RheaZen

Rhea's Art

I was trying to do a hatchie for my concept but I suck at lineart. Any tips?

user posted image

The tail seems to be a bit big. The rest seems okay.

Of course, I'm not an artist, so I may be wrong.

Mew - What you have right now isn't so bad. The fur texture might be too detailed for a pokemon-esque sprite... ohlook what I found. For the shading, I guess using pokemon as references would be your best bet, but on ont thing - the balls? See how the highlight isn't all on one side like it is on your sprite? It's sorta slightly to the center, really. It should be like that on your sprite.

Alright, tried two different versions. One trying to follow that fur guide and one by looking atuser posted image and user posted image for the similarity.

user posted imageuser posted image

Personally, I like them both. This actually feels almost done! laugh.gif

(Seriously though, just get rid of the back wing for now. Also, what happened to the slack I'd put in the front wing?)

That lightsource would work, sure.

okay i got rid of the wing. Im not sure with the slack??

user posted image

wonton - Hm... there's a bit of a flatline on the lower belly-to-tail area, and satyr is right about the tail being a bit large. It's also rather stiff-looking. Were you intending for it to look like such?

Mew - Looking good! I prefer the version on the right as the fur on the left version is a bit odd. I can't really say anything more since I'm not a poke-spriter, so I suggest going to the Sprite Practice thread for more critique or perhaps contacting one of the splicers we have around. Good luck!

Sand - Try referencing the large picture I have on the last page, and do try your hand at shading.

werent we going to finish the template first?? by changing the wing?

I already shaded it but I'll take your advice although the tail was intended to be a bit large and I don't mind the stiffness.

Edit: Here it is

user posted image

Edited by wonton55912

Mmmph. That tail is givin' me a lot of grief |D

[EDIT] Thar we go.

user posted image

Erased the middle one, I used Kennon's sprites for anatomy (bottom sprites). After the back legs and tail, I thought the front looked too small... redid it.

Seeing as I'm planning to use this for a personal site, I think it's okay that it's 45 pixels wide :X

Prodding this (gently) because I'm feeling like it needs work, but I just know I'll mess it up.

I think it looks a little too much like the second sprite on the bottom. :V

Sand - Since the wing is separate from everything else/doesn't overshadow anything/etc., I think that moving on would be best.

wonton - Lightsource is top left? Bring in a strong highlight and make the shading more evident on the head and tail.

Oif Xbc sorry, skipped you @.@

It looks better, though I would bring the elbow of the forelimbs up a pixel or so. This will shorten the legs slightly.

Yeah. And add a pixel or two to the front paws so that they look a tad less balled up, and you should be set.

@.@ Okay, sorry man, but a few more things. Again. Bring the shoulder back a pixel or two (the whole shoulder) and remove a pixel or two from the top of the thigh on the hind leg.

Xbc - Pretty good. You might want to keep messing with the elbow, but otherwise it's decent.

wonton - I would make the highlight even stronger. Also, lighten the outline of the back frills.

Sand - Since the wing is separate from everything else/doesn't overshadow anything/etc., I think that moving on would be best.

snip

so we're just moving on from fixing it??

wonton - Make the frill outline even lighter (it still looks rather black) and increase the contrast again. That is, make darks darker and lights lighter.

Sand - Yep.

Are we going to go back and fix it later...or just color now..?

We'll get back to it later. Yes, just color now. And shade. I can't crit much on flatcolors, after all ;p

... make it more bendy? If it's supposed to be somewhat stiff, it's fine as is.

Increase contrast in the reds.