Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

I wonder which is harder, knitting or crocheting....anyway I have been knitting for nine months now and I still don't have enough patience to finish a scarf.

I've repeatedly tried to teach myself to knit. It fails miserably everytime. On the other hand I loooove to crochet. It is joyous!

Then again, I know people in my knitting/crochet group that hates to crochet. Call it clumsy. And they speed knit.

So it kinda depends who you are and, I think, how your brain works.

Those are insanely awesome, Ukyo!

The second one of that list, with the really tiny squares, I would have gone mad.

I still haven't finished my Teal and Black blanket yet, but I took a break to work on some wrist cuffs.

http://diamondleaf.deviantart.com/#/d3cc051

I wanted to try the Spike Stitch.

I'm embroidering a bib for my soon-to-be-born baby cousin, I'll take a pic of my progress tonight :3 Edited by LightningRip

I've repeatedly tried to teach myself to knit. It fails miserably everytime. On the other hand I loooove to crochet. It is joyous!

Then again, I know people in my knitting/crochet group that hates to crochet. Call it clumsy. And they speed knit.

So it kinda depends who you are and, I think, how your brain works.

Some of the prejudice against crochet wrt "clumsy" is that it typically produces a bulkier, less drapey fabric that's less suitable for clothing. For example, my shoes would not fit over my socks if they were crocheted instead of knitted. However, if you need a blanket fast, crochet is the way to get it... and it will be stable & durable (unless it's a very open stitch pattern).

My experience has been that it's not just "how your brain works" but how dominantly "handed" you are, and what each of your hands is "good" at, wrt the task...

I'm a lefty who knits sort-of right handed -- my right hand holds the yarn, but my left moves the needle--

I have been knitting for nearly 45 years and my left hand has been unable to "get" holding the yarn.

(It's similar to trying to get your "other" hand to cut with scissors, even when they are the correct "handed" scissors for it).

If I'm doing stranded colorwork, I hold both colors with different fingers of my right hand, and "throw" the yarn, knitting "right handed."

If I knit "continental" I do it "left handed" so my right hand can hold the yarn.

I crochet left-handed, since the right hand gets to hold the yarn... laugh.gif

I don't enjoy crocheting as much as knitting, mostly because I'm product-oriented, and prefer to make wearable items. I frequently use crochet for edgings and trim on things I knit, but rarely make an entirely crocheted project.

edit to kill a teal deer tongue.gif

Edited by evilcostumelady

I do some sewing, I hope that counts. lol I've made countless pillows, receiving blankets, dresses, purses, and the like... Sadly no pictures though, the majority of my work is gifts x)

I'm also learning crochet, but that has a ways to go... I made a coaster/square thing so far! biggrin.gif

Coaster/square thing is a good start.

My first project was a looong black rectangle. I decided to fold it in threes and make a purse. A bad purse but it worked.

I have learned an easier way to knit! I am so happy!

http://diamondleaf.deviantart.com/art/Knitting-205672263

*dances*

Its so much easier than the way my mom taught me, in fact, she taught me left handed which everyone keeps saying. "Don't Kanaye, just don't."

Those are pretty cool, Kestra. I've never seen animals like those knitted, only crocheted.

I am currently on three projects, knitting myself a scarf, crocheting Mom's blanket, Crocheting Tyler's Blanket.

Busy Kanaye

Four years on, still not finished my dragon.

I wants to join, Kana-Chan! D: But I has nothing I'm working on atm. I can't even find my crochet needle ><

Sorry I've been MIA, or AWOL, or just plain PDQ (missing in action, absent without leave, and pretty darn quiet for the acronym-impaired), but I'm furiously working away on Mr. BD's manghan. Still have a foot and a half left to go before next weekend, which is my deadline for the thing (our anniversary).

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. xd.png

'Allo, all. smile.gif I've been meaning to poke my nose in here, but I kept forgetting.

Anyhow, I crochet--taught myself because my mother-in-law gave me a book of afghan patterns. I borrowed an instruction book from someone else who crocheted, and since I'm left-handed, I just tried to make sure my stitches looked like the pictures in the book, only backwards! laugh.gif

Currently, I'm working on an afghan for my newest grandson, and I'd *like* to finish it before his first birthday, which is in....20 days. If I get my butt in gear, I might just make it! I also have some little fuzzy critters that I'm making for my Etsy shop (don't worry, I'm not going to try to sell them here!). I do have a blog for stuff I've made, though I haven't updated it in forever. There are a few pics there, though. smile.gif

Crafty Dragon's Creations

Edited by Thecraftydragon

Welcome, Crafty! Glad you finally came by to say hi and share your work with us! I'm also a lefty and self-taught. Good luck with your grandson's afghan!

Hey Crafty! Good to see you!

It's almost next weekend, Niece BD, how you making out?

I just finished crocheting a cardigan, which I made up my own pattern for. (I know, I need to add pictures.)

Crochet! For the Win!

And I only say that because of my problems below.

I go to a knitting group, (I'm the only crocheter) and about three people are doing this knitted cardigan, including a larger woman. I hadn't wanted to do it, cause I didn't think I could make it for me. Lo and behold, I can!

So I buy the yarn, the needles, the little plastic gauge thingy and the pattern.

Warning, for those of you who haven't read every single one of my posts in here, I am not a knitter.

I just spent over 2 hours, trying to make a gauge swatch. Yes, only a gauge swatch.

I spent an hour and a half, trying to figure out how to purl in Continental. I managed to finish that gauge swatch, only to discover the pattern I am doing only calls for knit. *bangs her head on something sharp*

So, I undo that entire swatch, and then try doing one only in knit, except all the "How to's" I had been watching to figure out purl, had the yarn wrapped around a pinky, for tension. So I kept trying that. A little more than half hour of that, I gave up, said screw it and undid the little swatch for the 30th time.

I then tried to do just a regular knit swatch. Went really fast. 15 mins and I took it off the needles, only to realize I had needed to do at least 20 rows up and I had only done 12.

So I undid that swatch as well and I am putting it away.

Oh yeah, by the way, the swatch was only 15 stitches.

*starts to bang her head harder*

*looks at her long rant* I guess I scared everyone off.

Well then, I think you shall all be happy to know I am now 8 inches up on the back of my cardigan, which is what I was making the gauge swatch for.

I'm working on making a sleep mask. I procrastinate horribly.

Still working on Fuzzkins (the fuzzy critters I mentioned earlier).

Fuzzkins!

Also still working on my grandson's afghan--sadly, I did not finish it for his birthday. dry.gif So, I'll be trying to finish that up pretty quick.

Aww, those are so cute, Crafty!

Klinneah, I keep telling myself I need to make a sleep mask. At the moment I am using the sleeve of a shirt to cover my eyes. And yes, the sleeve is still attached to the shirt. Do you have a pattern?

I'm still working on my knitted Cardigan. I have the back finished, again. I had finished it once, found out it was two inches too short and so had to take it down to the armpits and add two more inches.

I have 1 panel done, now I just have to do the second panel and then the arms. Oh yeah, this is going well.

I'm actually taking a break and am starting to knit this : Scarflett/Cowl out of Super Soft Teal. I'm about 2½ inches up.

EDIT: I now have over a foot on m cowl but, since I have the Knitter's Group tonight, I'm gunna stop that for the moment.

I just started my second panel of my Cardigan, I have 5 inches so far.. Look at the pretty yarn I am using. Oh yeah, that yarn is actually in my siggy. The knitted blue and green thing. I actually took that apart.

Edited by Kanaye

Where are all the needlework people?

Anyways, I made two felted purses for Summer Reading Prizes at my Library.

The Knitted Purse

The Crocheted Purse

I actually like the knitted one better. It's cuter. Even if it didn't work like it was supposed to.

Now I am, once again, working on my friend's blanket. I have less than 1 foot to go. When it is complete, I shall take a pic and post it on here.

Im still fairly new to knitting. Ive only done one messy scarf, and a hat on a knitting loom.

I knit continental, though. So much faster and easier! biggrin.gif