Saif

Pet Peeves

Car Alarms.

The concept is good but unfortunately sometimes so much as a vibration will set these things off.

Acronyms. I always have difficult time figuring out what acronyms stand for.

Also, new acronyms being made that we don't actually need in the vocabulary list, such as YOLO (You only live once); we can use "Carpe diem". Idiots use YOLO.

People who eat meat, but think it magically appears in little styrofoam packages in stores.

If you eat meat or wear leather SOMETHING HAD TO DIE FOR IT!

It's the same thing as hunting or raising animals for food. Animal provides you nutrients you need to live. Be thankful. It's not magic, it's simple. We've gotten so far from our roots, the basics of living, as a culture lately it really ticks me off.

Do you guys live down the road from me?

Yup, same speed bump peeve!

It's awful now, they stop and create a glaze of ice to get over it, then more ice glaze up the hill from spinning their tires. Thanks people... Pretty soon anyone without four wheel drive will slide right down the hill.

I can't wait to move.

sad.gif Could anyone explain and reason out to me why stopping in front of speed bumps poses a problem? I normally would be happy. Is this in the perspective of a pedestrian or another vehicle driver or passenger?

I apoligise because I don't drive.

sad.gif Could anyone explain and reason out to me why stopping in front of speed bumps poses a problem? I normally would be happy. Is this in the perspective of a pedestrian or another vehicle driver or passenger?

Because speed bumps are supposed to make you slow down not stop.

From someone who just wants to drive herself to work in the mornings uneventfully:

Why not stop? Because you are only supposed to slow down. When a vehicle stops dead in the middle of the road for absolutely no reason, it can cause accidents, especially on ice.

And for my speed bump, there is a cross walk not even a whole block away back from the bump, and another not a block up from the bump, ergo there shouldn't BE pedestrians in the road by the bump. Also, it is my state's law that you yield to pedestrians in cross walks- not people walking here and there (jaywalking). I'm not saying anyone tries to hit them, but you don't have to stop and let them go if they are looking to cross away from a cross walk.

The borough put the speed bump on my road in a bad spot. They installed it partway up a small hill, still closer to the bottom of the hill. I live in interior Alaska, where the roads are very icy for a solid 7 months of the year, if not more. The borough is pretty bad about getting maintanence to dump gravel for traction on the road.

When people stop for the speed bump they also have to get their car going again to go over the speed bump. When you stop on ice, unless you pay attention and accellerate differently than on dry pavement, you will spin your tires and end up melting the ice and snow under them a little bit. This creates a glare effect that is super slippry- the friction polishes any bumps tires can grip out of the ice so it's just smooth like glass. This makes it harder and harder for each following vehicle's tires to grab and go.

It's not usually too much of an issue if you are in motion, but if you need to get your car moving from a stop it is bad. Eventually people, even with GOOD tires for ice, will pretty much be stuck unless they can take a running start at it or if the borough finds it in their little hearts to get the gravel truck out there. Otherwise you pretty much need something with four wheel drive, and even those things slip a lot.

It's worse over the speed bump, since when people stop they are going even slower than they should be to get over it- once they have crossed it they are on a hill. They accelerate to make it up the hill ANNNND spin their tires some more. *sigh*

Pretty soon I'll have to go the long way, since the hill will be neigh impossible to pass from all of the idiots polishing up the roadway.

The moral of this story, if you live somewhere that involves winter months, don't make it more difficult on others. Furthermore, a big part of learning to drive:

If it is not a law to stop somewhere, and there is nothing causing a hazard (animals, pedestrians, debris, etc. etc.) DO NOT stop in the middle of the roadway. If you need to stop, signal and pull off the road. Stopping needlessly causes accidents, or near misses. It also makes the person behind you very angry, since they might be worried about the person behind them not watching and rear ending their vehicle.

Why would you be happy people stop in the middle of the road without warning?

ETA:

Are you asking why a speed bump would effect pedestrians?

If so, they put in speed bumps to slow traffic down to make sure it stays more near the speed limit. In my neighborhood it is 20 MPH. The thinking is, people will take the bump at 20 or slower so they don't wreck their vehicle or hit their head on their roof. They made this bump obnoxious, so I hit my head (my car is small) unless I'm going about 10MPH. So far it hasn't made a difference in the main group of people who speed through the area. They all drive trucks or SUVs and FLY over that bump like it isn't even there.

I know the kids in the neighborhood like to use it as a skateboard jump and be in the way during the summer. Otherwise it doesn't effect pedestrians at all.

Edited by LupaWulf

On a traffic pet peeves note.

Grannies who jaywalk. Most of them who do that here usually end up either flipping you off when you honk them, knowing you can't do anything to them in return because they're "Senior Citizens", and some use the "Oh my eyesight isn't what it used to be sonny, I didn't see the red signal." Sure ma'am. And I'm sure you didn't see all the cars on the damn road either.

ohmy.gif I see! Thanks, LupaWulf. I don't live in a country where there is winter, so no ice and snow involved.

Whn ppl try 2 tlk 2 u like ths.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE LEARN ENGLISH.

This is one of my peeves as well. Unfortunately people who use it know english but are too lazy to bother spelling a whole word. That and they think it's "Cool"

How I deal with it: When people have access to a full keyboard and type messages to me (Happens in Minecraft a lot) I do not take the time to answer them unless they take the time to write it out.

It also happens in IRC but this text chat or whatever it is called seems to annoy the majority of users. Half the time I cannot understand it. And people who are not fluent in English may also have trouble. Foreign people are easier to understand with their broken english, than lazy texters and hey, I give them (the non english speaking folk) kudos for attempting to learn.

So your capsed line - which is also a pet peeve of mine, but not being targeted here probably should read: "Seriously people, stop being lazy when you have a full keyboard at your disposal."

So your capsed line - which is also a pet peeve of mine, but not being targeted here probably should read: "Seriously people, stop being lazy when you have a full keyboard at your disposal."

I saw something like this in a signature a few years ago:

If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll answer "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

My peeve:

Smart phones in traffic. Pedestrians playing on their electronic toys while walking, bikers playing on their electronic toys while riding, drivers playing on their electronic toys while driving ... If you need that thing to give you directions, then operate it while being parked! Otherwise, do not touch that stupid thing while you are participating in a potentially life-threatening activity (aka traffic)!

Whn ppl try 2 tlk 2 u like ths.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE LEARN ENGLISH.

Well, I hate txtspk 2 xd.png - BUT - it's not "learn English" - say instead "don't use txtspk". MANY here do extraordinarily well in English which is not their own language, and I am always impressed by that.

I just ignore posts lk ths.

ohmy.gif I see! Thanks, LupaWulf. I don't live in a country where there is winter, so no ice and snow involved.

No worries! There is a lot more to it than it seems, particularly if you have never experienced it. smile.gif

Smart phones in traffic. Pedestrians playing on their electronic toys while walking, bikers playing on their electronic toys while riding, drivers playing on their electronic toys while driving ... If you need that thing to give you directions, then operate it while being parked! Otherwise, do not touch that stupid thing while you are participating in a potentially life-threatening activity (aka traffic)!

That one too.

Car drivers using it is one thing. People on foot using it and are entirely oblivious to things around them. I have no idea how bike riders manage it. I have tried out of curiosity to utilise my phone while riding in a safe unpopulated area and it ends up, I can't focus on one without losing focus on the other. If I need to use my phone while riding, I pull over, stop. do my thing then carry on.

I do not do headphones either while on foot or bike because I have had to incidents where not having my hearing impeded saved me... and one incident was terrifyingly close to this day.

One thing that is just so rude:

When I go to fix something in someone's apartment, and they treat me like I don't exist. I'm not asking for a full conversation or anything. I don't really think it is appropriate to start a loud phone conversation with a friend about very personal health things when I obviously can't help but overhear the entire discussion. We are talking graphic discussion about lady parts here. blink.gif I'm female too, but it was some serious TMI.

If a call much be made right that moment, I'd be happy to leave and return later!!

I don't know if that is creepier or the people who hover really closely while I work. I'm always afraid I'll drop something on their head if I'm repairing a light or something that puts me overhead. When I'm plumbing, I'm nervous I'll spray them with something gross. Well, I guess it would be their fault then!

When people can neutering or spaying an animal "fixing" it. It is definitely the right and responsible thing to do as a pet owner, but I despise the term.

When people can neutering or spaying an animal "fixing" it. It is definitely the right and responsible thing to do as a pet owner, but I despise the term.

Why? I don't think it's meant to mean the animals before were "broken" or needed "mending" or even that they need improvement. Fix has a lot of means, one of them basically meaning "set" so it's more likely that it's called "fixing" because you've "fixed it to where they won't have offspring anymore".

It does kinda sound like it's implying that they were broken before, though.

It also may just be a completely unrelated term that simply stemmed from one of the many meanings of "fix" originally but now it literally just means neutering/castrating/spaying/gelding, that sort of thing.

When my cousin pounds his chest with one fist like a gorilla then yells "BEIBER BLAST"

As loud as he can when I am in public next to him and he knows I will hate it.

Also the 2 year olds who run away from their parents, resulting in a kid running down every isle 10 times followed by parents who come through knocking into anything in their way, including a stand holding 100 pickle jars...

When my sister sucks/slurps when she eats fruit.... It's disgusting. For that matter whenever she eats. She sounds like a pig

When people complain about the word "moist". mad.gif

People who assume that, because you have a certain name, you want to go by the most popular nickname. I know I'm not the only one who hates being called "Abby".

It's fine for other people to go by it, but please ask before you call me by something that isn't my name--especially when you notice no one else is calling me that.

People who complain about promiscuous women.

People who are constantly complaining about their parents. Once in a while is fine, but please do not bring it up in every single conversation.

People who use "whom" incorrectly. I'd much rather you used "who" all the time than keeping up the hit-and-miss schedule.

When a single thread on embroidery is loose or missing. It's not enough to complain about, usually, but it bothers me so much!

Edited by ab613