sapphiredragon73

Horses

I know from books and stuff how to do it, and in my lesson on Thursday I had a good look at where on her back the saddle was placed. X3

Well, yea xd.png I'm just really dumb and forgot what I was going to say. But congrats, anyway :3 let me know how she works out. I'm excited for you.

It was amazing! biggrin.gif Even though we weren't allowed to jump on a Saturday, it was so much fun. cool.gif I managed quite well with everything. Duchess. Yeah, I know, her noseband is wonky. xd.png

I love horses! We have a lot of horse farms around here and hopefully one day I can have at least one of my own.

It was amazing! biggrin.gif Even though we weren't allowed to jump on a Saturday, it was so much fun. cool.gif I managed quite well with everything. Duchess. Yeah, I know, her noseband is wonky. xd.png

Oh she's just precious! I'm jealous D:

I like horses but were I live, we can't have any because of no space. They are very graceful creatures by how they move

Not sure if making a new topic for this was appropriate but I hope there are some vets around here.

My horse got a cut about half an inch above her eye and I keep putting medicine on it but then she'll roll and get dirt in it and I put the medicine on it almost everyday, and yet, it gets dirty again, no matter how much I clean it.

It's kinda wide and kinda deep, but it didn't look to serious, but I think it's gotten infected. Would it be best to call out a real vet, or is there anyway to get it to heal on it's own?

~edit~

Haha, new page. happy.gif

Edited by mickiloo97

Came across this when browsing the web:

user posted image

...Ive never seen a horse do that

ohmy.gif

Attempted capriolé, seriously botched! sad.gif

Hope they're okay…I've seen a horse die from flipping over like that — smashed his withers to smithereens.

I moved to Japan about 4 1/2 years ago and after living in SC for many years I was really missing seeing horses. I think I saw ONE horse in a local shrine festival in the whole 4 years. I went with my friend up to Gifu and one of the parks up there, and we found a horse trailer at the mountain park that was apparently a riding school giving trail rides and lessons around the lake. All the horses were TINY (like maybe 12-14 hands, lol) and some kid was getting a lesson, but I had to ask the horse-trailer owners if it was ok if I petted the horses just hanging around.

I hadn't touched a horse for probably 6 years so it was nice to pat one again. I made quick friends with a mare that was really thankful for back-scratches.

Also my Japanese is not very good, so I mostly had to beg with gestures.

But I'd like to report that horse-people are apparently the same in Japan as well as the US, and when these people saw in a few seconds that I have been around horses before, they just said "enjoy" and went about their business. Very cool people, very cool horses.

Aaargh I miss horses sad.gif

I'm so indifferent about them, honestly.

I used to really hate them, thought they were ugly, couldn't see all the hype about them. Still can't really, but yeah.

Yeah, she's very cute and sweet in her stable. But riding is a whole 'nother matter. She's lazy and naughty. xd.png However, she has a lovely jump so it makes it all worth it. How's your horsey stuff going?

I could just eat her up in her new halter! smile.gif Too cute!

Its good. But my instructor is making me ride the carp out of one misbehaved horse. Bleh .

@mickiloo97

If your horse has an infected cut you need to get a vet out to have a look. Especially near the eye. If it heals badly it may affect her ability to blink properly which will cause you ongoing problems. If the infection spreads or starts to discharge, the eye may become infected- again more serious problems. If you get things early they're much easier to fix which means better outcome. Usually much cheaper in the long run too. (Yes I am a vet)

I love looking out the window while i'm in the car, I like to try to spot horses smile.gif. I rode a horse when I was little but that was about it. I never had much experience with them.

I love horses and have a Welsh Mountain pony named Rain, and she just had her second foal yesterday (We didn't know she was pregnant at first either time!) It's a black mule, we can't tell if it's a boy or girl.

Edited by happyseagull

Not sure if making a new topic for this was appropriate but I hope there are some vets around here.

My horse got a cut about half an inch above her eye and I keep putting medicine on it but then she'll roll and get dirt in it and I put the medicine on it almost everyday, and yet, it gets dirty again, no matter how much I clean it.

It's kinda wide and kinda deep, but it didn't look to serious, but I think it's gotten infected.  Would it be best to call out a real vet, or is there anyway to get it to heal on it's own?

~edit~

Haha, new page. happy.gif

Wounds on the face tend to need to be stitched from the beginning in my experience. If in doubt or if the horse has a fever, lethargy or changes in the color of gum tissue, heart rate or respiration you always need to call the vet. If the wound is seeping fluid that has a foul odor, the wound looks red or irritated its most likely very infected. Proud flesh which looks like moist pink brains can over develop if wounds that need to be sewn are not.

Good page on how to check your horses vital signs and what the averages usually are.

http://www.equinevetservice.com/vitalsigns.htm

However keep in mind it is a good idea to take your horses vital signs frequently so you know what their average is. My older qh hates having his gums pressed. He is so well trained though the only sign that he is annoyed is his heart rate and respiration elevate. So I have to check his respiration, heart rate, temp and then gums or else the true readings will be thrown off.

Edited by babybluefire

Here's an updated photo of my Andalusian gelding, Bolero ("Bo" for short), taken a couple days ago. He had just recently finished shedding out so now he's nice and sleek. He just needs a bit of his belly worked off, but that isn't hard to do.

I had interrupted him at dinnertime so that's the reason for the wild eye look. Normally he's a complete sweety pie. wub.gif

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

My family owns many horses

Baxter,K,and Fawn are Percherons

Foxy,Bounty,and Falcon are Arabians

Arizona and Krazy are French Canadians

Mercy is a Morgan X Arabian

Ice is an Arabian X Shetland

Jenny is a Percheron X Clyde

I absolutely love horses. I go to an RDA centre once a week for a half-hour lesson and I ride a horse called Carly. I so wish we could keep a horse because so many other people seem to have one sad.gif

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I have one horse, an American Paint Pony named Maker of Dreams. He's 5 years old and a super cute red roan with flaxen mane and tail. I've been riding since I was 9, and he is my second horse. I actually just sold my first horse (his mother) two weeks ago, that was one of the hardest things I have ever done! I owned her for nearly 12 years and trained her myself.

At this point, I mainly ride dressage, though I do still throw a western saddle on a horse occasionally. I take lessons once a week on a lovely Oldenberg mare owned by my trainer, and then try to ride my gelding 2-3 times as well. I used to do 4H and open shows, but now I've switched to showing dressage pretty much exclusively.

Here's a picture of my gelding from about two years ago when I first started him (I always start them in a western saddle, it's so much easier to hang on if they buck!). I need to take some new pictures of him, he's filled out really nicely since then. The picture almost makes him look like a dark palamino, but when you see him in real life, he has a really nice red roan coat, just like his mother.

Edited by Elorendil

I have one horse, an American Paint Pony named Maker of Dreams. He's 5 years old and a super cute red roan with flaxen mane and tail. I've been riding since I was 9, and he is my second horse. I actually just sold my first horse (his mother) two weeks ago, that was one of the hardest things I have ever done! I owned her for nearly 12 years and trained her myself.

At this point, I mainly ride dressage, though I do still throw a western saddle on a horse occasionally. I take lessons once a week on a lovely Oldenberg mare owned by my trainer, and then try to ride my gelding 2-3 times as well. I used to do 4H and open shows, but now I've switched to showing dressage pretty much exclusively.

Here's a picture of my gelding from about two years ago when I first started him (I always start them in a western saddle, it's so much easier to hang on if they buck!). I need to take some new pictures of him, he's filled out really nicely since then. The picture almost makes him look like a dark palamino, but when you see him in real life, he has a really nice red roan coat, just like his mother.

He looks just like my gelding, Valentino! Oh my haha