RheaZen

Rhea's Art

user posted image

D: i don't know where to put the tail. its not in a good spot, thats all i know. X3

also, the wing arm seems...off. like the upper arm is too short, and the fore arm part is far too long. halp pl0x?

EDIT: oooh, 800th post, level 7. laugh.gif

Edited by lizardtail

Hm... yeah, tail placements can be tricky. Maybe try curling it in a spiral? Curves are hard, but they can look really good if pulled off correctly.

As for the wing arms, yes, that's probably it. It shouldn't be too hard for you to fix it by yourself ;] I also suggest extending the wing membrane further down the body a bit, even onto the tail, and perhaps giving that last section (the part closest to the body) a bit of a more relaxed curve.

user posted image

illl do the tail last. crits on wing arms/membrane? something about the curve of the membrane closest to the body still kinda bothers me a bit...is it just me?

Figured I'd repost my sprite here so others can critique as well~ :3

user posted image

I'll work on my shading and making them smaller next time, and try some with a bit more color. Monochrome blue is sorta melodramatic. |D

lizard: You're using straight lines on the membrane curve, that's what. Experiment with it to make sure it actually curves.

Hey Ibey! I'll hold off more crits until I see the newer version, but a question - is it a wyvern, or a western? I'm actually having a bit of a hard time telling.

Edited by RheaZen

lizard: You're using straight lines on the membrane curve, that's what. Experiment with it to make sure it actually curves.

Hey Ibey! I'll hold off more crits until I see the newer version, but a question - is it a wyvern, or a western? I'm actually having a bit of a hard time telling.

Okay, just wanted to get it up there. Actually its sort of my own kind of dragon, but in technical terms she'd be a wyvern, since the wings are modified arms. Her wings are just double-ribbed hence the 'extra wing' at the elbow joint. It's one of my dragon concepts I might pitch in the concept suggestion thread, but I'm not sure if I'll do it.

Am I headed in the right direction or am I still way off?

user posted image

Ibey: Ah, I see. You may want to work on making the distinction a little more clear, then, though I'm not sure how at the moment.

tiki: Getting there! Though now the wing arm is set a bit too far forward on the chest - move it back and up a tad. Btw, rather late, but the wings are rather small -are they intended to be used for flight much? If so, you'll want to make them bigger.

Good job on the waist, though it's actually a bit large now. Also, use the leg muscles to help define the butt:

user posted image

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LlfXWxcpJyU/S8wwh3d0....jpg?imgmax=800

Ibey: Ah, I see. You may want to work on making the distinction a little more clear, then, though I'm not sure how at the moment.

RheaZen: Yeah, the picture I picked to sprite wasn't the best of choices, but it was the only one I had on my computer at the time that looked like good practice. I've got other pictures of that particular dragon on my photobucket, with better drawings depicting how the wing structure looks. I'll probably just start over and sprite another little hatchling doodle I have on my pc depicting an Eastern-style lindwurn-like dragon.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far!! I really appreciate it :3

Yeah I'm probably going to re-do the wings as they are too small and aren't all that great. I sprited it from a rather horrible sketch (done by me) so of course it needs a lot of work.

Thanks for the crits by the way, they are a huge help. happy.gif

@ Both: Ah, I see.

ty, glad to help. I would do stuff in the other threads, but it... kinda feels safer in my own thread, for some weird reason ;x

Also, use the leg muscles to help define the butt:

Mmmm, like so?

user posted image

Also, moved the arm back and made wing slightly larger. Doing this little by little...

Oh and I totally understand you wanting to do this in your own thread. It's also much easier to keep track of replies and progress. wink.gif

Hmm... ignore for a moment that you're going to have a tail, then round off the butt area. Since you said you'll probably be redoing the wings, you could also get rid of them so that you can see what you're doing.

EVERYTHING MUST GO! XD

I was actually going to get rid of the wings as well but I thought it would confuse me too much.... meh well.... back to paint!

Nekked Dragon....

user posted image

O.o

Now what? tongue.gif

Edit:: I was looking at a few pictures of Great Danes and was fiddling around...

I honestly have nuuuuu idea what I am doing. xd.png

user posted image

With Wings:

user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

tiki: Hm... the waist is positioned rather far back, making it look like the dragon is going to fall over. The way to fix that would either be to position the tail so that it'll counterbalance the body's weight, or to make it so that the dragon stands up a little straighter. The former probably means making the sprite go over 100x100, so the latter would be better. Example here.

You took "big butts" to heart, perhaps with too much vehemence ;p The legs are a bit overly large in the thigh area. Also, you should make it so that the thighs smoothly transition into a butt.

... I'm saying "butt" way too much. Rumpus?

saph: <3 We'll work on them together!

Sand: The neck is better, but add a few pixels to the right part of the neck, where it connects to the back; it's still a bit skinny there. The shoulder you added is odd; as for the foreleg, change it so that it seems to have a shoulder closer to the wing joint, as opposed to the neck. This means you'll have to delete and redo a bit. As for the rump, the part you've made larger is good, but it looks like it's in front of the wing membrane - bring the wing membrane down a bit, maybe delete the back line where the wing membrane meets the body, and smooth out the connection of the rump and tail. You might want to bring the tail up to do that, actually.

snip

user posted image

any better?

A bit :)

Hey, I've actually got Photoshop open right now, do you want me to show you with some lines what I mean? Permission to alter your sprite?

Edited by RheaZen

sure and while ur at it..maybe fix up this one? idk what to do with it but stare at it with no clue..what to do

user posted image

EDIT:

fixed up the wings a bit...

user posted image

Edited by Sandface

Let's worry about the wings later, shall we?

user posted image

Original | Body redlines

Minor redlines | Body lines

For the minor redlines, you can see that I've merely positioned the front leg differently and smoothed out the tail, as well as redlining the leg a little bit. All of the lines are rough, as they're merely for example's sake. For the body redlines, I added a few shapes and lines to show where body parts and such should go - where the bones are, the joints start, where the chest and waist are. The body lines show just that, but without your base.

user posted image

Original | redlines | redlines and deletions | redlines

As you can see, I've added quite a bit of body onto it and curled it around so that it looks like it's on a surface rather than just floating in midair - context is important. I deleted the belly scales in the 3rd one so that we could see just the body shape without extra distractions.

So what does this mean me to do now?

i wasn't really sure what to do with the dragon one..but this is what i did with the snake:

user posted image

Edited by Sandface

Just fixing up stuff based on the redlines. I suggest working on the snaky one first, as the western dragon is a bit more detailed.

Oh, well, there you go, haha. That's good! You can work on the western now ;p Or perhaps finish working on the snake, polishing up rough lines so that they're smooth and making sure that all the lines are only 1 pixel thick.

Edited by RheaZen

I'll work on the snaky for now. I cleared up the lines..and came out with this

user posted image