Saif

Pet Peeves

When people say I'm going to do something, just to get me to come to an event I don't want to anyways, then I have to come!

I'm sure this has been said many times.

BAD GRAMMAR. Everyone makes mistakes, and I know I'm a lazy typer half the time, but at least I know that "alot" isn't a word, haha.

One of the most annoying grammar issues that I see is "if you have questions, feel free to contact Jim or myself after the meeting." "Jim or myself"? How do you not see the disaster? sleep.gif

Though it's weird, this is one of the most confusing points of English grammar for a lot of people, because you shouldn't say "Jim or I" in this situation either.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Though it's weird, this is one of the most confusing points of English grammar for a lot of people, because you shouldn't say "Jim or I" in this situation either.

I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be "Jim or me".

Yeah, it's Jim or me.

You say exactly the conjugation you'd say without Jim in the sentence. "Email your questions to me" rather than "email your questions to myself."

Yeah, it's Jim or me.

You say exactly the conjugation you'd say without Jim in the sentence. "Email your questions to me" rather than "email your questions to myself."

But as children, most of us were drilled into thinking that you would never saying something like "Jim and me" and it's always "Jim and I." And so when something like "email your questions to Jim or I" sounds unnatural, people tend to use myself instead, because we were drilled so heavily into thinking that me is never correct.

But as children, most of us were drilled into thinking that you would never saying something like "Jim and me" and it's always "Jim and I." And so when something like "email your questions to Jim or I" sounds unnatural, people tend to use myself instead, because we were drilled so heavily into thinking that me is never correct.

I'm not sure why your teachers drilled that into you, haha. That was not the case for me. I was taught to say "Jim and I" at the beginning of a sentence, or anytime you would normally say "I."

Give that to me = Give that to Jim and me

I went to the park = Jim and I went to the park

Ask me a question = Ask Jim and me a question

But I see why so many people get it wrong. I just wish they didn't. :b

I'm not sure why your teachers drilled that into you, haha. That was not the case for me. I was taught to say "Jim and I" at the beginning of a sentence, or anytime you would normally say "I."

Give that to me = Give that to Jim and me

I went to the park = Jim and I went to the park

Ask me a question = Ask Jim and me a question

But I see why so many people get it wrong. I just wish they didn't. :b

You're right, but I'm less tolerant than you. laugh.gif

I simply don't see why people get it wrong, when it's so easy to test, like you just did with your sentences.

It's like with 'a lot'. No-one would ever make 'a little' into one word (alittle), but they do it with 'a lot' all the time.

Don't they think?

I simply don't see why people get it wrong, when it's so easy to test, like you just did with your sentences.

It's like with 'a lot'. No-one would ever make 'a little' into one word (alittle), but they do it with 'a lot' all the time.

Don't they think?

Hahaaa, yep, I had "alot" as an example up there. Ridiculous. sleep.gif

Also when people say "supposably." Not a word, guys. And "use to" instead of used to.

I swear on whatever gods are out there, if the weather had a face I'd be punching it right now.

ENOUGH. WITH. THE. RAIN.

EN.

OU.

GH.

It's been four days now, holy mother of Jesus Platypus Christ on a unicycle. I have stuff to do but I can't go out the door because there is WEATHER everywhere. The air pressure gives me headaches and it's cold and please just stop.

Edited by Ruins

Don't they think?

People tend to get their, they're and there wrong all the time too. dry.gif And your + you're.

I keep seeing this a lot on Facebook, together with u and plz.

Does NOT want to make me press 'like'. dry.gif

People tend to get their, they're and there wrong all the time too. dry.gif And your + you're.

I keep seeing this a lot on Facebook, together with u and plz.

Does NOT want to make me press 'like'. dry.gif

Also then/than.

It irks me every time I see it, and when I make the mistake myself, I want to slap me upside my head. xd.png

Also then/than.

It irks me every time I see it, and when I make the mistake myself, I want to slap me upside my head. xd.png

Guess why I didn't mention those. xd.png

Edit due to grammar error. Oops! >.<

Edited by CatCreature

I'm sure this has been said many times.

BAD GRAMMAR. Everyone makes mistakes, and I know I'm a lazy typer half the time, but at least I know that "alot" isn't a word, haha.

One of the most annoying grammar issues that I see is "if you have questions, feel free to contact Jim or myself after the meeting." "Jim or myself"? How do you not see the disaster? sleep.gif

That example annoys the heck out of me, along with other me/I/myself things. But especially when I'm right, and someone "corrects" me. dry.gif

Oh, I have another.

Some of you might RP and hear this. When people use the term "muse" like it's some kind of gauge or meter. o_o JUST DON'T. "I don't have much muse right now" is not a correct usage of that term?? A muse is a specific thing that inspires you. Your muse could be your dog. Your muse could be your lover. But a muse can't "run dry" like a lot of people say, haha.

Oh, I have another.

Some of you might RP and hear this. When people use the term "muse" like it's some kind of gauge or meter. o_o JUST DON'T. "I don't have much muse right now" is not a correct usage of that term?? A muse is a specific thing that inspires you. Your muse could be your dog. Your muse could be your lover. But a muse can't "run dry" like a lot of people say, haha.

i find that subjective. muse can be anything the chooser chooses, just like it could be a thing you may lose. you lose your dog, you lose your muse???

----

people who rag on people who don't use capitals. you can read the sentence, so why are you nitpicking me? it's the internet, if it was the GRAMMAR, then i would be annoyed.

but once you know the rules, you can break them.

i find that subjective. muse can be anything the chooser chooses, just like it could be a thing you may lose. you lose your dog, you lose your muse???

----

people who rag on people who don't use capitals. you can read the sentence, so why are you nitpicking me? it's the internet, if it was the GRAMMAR, then i would be annoyed.

but once you know the rules, you can break them.

The reason I am annoyed by lack of caps is that in my head is that I "hear" people talking in a lazy, half-awake sort of tone if they don't type properly. To me, it implies that the typist just doesn't care, though that may not be the case. If your shift button is broken, though, that's different.

Edited by Spelunker

The reason I am annoyed by lack of caps is that in my head is that I "hear" people talking in a lazy, half-awake sort of tone if they don't type properly. To me, it implies that the typist just doesn't care, though that may not be the case. If your shift button is broken, though, that's different.

so it makes you lazy if you don't type in caps?? but if the shift key is broken, it's 'different'? you won't know i made the choice to not use caps if you look at my posts, far enough back. you'll assume my shift key broke.

Did your key break?

No, it doesn't "make you lazy", but to me, in my head, it sounds that way. It's just how I read things online.

Bad Grammar- to an extent.

In some cases I can see why you wouldn't take the time to make sure your sentence is absolutely perfect. In Minecraft, I sometimes use shortcuts such as "BRB" or "LOL", and I rarely put periods at the end of the sentence because I honestly don't have the time to make sure everything looks perfect (Granted, the period thing is probably because half my responses end in emoticons tongue.gif). The game is happening NOW. I have to get the reply out as soon as possible so I don't leave people waiting on me. But here in the forums, I can take as much time as I please with this post because the events of the game don't rely on it. Nobody is depending on my reply for the game to continue further or for a decision to be made.

Some things I can't stand at all though, like "i" for "I" and "u" for "you". Is it SO hard to hold down the shift key for half a second? =_=

Edited by Dracoscar

Sure, you can lose your muse if that person or thing leaves you. But that doesn't make it a unit of measurement like some people use it. What I'm saying is that it's not interchangeable with the word "inspiration" at all times. You can say that you're out of inspiration, because inspiration is an abstract noun. A muse is something concrete, and therefore can't correctly be used in the same way.

Edited by kraine

so it makes you lazy if you don't type in caps?? but if the shift key is broken, it's 'different'? you won't know i made the choice to not use caps if you look at my posts, far enough back. you'll assume my shift key broke.

It's different because you don't have a choice if the key is broken.

But I also take posts with poor capitalization, punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc., as lazy, and I take posts written that way less seriously. Especially so in the debate threads.

It's different because you don't have a choice if the key is broken.

But I also take posts with poor capitalization, punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc., as lazy, and I take posts written that way less seriously. Especially so in the debate threads.

Me too.

If a person can't be bothered at least trying, I can't be bothered taking them seriously. *shrug*

There are exceptions, like the ever amusing anger-spelling, where someone is debating so furiously that they typo all over the place.xd.png

Those people who talk for the sake of talking, even if it means talking about things they know nothing about.

My BIL is this way. One of my parrots is molting, and he asked why she looked so scruffy and if she was losing her feathers from stress. I was like "uhhh noo, she's just molting right now" And he actually argued with me that birds only lose feathers from stress, they don't do it routinely by molting.

1. He has never owned a bird before in his life

2. I am the only person he knows that owns birds.

The fact that he claims birds don't regularly molt can attest to just how little he knows about birds. I was so frustrated to have him argue with me when it was so obvious he had no experience with birds and didn't know anything about them when I've owned them for 15 years.

And another time he argued with me that my dog food DID contain by-products.

1. He has never owned a dog and knows very, very little about available dog food brands and their ingredients.

2. He didn't know what type of dog food my dog was on when he was claiming it had by-products, so he basically just assumed they all did when there are many high-end brands that don't.

3. After I told him what type of dog food my dog was on, he said he had never heard of it, but still insisted it had byproducts. It doesn't.

Ugh, what is wrong with him.