twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

Chickens did not evolve from T-rexes =p

Quoting for quotability.

I think the egg came first.

The egg was a runty dinosaur, which then grew to become a runt. It bred and adapted and evolved, formimg the chicken we have today. So the egg came first. Or, if you want to go further back, the bird dinosaur that gave birth to a bunch of runts.

Well the egg came first. How? As their earliest ancestors slowly evolved generation by generation over millions of years, one batch of eggs held the DNA of our modern day chicken. Maybe not exact, but similar enough.

God created it, fully formed.

Creationist out.

0/10 Troll harder.

Chickens were BRED BY HUMANS from wild ancestors. The bible doesn't even work as an excuse in this case.

chicken 1st eggs would go cold and die with out a chicken to warm it

I was expecting the title to be "Which came first egg or dragon?" tongue.gif

I believe the egg came first either way though smile.gif

Egg first- a critter very similar to a chicken (a descendant of the red jungle foul, the critter we bred chickens from) laid and warmed it, giving the basis for the modern chicken.

chicken 1st eggs would go cold and die with out a chicken to warm it

user posted image

It doesn't work that way. Whether the chicken itself or the egg came first, there would've been some sort of proto-chicken to hatch it. Or it was buried and warmed by ground heat. Or decaying plant material.

Seriously, it scares me that this has come up multiple times...

Those articles read to me like an attempt to garner public attention over something that would otherwise be boring and un-reportable to targeted audience. "Hey we found a protein in chicken ovaries that is the foundation of egg creation.." targeted audience yawns. "Hey we found the REAL answer to that age old riddle!" and people perk up because they can share such info around the water cooler at work to sound smart.

Poor scientists, I think your research is cool as is =(

In all seriousness, I stand by my opinion that the question is impossible to answer =o Our perception of where a chicken 'begins' or 'ends' throughout its ancestry is just that-- perception of fallible human minds. If the chicken came first, why is the creature that preceded it not a chicken? If the egg was first, why is the creature who laid it not a chicken? Is the concept of a 'chicken' even a reality? Is my answer actually a cop-out since I don't have any better theories? We may never know.

Egg.

The chicken could only have come from the chicken egg, but the egg could have come from the pre-chicken.

The chicken it was jsut created and stuff then it laid its eggs and reproduced more tasty flightless birds.

why is the creature who laid it not a chicken?

Maybe it had scales or a huge head or something? xd.png

Forget reasonable explanations and science, I say aliens dropped chickens on earth to spy on lizards which then began to lay eggs. tongue.gif

Edited by Sinister-by-Nature

Forget reasonable explanations and science, I say aliens dropped chickens on earth to spy on lizards which then began to lay eggs. tongue.gif

I have to agree with this. It by far sounds like the most logical answer to me. tongue.gif