TJ09

2011-01-20 - Tree Decorating Contest is Over!

*double checked to make sure she didn't win anything* Yup X3 Still nothing. I wish I could see the awesome trees that won ^-^ I was also kind of shocked at the highest tree rating o.0 I was thinking the highest would be rated something like an 8 o3o

Didn't win but then I'm not too surprised. I did love my tree though so it's all good. Was fun decorating the trees too.

I was actually hoping that we could have the decorating turned back on so I could play around with my tree some more. Perhaps another time.

Congrats to the winners though.

*double checked to make sure she didn't win anything* Yup X3 Still nothing. I wish I could see the awesome trees that won ^-^ I was also kind of shocked at the highest tree rating o.0 I was thinking the highest would be rated something like an 8 o3o

might've been plain old sabotage

Hopefully, if there are more contests, they won't be just for sighted people. :-\

I got someone to decorate my tree for me, since I can't do it on my own, but I would've liked to have made my own entry.

This is an interesting point. Are there any contest ideas that you might suggest? I'm sure that a "What kind of contest would you like in the future" thread will pop up about it in SD sooner or later, and I'm really interested to see people's take on things, especilly in regards to real life issues.

Over 2 million votes and only 18,000 tens? o__o I know I only gave one tree a 10 while I was voting, but wow.

what happens if the winners/honorable mention people didnt see the email due to it going into the spam folder and them auto deleting it? Will it be resent after a specific time?

Probably, if TJ notices that you didn't respond. tongue.gif

Over 2 million votes and only 18,000 tens? o__o I know I only gave one tree a 10 while I was voting, but wow.

I probably gave out only 5 tens. Mostly I gave out 5 or 6 with some 7,8 or 9. All the no ornament trees, extremely over stuffed trees and glitched trees got 1.

Congrats to all the winners. smile.gif

Congrats all!

I didnt win but I had tons of fun. I voted on all the trees so I would like to see which trees made it into the top 200. I want to know which of many awsome trees I saw made it that far. I find I cant be dissappointed I didnt win (not that I expected too) for I got lots of celebrating done:

I am apperently even more addicted to dragcave then others, for I had not one but THREE dreams about this contest. lol I got an HM in one, the second I got a first place o.O (but that one was such a wierd dream if I described anything else about it I'd be accused of doing drugs lol) and I dont remember how the third ended.

Thanks so much TJ and spriters for such an awsome event. smile.gif

This is an interesting point. Are there any contest ideas that you might suggest? I'm sure that a "What kind of contest would you like in the future" thread will pop up about it in SD sooner or later, and I'm really interested to see people's take on things, especilly in regards to real life issues.

Well, since Dragon Cave is about dragons, maybe we could have a contest where we have to write a story, essay, poem, etc. about dragons. biggrin.gif

Or maybe even a double contest at once. Both an art and writing contest going on at the same time, but you can only enter in one or the other, and the prizes are the same. That way, for those who are no good/can't do one, they still have a chance to submit something and call it their own. smile.gif

Those were just off the top of my head. :-\ If I put more time into it, I could come up with more.

I agree. A contest like the Tree Decorating contest means everyone has the same parts, and is only limited by their own creativity. Fanart/fanfiction will be much more biased towards older players and/or players with more talent. More contests like this seem more fair.

And judging fiction or other written works would take a loooong time. I can only imagine poor TJ's distress at reading through 200 short stories, as opposed to looking at 200 trees.

I agree with having a Gingerbread House Decorating Competition next year. That sounds like fun. happy.gif

-sighs-

I dunno, I'm not trying to be the 'sore loser' in this, but it kinda is disheartening a little. The contest is cool and all, but at the same time it's kinda a headache causer.

I am an incredibly competitive person, and losing anything kinda grinds me the wrong way. The fact that HM could get a FRILL dragon, which I only have one frozen ungendered hatchling of, made me even more determined.

I can see a few people rage quitting dragcave over this contest. Like 'Ugh, I DIDN'T WIN, F**** dragcave, I'm NEVER going on again *rage rage rage*'

I'm of course not, since I'm obviously still here, but it could possibly happen.

Less competition for the next contest? =P

I agree. A contest like the Tree Decorating contest means everyone has the same parts, and is only limited by their own creativity. Fanart/fanfiction will be much more biased towards older players and/or players with more talent. More contests like this seem more fair.

And judging fiction or other written works would take a loooong time. I can only imagine poor TJ's distress at reading through 200 short stories, as opposed to looking at 200 trees.

They could be anonymous as well, you know. Also, there could be a certain topic you have to write about, to make it more fair. Writing is one of those things that can only go as far as the person creating the work would have it go. In other words, the creativity is just as limited.

He wouldn't have to be the only one judging... Mods could do it too, or you could just go by the votes (and have the works anonymous, as I said above, so there would be no favouritism unless someone posted their piece in hopes of getting a higher rating, which I think would be counted as cheating).

-sighs-

I dunno, I'm not trying to be the 'sore loser' in this, but it kinda is disheartening a little. The contest is cool and all, but at the same time it's kinda a headache causer.

I am an incredibly competitive person, and losing anything kinda grinds me the wrong way. The fact that HM could get a FRILL dragon, which I only have one frozen ungendered hatchling of, made me even more determined.

I can see a few people rage quitting dragcave over this contest. Like 'Ugh, I DIDN'T WIN, F**** dragcave, I'm NEVER going on again *rage rage rage*'

I'm of course not, since I'm obviously still here, but it could possibly happen.

I know how you feel on that one...

I felt like I did pretty well myself, but then when the time comes to having to submit your tree and find out you just weren't good enough, it kinda makes you feel belittled...like you're no better than the mat at your front door just because you tried to do something well.

At times I felt the same way over this, like you have to fight everyone for special eggs that you just have no luck at getting.

Now it's a time where you just have to beg around for any possible chance of someone breeding an egg for you. :/

Hate to do that but that's what it always comes down to doing for me.

Again, I REALLY try not to be a sore-loser, but my confidence is very little at the start (It's just how I am) so I hardly believe I can win anything at all |D

Edited by HollowSoul

-sighs-

I'm a big competitor, too X3 I was glum about losing, too, since I thought my tree was more of the creative trees. But, a contest is a contest X3 Though I am still feeling slightly bitter X3 I'm keeping my tree the way it is after the trees are viewable, so that people can see what I actually entered with tongue.gif Pretty proud of my tree *cuddles it* If it was possible to see the top 200 entries and see if I made it on there it might make me feel a bit better, but no biggie :3

Wow...

thanks to the 277 or so people who voted on mine, lol. Not like you know which one that was, haha.

Lol, I'm surprised each tree got voted on that many times.

-sighs-

I felt this way.. But only at first. My anger subsided when I just figured I'd try even harder next time.

I know it's hard to shrug this stuff off, but let's just face it: this is only one little contest that doesn't affect the rest of our lives. Now if you were thinking of becoming a professional tree-decorator and this contest crushed your hopes.. well, it was only virtual. Calm down, hypothetical person. wink.gif

BTW, if we do have a gingerbread house contest, I'd be super excited!

I love gingerbread houses xd.png

I agree with having a Gingerbread House Decorating Competition next year. That sounds like fun. happy.gif

Oooh, that does sound cute!

I also can't wait to see everybody's trees. /wants clickable links x3

-sighs-

I understand where you're coming from, but the entire game has a basis in competition. But, that aside, and in no way trying to belittle anyone's issue, if someone's going to get ragey about losing a contest, then why would they enter? If I knew I would take losing really hard, and there's not even a 1 in 100 chance that I'd win, then I just wouldn't participate.

Congrats to the winners!

I didn't win, but then I didn't expect to. I decorated my tree the same way I like to decorate my tree for Christmas. I'm of the mind 'less is more', if I can't see the tree through all the ornaments and such there's wayyyy to much on it.

Which is how I did the voting too. Trees that were decorated neatly and cleanly with a minimum to moderate amount of ornaments got the higher votes from me (6 or 7). The ones that were done that way with a color scheme (Blue and Silver or Red and Gold, etc...) got an 8 or 9. Most everything else got a 5 or lower. If I couldn't see the tree through the ornaments, meaning all ornaments & tree toppers were on the tree, they got a 2. All trees that were submitted with nothing on them got a 1.

Edited for spelling fail

This was my method for the most part as well. I decorated simply (though I do wish I'd managed to sign in every day - I missed a couple of ornaments I would have liked), making the tree look like something I'd have in my house. And I voted almost exactly like you did! Good to know I wasn't the only one with this method. I thought, at one point during voting, that maybe I was being too harsh. But some of the trees were kinda way over the top for my tastes, lol.