RheaZen

Rhea's Art

Pinky as in this?:

user posted image

and where would i put the membrane?? here?;

user posted image

Yep, that's the pinky ^^

I would bring the membrane down onthe body a little bit... have it connect further down. It's hard to avoid hangbutt on amphitheres, though, so just connect it a little further down and that will do.

This good?

user posted image

and with the arm joints .im not sure what to do..

Mrrr?

user posted image

I ended up editing the tail slightly to make it look better. There is a flat part at the very bottom, I know, but whenever I tried anything it either looked ridiculously huge or tiny. Grrr.

I also editied the stomach (between the legs) a bit. I'm such a perfectionist. And the body seems longer and slimmer than the original sprites, too - not sure if it's a bad thing, but it seems fine to me.

Looking at this compared to my originals, I can see a very clear change in appearance. I like it <3

Sand - yes, like that. There's a few things in the membrane that could be changed, but it's hard to describe w/o using redlines. Try working on the other wing for now.

Xbc - Ehe, but I haven't done anything ^^;

Right now the dragon looks tilted and the tail looks like it's go not substance to it - if the dragon's leg really was on it/the dragon were sitting on it, there'd be some shifting of the positioning of the feet. I suggest fixing the tilt and having the tail wrap around towards us, like it's lying on the ground beside the dragon.

Thanks - I'll do the tail now n_n

Looking... tilted? Can you elaborate?

[EDIT] I fixed the tail, though I think it looked better as the original :/

user posted image

Xbc - Ehe, but I haven't done anything ^^;

And I'd like to tell you that that's wrong. You totally fixed that anatomy issue, helped on the wings, and I have a feeling you're going to have me fixing about 70% of the sprites I make. I should just put credits for you on them and leave it biggrin.gif

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

obby

Sand - For the "hands", you'll want there to be a distinct palm with fingers that taper off, as at the moment the arms look... sorta amputated. As for the far wing, look at how much slack in the membrane the closer wing has. The far wing's membrane would have broken. You'll have to change the wing position or the amount of slack in the closer wing's membrane.

Xbc - Hardly. Please @>@

Tilt... well, the front legs aren't on the same plane as the hind legs, from what I can see by squinting. If you bring the arms down a notch, that'd be good. I'd also suggest making the hind legs longer - the thigh and calve areas, not the foot itself.

The tail looks better, though I'd make it curve around even more.

saph - Not quite what I had in mind. Uuh... Hm. Do you see how the backmost hind leg of the yellow eastern dragon in the OP is? Sorta like that.

add fingers like this?? (only on right wing) and i cut some slack off

user posted image

Hmm. I can try :3

[EDIT] Lotsa copy/pasting there xP

user posted image

Now it looks like that hatchie's sitting on its hind foot :B

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

Sand - The limbs are rather noodly and look odd. Try looking on the CL for examples of what to do. Also, NO on the slack. You want what you had before on the foremost wing, if not more slack.

xbc - Yeah, you've made it look rather awkward... get rid of the wing for now, and take a look at the CL for some examples of what sitting dragons look like.

does the fingers on the palm any better? oh and u wanted me to add slack..well if thats what u mean..i did anyway

user posted image

I apologize, Sand, as I feel like I've been leading you a bit astray. Let's start from that sprite off the last page there, shall we?

user posted image

1. The original sprite outline.

2. I make a few redlines and such. I fixed some of the roughness of the wing-arm and brought the wing membrane down so that it didn't appear to be coming off the dorsal line of the dragon.

3. I smooth out the wing membrane and add tips to it. I also erased the rough lines of the wing arm from the original sprite outline (1) and the back line/body outline, as the membrane would be blocking it from view.

I expanded part of the wing-fingers area to show what I did to smooth them out. As you can see, on yours you have an inconsistent line, with pixels going 1-1-1-3-1-2-etc. Ideally they should have a smooth transition, something more like 1-1-1-2-2-2-etc. It's not always necessary to obey this rule, but it's a good guideline.

4. I simply made everything black here so that you could see what it looked like.

5. Wing arm now. I added a tentative line - HOWEVER -

6. If you compare the 6s and 5, the wing arm lines aren't the same. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path. I also erased the joint circles.

6.I. Here's a wing with defined fingers. However, I didn't really fancy this, as it looked odd - it's better to go with thick fingers all the way, or...

6.II. To simply have the lines where the fingers are. There's actually a bit of a rough spot by the hand; can you spot it?

R/L The dragon you made with the wing arms complete with membrane. I added a diagram to show what I meant by slack and taunt. Both wing arms should have the same amount of membrane; comparing the two shows that even with a redline to add membrane to the Left wing, the Right wing appears to have a lot more stretch to it. The R wing wouldn't be positioned like such, with the palm of the wing facing us - instead, it should be at an angle, probably facing the ground instead. Take your hand and face it palm towards you. Then turn it so that your palm is "facing" the floor. Hopefully this will help you to understand what I mean.

Take a few more swings at the far arm, and if you get too frustrated I'll do it for you and then we can move onto colors and shading?

Either of the number 6s will work, or you can try all the way from #1 if you want the practice.

No, the palm has to be angled differently, remember? And the membrane shouldn't be on the belly - the lines on it from the previous post were showing where the membrane was on the other side of the body. It'd actually be hidden. Edited by RheaZen

Stick your arm out. Look at your palm. Then slowly turn your palm towards the floor, carefully observing where your fingers end up. Then try to translate this into your sprite. The wing fingers will end up looking shorter than the left wing's fingers due to an effect called foreshortening - however, this makes it look realistic.