TJ09

Grammar Patrol

9 hours ago, Adrak said:

I would argue that just because a word is more archaic, it doesn't exactly mean its wrong just because its become uncommon. Its not necessarily bad grammar, its just an older way of talking/spelling.

Couldn't agree more. And I do NOT like the idea of their having sprightly calls; I wouldn't be lured by something vivacious. Too tiring.

ANYWAY:

Adjective[edit]

spritely (comparative spritelier, superlative spriteliest)

1. Of or relating to a sprite.
  2. Alternative spelling of sprightly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spritely

Magnesium amphiphtere has 'breath' instead of 'breathe' in its description

There appears to be a typo in the description of the Spotted Teal drake. Surely "high-pitcher" is meant to be "high-pitched".

For the Sabertooth Bull Drakes, please change "Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon" to "Aww... It’s a cute baby drake."

These guys were made before the drake descriptions were updated, and I would like them to be corrected, please.

Posted (edited)

all from the encyclopedia! i think the subtle variation from entry to entry adds to the immersion & really makes everything feel like organic field notes, but some things go a little beyond a lack of unnecessary nouns and stray more into ‘clunky’ territory which can be jarring ^^’ no shade for these, i just saw this thread and figured i could spend some time compiling things while finally sitting down to read the full encyclopedia!

edit: adding the corrections! sorry if i shouldnt, just wanted to make sure i could get across properly what sounded funky to me ^v^

general grammar / consistency

1. avea pygmy - Avea Pygmy have small scales that grow tightly against the hide.  [ avea pygmies, their hide]
  2. avea pygmy - Avea Pygmy’s have dark black eyes that have multi colored specks.  [ avea pygmies, multicolored ]
  3. avea pygmy - Female Avea Pygmies are dominate and the largest female rules the group. [ dominant ]
  4. vampire dragon - Emanciated chest and stomach area. [probably meant to be emaciated? emanciated is still a word so i wanted to clarify xD]

syntax / flow

1. aeria gloris dragon Outer layer extremely smooth and almost velvety-feeling, highly sensitive, and outer layer is shed in one piece regularly. [ suggestion(s) - extremely smooth, highly sensitive and almost velvety-feeling outer layer which is shed in one piece regularly / outer layer extremely smooth, almost velvety-feeling, highly sensitive and shed in one piece regularly ]
  2. aeria gloris dragon - Blue glow from eyes and markings on side and wings is bioelectrical in nature.  [ suggestion - blue glow from eyes, dorsal markings and wings is bioelectrical in nature. ]
  3. avea pygmyAvea Pygmies diet is heavily based on dark green leafy plants. [ suggestion(s) - an avea pygmy’s diet is heavily based on / their diet is heavily based on / avea pygmies have a diet heavily based on ]
  4. balloon dragon - Balloon dragons are red with a cream colored belly. Individual color variations vary, slightly. [ suggestion(s) - individual colors may vary slightly / individuals may have slight color variations ]
Edited by thamnophis

yes - that does irritate me, too....