Saif

Pet Peeves

When people smack their lips while they eat.

When people talk really loudly.

When people grab my stuff without my permission.

When people block hallways because they can't chat somewhere else with lower traffic.

-holding the door for people and not getting a thank you back

-people sneezing at the buffet line like it's no big deal

-people that have no kind of tact

-people that are rude to me and others

...and etc.

• when somebody yawns and doesn´t cover his/her mouth
  • when somebody tries to remove my glasses without asking for permission first
  • I wasn´t a teenager in the 80´s
  • I am not living in a "Final Fantasy" world where I kill monsters & have adventures, I am stuck in this reality and have to work for the rest of my life and then I´ll just die
  • when things I like to eat disappear from Japanese supermarkets, it is a curse I am sure
  • food I like the most will make me fat & unhealthy so I cannot eat it the whole time
  • when religious people come to my house and try to save my soul
  • when my black cat becomes over-talkative ("Auuuuuaoooau") and expects me to do something and I have no idea what he´s talking about
  • noisy children
  • Kristen Stewart in Twilight. That acting. Her open mouth the whole time. Her gasps. Through the whole movie I was just staring at her mouth although I didn´t want to. (Watch "Bella's annoying breathing" on YT and you´ll see what I mean.)
  • when Japanese people tell me that "my Japanese is so good" when I just say "Good Day" => then I start real talk in Japanese and tell them that I've been living in Japan since 2007 and they look at me like if I was from outer space
  • when Japanese people talk about me and think I cannot understand Japanese => love their faces when I suddenly join the conversation about my favorite topic, me. rolleyes.gif

• when somebody yawns and doesn´t cover his/her mouth
  • when somebody tries to remove my glasses without asking for permission first
  • I wasn´t a teenager in the 80´s
  • I am not living in a "Final Fantasy" world where I kill monsters & have adventures, I am stuck in this reality and have to work for the rest of my life and then I´ll just die
  • when things I like to eat disappear from Japanese supermarkets, it is a curse I am sure
  • food I like the most will make me fat & unhealthy so I cannot eat it the whole time
  • when religious people come to my house and try to save my soul
  • when my black cat becomes over-talkative ("Auuuuuaoooau") and expects me to do something and I have no idea what he´s talking about
  • noisy children
  • Kristen Stewart in Twilight. That acting. Her open mouth the whole time. Her gasps. Through the whole movie I was just staring at her mouth although I didn´t want to. (Watch "Bella's annoying breathing" on YT and you´ll see what I mean.)
  • when Japanese people tell me that "my Japanese is so good" when I just say "Good Day" => then I start real talk in Japanese and tell them that I've been living in Japan since 2007 and they look at me like if I was from outer space
  • when Japanese people talk about me and think I cannot understand Japanese => love their faces when I suddenly join the conversation about my favorite topic, me. rolleyes.gif

I think sometimes they regret saying 上手、上手! so quickly when they realize you can actually communicate. It's well meaning, but it does get a little tiresome.

<_< When I'm late for one class. Only one session and it's because that day started out horrible. And I missed a quiz. Really now? I'm seldom late. And the worst part is when others frequently cut that class or those others who are frequently late happens to be there and got to take the quiz. I got the worst luck of Tyche. What's up with that?

Oh universe! What is wrong with you?!

I hate people who say that pit bull are dangerous. They are NOT dangerous. When will people wake up? Wiener dogs bite more often than bit bulls.

I think sometimes they regret saying 上手、上手! so quickly when they realize you can actually communicate. It's well meaning, but it does get a little tiresome.

To me it's not "little tiresome", it can get quite annoying after almost 7 years on a bad day, to the point where I also thought they do it to ridicule foreigners or they take "us" lightly and think we are simply too stupid for their language. "Well meaning" for telling me that my Japanese is good when I say two words? I am not sure about that, it's ridiculous, frankly said.

This let me realize that I forgot other things:

• when I am with a Japanese person anywhere and other Japanese people ask the Japanese person something about me in Japanese instead of asking me. Example: I went with my Japanese husband to our house when it was still in construction to see what they're doing. Later, one of the workers came to us when we were quiet (& we were talking in Japanese), looked at me then looked at my husband & asked him how long I've been in Japan.
  • when I talk in Japanese but Japanese people try to talk in crappy English and continue doing so although it would be easier for them and our conversation to switch to Japanese
  • when customers talk to me in English although it is quite obvious that I am working in a Japanese environment, or when they even have the guts to ask me if I can speak Japanese, d'oh! This is just a white woman playing around for your entertainment, I didn't go to a Japanese interview to get the job because something like this could never happen. Yeah right.
  • Japanese people asking funny questions. Like "can you eat rice?"
  • doctors in Japan. The only doctor which I ever liked was actually Chinese.
(Do not get me wrong, I know there is no perfect place in this world and Japan is a good place to live, but there are things which make me ask myself how on earth I could decide to become a permanent resident here. I hope my future children will have no problems.) Edited by Mondat

To me it's not "little tiresome", it can get quite annoying after almost 7 years on a bad day, to the point where I also thought they do it to ridicule foreigners or they take "us" lightly and think we are simply too stupid for their language. "Well meaning" for telling me that my Japanese is good when I say two words? I am not sure about that, it's ridiculous, frankly said.

This let me realize that I forgot other things:

• when I am with a Japanese person anywhere and other Japanese people ask the Japanese person something about me in Japanese instead of asking me. Example: I went with my Japanese husband to our house when it was still in construction to see what they're doing. Later, one of the workers came to us when we were quiet (& we were talking in Japanese), looked at me then looked at my husband & asked him how long I've been in Japan.
  • when I talk in Japanese but Japanese people try to talk in crappy English and continue doing so although it would be easier for them and our conversation to switch to Japanese
  • when customers talk to me in English although it is quite obvious that I am working in a Japanese environment, or when they even have the guts to ask me if I can speak Japanese, d'oh! This is just a white woman playing around for your entertainment, I didn't go to a Japanese interview to get the job because something like this could never happen. Yeah right.
  • Japanese people asking funny questions. Like "can you eat rice?"
  • doctors in Japan. The only doctor which I ever liked was actually Chinese.
(Do not get me wrong, I know there is no perfect place in this world and Japan is a good place to live, but there are things which make me ask myself how on earth I could decide to become a permanent resident here. I hope my future children will have no problems.)

I think it's well meaning because I think at it's core they want to be encouraging, but I don't think they realize it comes off. Of course there's also a bit of the Nihonjinron sort of believe that Japanese is impossible for foreigners to learn. I know a guy who's coworkers only send him work emails in kana, despite being proficient enough to read and it making everyone's lives harder to have to read that.

I hate being told the same things I know multiple times

This. Yes! biggrin.gif Someone understands!

I know a guy who's coworkers only send him work emails in kana, despite being proficient enough to read and it making everyone's lives harder to have to read that.

Wow, that co-worker is a censorkip.gif. I hope your friend/the guy you know doesn´t experience mobbing at work.

When I'm sorting my dragons and then when I'm about to save the sorts, the site is down for maintenance. sad.gif Well, that's just bad.

The 'Ohai' thing and other crap like that I see on every forum I'm on. >_< *twitch* Can't people just speak plain freaking english? When I see that kind of 'talk' those posters automatically become immature little kids in my mind.

Edited by MedievalMystic

My main pet peeve is when people use bad grammar or misspell words. I'm not perfect myself, but it bugs me when I see people breaking grammar rules that I know were taught in school at some point in time.

Other than that, one of my only other pet peeves is nails on a chalkboard or on any other rough surface, or rubbing my hands over a rough surface. I can't even rub my hands together without cringing.

Educators and official spokespeople mispronouncing everyday words and being ignored.

Oh yeah, telemarketers who don't speak or really understand the language they are selling in. They always mispronounce my name.

When people keep on using the word '****'. Especially times when they don't have anything to say.

The 'Ohai' thing and other crap like that I see on every forum I'm on.  >_<  *twitch*  Can't people just speak plain freaking english?  When I see that kind of 'talk' those posters automatically become immature little kids in my mind.

When I use it, I use slang and text speak intentionally, when I want to add a certain tone to one of my posts.

Anyway, actual pet peeve - when a coworker tells you to not only redo everything that the bratty dentistry students did in class so that their results would look better in their protocols, but also do it in the correct order, with verification steps between everything and in a time frame where it's physically impossible to do it correctly (as it should if this were actual research, but this is a little choice subject practical class, where students work with and analyze their own DNA) AND then proceeds to patronize me about how it's perfectly possible to do everything correctly and on time.

Yes, because chemicals don't need any melting time.

Yes, because it takes no time at all to make and distribute fluids for 25 test samples, and 3 different tasks. Go censorkip.gif yourself, I hate you today. This is exactly the reason why I'm quitting this job in a month, I'm tired of being engaged into tasks whose results noone will appreciate anyway and for a censorkip.gif pay for a job that requires having my Master degree in molecular biology.

Edited by lightbird

When I use it, I use slang and text speak intentionally, when I want to add a certain tone to one of my posts.

I hope you don't think I was signaling you or anyone else out, Lightbird. I was speaking in general.

Another Peeve:

Our oldest cat needs specialized food for the rest of his life that I can only get at the vet at $35 a bag. The expense...I mean, really?...is a peeve, but it's also the fact that our other two cats have developed a liking for it and want to eat it all themselves. They have their own dry food, which they love and devour, plus they get a can in the morning and one at night, but no, that's not good enough. If they can eat the older cat's food, they'll inhale that as well. And God forbid I leave a stick of butter out on the counter to soften if I'm baking while they're in the house. They'll inhale the whole stick and anything else they can get their grubby paws on that's food related. I left a bowl of soup to cool on the counter then went to the bathroom. By the time I got out, one of the younger cats was already slurping away at it. mad.gif It's ridiculous how much these cats will eat. I've never seen two such bottomless pits. dry.gif

I hope you don't think I was signaling you or anyone else out, Lightbird. I was speaking in general.

Nah, I go that.

It IS annoying when people write like this in a manner that makes you wonder if they're capable of writing normal English.

A girl in my class I hate that censorkip.gif.Sometimes I feels like killing her.

1. Shippers who bash other ships...and are totally not ashamed of it or sorry for it whatsoever. Actually, I'm mostly talking about Canon fans who disregard other ships just because what they ship is canon. Everyone has their own opinion, just because your pairing is the 'true love' pairing doesn't mean we can't interpret the text differently. After all, everyone has their own idea of what love really is.

2.People who have horrible punctuation. If it's a really hard word that I understand, because I'm guilty of that myself, but seriously guys, you should know the difference between their and they're! mad.gif

3. Sexist comments. Especially the 'your mom' joke, it's not funny at all and I hate it when men regard women as if they are beings that are not worthy. Here's from Madonna's lyrics:

girls can wear jeans

And cut their hair short

Wear shirts and boots

'Cause it's OK to be a boy

But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading

'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading

4. People who are mean to others for no particular reason. This. Just this. Like c'mon, they didn't steal your boyfriend, or kill your family, so why the hate? Jealousy I understand(not that I am tolerant of that), but I don't understand why somebody will pick on someone else just because that someone else is weaker/nerdier whatsoever.

5. People who don't do their share of the work. You tell me you don't have time? Well excuse me, it's not like I have time either, but I still stayed up late at night just to do work. I'm pretty irresponsible when I'm working alone, but I'd never fail my group.