Saif

Pet Peeves

Just noticed this one about myself because my BF pointed it out to me the other day...When the microwave is paused, if I notice it is bugs me until the time is cleared. He mentioned my Mother does the same thing, so I guess this is one of those things that has been branded to my soul lol.

When I am smoking a cigarette (bleh) and someone takes it out of my hand and starts smoking it vigorously.

Given a list of random things to do even some that require hardly any thought because they are minor things concerning months from now.

Being told to do something by anyone and having them look at me like I am not grasping anything they are telling me. Why not make a whole power point presentation while your at it. If I don't know what you are talking about, you've caught my interest and I would ask questions if it peaked my interest.

Lot's of simple things like this tick me smile.gif

Alright, it's a minor one, but

when people write "nebulas" instead of the proper plural term "nebulae" xd.png I was reminded of this when seeing people talk about the dragons. :U ahh it's just a wee bit irksome, but it's understandable. It's a weird word that doesn't follow the normal rules of English!

The worst stuff is the classic you're vs your, etc. All of those. I suppose contractions in general are annoying when improperly used. xd.png I forgive those who aren't all too fluent in English but I really think it's a sign of ignorance and laziness when someone who is native and has been in school and around this stuff for YEARS to make those errors outside of occasional mistakes. D:

Nebulae is because it is Latin, not English at all. But what about forums instead of fora ? Another wrong'un.

Syllabuses instead of syllaboi (because that one is Greek) ?

And my BIGGEST peeve in that area is one that I can't remember at the moment - but I'll be back with it. It comes up in news reports the whole time and they ALWAYS use the plural and then a singular verb to go with it.

GOT it - "The criteria for this is...". The singular is CRITERION, people.

I am SO with you mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

shovedtbh - doesn't your microwave keep beeping every 30 seconds or so till you take the food out ? THAT drives me nuts.

But what about forums instead of fora ? Another wrong'un.

Syllabuses instead of syllaboi (because that one is Greek) ?

GOT it - "The criteria for this is...". The singular is CRITERION, people.

Forums is correct. My dictionary gives me this for fora: "plural form of forum ( sense 3)." and sense 3 for forum is: "3 (pl. fora |ˈfôrə| ) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business." But otherwise, forums is correct.

Hah, I suppose American English slightly differs in spelling it without the o: syllabi. But then again there are a lot of words that are spelled slightly differently (for whatever reason!)

Oh gosh criteria. That reminds me of media! Media is plural, while medium is singular, but a lot of people use media in a singular sense (NOT like news or other social media, though those sometimes irk me to, and I think media became singular in that regard BECAUSE it was used like that so much!). I mostly refer to art when I say that, though.

Some other weird plural/singular words are things with -thesis and thesis itself, like parenthesis (singular of parentheses, though usually parentheses are in a set anyway).

...words are weird.

EDIT: oh, when people misspell weird as 'wierd'. And also misspell misspell as 'mispell' XD VERY common mistake!

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Smokers blowing cigarette smoke at my face.

Smokers not realizing that they are blowing cigarette smoke at my face when they're talking to me.

Smokers following me when I step to the side to make an effort to escape the cigarette smoke, and then *still* blowing cigarette smoke at my face.

See, I don't care if you make an effort to kill yourself this way for whatever reason, but I *loathe* that stench you make!

And fresh from this morning:

A highway, 3 lanes, I'm on the right-most, the 2 on the left are empty. I'm driving at the allowed speed limit (100 kilometers per hour). In the mirror, I see a van coming behind me, on my lane (the right-most), and it's definitely *TOO FAST*! Right on the last possible moment, that son-of-a-bog finally changes lanes.

One of these days, I shall have a bazooka with me ... dry.gif

...words are weird.

EDIT: oh, when people misspell weird as 'wierd'.

Well, as I learned like 10 years ago: "I before E except after C" (I was staring at that sentence and couldn't figure out what it was supposed to mean - someone had that statement without any explanation in their signature.) So, weird is a weird exception from that rule biggrin.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Forums is correct. My dictionary gives me this for fora: "plural form of forum ( sense 3)." and sense 3 for forum is: "3 (pl. fora |ˈfôrə| ) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business." But otherwise, forums is correct.

Hah, I suppose American English slightly differs in spelling it without the o: syllabi. But then again there are a lot of words that are spelled slightly differently (for whatever reason!)

Oh gosh criteria. That reminds me of media! Media is plural, while medium is singular, but a lot of people use media in a singular sense (NOT like news or other social media, though those sometimes irk me to, and I think media became singular in that regard BECAUSE it was used like that so much!). I mostly refer to art when I say that, though.

Some other weird plural/singular words are things with -thesis and thesis itself, like parenthesis (singular of parentheses, though usually parentheses are in a set anyway).

...words are weird.

EDIT: oh, when people misspell weird as 'wierd'. And also misspell misspell as 'mispell' xd.png VERY common mistake!

ACTUALLY American spelling for the plural of syllabus is based on the US assumption that the word was Latin rather than Greek. (I have had WORDS with US English teachers about this.)

But TBH I don't mind syllabuses or forums that much (though syllabi is very very wrong !) - I was having fun. But the criterion one REALLY gets to me. Say criterion/criterions if you MUST try and anglicise ! but YUK !

And yes to media too - though when used about communications, I suppose in general it is used as a singular noun covering a host of - media methods !!!

But to say that da Vinci used the media of oil to paint the Mona Lisa - yes - HORRIBLE.

And yes to those spellings and many MANY others... We should carry this on by PM, as I have HUNDREDS of spelling peeves... (and the Terrae dragons trouble me, actually wink.gif)

But - ferry to catch; see you next week !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Have a safe trip! smile.gif

(I actually learned "syllable" where you'd just append the usual plural "s" in English lectures ...)

Have a safe trip! smile.gif

(I actually learned "syllable" where you'd just append the usual plural "s" in English lectures ...)

Syllable is a "normal word" and the plural IS syllables. The issue is syllabus - as in curriculum (another word often used FAR too often in the plural (curricula) when they mean the singular.)

And thanks; I will !

Recently, after playing a lot of Town of Salem: People who play that game and never write down their notes. Sheriffs, Investigators, Lookouts etc... HUR AMA JUST CLICK RANDOM BUTTONS TIL LTHE GAME TELLS ME I FOUND THE SK OR MAFIA GUYZ LELEL!!!

censorkip.gif you. Stop wasting your role and go play something appropriate for your IQ, like one of those mindless Zynga "games".

Recently, after playing a lot of Town of Salem: People who play that game and never write down their notes. Sheriffs, Investigators, Lookouts etc... HUR AMA JUST CLICK RANDOM BUTTONS TIL LTHE GAME TELLS ME I FOUND THE SK OR MAFIA GUYZ LELEL!!!

censorkip.gif you. Stop wasting your role and go play something appropriate for your IQ, like one of those mindless Zynga "games".

Yes. This, so much. And towns that ignore obvious criminals in favor of lynching someone random or someone who is actually helping.

People who don't know where the censorkip.gif mayus button is.And people who abuse of it.

People who spell "dying" like "dieing".

People who scream random gibberish at me because I'm bilingual (English, Mandarin, and I'm learning French right now).

People who assume that I have no life outside of studying because I'm Chinese.

People who think that I'm Japanese.

People who think that I'm a crazy fangirl for that -one- stupid Hetalia joke that I cracked during Social Studies...

People who scream random gibberish at me because I'm bilingual (English, Mandarin, and I'm learning French right now).

People who assume that I have no life outside of studying because I'm Chinese.

People who think that I'm Japanese.

I feel you. I live in Japan and everyone thinks I'm American/British, but I'm German. I get screamed at in crappy English (admittedly, doesn't happen that much anymore since I moved).

And if they find out I'm German, it's mostly about beer, sausages and WWII. "Oh you're German! So you like beer right? W-What, you hate the taste of beer? How is that? Are you really German?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

People who "mistreat" their animals, as in "too much love for the animal". It is not cute when your animal tries to bite you when you want to take things away from them and when they dictate you what you can do in your own home. You are doing something wrong.

Edited by Mondat

People who apologises excessively. Sorry for others. It's not really an issue nor is it your fault.

The fact that I and others are spending time catching Holly eggs for those who don't have any, or have slow connections and can't get any themselves, and most of these people snatching them up can't be bothered with a simple 'Thank you'. God, that pisses me off, not just for my sake but for all the people around here trying to be nice and don't get an ounce of appreciation for it. I see so many people giving Holly eggs and nobody says a damn word in return half the time. Is taking the time to say 'Thanks' for someone's kindness that much to ask? Are catchers expecting too much wanting a simple word of acknowledgment or to know the egg is valued? I guess around here it is. dry.gif

I've given away my last Holly to those types and I really hope others quit bothering, too. Get your own eggs from now on, you ungrateful people. I'll give mine to those who appreciate the effort people make, never again to those who very obviously don't.

mad.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

The fact that I and others are spending time catching Holly eggs for those who don't have any, or have slow connections and can't get any themselves, and most of these people snatching them up can't be bothered with a simple 'Thank you'.  God, that pisses me off, not just for my sake but for all the people around here trying to be nice and don't get an ounce of appreciation for it.  I see so many people giving Holly eggs and nobody says a damn word in return half the time.  Is taking the time to say 'Thanks' for someone's kindness that much to ask?  Are catchers expecting too much wanting a simple word of acknowledgment or to know the egg is valued?  I guess around here it is.  dry.gif

I've given away my last Holly to those types and I really hope others quit bothering, too.  Get your own eggs from now on, you ungrateful people.  I'll give mine to those who appreciate the effort people make, never again to those who very obviously don't. 

mad.gif

Well, MM, I for one, can say that I DO appreciate those people that caught my Hollies... they know who they are.

I was having no sort of luck at catching any myself, so being able to grab some from departures was helpful to me... and I am sure to others who had the same problem.

So... not everyone is ungrateful.

Edited by Silverswift

I didn't say everyone.

nobody says a damn word in return half the time

I gave away a handful of Holly eggs yesterday and ONE person said thank you. That's just sad. I can't even begin to imagine taking something from someone and not saying a single word. It's mind boggling. People that express that they're pleased with an egg, even just a word or two, are very much appreciated. It motivates catchers to want to help people more if they know that people like and appreciate the eggs. smile.gif The other half don't motivate me to want to do a thing. From now on, I hold the eggs until I find someone who I know will appreciate it. Problem solved.

Edited by MedievalMystic

The use of the words "herp" and "derp", and other variants.

Individuals who choose a username for themselves, then get upset when you use it over some alternative.

Edited by IceSapphyre

I didn't say everyone.

I gave away a handful of Holly eggs yesterday and ONE person said thank you. That's just sad. I can't even begin to imagine taking something from someone and not saying a single word. It's mind boggling. People that express that they're pleased with an egg, even just a word or two, are very much appreciated. It motivates catchers to want to help people more if they know that people like and appreciate the eggs. smile.gif The other half don't motivate me to want to do a thing. From now on, I hold the eggs until I find someone who I know will appreciate it. Problem solved.

What do you like best, a thank you in a thread like the departures, or a PM with a thanks?

I always worry someone won't see my thank you in the thread, especially in busy season like this, but I don't want to be harassing with a PM.

I'm fit to spit over people telling me or others to have some or find their Holiday/Christmas spirit. No, I'm not excited or happy. I'm so busy with work, regular life obligations, and now have to do Christmas junk on top of it. I have Crohns disease and am on an immunosuppressant called Humira, so not only am I usually exhausted but I can get a cold so easily it isn't funny. Also thanks to the lack of immune system I developed this massive allergy to cigarette smoke - being around even clothing of smokers starts to give me a post nasal drip that makes me cough for hours after the exposure. (And coworkers smoke, coworkers I have to work in close areas with....)

So I have pretty much had that going on for months. I have a new steroid nasal spray to try now to see if it makes a difference. Allergy OTC meds don't help.

So Im supposed to be happy and excited over so much extra work? Really? And have people get upset at me for not wanting to get together? Wow. Awesome.

If someone isn't into it, why can't they just get left alone. It's not like I'm telling others not to have fun. I just don't have the energy to be out every day after work, and have actual responsibilities to complete first anyway.

These kittens my family is taking care of right now. We're taking them to a pet shop soon, within the next few days. They have utterly destroyed my beautiful sun room. They're crapping and peeing everywhere, in spite of a litter box I've been trying to get them to use and God, what a mess. They've knocked over and broken things I have sitting on a table in there and they've destroyed my plants. They can go outside to go to the bathroom, too, but they don't. They obviously prefer the floor. dry.gif

It's been raining for 3 days now and they haven't left the sun room so you can imagine the mess. I feel heartless throwing them out in the rain and shutting the door. As soon as I manage to clean up one mess, I come back a few hours later and it's back. The mom cat sneaks into the house every chance she gets and immediately attacks my own cats. I'm tired of it. I'm seriously considering calling the pound to come and get her. I don't know what else to do. She's a very sweet cat, but we had some unexpected repair bills come up and I can't afford to get her spayed now. Ugh. How do I get myself into these things? The saying, 'No good deed goes unpunished'? Indeed. I feel so sorry for these cats, but I can't keep them all or care for them forever. And I'm worried that another litter will be on the way soon, God forbid. sad.gif

I could slap the piss out of that irresponsible, dumbass woman that left that stray here when she left town. mad.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

Hello dear friends! smile.gif I shall tell you a story where I was annoyed.

It took place many years ago, more than three years. I was in deviantART chat. I was looking around for help with getting some tutorials with Macromedia Flash. I then ask if anyone knows how I can search for them when one rudely replied, "How old are you that Flash is still Macromedia?". >_> I wanted to retort "Older than your great grandma!"... but I didn't.

I am aware that Adobe aquired Flash but one, the software title still says Macromedia, two, I'm quite fond of Macro over Adobe by name and three, I can't catch up with the news of what companies do. There's too many, like thrillions of them.

I also find the chat room too chaotic for my liking. There's a lot of swears and curses going on. I think I'll stick with other chat rooms.

When neighbors leave their vehicles running for 45 minutes or longer to "warm up" and leave the sterio cranked with rap playing. The bass line....

I am NOT all about the bass when it booms through my walls and wakes me up. Even with earplugs the vibration wakes me up. I'm going to toss water over their door handles so it freezes their doors shut on them...

A flat tire on my bicycle ever other fraggin day. I need to change my winter tires. that's what's doing it.

When someone talks like "but y cant i do that?" Or "0MG 1337 AW350M3yN355!!!111"

Or when someone is iffy on the function of the spacebar. OR when someone (My brother) bangs on my walls while I am trying to concentrate or sleep.

Edited by Chickenmaster123