TJ09

Grammar Patrol

9 hours ago, Adrak said:

I would argue that just because a word is more archaic, it doesn't exactly mean its wrong just because its become uncommon. Its not necessarily bad grammar, its just an older way of talking/spelling.

Couldn't agree more. And I do NOT like the idea of their having sprightly calls; I wouldn't be lured by something vivacious. Too tiring.

ANYWAY:

Adjective[edit]

spritely (comparative spritelier, superlative spriteliest)

1. Of or relating to a sprite.
  2. Alternative spelling of sprightly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spritely

Magnesium amphiphtere has 'breath' instead of 'breathe' in its description

There appears to be a typo in the description of the Spotted Teal drake. Surely "high-pitcher" is meant to be "high-pitched".

For the Sabertooth Bull Drakes, please change "Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon" to "Aww... It’s a cute baby drake."

These guys were made before the drake descriptions were updated, and I would like them to be corrected, please.

Posted (edited)

all from the encyclopedia! i think the subtle variation from entry to entry adds to the immersion & really makes everything feel like organic field notes, but some things go a little beyond a lack of unnecessary nouns and stray more into ‘clunky’ territory which can be jarring ^^’ no shade for these, i just saw this thread and figured i could spend some time compiling things while finally sitting down to read the full encyclopedia!

edit: adding the corrections! sorry if i shouldnt, just wanted to make sure i could get across properly what sounded funky to me ^v^

general grammar / consistency

1. avea pygmy - Avea Pygmy have small scales that grow tightly against the hide.  [ avea pygmies, their hide]
  2. avea pygmy - Avea Pygmy’s have dark black eyes that have multi colored specks.  [ avea pygmies, multicolored ]
  3. avea pygmy - Female Avea Pygmies are dominate and the largest female rules the group. [ dominant ]
  4. vampire dragon - Emanciated chest and stomach area. [probably meant to be emaciated? emanciated is still a word so i wanted to clarify xD]

syntax / flow

1. aeria gloris dragon Outer layer extremely smooth and almost velvety-feeling, highly sensitive, and outer layer is shed in one piece regularly. [ suggestion(s) - extremely smooth, highly sensitive and almost velvety-feeling outer layer which is shed in one piece regularly / outer layer extremely smooth, almost velvety-feeling, highly sensitive and shed in one piece regularly ]
  2. aeria gloris dragon - Blue glow from eyes and markings on side and wings is bioelectrical in nature.  [ suggestion - blue glow from eyes, dorsal markings and wings is bioelectrical in nature. ]
  3. avea pygmyAvea Pygmies diet is heavily based on dark green leafy plants. [ suggestion(s) - an avea pygmy’s diet is heavily based on / their diet is heavily based on / avea pygmies have a diet heavily based on ]
  4. balloon dragon - Balloon dragons are red with a cream colored belly. Individual color variations vary, slightly. [ suggestion(s) - individual colors may vary slightly / individuals may have slight color variations ]
Edited by thamnophis

Posted (edited)

image.png.f7660c9728fd5172c0ebb5554970c948.png
Cantormaris mature hatchling description is missing a line break / paragraph. It displays as such:

Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. Its soft chirps capture your attention.And look! It's grown larger and its horns have developed vibrant markings. It must be close to maturing!

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

Another missing space, in https://dragcave.net/userdesc. There probably should be a space between "1" and "Frozen".

image.png.3ae31483d75622b3d12a58da931b7067.png

Edited by 0x08
Didn't realize the first image was huge

Seen on mobile when trying to report a trade. Random apostrophe between "trade" and "creator" (presumably meant to be a slash?).Screenshot_20210826-221339.png.3804ee5a0b9514fd5093c500b5974793.png

Posted (edited)

Encyclopedia entry for Blusang Lindwyrm:

• Lindwurms that lack hind legs.
    • Lindwyrms that lack hind legs.
  • Vocal and talk to other hatchlings with a variety of chirps and sqeaks.

• Vocal, talk to other hatchlings with a variety of chirps and squeaks.

• Sometimes graze on seawood.

• Sometimes graze on seaweed. [?]

Edited by 0x08

Iratus Cantormaris Dragons are a chaotic, malevolant breed of coastal-dwellers. -Bold should be spelled malevolent.

While this can be achieved though conventional means like aggression, (from the description of the Amarignis dragon) -Bold should be through.

They try, with little sucess, (taken from the description of the Aquilo Xenowyrm) -Bold should be spelled success.

Edited by LadyLoki
ETA

I was looking at my dragons and the list of artist names at the bottom unwittingly highlighted an error:

[...] Dolphinsong, Dovealove, dracchan, Dracchan, Fiona BlueFire, Fiona Bluefire, Glass_Walker, Hawaiianbabidoll, [...]

There are at least two names that appear twice because they are capitalized differently. 😮

[ETA] I did some cross-checking and found the "culprit" breeds.

• Ember Dragon (dracchan, correct capitalization based on scroll and forum name)
  • Fever Wyvern (Dracchan)
  • Copper Dragon (Fiona BlueFire, correct capitalization based on other breeds she worked on)
  • Kovos Pygmy (Fiona Bluefire)
Edited by 0x08

Green Dragon Encyclopedia entry, Hatchling Behavior:

• Hatchlings compete to see who can launch their rock piles the furtherst.

Should be furthest.

The adult descriptions for Sabertooth Bull Drakes and Mirisia Amphipteres contain byte order marks.

Aquilo Xenowyrm adult description:

They try, with little sucess, to get the more foul-tempered Astrapi to join in their games.

success