TJ09

2011-01-20 - Tree Decorating Contest is Over!

We're hearing all these "didn't win" posts my question is who did win?

Yea, seriously. xd.png

FallenZephyr, yeah, I do remember your tree! it was cool smile.gif I don't remember exactly how I rated it, but I definetly rated it high.

I also love the Idea of Top-200 finalists scroll-badges. that would be great xd.png

Can we see if we were under the top 200, Ksew? I didn't read all pages here. rolleyes.gif

we can't see it now sad.gif but there was an idea that there should be made some badges on scrolls of those who was in the Top-200, you know, like Magicarps or so on smile.gif

we can't see it now sad.gif but there was an idea that there should be made some badges on scrolls of those who was in the Top-200, you know, like Magicarps or so on smile.gif

And it's a bad idea since it will create on more whining.

"What?! I was in the top 200 and I didn't get chosen? WHY!?!?!?!"

or

"I want that badge! Why can't I have one even though I wasn't in the top 200? We should ALL get badges or none of us should. BAWWWWW!"

or

"What has that tree got that mine hasn't? They're practically the same! This person did nothing that I didn't do!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif"

You know how it is. All the whining the stupid magikarp badge brought and at least everyone CAN get it if they want to.

My tree was a very traditional one. It had all light available (but only the lights, not the popcorn garlands) and a golden western dragon tree topper. I used only traditional ornaments like the colored baubles, the birds, the sweets, candles, the potato, the TJ sign and the velociraptor, these I don't know their name (are some kind of oranges or so, smell good). On the ground, in front of the present were the horse, the angel, the nutcracker, the snow globe, the guy made of sweets, the big red bird on the left present and the parrot sitting on the rightmost present near one of the sweets on the tree. It's not overcrowded, no floating ornaments, and no gold/silver garland. Just a colorful, traditional tree.

Edited by GiratinaOF

And it's a bad idea since it will create on more whining.

"What?! I was in the top 200 and I didn't get chosen? WHY!?!?!?!"

or

"I want that badge! Why can't I have one even though I wasn't in the top 200? We should ALL get badges or none of us should. BAWWWWW!"

or

"What has that tree got that mine hasn't? They're practically the same! This person did nothing that I didn't do!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif"

You know how it is. All the whining the stupid magikarp badge brought and at least everyone CAN get it if they want to.

I see. haven't thought about it. yeah, you're probably right, it may cause a lot of drama sad.gif

yet we knew from the very beginning that it's a contest and that there will be only 200 finalists and so on... I feel sad about people taking it this way sad.gif

I do hope that next year there will be a greater ratio of winners to participants. That would reduce any drama.

Thanks, ksew! I wish I'd done more voting, but there simply wasn't enough time because of work...

There's always going to be some sort of drama in any competition, including the sore losers and the over-competitives. Especially when there's prizes involved xd.png

I do hope that next year there will be a greater ratio of winners to participants. That would reduce any drama.

That's unlikely, because the DC community is growing with every year.

People must have thought my tree was less of a threat, because I got an honorable mention. smile.gif  Mine was the one with the wave made of the bead strings and the colored balls from Day 1, with birds perched on three of the balls, the cardinal on top, and the squiggly thingy and one of the clear balls inside the largest curve of the wave.

Oh there you are, MY ONLY 10 biggrin.gif I loved your unique and beautiful design so much I took a screenshot lol.

I was sooo curious if you would make it under the top ones, so I am very happy you got at least a HM, for me you belonged higher^^

Congrats to all winners and to the people that stayed happy although they didn't win a prize wink.gif

Edit: typo^^

Edited by Kiwiana

FallenZephyr, yeah, I do remember your tree! it was cool smile.gif I don't remember exactly how I rated it, but I definetly rated it high.

I also love the Idea of Top-200 finalists scroll-badges. that would be great xd.png

What about A badge for people who participated in the voting/contest?

That's unlikely, because the DC community is growing with every year.

Note, ratio. This year winner/hm to participant was 1:165. This should be raised to something more like 1:100

*Handing out 'I-had-fun'-badges to everyone*

user posted image

Why not just enjoy your tree? Why do you always have to GET something? Why not just be happy?

I won. I got a tree I can decorate. Like kids crying for candy.....

Edited by Drag

Well I like the top 200 badge on our scroll idea...

My tree was a dragon with the body out of the red/yellow garland and the blinking lights on top of the head, wings, and tail like spikes.

I didn't liked the legs/feet out of the popcarn garlands... yeah well.

I saw way better dragons during the voting!

We're hearing all these "didn't win" posts my question is who did win?

Given the posts about it, and the "baaaaw can I have a badge for (insert reason here)" and the rest, I hope we will never know except from people who have outed themselves (and the top winner did actually - but they posted the fact themselves - and I can't remember who they were, so I can't even tell you !)

A competition is a competition. The ratio of entrants to prizes depends on how many people enter, when the number of prizes is fixed. 1 : 165 sounds pretty GOOD to me - now I am slightly more disappointed that I didn't make it with me rather lovely traditional tree - but like Drag says - have a candy, and another time, if you don't like what's going to happen (and here it seems far too many who didn't win don't like it !) - just don't DO it !

There's no "should" here - TJ set up a fun competition with the details clearly spelled out at the start. OK there was the glitch - but other than it all happened just as he said it would. Do people write to the newspaper and say "my crossword entry was ever so neat and absolutely correct, so I think I should get a prize for getting it in on time - no actually everyone who gets them in on time should get a bumper sticker..." ? I don't think so....

There's a thread to discuss suggestions for future comps - but other than that - this one is OVER - we can't be trying to make TJ add features at this stage.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Anyone seen the new eggies yet? ^^

There are a few people who won and said it here, but the others won't admit it. LUL. Because of major stalking, that's why. They know who they are.

It's like 8225 people who lost and 50 who won. rolleyes.gif

Well, I think TJ will wait until all (or most) of the winners have filled in the prize form, before he gives out the dragons. After all, the prize winners would have the chance to choose a non-prize dragon, too, if they so desire, and in that case their prize dragon would randomly (?) go to one of the lower prize ranks. So I assume it will be about a week after the emails went out, before the dragons are given out.

As for how my tree looks - it is a simple silver/blue one with silver Western dragon topper with none of the thick ribbon/garlands, but just lights and popcorn galore, spaced evenly and with the contrast of the tree colour and the colour of the ornaments in mind, so that it looks as balanced and elegant as possible. I guess you could say it looks a lot like a classical German christmas tree with the popcorn garlands replacing the (mostly silver) lametta one would be used to see here.

As for possible drama - drama will occur whenever a certain number of people get something that others don't.

BTW, I'm very happy that people chose not to flood me with PMs here. I will thus fulfill two IOUs first (where I contacted people who offered a trade I just couldn't resist in the Rare egg trade thread) and then give out some eggs to friends before I will breed eggs as FFAs that I will send to the AP (either announced in #dctrades or here in the Rare egg departure thread). That means there will be quite some eggs available for people who don't have anything to trade for, too. I heard from at least one other person in the chat who will breed her Prize dragon only to drop the eggs to the AP, so I think there will be offspring available for free, albeit rather rarely.

Edited by Astreya

Congrats to all the winners!!!

This was such a great event and I hope that there will be others like that in the future.

As for possible drama - drama will occur whenever a certain number of people get something that others don't.

This! But the winners should not worry about that. They did a great job and deserve their prizes!

Can't wait to see the new dragons!

Edited by drabrugon

Has anyone seen any new eggs in the hatcheries yet? With new descriptions?

I just hope we'll be able to see the adult sprites - I'm very curious to see the sprites! ^^

There are a few people who won and said it here, but the others won't admit it. LUL. Because of major stalking, that's why.

Well, that and the fact that the tree competition was not resticted to people on the forum. The majority of Dragoncave users are not registered on the forum, so presumably many of the winners will never post here. :-)

Has anyone seen any new eggs in the hatcheries yet? With new descriptions?

I haven't, but if you do please say something!