Cavedragon49990

Phobias/Paranioa

Haha yeah, if everything people were mentioning were true phobias, I think most would've died from constant, stressful exposure by now =P

I remember growing up and watching horrible talk-shows that interviewed people who claimed to have phobias (and obsessions) of things like pickles, feathers, toilet paper...

I'm sure it's possible, but some of the more obscure phobias just sound so unlikely and for very little reason. If only phobias would be treated more seriously as a psychological condition.

You said it. It's very difficult explaining to people that I am phobic of insects. Yes, I have heard all about how they can't hurt me. Yes, I know that it's irrational. No, I cannot control it and you aren't going to be able to fix it.

Haha yeah, if everything people were mentioning were true phobias, I think most would've died from constant, stressful exposure by now =P

'Tis true...though people with phobias do manage to have them without dying of stress when they are in their teens.

Misophonia isn't a phobia and it's not psychological, but it can lead to phonophobia because having a full-on actual real-live fight-or-flight response to chewing sounds is stressful and it would be natural to develop a debilitating fear of sound from it!

Don't underestimate the human ability to deal with stress. Not always in good ways, and not always in ways that don't shorten our lifespans, but people live.

Sure, I'm still kicking here with my insectophobia, but if I were as phobic as I am of insects to something I COULD NOT avoid... I don't think I'd do so well.

I have a fear of spiders...I can't even get near one without sweating and shuddering. I also have to get someone else to kill it, or I will throw things at it. If for some reason I can't kill it, I will cry until someone does. I'm not without my flaws, but this particular fear is so startlingly intense...it is indescribable, and despicable, considering how many spiders I've had to interact with in the twenty-eight years of my life.

Also, insects...while not as bad as spiders, I still flip out if one touches me.

It's really hard to explain my ebodyemigphobia without people thinking I'm crazy. Hardly anyone believes how serious it is for me, and a lot of people who know about it tease me for having it. I'm really just waiting for someone to cross the line and shove something in my face that would trigger my phobia, like an open biology book, and cause me to attack them or something. This phobia is extremely irrational, so a lot of people don't take me seriously.

I have a very irrational fear of calling people on the phone. I don't know if it is a phobia or not but I just really really hate calling people. I am trying to get over it and it is getting a little better but I still hate it. I get really nervous, shaky, and when I actually do call that person half the time I don't hear what they say because I'm so nervous so I have to have them keep repeating what they say, which makes me feel worse about it. It's not so bad calling people I know, like friends, but I would still much rather text or meet them in person rather than call them. I hate having this fear too because ever since moving into my own apartment with my sister, who is still in school, I have to call so many people all the time and most of the time I put it off and that just makes it worse because then I have to think of an excuse as to why I didn't call them 3 weeks ago when I was supposed to.

I used to be extremely scared of driving, which is why I didn't get my license until I was 20, but after being pretty much forced into driving, I love it. I hate other drivers on the road and get pretty bad road rage at times; but for the most part I enjoy it. Not a phobia, obviously, just a fear that i got over.

I also have a fear (certainly not a phobia) of people in animal costumes (like people dressed up in an easter bunny costume). I remember when I was little and heard a story about a man who dressed up in an amusement park costume (I think he was dressed up as a Bernstein Bear) and abducted a little kid. Ever since I've been afraid of them. Not to the point where I freak out but I just try to avoid them at all costs.

Ok, I've really thought at it this time and I think I do have an actually phobia. Big growds and throwing up.

Whenever I'm in large crowds (even family) I get cold sweats and find that I can't move or breathe properly. Well... maybe throwing up isn't an actual phobia but I HATE it sooo much >.<

i dont really have any phobias, but i am really creeped out by dolls, mostly porcaline ones.

they are just really creepy, and i avoid them completely if at all possible.

^^ Yup, same here *Shiver*

I don't know wether it's a fear, phobia, or wether I'm just paranoid. But whenever I'm alone, and I can't hear anything to do with people, like a TV or something, then I just freak out and I want to leave. Really annoying while I'm in a park or something. Just sitting there, alone, I suddenly feel as if there is some sort of... create or monster behind me *Shiver*. I suppose that also happenes in the dark xd.png Anywhere I'm not used to, I just seem to imagine something I'm scared of following me, or jumping out... All those years ago, visiting my cousins when I was little... I was scared to go upstars, but when I did I can running back down the stairs...

I am terrified of needles and the thought of having to go through pain. My mother also scares me often. Don't ask why.

my phobias are of needles, insects (except small spiders....figure that out....and there is a story behind it), clowns, heights, and the strangest one of all.....hobos, i am afraid of hobos.....<.<......>.>....>.< dont judge me......

I am horrified of needles and talking in front of people. If I'm asked to give a speech, I'll get so scared that I'll eventually run out of the room. And needles... unsure.gif If I have to get a shot, I'll be fighting back the whole way.

Ticks. They are like vampire spiders that hunt you, live off of you for days, and get horrendously engorged with your blood. Also, they are practically invincible and you can't crush them unless they are engorged. I'm terrified to leave the house in tick season.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I'm not completely terrified, just a little paranoid about clowns, but not so much the ones that are meant to scare people; Santa Claus (even though he doesn't exist) and dolls.

I myself have a multitude of common phobias, including; heights, stinging insects, needles (oh dear lord not the needles!), dark, stage fright, and rejection. Needles, however, are my absolute worst fear. So much so, that when my aunt offered to give the family free Flu shots, I panicked and locked myself in our bathroom... (sue me, I'm only human... unsure.gif)

On a side note, my parents have similar fears. My dad can't stand Ticks in anyway, and whenever we find one he is halfway to the ER in a heart beat. And my mother can't stand snakes - which I hardly understand - to the point of panicking at a Garter Snake.

Ticks I can understand, those buggers aren't picky who or what their victim might be and can transmit some pretty heinous illnesses. Seeing a bunch of bulging parasites hanging off of some unfortunate animal really ticks me off (hurr). I think the fear of parasitic insects is something deeply ingrained into our instincts for rightful reasons.

Ticks are jerks.

The common fear of needles is something I don't quite understand, though. I mean, I'd be much more afraid of being stuck with a respectably large kitchen knife rather than a lil' needle. Walking along and finding a dirty needle on the sidewalk woulds be pretty repulsive, since you can just fathom what kind of viruses it boasts. But clean, hypodermic needles at a hospital? I find that stuff pretty intriguing, like when getting your blood drawn you can sometimes see the blood pumping out along with your heart rate. Tetanus shots suck though, feels like you got punched in the arm by the Hulk.

Wasps, Heights and mosnters!!! DL

I literrally start to cry if a wasp comes near me, one came into my class while we had an end of topic test, and i ran out of the room screaming tongue.gif

Heights, dear lord.

Monsters, they just kinda freak me out tongue.gif

Ticks I can understand, those buggers aren't picky who or what their victim might be and can transmit some pretty heinous illnesses. Seeing a bunch of bulging parasites hanging off of some unfortunate animal really ticks me off (hurr). I think the fear of parasitic insects is something deeply ingrained into our instincts for rightful reasons.

Ticks are jerks.

The common fear of needles is something I don't quite understand, though. I mean, I'd be much more afraid of being stuck with a respectably large kitchen knife rather than a lil' needle. Walking along and finding a dirty needle on the sidewalk woulds be pretty repulsive, since you can just fathom what kind of viruses it boasts. But clean, hypodermic needles at a hospital? I find that stuff pretty intriguing, like when getting your blood drawn you can sometimes see the blood pumping out along with your heart rate. Tetanus shots suck though, feels like you got punched in the arm by the Hulk.

PLUS you can't just brush a tick off of you like you can any other insect. You have to go find tweezers and extract them or use your fingers(SICK) and rip them out, which hurts. I found one that was very engorged on my dog and when I pulled it out it made him yelp. It must have hurt a lot, because this dog has hit his head on the corner of the granite countertops and never made a sound.

The common fear of needles is something I don't quite understand, though. I mean, I'd be much more afraid of being stuck with a respectably large kitchen knife rather than a lil' needle.

Well, to be fair, if someone is coming at me with a knife, I'm free to try to get out of the way. If a doctor is trying to stick me with a needle, I'm expected to sit still and let them do it. tongue.gif

Though in my case, it has something to do with the fact that when I was young, I was given a blood test by a nurse who clearly had no idea what she was doing and made a mess of the job. Ever since then, I've been freaked out by the whole procedure.

Agreeing with the feat of ticks. I absolutely hate ticks. Hate hate hate. Pretty much one of the only insects I absolutely won't tolerate...

As a side note, guys, guess what? I'm almost entirely over my wrist phobia. =D I mean, I'm still terrified of tendons, but my fear of the ones in my wrists has dulled. I can stand looking at them now without throwing up. ^^

I really really really dislike feet......I would tell you why but it happened when i was like 7 but i remember it so well........*shudders*

It really doesn't help that the majority of shots and the like I've received have either been tetanus shots, or blood tests. The tetanus shots hurt like being shot by a riot gun. The blood tests scare me terribly. First off, the needle itself, secondly, just the whole process of removing blood from the body. It reminds me too much of a MASSIVE tick *shudders*

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm extremely scared of the dark. When I'm in the dark, I start to get really scared and my heart starts beating fast. Sometimes I can't breath of I cry because I'm so scared. I really can't stand in the dark. Just talking about it makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes, I even get sick because of how terrified I get. I believe nyctophobia would be the right name. I say nyctophobia because I have nothing to do but sit down, cover my eyes, and cry when I get into a dark room.

EDIT: Also, here's some clarification. Nyctophobia is an extreme fear of the dark. It's to the point where it's incapacitating for the person that has it. Achluophobia is the fear of darkness as well, but it does not nearly cripple you like nyctophobia does.

Edited by Icepelt