twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

Chickens were domesticated from the Red Junglefowl. Therefore, at whatever line you'd like to draw, a red junglefowl hatched a chicken. Therefore, the egg came first, and was hatched by a junglefowl.

Even creationism can't say anything on this, as this sort of domestication has happened entirely within the time humans have been here, and is documented. (Same with al the other domestics)

Exactly!

I think we're done here? :3

I think that the egg and the chicken comes at the same time.

Or we are talking about something else....?

I think that the egg and the chicken comes at the same time.

Or we are talking about something else....?

We are debating what existed first, because there is a paradox:

• If chickens came first, what did they hatch from?
  • If eggs came first, who laid the eggs?
However, grimace summarizes what seems to be a good scientific answer:

That the egg came first, it was just laid by a different bird-like animal.

Edited by miladyz

Grimace, I am pointing out the fallacy of the argument - if someone says it can't have been the egg because it would freeze without the chicken, then where did the chicken hatch from and why did it not freeze?

Funny enough, the exact same thing was said in the last page.

Grimace, I am pointing out the fallacy of the argument - if someone says it can't have been the egg because it would freeze without the chicken, then where did the chicken hatch from and why did it not freeze?

Because it was being incubated by a junglefowl.

Because it was being incubated by a junglefowl.

Exactly.

Kestra was trying to point that out to one of the people who had said 'chicken first because then the egg would freeze'.

Exactly.

Kestra was trying to point that out to one of the people who had said 'chicken first because then the egg would freeze'.

OHH. Yeah. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was disagreeing. i think I meant to post something else, and forgot. lol

From an evolutionary perspective, the egg developed first. Even before reptiles and aves, primitive “eggs” where being laid by other taxa like fish, amphibians, and insects. The typical chicken egg that we think of today may not look like the jelly-coated egg of a frog, but the both still have the same purpose of providing the developing embryo with some level of nutrients and protection outside of the females body. Although a case could be made for 'live birth' in some snakes and sharks, this seems to further derived behavior as the animals normally have their young in eggs that hatch internally. So, yeah, the egg defiantly came first.

the egg because you have eggs for breakfast and chicken of dinner lol!

I have 2 different theories

#1(Scientic Genetics: Chicken because in human revolution has taught me one thing, Live Birth....(Look it up if you don't know what it means) A human can have a child, its born, have a genetic mutation/disorder and its offspring could be a hermaphrodite....

So, in chickens, a Bird-type creature could of had the first live-birth in its aminal stage and formed a chicken from a deformity, rejected it, and the chicken grew and lived on its own....

#2(Evolution): Both came first.....The chicken/egg was created by organisms found in water or whatever, and evolved through evolution and somewhere along the way, the genes split and those genes became the first egg and chicken.....

Besides, the only reason this question exists is to dictate between logic and fact, and to ponder the wonderous world we live in...

Those are just theories....

Besides, I'm nuetral party in any situation as I look at the glass as either 1/4th full or 3/4 empty or something like that....

Edited by White-Sword-Master

technically it would be the egg I guess. If we are accepting that evoultion is real, (and it is) then the t-rex which eventually became the chicken slowly started evolving that direction. Millions of years later, it reached the point where the egg hatched into the yummy chicken we know and love.

Chickens did not evolve from T-rexes =p

It's like people saying humans evolved from chimpanzees-- which is also untrue. We simply share a common ancestor before branching off into our respective evolutionary paths.

Chicken cause otherwise someone/something probably would have eaten the eggs and then there would be no chickens! o3o Fowlless logic!

I am pleasantly surprised that after ten pages, this hasn't turned into a religious debate/argument.

I think I like this community. :D

Don't see how this is much of an argument. The first chicken hatched from an egg laid by its non-chicken precursor.

Edited by JOTB

The chicken evolved from dinosaurs, and over time genetic mutations that were favorable caused the dinosaurs to evolve into modern day birds.

Don't see how this is much of an argument. The first chicken hatched from an egg laid by its non-chicken precursor.

At it's heart, this debate is essentially an evolution vs. creationism debate.

At it's heart, this debate is essentially an evolution vs. creationism debate.

I'ma pull a Hester.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Chicken first then egg I guess. The first chicken maybe didn't necessarily come from an egg? It just eventually evolved to lay them? -logical in my mind but likely messed up in so many ways- xd.png

Chicken first then egg I guess. The first chicken maybe didn't necessarily come from an egg? It just eventually evolved to lay them? -logical in my mind but likely messed up in so many ways- xd.png

Nope. The ancestors of ALL birds laid eggs. No bird gives live birth.