RheaZen

Rhea's Art

Nice! Just a few more things.

- Add a few pixels to everything past the "chest" area, as it's still rather skinny (forgive my rough redline if it misled you ^^;)

- There are also some straight lines where the body meets the ground - you'll want to make it so that there are smooth curves there.

Example: user posted image

You won't end up with that exact curvature, mind you - we'll work on the curves after building up the body a bit more. Also, do you still want to add wings?

Edited by RheaZen

Ok, so I just finished the basic sketch of my first ever sprite! biggrin.gif It's a Skywing. wink.gif Critique is more than welcome!

user posted image

It's a bit big right now but I always start big when I try something new because it helps me get the body and details right. I will make is the right size when I'm completely done. smile.gif

tiki: Hm... the waist is positioned rather far back, making it look like the dragon is going to fall over. The way to fix that would either be to position the tail so that it'll counterbalance the body's weight, or to make it so that the dragon stands up a little straighter. The former probably means making the sprite go over 100x100, so the latter would be better. Example here.

You took "big butts" to heart, perhaps with too much vehemence ;p The legs are a bit overly large in the thigh area. Also, you should make it so that the thighs smoothly transition into a butt.

... I'm saying "butt" way too much. Rumpus?

I see what you mean by the body position.

I'll try to fix it up tonight after work. happy.gif

Silver - I suggest starting small, as you can't shrink sprites without blurring the lines. Also, even though it may be harder to get the details in, having less area to cover overall can make things easier.

saph - Not bad! Some parts need smoothing, like the back, belly, and tail. On the forelegs, the bend of the wrist is a little too acute. See: if it were like that, it'd probably have a broken wrist! The hind legs look a little awkward; maybe change the position of one leg so that it doesn't look like the rump is floating, make the figure more dynamic? One thing you could try would be to extend the foremost hind leg out behind it nd have it extended, as if pushing off of something.

i see what you mean by the tail, but the back and belly is supposed to be like that, since it is a cloud dragon, sort of fluffy. i'll work on the legs smile.gif

thanks biggrin.gif

will post as progress goes on

saph: oh, 's sposed to be texture, got it.Well, I'll just wait then.

Sand - Sorry, missed you there :> Yes, it looks better! But I'm going to be pesky. This time, shave off a few pixels from the bulgiest part of the chest area, see if that helps. While you're at it, work on the end of the tail, the part that comes out behind - make it curve more smoothly and naturally, following the flow of the body.

Okay i've worked with it a bit and thinking its coming nicely now that u fixed it with the red lines

user posted image

Yes, that's pretty good ^^ There are still a few things that need tweaking, but it'd probably just make this back-and-forth talking and correcting very tedious. Do you want to try adding wings to it, or so you want to work on the western?

well is the snake one like done with the template?

and should we add wings or what?

Um... pardon? I can't really understand your first sentence.

As for the wings, it's up to you - though, I would suggest it, to get some practice first before going on to a larger sprite.

Ok, here is the finished piece (not colored). I restarted it smaller like you said and this is what I came out with -

user posted image

It's not as good as the others, but it's only my first one.

Edited by Silver-Warrior

The template of the snaky one...is it like ready for color; is what i meant.

And yeah i guess i'll add wings..so that answers my first question about if the template is done. smile.gif

I don't suppose you could give me some constructive crits for this?

user posted imageuser posted image

I know it isn't a dragon, but it's my first serious attempt at doing of my own creation completely from scratch...

I don't have any kind of eye decided on yet. The chest, its left forearm, and neck fur don't feel right, but I don't know how to go about fixing them, and I'm sure I have anatomy problems but I can't see them.

Sorry, had to add the wings and tail. It was really hard for me to figure out what I was doing. It just didn't make any sense to me and looked really weird.

Is this OK or do you want me to remove the wings and tail again?

user posted image

Oh dear so many people :X

Sand - Yes, the template's done for now, even though the body still has a few thin-thick issues, but don't worry about it right now. For now, use this guide to draw out wing joints and bones, but don't add membrane yet! We'll work on the structure first.

Silver - The wings lack proper anatomy. Try looking at the picture I have in the first post? Though, I suggest leaving them out for now and working only on the body, similar to what I've been doing with Sandface.

Mew - Hm... The left forearm doesn't have a wrist, so make sure it does and have it match the right forearm. The chest is okay. The right hind leg looks a bit odd, but front-on is always a funny angle so we can skip that if you want, especially considering your creature has somewhat chibi-ish features. For the fur, make it less rounded and more ragged. You may have to abandon your picture's details for this part, as fur can be a bit of a pain.

tiki - I understand your frustration, but it's important to get the main body down pat first before adding on details, otherwise you'll have to keep editing everything. What I've been trying to get at is having you view the dragon in a very simplified, almost ball-and-stick way. For example, here and here. Your dragon still seems unbalanced, so bring the hips down a little so it stands up more. This may require redoing the whole lower area.

how should i curve the tail below the body?

and i just realized the sprite is 107 pixels wide...too much?

if i curve the tail below the body, it should take away enough pixels from the left side to be under 100. but to keep the sprite 100, how should i curve the tail under the body?

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

Kinda like this? I went to the completed requests and tried to apply some of what I saw there. The first one I was focusing on just rough edges, the second I tried to simplify it (I think I made it more complicated instead). I tried defining the legs better, too. I think its two right legs still feel off.

lizard - Below the body? As in, so that it curves to the right? I'd suggest changing the wing position instead, really.

Mew - Yes, both of those are better. I prefer the left one but both are decent. I feel that the left limbs (its left, not ours) are a bit off now, they were better before actually. Right now they're too defined for a creature as chubbish as that.

Sand - Yes, the template's done for now, even though the body still has a few thin-thick issues, but don't worry about it right now. For now, use this guide to draw out wing joints and bones, but don't add membrane yet! We'll work on the structure first.

Okay i worked with that tutorial/guide and i got came with this:

user posted image

*note to self*:

spritework.png

lizard - Below the body? As in, so that it curves to the right? I'd suggest changing the wing position instead, really.

in what way...?

i dont know where to put either, but you're being vague as to "change the wings". where do i put those, and keep their gigantism?

Sand - Good, you get the idea. However, the arms aren't placed wuite right - they should be more in the chest area; right now they're attached to its neck! Refer to the skeleton pics in the OP for reference if you need.

lizard - Well, I would suggest curving them, as that always tends to give a dragon more depth. Yanno, like on the BBWs! You can see how dynamic those are, and it's in part due to the wings not simply being flatly splayed out.

lizard - Well, I would suggest curving them, as that always tends to give a dragon more depth. Yanno, like on the BBWs! You can see how dynamic those are, and it's in part due to the wings not simply being flatly splayed out.

like the female BBW?

would it be too big at all, curving way up like that?

and if i put the wings like that, i'd still need somewhere to put the tail...O.o;

this...is...complicated xd.png