Saif

Pet Peeves

"I could care less"

*bangs head on desk* Do the people using that phrase have any idea how gramatically incorrect it is? Seriously. It's a total corruption of "I couldn't care less" which makes faaaaaaar more sense.

Tell me about it.

; )

When people in grocery stores put things on the wrong shelves. I mean, I understand if you decide not to buy something, but putting it randomly on a shelf is just frustrating for us who work there. When our manager is pushing us to hurry up, it's really annoying to run across the store to put something in its proper place. If you don't want something, give it to the cashier! They'll set it aside! So much easier for us employees!

It's the worst when something frozen gets put on a non-frozen shelf, or vice versa, and we have to throw it out. dry.gif

People who talk in... I don't know, literalities: phrases that are literal, "wake up" or "sit down and shut up", but are supposed to mean something other than what they actually mean- what the words mean, that is. They really annoy me, mainly because I'm autistic so I take words at face value most of the time. I know they're making some sort of figurative point, but I end up thinking "I am awake! My eyes are open! I am sitting down and not speaking! I couldn't use the laptop properly otherwise." Being told to sit down and shut up just makes me want to stand up and yell, even if they're thousands of miles away and it's just text.

Related to that, people who assume that you're doing as you read something, like "Don't roll your eyes" or "Don't shake your head". I can't really express why that annoys me, but it does.

People touching/kicking/tapping the chair I'm sitting in, or vibrating their leg while we're sitting at a mutual table, in a way that it vibrates the entire table. I don't know why but someone causing vibrations on the furniture I'm using makes me absolutely nuts.

Also babies crying, or the kind of child crying that is more like shrieking or howling, that really high-pitched, open-throated SHRIEEAAEEEEEEEE. It is really hard to describe the depth of actual rage that rises in me, it's like an automatic reaction, I just want to smash ANYTHING until THE NOISE STOPS. You could probably literally drive me out of my mind with that noise. I would probably rather break my own eardrums than listen to that for several hours.

Also makes me very angry when women or girls say something like "Oh I can't lift that, I'm a girl" when they didn't even TRY to lift/do it, they just want a man to do it for them. YOU ARE A WOMAN, NOT A FETUS. YOU HAVE MUSCLES.

I understand them asking for help if it's really too heavy/etc. for their strength or their weight, but standing there going "someone use the power saw for me, I'm a girl" makes me seriously, seriously irritated.

This is a real life example, I was making painting-stretcher frames in the woodshop back in university and some female classmates literally stood there and said "Hey, do you wanna give me a hand here, you realize we're girls right?" I just stared at them and was like "uh, no."

Interesting there, Moeru. A bit misogynistic but I understand. I'm the opposite.

I hate when guys assume because I have tatas and a vajayjay, I can't do ANYTHING, much less anything RIGHT.

I was the only girl and number 4 out of 5 in our family. My brothers and father were so chauvinistic, it seems I spent my entire childhood trying to prove myself. Didn't help that my IQ and reading/language skills were so much higher than theirs, but I used it to my advantage. It was really my only weapon. I was excluded, picked on, and they tried so hard to keep me at heel. Wasn't gonna happen.

Even today, we are all over 40, and still they think I'm less than they, because of the difference in genitalia. Stupid gits. I don't tend to trust guys too much.

Edited by Riverwillows

People who judge everyone and make loud comments in public behind people's backs and label anyone who is different than them as 'stupid'. :|

Like ' Look at that guy wearing a coat and boots in this heat! He's must be soooo stupid!'

It annoys me when I hear it, even when I'm not targeted. :/

1. People who assume that as I have one belief, I automatically have others.

"Ooh you're prochoice? Don't you see how awful it is for this women who died because she wasn't allowed to have an abortion despite numerous health conditions such cruelty how can you condone this?"

"Atheist huh? You must hate religious people."

"You don't eat meat? You must be crazy sheep die if they you don't shave their wool it doesn't harm them plus you're wearing a woolen jumper you hypocrite!"

2. People who randomly pretend you have a crush on somebody when you don't, and then accuse you of being in denial when you say no. Then go on about it for the next two years, in front of said person.

"Omg he like looked at you and asked you to borrow a pencil OMG LOVE"

"Heyyyy Person X, Emeraldmay was just telling me how much she liked you...."

"Thin line between love and hate, you don't need to hide your emotions from me."

3. People who I don't know who tell me their sad life story. Conversations go like:

Them: Heeyyy haven't seen you in ages how are you? smile.gif

Me: Hey biggrin.gif Long time no see sleepy but good you?

Them: MY BOYFRIENDJUSTBROKEUPWITHMEMYHOUSEHASFLOODEDMYDOGSTOYHASGOTLOSTIHAVEANEXAMTOMORROWOMGLIFEISSOBAD.

Me: Aww sad.gif

Them: Ikr. So, are you still with Person X?

Me: We broke up 5 years ago.

-.- If you're going to moan to me, at least have a real reason. Not just looking for drama.

Another thing I find terrible, is that people assume if you are very overweight, you must be stuffing your face with cake all day.

I am diabetic. I also have several other issues. I am very overweight, grossly so, and cannot walk well.

I am on a strict diet, lots of veggies and salads, or meats, and hardly ever eat sugar or carbs. I can't exercise well due to my disability, and add that to the fact that one of my "issues" causes weight gain.

I'm tired of going out to eat or dinner at a family gathering, or even "friends", and having every bite or food choice I make analyzed or watched.

I've even had someone prepare a "special menu" just for me...usually what THEY think I ought to be eating. I'm expected to eat this disgusting veggie thing, while everyone else eats steak. Which I can have.

I am NOT heavy due to food. My medical issues, my meds, all contribute to my weight, as the fact that my legs also don't work right due to another medical issue.

Oh, and yes, I've tried and tried to explain, and I just get blank or "knowing" looks. And it's all ignored anyway. Or someone has "looked up" diabetes, and is suddenly more of an expert on it than me, who has lived with it for years.

Guys, when you see a very overweight person, riding a scooter or in a chair, don't assume it's cause they are hooked on twinkies ok? There are lots of medical issues and meds out there, that do this to people. Unless you see bits of Moon Pies in their hair, don't assume anything, ok?

That person just might be ME!!

The phrase "snapped up."

It just makes me angry. It implies aggressively and greedily grabbing something you want and not even taking the time to appreciate it. Like a fat pug horking down a dog treat flinging drool everywhere and half-choking on it because it acted on its baser instincts and didn't think first. tongue.gif

So yeah, next time someone says "Man, I snapped that up so fast..." you know what I'm thinking of as I read that phrase. Fat, greedy, drool-flinging, half-choking pug. Don't be a pug.

The phrase "snapped up."

It just makes me angry. It implies aggressively and greedily grabbing something you want and not even taking the time to appreciate it. Like a fat pug horking down a dog treat flinging drool everywhere and half-choking on it because it acted on its baser instincts and didn't think first. tongue.gif

So yeah, next time someone says "Man, I snapped that up so fast..." you know what I'm thinking of as I read that phrase. Fat, greedy, drool-flinging, half-choking pug. Don't be a pug.

...That's pretty much what it's supposed to imply, though.

Found another- dirty fingernails.

Moeru- agreed, but not on that...extreme of a level.

People who don't know when to clap at an orchestra concert/recital.

Orchestra 101: DON'T CLAP UNTIL THE CONDUCTOR PUTS DOWN THE BATON AND YOU'LL BE OK. Clap between the movements and I REALLY, REALLY want to strangle you.

@Riverwillows- I'll try not to use textspeak and I am trying not to make assumptions. One less person in the world. :3

The phrase "snapped up."

Fat, greedy, drool-flinging, half-choking pug.

Well, all I've got to say to that is , because I tend to use that phrase, the next time I see a Gold egg in the cave, I'm going to snap that sucker up like the fat, greedy, drool flinging half choking, slavering, snarling pug that I am. smile.gif

Idiots and morons behind the wheel. dry.gif

Coming home the other day, my light turns green, and I start to make a left turn. For some reason, I slammed on the brakes without knowing exactly why. About one and a half seconds later, here comes this white car from the right blowing through a red light and the intersection, going about 45 mph at least. It was weird because I was looking to my left, making a left turn. I have no memory whatsoever of seeing that white car until it blew right by in front of me. Had I not stopped exactly when I did, there is no doubt in my mind that the white car would have slammed into the side of my car, into the passenger side where my oldest son was sitting, and there is also no doubt in my mind that had that happened, either that driver, my son, or both, would have been seriously injured or killed. I was so shaken and scared...and enraged...it was unreal. I wanted to follow that idiot...no idea if it was a male or female driver, they zipped by too fast, and rip them a 100 new ones. Only my son telling me to chill prevented that. I was seeing red. All I could think about was how close that really was, and that damn car slamming into mine at that rate of speed and what that could have done....and for what? The dumbass turned into the mall. Yeah, boy, that's worth running red lights for. Gotta get to that sale 5 minutes sooner than everyone else! mad.gif I couldn't stop twitching and shaking...and cussing. That collision was avoided by a freaking hair and it scared the bejeezus out of me, thinking my kid could have been hurt or God forbid, killed. It took me until the next day to finally get over the heebie jeebies. I don't make a habit of getting in people's faces, but I would have made an exception here, gladly.

The last 3 accidents I've been in, the last one years ago, people have slammed into me. I haven't been in an accident that was my fault since I was 17.

I hate getting out in the world sometimes, knowing some fool's stupidity can cost me and mine our lives.

Edited by MedievalMystic

And you have reminded me of my own driving pet peeve. Those who pull up too far when turning left. I have a small car, when I am turning right, I cannot see over the front of your truck/SUV to see the oncoming traffic. That leaves me two choices, TRY to edge up as far as I can to MAYBE see around you, or wait until you get the opportunity to leave.

Idiots and morons behind the wheel.   dry.gif

Coming home the other day, my light turns green, and I start to make a left turn.  For some reason, I slammed on the brakes without knowing exactly why.  About one and a half seconds later, here comes this white car from the right blowing through a red light and the intersection, going about 45 mph at least.  It was weird because I was looking to my left, making a left turn.  I have no memory whatsoever of seeing that white car until it blew right by in front of me.  Had I not stopped exactly when I did, there is no doubt in my mind that the white car would have slammed into the side of my car, into the passenger side where my oldest son was sitting, and there is also no doubt in my mind that had that happened, either that driver, my son, or both, would have been seriously injured or killed.   I was so shaken and scared...and enraged...it was unreal.  I wanted to follow that idiot...no idea if it was a male or female driver, they zipped by too fast, and rip them a 100 new ones.  Only my son telling me to chill prevented that.  I was seeing red.  All I could think about was how close that really was, and that damn car slamming into mine at that rate of speed and what that could have done....and for what?  The dumbass turned into the mall.   Yeah, boy, that's worth running red lights for.  Gotta get to that sale 5 minutes sooner than everyone else!   mad.gif   I couldn't stop twitching and shaking...and cussing.  That collision was avoided by a freaking hair and it scared the bejeezus out of me, thinking my kid could have been hurt or God forbid, killed.  It took me until the next day to finally get over the heebie jeebies.   I don't make a habit of getting in people's faces, but I would have made an exception here, gladly. 

The last 3 accidents I've been in, the last one years ago, people have slammed into me.  I haven't been in an accident that was my fault since I was 17. 

I hate getting out in the world sometimes, knowing some fool's stupidity can cost me and mine our lives.

Oh this.

Thrice we've nearly had accidents, and only since we got our Kia. I'm assuming that people just don't like large cars required to carry two parents and three autistic teens >_>

So we've had this new car since mid last year. The anniversary of our first incident with the Kia Carnival is approaching, May 12th. We were headed up an 80kh highway and had to turn around after missing our exit. So we had a huge gap between an oncoming ute, plus a completely clear lane next to us. So dad pulls in, kicks the speed up to 80, and moments later the ute's driver tears past us blaring his horn. So yeah, despite having a clear lane, he wasn't pleased with us pulling in. So displeased in fact, he pulled in in front of us and slammed on the brakes. Dad braked and swerved to the left, going onto the gravel and narrowly avoided a streetlight pole. If that had been our Magna, the lack of good breaks and airbags could well have spelled death for at least those in the front. Best part? Despite having a witness to back us up, the police seem to have forgotten about the situation. >_>

Then we had someone cut us off in a fast merging lane just a few weeks afterwards.

And just yesterday someone used the wrong indicator and nearly hit us on a roundabout.

So, pet peeves related to this are: People who drive when they clearly shouldn't, and people who think that every large vehicle is there just to hog the road and not think that it might be for a freaking reason >_>'

Edit: Large cars required to carry two parents, three autistic teens and the world's silliest dog.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

When idiots at school stand in the hallway looking in their lockers or chatting and you cant get through them

And asian drivers

Edited by Condorflight

More pet peeves of mine: when people constantly go on and on about me being what they call "super smart" or "super skinny" or whatever. It makes me uncomfortable and when I tell them, they just insist that it's the truth. Please. Shut up. dry.gif

Hmm pet peeves, as with the driving ones above I've got a few relating to them.

Drivers who ignore the pedestrian crossings and speed through them without a care in the world. I now wait for a driver to stop before I cross because too many times have I almost been hit by the people who think they're above the law. dry.gif

Drivers who can't be bothered using indicators, or those who turn them on only when they're halfway through the turn they indicated for. Seriously, if you don't get yourself killed doing that, you'll end up killing other people.

I had to do all sorts of tests and needed the approval of a doctor before being granted my learners permit, yet halfwits manage to get their license without so much as a hiccup. mad.gif

I had to do all sorts of tests and needed the approval of a doctor before being granted my learners permit, yet halfwits manage to get their license without so much as a hiccup. mad.gif

I think they have since removed this, but at one point in time, you did not HAVE to take a driving test to get a license. All you needed was a note from your driving instructor saying that you could drive. I was one such, though if it gives you any comfort, I have been driving for years and never caused an accident, or even gotten a speeding ticket.

More pet peeves of mine: when people constantly go on and on about me being what they call "super smart" or "super skinny" or whatever. It makes me uncomfortable and when I tell them, they just insist that it's the truth. Please. Shut up. dry.gif

Ok, Dimar. You are dumb and ugly. hehe. That make you feel better???

LOL...luv ya!! tongue.gif

I get this too, not the super skinny, but the super smart. One person insists I am taking "brain steroids", he is joking around, but still. It gets annoying when everyone keeps mentioning it, multiple times a day. Also doesn't help that they would celebrate it they beat me...

Another pet peeve is when you lend somebody some equipment, and then when you ask for it back they have either lost it, started biting it (I don't want your saliva and your germs, please dry.gif You then wonder why I don't want it), or loan it to somebody else (who does that? If you would have asked then I would have said yes to that other person) who then had bit it to add insult to injury. I only lend my stuff to people I know now, don't want to risk it.

I wish someone would say the same thing about me... The 'super smart' thing. -.- I so envy you, lol.

In school everyone said/assumed I'm very dumb... rolleyes.gif Guess I was, though.

Edited by earthgirl

Common grammatical issues drive me crazy. Loose/lose, discreet/discrete, to/too/two, its/it's, your/you're -- seeing mistakes like this makes me wince.

My mother decided yesterday that she's visiting me for Mother's Day. Okay, sure, I started to look forward to it.

But she wants to come up tonight, and she keeps calling to ask me questions about travel arrangements, and then saying she can't talk now because she's driving. First this morning on her way to work, and now for the last two hours after she got off work.

JUST TELL ME WHAT TRAIN YOU'RE TAKING AND I'LL PICK YOU UP!

I LOOKED UP THE TIMES FOR YOU, JUST PICK ONE, I DON'T CARE WHICH AS LONG AS I KNOW WHICH ONE IT IS!

I'm just so frustrated now, I don't know what to do, but I certainly am NOT looking forward to this weekend at this point.

If she can't come up with something this simple, especially when my Dad and I BOTH told her the 4:40pm was the best (it's 3:32pm right now, btw, and I don't think she's packed yet)... I'm already stressed out beyond my limits and I don't even know when she's ARRIVING!

MAKE A DECISION!

I know it's Mother's Day Weekend and all, I'm trying to be good, but this is ridiculous!

I forgot how it's like dealing with her. She hates deciding things. She's always eager to tell me what I should do, and she wants me to tell her what she should do. And it drives me nuts.

Edited by SolarCat

I think they have since removed this, but at one point in time, you did not HAVE to take a driving test to get a license.  All you needed was a note from your driving instructor saying that you could drive.  I was one such, though if it gives you any comfort, I have been driving for years and never caused an accident, or even gotten a speeding ticket.

To get her license my Nanna only had to get the approval of the town policeman, this was a good fifty years ago though. It's good to know that despite all the crazy drivers on the road, there are still decent drivers. They seem far and few between the crazy drivers, but they are there and I guess that counts. smile.gif

I was mainly referring to younger drivers, as that is the age group I'm in myself. All it takes in the state/country I live in is to pass a 30 question theory test with no more than 2 wrong for general questions and 1 wrong for giving way questions. I had to pass an OT driving assessment (this test included an on road test as well as a hazard perception theory test) on top of the theory test, before being permitted to drive. I had to have my license to get the OT driving assessment, however to do my theory I needed to pass the OT driving assessment, so it was two years of wanting to strangle both the Department of Transport and my OT before one lady messed up and allowed me to do the theory. All this because I had a pre-exisitng medical condition that few people had heard of therefore I was too much of a risk to be allowed on the road without in-depth testing. Because of all the stuffing around I'm too scared to drive on roads, so I stick to carparks. I got pulled up by the police on my first learning session in a carpark, granted it was midnight and I was driving slow. I haven't driven since, despite being given the all clear. sad.gif

Another pet peeve;

People who don't listen to warnings in regards to how they move around when we are handling our snakes.

We take our snakes out to be handled nearly every day, and we've told the other household members time after time to walk slowly when in the same room as the snakes, because they will bite if startled. Of course, one person still doesn't listen and my mother got bitten by our most docile snake, because he was startled (and not by my mother, she knows how to handle him). This was the only snake of the three we have, that she would consider holding because he's only ever bitten twice before. dry.gif