RheaZen

Rhea's Art

I see that..but i dont understand how to turn it to make it connect to the wings??

Sorry for poofing - birthday party was hectic.

*goes to CL*

[EDIT] I stretched the body, redid the hind legs, erased the wings, tried a little do-over on the head - the neck was too long and the head looked likeit would fall off - and did the tail once again. That tail is annoying me >_>

user posted image

Ignore the sprites on the bottom - none of them are mine, I'm not calling them mine. They were a few lying down hatchie sprites (or close enough to my pose) that I copy-pasta'd so I could look at the anatomy.

It looks less... bunched up now.

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

wait... what yellow eastern dragon?

EDIT: OHHHH you mean your august one? okay biggrin.gif

Edited by sapphiredragon73

user posted image

Sandface, do you see what I mean?

Xbc, it does look better, however the hind leg seems noodly. I know that it's similar to the middle hatchie you have there for reference, but generally it's better to try getting something similar to #1 and #3, as those are more correct anatomically. Also, #2's appearance is compounded by the slight angle it's at, while your is a straight side view.

The tail... try moving it so that part of it obscures the hind foot. It'll by lying right next to the dragon.

Like a combination of the two, really ^^ Take the top sprite's leg and put it on the bottom sprite's leg. Right now, the top one has its leg positioned too low, while the bottom one looks smushed. Once that's done with you can probably move onto colors and shading.

Yeah, that's good. Hm... could you try selecting the whole leg and just bringing it up a pixel or two?

Mew - Alright then. I'm not really used to pokemon-style spriting, but your first shading attempt wasn't bad. Try shading it again now, keeping careful track of the lightsource.

user posted image

Alright. This time I decided to keep a color palette. And I couldn't resist trying my hand at adding a furry effect, but I know I might have to drop that. You did mention that fur was hard <^_^;> And the chest once again feel wrong, along with the attempted highlight on the head.

...I'm criticizing myself here. I can see a lot of errors, but I don't know how to fix them. xd.png

Edited for multiple spelling fails.

Edited by AlternateMew

saph - Yep! As far as I'm concerned, you can move on, though I'm certainly not the be-all and end-all so you might end up getting crits from other people later on.

Mew - What you have right now isn't so bad. The fur texture might be too detailed for a pokemon-esque sprite... ohlook what I found. For the shading, I guess using pokemon as references would be your best bet, but on ont thing - the balls? See how the highlight isn't all on one side like it is on your sprite? It's sorta slightly to the center, really. It should be like that on your sprite.

Hello there! Saw this and thought it might help me out a bit... If you dont mind, could you give me some critique and tips on some of my sprites?

Specifically these:

user posted image

user posted image

And the sprites in my sig, though the two above need the most help I think.

I know they could use more dynamic poses...

I have signature viewing turned off, so if you want me to crit something please put it in your post :)

For the first one, if you reference the dragon skeleton in my first post, you'll see that the wings and the forelegs come from the same area around the collar/shoulders. The 2nd pair (middle) of legs should also come from the same section. Right now, the dragon would need to have essentially two thoraxes, which is a bit of a stretch. Take a look at Kennon's Treaders for an idea of what I'm talking about. Also, the hind leg farthest from us is slightly noodley and is on a different plane compared to where the other feet are resting, so you may want to adjust that.

The second sprite, the legs and body/neck/head are out of proportion. Either make the legs smaller (right how you have rather impressive thunder-thighs), or make the neck thicker/longer and the head a bit bitter. Also, what's going on with the foot of the foremost hind leg? Where is it, exactly?

Do you want shading crits right now, or after you've fixed them up a bit?

Mmmph. That tail is givin' me a lot of grief |D

[EDIT] Thar we go.

user posted image

Erased the middle one, I used Kennon's sprites for anatomy (bottom sprites). After the back legs and tail, I thought the front looked too small... redid it.

Seeing as I'm planning to use this for a personal site, I think it's okay that it's 45 pixels wide :X

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

For the first sprite: I do have the wing coming from the shoulder area, but it is a bit harder to see because of the way I have it bent.

The second sprite: It is sitting, and the tail covers the back foot. All you can see is the thigh, part of the calf, and the ankle.

I'm probably not going to edit those ones, but I'm using your tips for the next sprites I make. So, yes please, I'd like the shading tips as well.

Thanks!

Oh, and here are the others:

Lava wyvern

Feathered Wyvern

Edited by kiara5

user posted image

Sandface, do you see what I mean?

I see that..but i've never done this before..so im not sure how to show it like that.. :/

Uhh, im kinda bad at spriting, like... I dont even know HOW to make a decent looking worm... o_o" Could you pleeease halp meh??? unsure.gif

kiara: Green - I'm not so worried about the wings, as I can see they're coming from the same area as the forelimbs, but it's the middle pair of limbs I'm worried about. If you want, I can try to sketch up a quick thing illustrating the anatomy of a dragon similar to the green one you have there. As for shading... the lightsource seems to be inconsistent, though the application itself isn't so bad. Where is your lightsource?

Yellow - Hm... the leg looks a bit awkward, and it might be better to have more of the foot showing, as if the dragon were sitting upright rather than having a leg sort of lying like it is currently. I'm also having a bit of trouble spotting the lightsource for this, though it may just be the whole "yellow is a sucky color to shade with" thing.

As for the others, please show the images - it's much easier for me to crit when I don't have to switch tabs.

Sand: I know that this thread is for sprites, but... if I'm recalling correctly, you've done a few sketches for concepts, yes? It might be easier for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about by practicing with sketches. Do you want to move onto shading? We can fix up the wing later, when you've more confident in spriting it.

Snowy, do you know the basics? Have you attempted a sprite before?

I want to get the template done first. So i dont have to go back and erase stuff. smile.gif

EDIT: Yes i've done some sort of sketch. But not really...the only stuff i've done is on my deviant art. (fox is link in sig)

Edited by Sandface

Thing is, all you'd really need to do is add the back wing - everything else is done. Plus, some things are more easily resolved with time, so giving the back wing a little distance might be beneficial.

The fox is very cute, btw.

(Also, is no one else noticing the puns?)

I get what you mean on how to draw it...its just that..i cant seem to figure out how. like i can see it in my head..i just cant seem to be able to put it down.

And thanks on the fox. tongue.gif I made it...i know coincidence i cant make sprites but if i look at a diff picture i can make that.

Pun?s blink.gif what puns? lol

Edited by Sandface

Yeah, that ability to put down what you have in mind onto a screen or paper just takes time and practice. I still can't do it myself, and it's really irksome.

Bit of a stretch? Back wing a little distance? Eh, nvm ;p

Try some initial shading, perhaps? You can get rid of the back wing for now if it's a distraction. Don't forget to mark where your lightsource is coming from.

(Seriously though, just get rid of the back wing for now. Also, what happened to the slack I'd put in the front wing?)

That lightsource would work, sure.

I was trying to do a hatchie for my concept but I suck at lineart. Any tips?

user posted image