Kanakha

New Dragon Raising Method Development

EDIT: As of the time of this post, TJ has not confirmed a date for the implementation of the new badge-based scroll limits. I simply created this topic in anticipation and preparation of that event. Sorry for any confusion.

So I was thinking about my current method of locking my scroll with hatchlings and eggs, and it got me thinking about how I would apply it to the upcoming increased scroll limits.

Usually what I do when my scroll is completely free, I get four eggs from the cave or AP, then breed one. If the option is available (which it usually is), I incubate three of them and once they hatch, I have three hatchlings, two eggs. I then go to back to the cave or AP and get two more eggs and breed one more, resulting in three hatchlings, four eggs. Then I incubate one of the first eggs, which usually hatches right away, resulting in four hatchlings, four eggs, and I breed one more egg. Four hatchlings, five eggs. Ultralock.

My scroll population is finally nearing Gold status, which means when the new limits are implemented I'll be able to get up to 7 eggs at one time (21 eggs/hatchlings total). While those numbers are total heaven to me, I'm not quite sure how I will go about Ultralocking my scroll.

I've created this topic so that we can discuss developing methods of raising dragons under the upcoming Standard, Bronze, Silver, and Gold limits.

edit: I realize that this topic could be extremely short-lived, because really all it takes is some math solving. But it's here, and it's for those who in the future will need the answer to the question. I hope to have it organized by the end of the development, and then I'll request that it be pinned for reference (or put on the DC Wiki)

For reference:

Egg/Hatchling Limits

* Changing to 4 eggs / 12 total, regardless of whether or not you're breeding, grabbing from cave, or whatnot.

* With a bronze badge, the limit goes up to 5 eggs/15 total

* Silver badge, 6 eggs/18 total

* Gold badge, 7 eggs/21 total

Discuss and Develop!

-Kan

Edited by Kanakha

Has admin ever confirmed if those limits work the same way as current limits? Ex, if I have a gold badge, seven eggs, and no hatchlings, am I locked?

Also, ultralock looks nice but might not be the most efficient way to raise eggs, depending on how precisely you time the picking up/breeding of new eggs. You also deprive yourself of opportunities to pick up awesome stuff or trade for more dragons. I'm pretty sure my dragon-raising rate is higher than that of someone who follows your method because I'm continually trading for low-time hatchlings.

Edited by kadoatie

TJ did clarify and it's not quite the same as current limits. At the gold badge level (7/21), you are only locked when you have seven eggs *OR* 21 total eggs and hatchies. So if you have 6 eggs and 14 hatchies, or 20 hatchies and no eggs, you can adopt. But with 7 eggs and no hatchies you're locked (unless you incubate out of it).

@Kadoatie: True. I've often found that my method isn't exactly as efficient as I'd like it to be. That's why I made this topic, so we can discuss and develop a method that is efficient and works under the upcoming limits smile.gif

Edited by Kanakha

Well, I think mine's going to be fairly simple. Adopt eggs until I'm one short of being locked (so I can always hunt for rares in the cave). Incubate everything. Adopt hatchies to fill in the cracks.

By the way, I'm not sure if being locked will actually prevent us from trading with Teleport or not. A 1:1 trade might still be possible.

Trading and AP-catching is unpredictable, though, so we can't really do math on when it happens /shrugs

I am hoping to be able to use incubate whenever I need to catch an egg in trade or by hunting, I can't imagine having all 21 slots filled at once ------ at least not for very long wink.gif

I am hoping to be able to use incubate whenever I need to catch an egg in trade or by hunting, I can't imagine having all 21 slots filled at once ------ at least not for very long wink.gif

That will be my goal. smile.gif To keep all 21 slots locked as often as possible.

Ohmaaaan, I hadn't even thought as far ahead as that. Clearly this is something I must ponder on further.

I usually go egg hunting till I'm full. Then incubate them and fill in the cracks as well. Which works out some of the time, but I know that I couldn't just incubate and have hatchlings all at the same time. Trading off works because I then have something to look forward to. /ramble

I'll just be lurking in this thread, don't mind me. ^^"

I agree, Sinsdaemn, I haven't given it much thought! I usually just collect eggs till I scroll lock, then breed. Now I'll have to think about it.

I'll probably pick up one egg shy of the limit so I can have an open slot. It's harder finding hatchlings I need off the AP, but I'll do it once the limits kick in.

That will be my goal. smile.gif To keep all 21 slots locked as often as possible.

Me too.

I would like the challenge of really doing it though. I have often locked myself with 5 eggs, 4 hatchies, but timing everything to the point of having 14 hatchies will be pretty cool, won't it?

I would need a lot more reds, though. I have 38 adults, and 2 hatchies.

Yup, need a lot more.

Me too.

I would like the challenge of really doing it though. I have often locked myself with 5 eggs, 4 hatchies, but timing everything to the point of having 14 hatchies will be pretty cool, won't it?

I would need a lot more reds, though. I have 38 adults, and 2 hatchies.

Yup, need a lot more.

59 reds, 1 red hatchie and 1 red egg for me. smile.gif I'd love to lock myself with 21 hatchies. smile.gif

With 6 eggs and 18 total spaces (silver badge) I'm probably going to incubate all the eggs I catch / breed

Hmm.. now that you make me think of it, I need moooore reds tongue.gif

This is just mind-boggling. Twenty-one unfrozen hatchlings at a time? Wooww. To think, having eight or nine hatchlings at a time will be commonplace.

I don't think I'm gonna be pulling too much math into this, personally. I'll just try to stay locked tight with things that I want as much as possible, like I do now.

eta, I hope TJ adjusts the freezing limit. It's too low as is. Ten per two weeks is way too low if I could feasibly raise forty or fifty dragons in that time.

Edited by SlowHornpipe172

eta, I hope TJ adjusts the freezing limit. It's too low as is. Ten per two weeks is way too low if I could feasibly raise forty or fifty dragons in that time.

I definitely agree. That thread has made no progress so far, but I'm still hoping...

I can't wait for these new limits, though. Wasted slots because one type of dragon is locked while the other is empty is really annoying.

I'll probably use Incubate with all the eggs.

Imagine how scrolls would look if someone has 7 eggs and 21 hatchies all at once! tongue.gif

I hadn't really though about it much, and I probably won't even now. I tend to fall into a comfortable groove, rather than sticking to a formula, as otherwise it gets unnecessarily stressful.

59 reds, 1 red hatchie and 1 red egg for me. smile.gif I'd love to lock myself with 21 hatchies. smile.gif

Urghh. I only have around 24 reds and almost all are related.

I was under the impression that even if you have 7 eggs you'd still be unlocked with regards to hatchlings?

With six eggs and eighteen spaces I'm going to try and time everything down to the minute as well as use the incubate bsa to keep from locking. I want to have the full eighteen at a time.

But thinking about, I don't think that I would be able to get so many hatchlings, first, it would be hard to check for sickness and second, I would have no sense of when they would grow up.

...it would be hard to check for sickness...

Allure of Neglected Dragons does that check for you; just select the option when you submit your name.

But I agree, keeping track of times for that many dragons, even when several of the fansites also show that, will still be a challenge. I honestly think it'll be easier than currently, though -- all you'll have to worry about is egg number and total number. Not egg number, hatchling number, and total number.

It's definitely an interesting thought, and I'll probably follow this thread in case any genius ideas show up (as they probably will).

If the changes happened tomorrow (theoretically), and I was forced to work the plans I already have in my head, I'd probably do this.

Catch 3 eggs. (g1)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

Catch 3 eggs. (g2)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G1 hatches.

Catch 3 eggs. (g3)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G2 hatches.

Catch 3 eggs. (g4)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G3 hatches.

And on and on.

Of course, when the changes actually do come around and I can do some experimentation I'll work out a better method, but that's all I have for now.

Edited by Pink

It's definitely an interesting thought, and I'll probably follow this thread in case any genius ideas show up (as they probably will).

If the changes happened tomorrow (theoretically), and I was forced to work the plans I already have in my head, I'd probably do this.

Catch 3 eggs. (g1)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

Catch 3 eggs. (g2)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G1 hatches.

Catch 3 eggs. (g3)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G2 hatches.

Catch 3 eggs. (g4)

Incubate.

Wait 1 day.

G3 hatches.

And on and on.

Of course, when the changes actually do come around and I can do some experimentation I'll work out a better method, but that's all I have for now.

I tend to pick up AP eggs, so there isn't a need for me to waste all my incubates.

I have 7 hatchlings, 5 of which were picked up and hatched in the last hour. I only incubated 3 of them. The other 2 were picked up as ERs. (I don't care that those 2 are inbred.)

I only have 42 adult reds, 2 hatchlings and 1 egg. I need moar.