twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

Assuming chicken were the first animal able to lay eggs but chickens hatch from eggs which came first? (imaginary made up theories allowed)

Assuming that, chickens don't exist.

Because if it didn't hatch from an egg it is not a chicken, and if it wasn't laid by a chicken, it isn't an egg.

The chicken of course. God created the chicken which laid the egg. End of discusscion.

Prove it.

Go read the bible. Do we actually have proof of evolution?

\God did create the dinos also, but the bible is about the birth of man. And even if evolution is real, some dinosaur would have evloved into a chicken, not evolving through an egg, it wouldnt survive.

\God did create the dinos also, but the bible is about the birth of man. And even if evolution is real, some dinosaur would have evloved into a chicken, not evolving through an egg, it wouldnt survive.

There is quite a bit of evidence for evolution, yes. The Bible isn't scientific evidence for anything and really doesn't have a place in academic debate.

And that isn't quite how evolution works, something that was almost-a-chicken-but-not-quite would have laid the first chicken egg. Not a dinosaur.

Considering not everyone (actually, a lot of people here) does not believe in your god or the Bible, evolution of the chicken and egg is going to definitely be a point here. Evolution does have a significant amount of evidence, much more so than the Bible.

Considering not everyone (actually, a lot of people here) does not believe in your god or the Bible, evolution of the chicken and egg is going to definitely be a point here. Evolution does have a significant amount of evidence, much more so than the Bible.

No historical or archaeological find has ever contradicted the Bible, and in fact often substantiates claims. The Biblical King David was laughed at as non existent until further records were uncovered. Places named in the Bible were mocked for years as fanciful and made up until they were excavated (Nineveh is a prime example). Judging by number of copies and date of copies as compared to the original transcription, the new testament is the most "authenticated" document in the world (meaning not necessarily that the facts contained within are true but that they are true to the original manuscripts). There is plenty of physical evidence for the recorded events in the Bible. Evolution has a lack of completely convincing evidence that is profound considering the billions of years that it has been going on. In that amount of time, there should be plenty things to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that X animal evolved into Y animal. There is no such thing shown. And it's not just the "bible thumpers" who disagree with evolution. There are atheist mathematicians who reject the theory because of the mathematical impossibility of even one protein forming spontaneously from non-living substances, much less whole cells and complex organisms. Disagreeing with evolution is not ignorant, and neither is it stupid nor Christian.

And that isn't quite how evolution works, something that was almost-a-chicken-but-not-quite would have laid the first chicken egg. Not a dinosaur.

Going back further, before the chicken, before dinos, etc, wouldn't they be the same thing at one point? When life was beginning, and there were only single-celled organisms. Logically, in my mind, it's still the egg. Some multi-celled organism would have a mutation that caused it to replicate using an egg over simply splitting in two.

If it isn't obvious, I'm on the side of science and evolution, for what that matters.

I agree with Phil, life never has and doesn't begin on it's own, just like a baby doesn't just appear out of thin air. Evolution is something I can't believe at all because scienctist can't decide weather their right or other scientist who have a different theory where life came from. Life doesn't pop up out of thin air today so why would it have back then. Living things in this world are way too complex that it ridiculous to believe they just happened by chance, they had to be created. It's like saying a chair just appeared out of thin air when you know some one made the chair and took the time to model it. Saying a chair just came about by chance is dumb and no one would believe that.

Edited by Silverwingwyvren

Here's what science says about it:

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens.

The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg.

So, the egg must have come first.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environme.../question85.htm

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-05-26/tech/ch...cken?_s=PM:TECH

To those who believe the Bible: Is it possible that God created evolution?

I agree with Phil, life never has and doesn't begin on it's own, just like a baby doesn't just appear out of thin air. Evolution is something I can't believe at all because scienctist can't decide weather their right or other scientist who have a different theory where life came from. Life doesn't pop up out of thin air today so why would it have back then. Living things in this world are way too complex that it ridiculous to believe they just happened by chance, they had to be created. It's like saying a chair just appeared out of thin air when you know some one made the chair and took the time to model it. Saying a chair just came about by chance is dumb and no one would believe that.

Living things originating from nonliving matter = abiogenesis.

Evolution is simply change over time. It says nothing about the origin of life, just about how living things change from one form to another.

/nitpick.

No historical or archaeological find has ever contradicted the Bible, and in fact often substantiates claims. The Biblical King David was laughed at as non existent until further records were uncovered. Places named in the Bible were mocked for years as fanciful and made up until they were excavated (Nineveh is a prime example). Judging by number of copies and date of copies as compared to the original transcription, the new testament is the most "authenticated" document in the world (meaning not necessarily that the facts contained within are true but that they are true to the original manuscripts). There is plenty of physical evidence for the recorded events in the Bible. Evolution has a lack of completely convincing evidence that is profound considering the billions of years that it has been going on. In that amount of time, there should be plenty things to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that X animal evolved into Y animal. There is no such thing shown. And it's not just the "bible thumpers" who disagree with evolution. There are atheist mathematicians who reject the theory because of the mathematical impossibility of even one protein forming spontaneously from non-living substances, much less whole cells and complex organisms. Disagreeing with evolution is not ignorant, and neither is it stupid nor Christian.

I did not say the Bible has no evidence; I don't have the data to make that claim, but it seems like you replied to me as if I did. I, personally, have seen much more evidence for evolution than religion. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any proof for religion. If you could show me cold, hard evidence, I would love it for future reference.

Evolution has fossil records and other forms of real-time examples, like AIDS. Hydrogen, carbon, and other pieces of the recipe for life are found in stars. If you don't believe evolution happened, that's fine, but evidence I have seen in my life leads me to lean toward it. In addition to this, I never called disagreeing with evolution "stupid" or "ignorant", so I really don't know where that came from, because I do not think people who disagree with evolution are any of those terms.

I'm sorry if I offended you, because that was not my intention in the slightest.

:/

To those who believe the Bible: Is it possible that God created evolution?

No I'm pretty sure thats something Darwin thought up and passed on to others. The bible actually is backed up by science but many people cast the bible aside and deem it fiction or just stories and that is has no meaning. When man thought the earth was flat and not round where did they find out it was a sphere from hanging on nothing? think about it, they didn't have space ships back then let alone planes that could go very high. So they got the notation that the earth was in fact a sphere hanging on nothing from the bible.

Another thing people tried to get rid of the bible and we all know that failed big time, and the bible is the oldest book, the most numerous book, there are more bibles in the world than any other book. So evidently if man couldn't get rid of the the bible obviously man didn't write it, the words were not from a mans mouth.

Living things originating from nonliving matter = abiogenesis.

A star is a contradiction to that do to the fact that gas is made of many parts that are living and combine to form another living thing, hence a baby, cells replicate to form the embyro and life starts from a blue print basically, a cell is a big contradiction to the idea of life forming from non-life, people didn't form from rocks, rocks aren't alive so what since would it make for an inanimate object such as a rock to create and aninmate object such as a bird is not logical thinking.

Evolution doens't have the answer to this, the sun is the perfect distance from earth if it were any further we would freeze to death, if it were any close we would roast alive, the moon is perfectly alined next to the earth its nt orbiting crooked, the earth is at a perfect angel, it being off would spell disaster for us, you can't see the air around you yet you can feel it you breath it, oxygen is not every where this is the only planet with it, no where else have scientists found the amount of perfect oxygen balance any where else in our solar system. Saying that this planet sustained life by chance, that the sun it at the perfect distance by chance, that the earth is at the right angel by chance, that oxygen exists by chance is like saying you were born by chance, or you did your homework by chance.

Here's what science says about it:

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens.

The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg.

So, the egg must have come first.

What she said is what I think.

Evolution doens't have the answer to this, the sun is the perfect distance from earth if it were any further we would freeze to death, if it were any close we would roast alive, the moon is perfectly alined next to the earth its nt orbiting crooked, the earth is at a perfect angel, it being off would spell disaster for us, you can't see the air around you yet you can feel it you breath it, oxygen is not every where this is the only planet with it, no where else have scientists found the amount of perfect oxygen balance any where else in our solar system. Saying that this planet sustained life by chance, that the sun it at the perfect distance by chance, that the earth is at the right angel by chance, that oxygen exists by chance is like saying you were born by chance, or you did your homework by chance.

With the trillions of billions of planets, probability says there would be at least one planet in this infinite universe perfectly able to sustain life. The universe is big. Everything you said at the end is by chance, besides the homework one, which I don't understand.

You weren't born by chance? If your mom had a child any other month of any other year, you wouldn't be here. In addition to that, there was another series of which each person passes the probability of millions of other different factors. Yes, it was by chance you were born.

Either way, this is getting a tad bit off-topic.

Edited for typos.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

No I'm pretty sure thats something Darwin thought up and passed on to others. The bible actually is backed up by science but many people cast the bible aside and deem it fiction or just stories and that is has no meaning. When man thought the earth was flat and not round where did  they find out it was a sphere from hanging on nothing? think about it, they didn't have space ships back then let alone planes that could go very high. So they got the notation that the earth was in fact a sphere hanging on nothing from the bible.

Another thing people tried to get rid of the bible and we all know that failed big time, and the bible is the oldest book, the most numerous book, there are more bibles in the world than any other book. So evidently if man couldn't get rid of the the bible obviously man didn't write it, the words were not from a mans mouth.

Er- wasn't the one who discovered the earth was round Copernicus? *google search*

Nope. Pythagoras and Eratosthenes did that.

Among the ancient Greeks, Homer thought the world to be flat. In contrast, Pythagoras postulated that the earth was round. A century later, Aristotle sided with the theory of the roundness of the earth.

Leave it to the clever Greek investigator Eratosthenes to bring it all together with a calculation (and a remarkably accurate one!) about the diameter of the earth, and also the inclination of its axis of rotation to its orbital plane about the sun.

(Source)

As for your second, what about fairy tales? Or Harry Potter? There's no getting rid of that one now. Doesn't make it any more than a(n admittedly awesome) story. Just to make a point.

Also, I have a curious question. It plagues science how life initially started. Or at least I think it does. Maybe I'm behind in times. Anyway - Bible followers say God created all life, problem solved. So who/what do you believe created God? Or do you believe even God just one day poofed into existence as well? Or something else? ...Please don't take this wrong, I'm honestly curious. huh.gif

Sorry for any off-topic. I think it's a similar enough question.

I am an atheist so...

Technical Answer:

technically bacteria came first, it involved into a chicken.

So technically the chicken came first...

in my opinion.

Magical made up opinion:

Some animal transformed into a chicken after many years of change.

I am an atheist so...

Technical Answer:

technically bacteria came first, it involved into a chicken.

So technically the chicken came first...

in my opinion.

Magical made up opinion:

Some animal transformed into a chicken after many years of change.

Bacteria = Bacteria =/= Chicken.

No I'm pretty sure thats something Darwin thought up and passed on to others. but many people cast the bible aside and deem it fiction or just stories and that is has no meaning. When man thought the earth was flat and not round where did they find out it was a sphere from hanging on nothing? think about it, they didn't have space ships back then let alone planes that could go very high..

Another thing people tried to get rid of the bible and we all know that failed big time, and the bible is the oldest book, the most numerous book, there are more bibles in the world than any other book.

A star is a contradiction to that do to the fact that gas is made of many parts that are living and combine to form another living thing, hence a baby, cells replicate to form the embyro and life starts from a blue print basically, a cell is a big contradiction to the idea of life forming from non-life, people didn't form from rocks, rocks aren't alive so what since would it make for an inanimate object such as a rock to create and aninmate object such as a bird is not logical thinking.

Evolution doens't have the answer to this, the sun is the perfect distance from earth if it were any further we would freeze to death, if it were any close we would roast alive, the moon is perfectly alined next to the earth its nt orbiting crooked, the earth is at a perfect angel, it being off would spell disaster for us, you can't see the air around you yet you can feel it you breath it, oxygen is not every where this is the only planet with it, no where else have scientists found the amount of perfect oxygen balance any where else in our solar system. , or you did your homework by chance.

"The bible actually is backed up by science"

No, it isn't really.

" So they got the notation that the earth was in fact a sphere hanging on nothing from the bible" No, that was discovered (to the best of my knowledge) by a massive library. I'm pretty sure the bible says absolutely nothing about the earth being a sphere. You don't need to be in space to be able to tell the earth isn't flat.

" So evidently if man couldn't get rid of the the bible obviously man didn't write it, the words were not from a mans mouth."

This just makes no sense whatsoever.

"rocks aren't alive so what since would it make for an inanimate object such as a rock to create and aninmate object such as a bird is not logical thinking."

wat. This is because rocks didn't turn into birds. Life started out as insanely simple things, probably even simpler than bacteria today.

"Saying that this planet sustained life by chance, that the sun it at the perfect distance by chance, that the earth is at the right angel by chance, that oxygen exists by chance is like saying you were born by chance"

This is by chance. Think of it this way. In our universe, there are estimated to be around 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. With a number that huge, it is essentially impossible there wouldn't be a planet perfect for life. (On a side note, aliens not existing is also pretty much mathematically impossible)

The chicken....the egg would freeze to death without the hen sittin on it.

Where did the chicken come from?

Where did the chicken come from?

Let me conclude the debate.

Chickens were domesticated from the Red Junglefowl. Therefore, at whatever line you'd like to draw, a red junglefowl hatched a chicken. Therefore, the egg came first, and was hatched by a junglefowl.

Even creationism can't say anything on this, as this sort of domestication has happened entirely within the time humans have been here, and is documented. (Same with al the other domestics)

Grimace, I am pointing out the fallacy of the argument - if someone says it can't have been the egg because it would freeze without the chicken, then where did the chicken hatch from and why did it not freeze?