sapphiredragon73

Horses

Like horses, LOVE zebras

Me being in SA, I've been on a horseback trail ride. We got very close to some zebras. wink.gif Not to mention warthogs, wildebeest (like buffalo), etc.

i want a unicorn/pegasus thats a pretty pink purple colour

I love horses. They're like dogs, they have such unique personalities. <3

I did horseback riding for a year in middle school, but ended up quitting. I just didn't get into it enough, I guess. But I did love socializing with the horse, he was quite beautiful.

I care for my friend's family's three horses when I go over to their place or if they go away for a weekend. The horses don't receive quite the best care from them though, their stable is really filthy and the horses aren't usually the cleanest. I try and fix that a little bit every time I go over though~

So excited! biggrin.gif I'm going to have my 'own horse,' every second weekend for two months. Mare's name is Duchess. ^-^ Will post pictures sometime.

Ahh, Andalusians!

When I saw the photo of your Bo, I thought, "Who swiped my Tagie?!?" They could almost be twins, except for Tagie's waning crescent moon star. Same tons of forelock and alert-not-spooked expression.

We keep his mane, tail and forelock braided when we're not showing him. I use Cowboy Magic detangler, what do you use?

Haven't heard of Bravio, but I Googled him and found the ranch. Cool that they have a pearl chestnut stallion; also glad that the registry's allowing chestnuts to join.

[Would LOVE to see a Chestnut Andie x Chestnut Friesian Warlander]

I try to braid Bo's mane when I see him (on Saturdays) but I have stopped since nobody continues taking care of it during the week. He doesn't like it restricted so he'll shake and shake until it gets all tangled. Cowboy Magic is pretty good, I've used that in the past.

I would love to see a picture of your Tagie, since he sounds like my kind of guy :3

The website for that ranch says that they know the pearl gene in that stud came from his father, Bravio. I also know a couple of Bravio's children, so it would be interesting to see if they got the pearl gene too.

So excited! biggrin.gif I'm going to have my 'own horse,' every second weekend for two months. Mare's name is Duchess. ^-^ Will post pictures sometime.

Jealous. My mom wants me to get a job before I can own a horse :c

By that, I meant leasing. tongue.gif The riding school offers alternate weekend leasing of the school horses. It's pretty inexpensive for what it is (R650pm which is roughly £60/$95 or so?). My dad gave me money for two months for my birthday and my gran recently spoiled me and gave me half a month two days ago, and I found loads of old cents which add up to R200 so it might be three months if I really enjoy it...

/High finance.

Anyway, I'm super excited! cool.gif If my dad says, one day, that I can do it permanently or year round for my birthday and Christmas present, then I could join the pony club, as rallies and stuff are done at my riding centre. biggrin.gif

How close are you to finding a job? *Sends good luck*

Edited by Chicogal

I'm not old enough for a job yet. One more year until I'm legally allowed to work. And even then it will be difficult to find a job. I'll probably apply to Taco Casa (some greasy mexican food joint by my house). My sister works there.

Only leases in my area are extremely expensive arabians. I'm looking for something a bit less...hotblooded. Quarter horse, maybe an Appy or Paint.

I love horses and mules.

I bought my first horse, an 8 year old flea bitten grey Quarter horse/Thorobred gelding, when I was 17 and I bought a horse trailer so I could take him and show him. I boarded my horse at a stable fairly near my house.

When I moved my horse to a different stable, better accommodations, I bought him a friend, a yearling rose grey Arab filly.

At the third stable I moved the horses to I sold the little Arab, after breaking her to ride and drive, because she was just too small. I went to a horse auction and purchased a yearling bay Appaloosa colt and a yearling strawberry roan Appaloosa filly so my original horse would have friends. While at that stable the stable manager disappeared and so did my Appaloosa stallion - he was later found in a Southern State but I couldn't afford to leave my job, haul down there to get him. My stallion was gone but I made sure that his registration papers showed he was stolen so he couldn't be used for breeding registered Appaloosas.

Right after the theft of my stallion, I moved my original horse and the Appaloosa mare to another stable where they lived together until I added a sweet little chestnut mule who was 8 years old. One day I got a call from the stable owner/their veterinarian for 15 years that he had killed my original horse, then 39 years old as well as my mule who was 15 years old. I was now disabled and couldn't ride anymore but their bills were always paid on time and I loved them dearly. I called friends who hauled up to get my remaining horse, the now 21 year old Appy mare.

That mare went on to a have a job. I donated her to a program for disabled riders and she was wonderful with disabled children and disabled adults. She joined a 1/2 brother who was 20 years old and both were the sweetest horses the program attested. It made me very happy that she had such a good home and had a job she loved.

Ag, that's a shame. :/ But it is an option, then?

Eventually, yea. For now I have a laundry list of house chores that I'm getting paid $50 to do.

Eventually, yea. For now I have a laundry list of house chores that I'm getting paid $50 to do.

Wow, you lucky thing! ohmy.gif If I could do jobs for that amount of money I"d be able to lease permanently. .__.

I'm getting really excited for this weekend... But also really nervous. I haven' tacked up a horse or groomed n months. Luckily I have an awesome friend who also leases on the same weekend so hopefully we can stick together a bit. The stable owner thinks that I will pick it up as I go along though. The mare I have is a bit of a schoolmaster and calm, so I'm lucky in that aspect. I think I'm gonnabe really careful on my first weekend.

I was raised around horses. My mom had some when I was a baby. I got a pony for Christmas when I was a kid. (Yeah, I know spoiled. lol) And after a while I got a horse that I used to go to shows with. We had to give away my horse when we moved but we got two more here. Then we couldn't afford them anymore so we had to sell them and I've been horse-less since. sad.gif

Wow, you lucky thing! ohmy.gif If I could do jobs for that amount of money I"d be able to lease permanently. .__.

I'm getting really excited for this weekend... But also really nervous. I haven' tacked up a horse or groomed n months. Luckily I have an awesome friend who also leases on the same weekend so hopefully we can stick together a bit. The stable owner thinks that I will pick it up as I go along though. The mare I have is a bit of a schoolmaster and calm, so I'm lucky in that aspect. I think I'm gonnabe really careful on my first weekend.

Do you ride at an English or Western stable?

I really love horses! I have 2 andalusians (penny and diablo), 2 quarter horses (butters and cheyyenne) and a mix of the two (shadow). We're gonna be getting a paint soon, so excited!

Edited by chipclip

I actually just started riding horses this year, and I really like them! I'm a bit old for a beginner, but my mom is extremely allergic to horses (which is sad because she loved them when she was a girl), so I never got to learn to ride. Last year, though, my friend would always talk about them, and I finally asked my mom if there was any way I could try to take lessons, and we finally found a way so I would bring as few allergens into the house as possible. The lessons have been going great, though, and they're really fun! Horses are beautiful animals, too. smile.gif

English. Why?

I don't remember! D: I think I was going to offer you advice on tacking up, but it wouldn't matter anyway because I ride Western.