TJ09

Grammar Patrol

People repeatedly say we need a thread where people can report spelling or grammar mistakes that are found on the site.

Now we have one.

EDIT: Everyone's like "WHAT?!? TJ POSTED A NEW TOPIC?!? OMG."

Sorry to say that there's not much to see here.

No need to post corrected versions; just pointing out the error is sufficient. Site typos aren't the result of ignorance but rather just things I didn't notice while proofreading the description.

Edited by TJ09

Dunno if this is the right place for this, or if it should be a suggestion, but since it's such a tiny thing...

Just noticed on my GoN that it has an "Egg Stolen on" date. Bred eggs have an "Egg Laid on" date, marking them as different from eggs stolen from the Cave. Shouldn't GoN's have an "Egg Summoned on" date? It wasn't technically bred or stolen. Unless we're supposed to have stolen them from our Trio dragons? o.O;

Not a typo exactly, but more just misleading... When you look at your own scroll, it says "You have stolen the following dragons:". That is misleading (and a little annoying), since many of the dragons on my scroll were bred. They were never "stolen", they have been on my scroll since they were created.

But there really is no happy medium between the two, because what if half of your eggs are stolen and half bred? Saying "You have bred or stolen or summoned the following dragons.." is sort of awkward. I like the stolen part, and would like to keep it. (except for the GoN eggs.)

I'm not really sure if this has been mentioned here before, but assuming that all "queued" changes have taken place, then I may as well mention it now: "off of" in the nebula egg description is quite grating. :S

EDIT: On the "stolen" point, perhaps there is an alternative word that doesn't denote a method of acquisition? "Domesticated" or "Adopted", maybe?

Edited by angelmischa

how about "You have Acquired the following dragons?"

that covers everything. it means you 'got' them. from the AP, the cave, breeding your dragons, summoning or a trade. it works for everything.

EDIT: I can't spell. oh the irony.

Edited by dracocharky

Was checking to see whether the grammar and spelling mistakes on the new dragons had been addressed, and they have, so yay! smile.gif

I had this thought for the whole debate on how to refer to the dragons on our scrolls. How about:

"You are caring for the following dragons:"

or

"You are tending the following dragons:"

?

On the Actions page:

Actions

At each stage of growth, there are several actions that may be performed on an egg, hatchling, or dragon. To access a creature's actions, click on "Scroll" from the top menu, then click on the link labeled "Actions" next to the creature you want to perform an action on.

The link goes to your Account page, not your Dragons page.

Edited by stogucheme

As for the scroll thing, wouldn't it be much simpler to just say You own the following dragons:? XD

Edited by Ferus

I found one more thing: On the wiki, it says in the descriptions of the Dino eggs "This egg looks like it doesn't belong..."

It should be "This egg looks as if it doesn't belong."

I'm not sure if the wiki is outdated, though.

Edited by adiw

The Site Discussion area's description needs a period at the end.

In the Dickens story, on the third page, one set of quotation marks is encoded differently than all the others, so that they appear as garbled characters. A copy-paste from a working set of quotation marks would suffice to fix this. It is probable that the mistake is only viewable with certain browser/OS combinations. I am using Firefox on Linux.

Hey ya'll; I'm on one of my annual attempts to name/describe all of my dragons, and while reading through breed descriptions to figure out personalities, a part of the text that goes with all dragons caught my eye.

Namely, the "Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years" part, which is at the bottom of the first paragraph of an adult dragon's description.

Now, maybe I'm just being a picky writer, but I really think that '2' in there should be replaced with the word 'two.' I can understand actually using numbers when you're dealing with massive unwieldy figures like 2,038 or 115 or whatever the case might be, but I feel like numbers that can be expressed with a single word or two really ought to be spelled out rather than just having the number thrown in there. It just sort of... breaks the visual flow of the text, if that makes sense? ;;

So yah, what do you guys think? Am I being an overly picky writer or would this be a nice little cosmetic fix?

Okay, found one. I was browsing around the Help section when...

http://dragcave.net/help/actions#abandon

"At each stage of growth, there are several actions that may be performed on an egg, hatchling, or dragon. To access a creature's actions, click on "Scroll" from the top menu, then click on the link labeled "Actions" next to the creature you want to perform an action on."

Eh, it should be "Dragons" instead of "Scrolls", I think.

When you breed a multiclutch and decide to Keep one, it always says that you abandon the 1 other egg from the same parents, even if there were more than one. Why not have it just say "the other egg(s)"? That covers any number.

Actually, as far as I know, canceled is the American spelling while cancelled is the British spelling. :3

Suggestion for the Help page in the cave:

Earthquake

Can be performed on: All eggs.

Change Can to Will. To me, Can implies choosing which eggs it will affect. Will implies I have no choice in which eggs are affected.

It can affect all eggs. Sometimes, it will just affect certain ones.

But overall, it earthquakes everything (even fogged eggs, but might not affect it.) Depends how you define the word "perform." Either it tries to do something to it, or if it already does something to it.

What about "May affect all eggs?"

That solves the problem nicely, I think.

From the Account page:

Festival of Eggs

View eggs collected during the 2010 or 2011 Festival of Eggs events.

Just an oversight, we also had eggs in 2012.

(For the long-run it might be best to determine a rewording that wouldn't require annual updates.)

^ I would think "View eggs collected during the annual Festival of Eggs events." would work for a long run change? smile.gif

*Originally posted in Tiny Little Questions, but it may not have been the best place*

Not a typo but...

Isn't it a bit conflicting (and confusing to new players) that the information for clicks in the cave's link says that "clicks ... must be accumulated ..." and then goes to say that they are "not necessary"?

Can/should something be done to clear that up?

Taken from http://dragcave.net/help/terminology#clicks

I didn't realize that that was in the terminology. It explains why so many come to help asking about "clicks" then getting jumped on by the other members cause, "Clicks aren't necessary." Maybe there could be something that differentiated between the types of stats, like:

There are 3 types of stats our eggs/hatchlings need: views, unique views, and clicks.

1.Views= I click on your scroll link, each egg and hatchling on your scroll gets a view. They get another view each time I click your scroll link, as long as the view to unique view ratio isn't 15:1.

2.Unique views= The first time I click your scroll link as above, each egg and hatchling gets a unique view, this only happens 1 time for each viewer (or IP).

3.Clicks= After I am looking at your scroll, if I click on an egg or hatchling, I give it a click. This, like unique views happens 1 time for each person (or IP) who clicks.

so newbies don't get so confused.

Dunno if this is the right place for this, or if it should be a suggestion, but since it's such a tiny thing...

Just noticed on my GoN that it has an "Egg Stolen on" date. Bred eggs have an "Egg Laid on" date, marking them as different from eggs stolen from the Cave. Shouldn't GoN's have an "Egg Summoned on" date? It wasn't technically bred or stolen. Unless we're supposed to have stolen them from our Trio dragons? o.O;

same with adopted eggs. they arent stolen they are saved...shouldnt that too say "egg adopted on" or "egg saved on"