twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

It came from the future! When scientist invented a time portal, they wondered what would happen if they sent a living thing into the past. So they grabbed a random passing chicken and shoved it through the portal into the past and chickens have been around ever since. tongue.gif

LOL, I like that theory! biggrin.gif

But wait, if that's how chickens got here, then how are they in the future in the first place? blink.gif

eh it is just like saying who came first the dragon or the egg the answer is none! tj did. i mean how can a egg be is there is no one the make it and plus if there is a egg sitting around wouldn't someone cook it and eat it?

But wait, if that's how chickens got here, then how are they in the future in the first place? blink.gif

Somewhere in the universe, a black hole just opened.

STOP MAKING PARADOXES! blink.gifxd.png

The first was a chicken. Who would have warmed the egg? Maybe mammoth or dino. xd.png

QUOTE (Ladybugheart @ Jan 15 2011, 03:58 PM)

Somewhere in the universe, a black hole just opened.

STOP MAKING PARADOXES! blink.gif xd.png.png

First of all the chickens in the future came from the past durrr. The chickens from the past were sent there by the scientist of the future which sent the chicken whose ancestor was itself which was sent into the past. Simple right? xd.png

However if a black hole were to open the paradox will not be closed causing the chickens to disappear from one point so how did the chicken come about?! This would result in a discrepancy causing the entire fabric of time and space to collapse!

First of all the chickens in the future came from the past durrr. The chickens from the past were sent there by the scientist of the future which sent the chicken whose ancestor was itself which was sent into the past. Simple right? xd.png

However if a black hole were to open the paradox will not be closed causing the chickens to disappear from one point so how did the chicken come about?! This would result in a discrepancy causing the entire fabric of time and space to collapse!

first paragraph:

second paragraph: *brain implodes*

So the chickens of the future came from the past, and the chickens from the past came from the future? And her ancestor is herself? O_o

Edited by Ladybugheart

LOL, I like that theory!                            biggrin.gif

But wait, if that's how chickens got here, then how are they in the future in the first place?                blink.gif

The chickens from the past were sent from the future, and the chickens in the future were sent from the past... It all makes sense now.

And here is my real answer...

The scientists sent the chicken to the past, so when the decided to send it back in the future, the chicken they sent to the past was the chicken that they already sent back to the past. So, the chicken existed from the past and to the point when the scientists decided to send it to the future.

That was probably too confusing to comprehend. I apologize, my brain has imploded.

Edited by chuhulil

My kid became my uncle but became my brother and my wife is my grandmother... *brain implodes*

People tend to think of time as a linear thing. For time travel to work it has to be more like a fourth dimension. So you can travel in the x, y, z, and, we can call it t, axis. So if we put a chicken back and time there now is, was, and always be a chicken on part of the t axis, and all points from that point until the chicken's extinction. The chicken was always there. If you think of all points in time as all happening at the same time, everything that is always was and always will be. Hence the chicken was brought from back in time and therefore exists later in time. There was not a time before the chicken was brought back in time. It is also insured that the time traveling chicken project will be successful before it is even started because the chicken does exist. It can be known what is going to happen because it already happened. The trick for time travel is thinking of time as non-linear.

...May-haps we need another thread...

Merged with Evolution thread, because it's basically just a shootoff question.

Well, if I had to answer the "what came first, egg or chicken" question, I'd have to start with defining what a chicken is. Which exact traits are necessary for a chicken to be a chicken?

And then the same for the chicken egg. What is a chicken egg? An egg laid by a chicken (according to the chicken definition from above), or an egg from which a chicken (according to the chicken definition from above) hatches?

As you can easily see, it's all a matter of definition.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey wimey... ... stuff.

Time is pretty much like a ball made of thick oatmeal.

This also raises the question of what might happen if we sent a number of creatures that could, theoretically, survive back in time... would they evolve to be something wildly different, or what? xd.png

QUOTE (Ladybugheart @ Jan 15 2011, 03:58 PM)

Wibbly-wobbly, timey wimey... ... stuff.

Time is pretty much like a ball made of thick oatmeal.

This also raises the question of what might happen if we sent a number of creatures that could, theoretically, survive back in time... would they evolve to be something wildly different, or what? xd.png.png

To prevent that from happening some guy in the sky (who existed outside of time in the 5th dimension) hits the big reset button and wipes out 99.9% of life on earth. What do you think happened to the dinos and dragons. However chickens as shown in DC existed along with them and survived till now and will continue to do so in the future and be sent back into the past. smile.gif

This is to prevent any 3rd dimensional being who have control over the 4th dimension from messing around with stuff beyond their 3rd dimensional comprehension. Which is why the 5th dimension dude needs intervene with the natural progress of time.

With 99.9%of earth obliterated, the 5th dimension dude's boss wasnt happy with him for wrecking the 3rd dimension so the the 5th dimension dude started work and in 1 day, created the other 99.9% of earth making earth round again (instead of a flat disc in the middle of nowhere) by pressing the Ctrl + Alt + Delete buttons which were next to the reset button (the New Earth appeared in huge flash of light in a Bing Bang the leftovers were scattered over the universe as the 5th dimension dude was too lazy to clean it up). He then proceeded to grab an assortment of creatures from the 5th dimension and tossed it into the New Earth and POOF in 7 days the New Earth, New Creatures and Stuff were created. Of course there is still the 0.1% of living creatures which survived the process and one of them was is and will be the chicken in the past/present/future.

The 5th dimension dude then took a few million earth years of vacation and was never heard of again. (He still popped back once in a while to do some wacky stuff like hit another Reset button causing a flood to wipe out 99.9% of living things for fun as the New Earth got a bit too overcrowded for his taste. The chickens survived that one too)

Edited by Vampyrielle

This got merged with evolution. As it is a philosophical question, I believe it needs it's own thread, and split it out. Keep these posts away from evolution please.

Even a metaphorical circle has a beginning, even if it is only arbitrarily chosen.

But being arbitrarily chosen doesn't make it correct or the actual beginning.

Lesse: 4X + 2Y + Z = 42

You can pick X = 7, Y = 5, Z = 4

. . .

Or you can pick X = 1, Y = 2, Z = 34

More than one answer that can fit, just as with there's more than one spot to choose the "beginning" of a circle to be at. If they are all right, the whole circle is the beginning, which doesn't really make sense. o3o

I know the answer.

Clearly the egg came first.

Since there was no specification that it had to be a chicken egg.

biggrin.gif

(I like disregarding first posts wink.gif Besides, dinosaurs weren't the first egg layers anyway)

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

But being arbitrarily chosen doesn't make it correct or the actual beginning.

Lesse: 4X + 2Y + Z = 42

You can pick X = 7, Y = 5, Z = 4

. . .

Or you can pick X = 1, Y = 2, Z = 34

More than one answer that can fit, just as with there's more than one spot to choose the "beginning" of a circle to be at. If they are all right, the whole circle is the beginning, which doesn't really make sense. o3o

Doesn't change the fact that you've chosen a beginning. Yes, you change your reference point time and again, but that means in each instance you've still arbitrarily chosen a start point. I didn't say there was a unique beginning in all instances - by being arbitrary that just means in every instance you can chose any point as your start point

It's called Back to the future. lol

But there was land on which to lay them.

Who said chickens have been around millions of years?

III DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Of course! They live in caves!

But, really, to this question: Does it really matter? It just depends if you believe in some certain stuff or not.

Eh, can we get this back to the question at hand?

If would say the egg comes first, but that's because I believe chickens evolved from a previous egg-laying species.

If would say the egg comes first, but that's because I believe chickens evolved from a previous egg-laying species.

I agree, there were many egg laying dinosaur species that were the ancestors of modern day birds, thus egg before chicken xd.png

That's what I believe too... There are many species that laid eggs, so the possibility is very high.

Actual chickens? Yes, the egg came first, and evolution/creation has nothing to do with it. Chickens were bred from wild birds, so at some point along the domestication a chicken egg was laid.