TJ09

Grammar Patrol

8 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Not while they're in the making, at least. When I pointed out some grammar & spelling errors in an already quite elaborate breed description in Dragon Requests, I've just been told to get lost, more or less, as all the OP wanted to deal with was sprites, no text. With that kind of attitude, I'm not surprised at what we sometimes see go live ...

It's frustrating to see some of the bad grammar that I see.

Noticed a teeny tiny issue on the Blancblack breed description:

Blancblack dragons are a two-headed breed known for their hardiness and easygoing nature. They are omnivorous, with the cream head preferring to eat plants and the violet head preferring to eat meat, and can adjust readily to harsh climates. These dragons are sociable—both with other two-headed breeds and with single-headed dragons—and can often be found as adopted members of social dragon colonies. They are often considered symbols of balance and fairness, and likenesses of Blancblacks have been found in ancient ruins associated with law and justice. Females Blancblacks have longer tails than males, which they use as whips when defending a nest from predators.

"Females Blancblacks" should be "Females" or "Female Blancblacks"

Sunrise Dragon encyclopedia page under Habitat has "Typcally" 

Edited by w0rmg0d

Avea Pygmy encyclopedia page has "Avea Pygmy’s have dark black eyes that have multi colored specks" - Pygmies* and multicolored*

(Also, what is "dark black?") 

Edited by w0rmg0d

The Blusang Lindwyrm's Encyclopedia page, on the Diet section has "Sometimes graze on seawood." I'm not sure if this is supposed to be seaweed or seafood (probably the former?), but in any case seawood is not a word.

Found another one! The Vampire's encyclopedia page says "Emanciated chest and stomach area." I believe the right word is emaciated.

Edited by thalassophobic
Found another typo

Just noticed these, also in Avea Pygmy encyclopedia page:

> Female Avea Pygmies are dominate and... 

> Avea Pygmies diet is... 

Idk if this goes here or where, but the Carmine Wyvern encyclopedia page says:

> Three pointed, hard chin spikes

when the sprite pretty clearly has four.

These two are both from the Geminae Dragon encyclopedia page:

> Even when young, Geminae display an uncanny intellect, sometimes capabvle of outsmarting adult dragons.

> Temperature don’t appear to be a concern.

Edited by w0rmg0d

Starsingers are an all-female breed but this encyclopedia entry implies that they exist in both genders:

Vocal range differs wildly in the population from bass to soprano and everything in between, with no favoring between genders of either side of the range

This isn't necessarily a grammar thing, but I've just noticed that when you abandon a TRADED CB egg, it gives you the same action text, "outside the cave where you found it".

Just a sort of continuity error since you didn't actually find the egg outside a cave if it was traded to you.  No biggie just thought I'd stick that here -- maybe the "a familiar-looking cave" description would work better for anything that was traded.

From the Aquilo view page, emphasis used for visual aid:

Originating from a single species that thrived in ancient times, Xenowyrms have become an incredibly diverse breed whose appearances vary depending on their habitats. Each Xenowyrm subspecies is heavily reliant on the power of different types of mana, making them powerful magic users. Aquilo live high in the firmament and are almost never seen on the ground. They are all too happy to greet travelers going through the mountains, and also seeing their panic as the Aquilos dive from great heights towards them, only to change course at the last moment and soar back into the sky. Many Aquilo enjoy testing their agility and mastery of air magics in dangerous feats of flying at one another, only to twist and harmlessly pass one another in intricate patterns. They try, with little sucess, to get the more foul-tempered Astrapi to join in their games.

Minor typo, sucess should be success.

Edited by Omen

On 11/20/2020 at 5:31 PM, Dekka said:

No biggie just thought I'd stick that here -- maybe the "a familiar-looking cave" description would work better for anything that was traded.

I believe that message is specifically for eggs you bred (i.e. have the self-bred view bonus). I don't think the game tracks whether an egg has been traded, at the moment.

New release has a tiny typo. 

The description on TJ's hatchies reads:

Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon. Its soft chirps capture your attention.And look! It’s grown larger and its horns have developed vibrant markings. It must be close to maturing!

There's no space between the initial description and the 'mature' addition.

In the Iratus Cantormaris adult description, “malevolent” is misspelled. 

Edited by Rosastrasza

On the Guidelines section of the forum, the very first line reads "QAll members must follow these rules".

Looks like he misspelling of "malevolent" in the Iratus Cantormaris description hasn't been fixed yet.

Additionally, the word "spritely" in the Itus Cantormaris description ("They use their spritely calls to lure people...") looks fishy to me. Sprite in the sense of an elf, fairy, or apparition has spright as an archaic form, but without delving into the fun etymological spiral there, neither the noun form of spright nor the adjective spritely seem to be used today. The phrase should use "sprightly" if the calls are spirited and vivacious or "sprite-like" if they are meant to evoke an elfin or fairylike sound.

There is a small error in the description of the Amarignis dragons, I believe/

"While this can be achieved though conventional means like aggression" -- should that not be through?

On 2/4/2021 at 6:05 AM, infiniteviking said:

Additionally, the word "spritely" in the Itus Cantormaris description ("They use their spritely calls to lure people...") looks fishy to me. Sprite in the sense of an elf, fairy, or apparition has spright as an archaic form, but without delving into the fun etymological spiral there, neither the noun form of spright nor the adjective spritely seem to be used today. The phrase should use "sprightly" if the calls are spirited and vivacious or "sprite-like" if they are meant to evoke an elfin or fairylike sound.

I had been wondering where else I had seen "spritely" before, and now I found it:

Luminox Wyverns are a spritely breed, though their sharp beaks and talons may suggest otherwise.

Incidentally, their desciption "Luminox Wyverns" doesn't match their Encyclopedia name "Luminox Dragon" ...

Likewise, "Razorcrest Wyvern" vs "Razorcrest Dragon" ...

On 2/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

I had been wondering where else I had seen "spritely" before, and now I found it:

Aha! Yes, same issue there, it looks like "sprightly" would be more appropriate for the Luminoxes too. Thanks for catching that!

There is a mistake in the Magnesium Amphipteres' description: "these dragons can breath blindingly bright, powdery flame from both heads."

Breath is a noun. The word should be breathe, which is a verb.

Eradors are gleefully aware of this effect, and seem to make a point of cultivating and mending as many relationships as they can, be them romantic or otherwise.

From the Erador description - should be "they".

Rift wyrms are missing the second part of the S2 hatchie description: "Aww... it's a cute baby dragon. It had four eyes and a habit of popping up unexpectedly. And look! It's started vanishing into mysterious holes in the air!"

It's not really a grammar issue -

Soft chirping sounds are coming from inside the egg. - All the other eggs say 'this egg' not 'the egg'.

8 hours ago, Lagie said:

It's not really a grammar issue -

Soft chirping sounds are coming from inside the egg. - All the other eggs say 'this egg' not 'the egg'.

Oh god this bothered me too from the day they were released but I was worried I was just being annoying about it in my head. Glad it isn't just me lol

Edited by Seel

On 2/3/2021 at 11:05 PM, infiniteviking said:

I would argue that just because a word is more archaic, it doesn't exactly mean its wrong just because its become uncommon. Its not necessarily bad grammar, its just an older way of talking/spelling.

9 hours ago, Adrak said:

I would argue that just because a word is more archaic, it doesn't exactly mean its wrong just because its become uncommon. Its not necessarily bad grammar, its just an older way of talking/spelling.

Couldn't agree more. And I do NOT like the idea of their having sprightly calls; I wouldn't be lured by something vivacious. Too tiring.

ANYWAY:

Adjective[edit]

spritely (comparative spritelier, superlative spriteliest)

1. Of or relating to a sprite.
  2. Alternative spelling of sprightly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spritely

Magnesium amphiphtere has 'breath' instead of 'breathe' in its description