Saif

Pet Peeves

Lately, I got another one:

Annoying, bratty and/or bigoted and disgusting people in fandoms who give all of us sensible folk a bad name- like the fact that all bronies are seen as paedophiles, basement-dwellers and cloppers because of a noisy minority. I'm a brony and none of that, but do people care? Mostly, no. I've hesitating to get into Homestuck not only because of it's utter vastness because of the small but utterly vile group of Homestucks I've met over the 'net, ones who seem to be taking the name 'troll' to heart and then some. You know the type. >~>

Dude get out of the Homestuck fandom and don't look back, they're terrifying. The story is great, but the fandom can go from the most amazing saints ever to the people of nightmares, and the prissy "Social Justice Sallies" that will call a kiss sexual assault from both ends.

@Spelunker: I'm just saying, sometimes you don't know the whole story, so don't be so quick to assume it's just laziness; at least for me, I have trouble paying attention if I either get lost, or already know the material. smile.gif

Something that really is upsetting me is when my mother compares me to my sister or brother(s). Maybe it's just the middle sister competitiveness to get some attention in me, but whenever I'm talking about something, about something that concerns me, or something I'm proud of, my mother will always mention my sister and it seems like she's just minimalizing my achievements and emotions in lieu of my sister's, when she's not even there during these conversations!

Ex: Me: I'm so happy with how I'm doing in singing lessons! Miss [Teacher] says I've almost finished the song already!

Mother: Your sister is doing really well in her voice lessons, she just finished her song last week.

For the record, my sister is two years older, and singing is the one thing I try to tell myself I'm better at. (We're pretty much even, but I outgrew my old teacher, which is my sister's teacher only now, and I'm noticing things about her singing that I used to do, so I guess that means I'm improving. She probably can pick out the same things.) I have a really low self esteem, and after voice lessons, I'm usually really enthusiastic and peppy, no matter what sort of song I sang. She isn't as excited, and only started lessons after she noticed my voice was getting so much better.

Also, I just was diagnosed with ADHD, and my mother keeps going on about how she can't see it in me, only my sister and my brothers, and when I told her how my sister thinks I might be an aspie, and I think I might be, and we still are waiting for results, she again, goes on about my sister and my brother having the traits, not me. My mother doesn't seem to understand a lot of how I'm feeling though, such as when the psychiatrist was asking us questions, our answer varied a lot, because my mom just, never noticed these things. "Oh well if it was your sister your brother I'd say yes, but you I don't think so."

I just want to be my own person, not have to be compared to how others are better, or more anything, just... when I'm at a doctor's appointment about me, I don't want to hear about my sister and my brother and their this, that, and their other thing. If it's an appointment concerning me, then, and I don't care how self-centered and conceited and bratty I sound at this point, why aren't we talking about me?

Lately, I got another one:

Annoying, bratty and/or bigoted and disgusting people in fandoms who give all of us sensible folk a bad name- like the fact that all bronies are seen as paedophiles, basement-dwellers and cloppers because of a noisy minority. I'm a brony and none of that, but do people care? Mostly, no. I've hesitating to get into Homestuck not only because of it's utter vastness because of the small but utterly vile group of Homestucks I've met over the 'net, ones who seem to be taking the name 'troll' to heart and then some. You know the type. >~>

This, this entirely. Just knowing that I am associated with some of the people in most of my fandoms makes me sick. Why are the terrible ones so loud? :c

People Who Capitalize Every Letter Of Their Sentences.

My SO does this (well, not every first letter, just most of them) and has previously told me that she does it because she doesn't feel right not doing it (obsessive behavior?), and it upsets me when people make fun of her for it, particularly because I don't understand what's so irritating about it in the first place. :N

People here who post a trade, then walk away and let that trade hang for couple days....making you hang for a couple days....only to be rejected in the end.

I could name LOTS of names.......GGRRRRRRRR!!!

Also, I don't like people who can't talk without lapsing into "leet-speak"...using words like "kitteh" "shineh"....it just makes them sound like children.

It may have been cool at one time, but people, that ship sailed long ago.

Edited by Riverwillows

Pet peeves from around the internet:

People who have had one, or just a few experiences with something, and then base their whole world view on that to the point of disregarding proven facts, annoy me to no end.

It seems like, in almost every political topic, you'll find it:

- Science has proven that X-thing is green 90% of the time.

- Idiot comes in saying "No way! It was orange when it happened to me!!!eleventy!1!!"

Great... Just because you are a special snowflake in the 10% category, does not mean the 90% do not exist.

People who think that saying "Just my opinion" exonerates them from any offensiveness.

It does not.

Mostly, people don't even know the difference between stating opinions and making factual statements. My favourite example:

- Stating opinion: I like apples better than pears.

- Factual statement (can be wrong): Apples are better than pears.

So, if someone states "men are smarter than women/whites are better behaved than blacks/homosexuals are bad/ whatever bigoted thing, just my opinion" they are making bigoted, factually wrong, and very offensive statements regardless of how much they tack "Just my opinion" at the end.

People who seem to think that just because a thing is written on the internet, it must be true.

It is not.

Don't get "facts" off some blog or politically affiliated page, unless those places site reliable sources. I could start a blog just now, and start writing about how Obama is really an Alien from Mars. Doesn't make it true.

Why don't schools teach pupil to be critical of source materials?

Public schools do teach you to be critical of your sources. You just can't fix stupid.

People Who Capitalize Every Letter Of Their Sentences.

people whose punctuation seems to be broken

Ppl who have an inabilty to typ prprly (txtspk)

people who can you barely undrstand cause sentences theirs sense no make at all expeshully with bad spelng.

So much this. tongue.gif

My biggest one at the moment is people saying "calm down" and squeezing my shoulder when I'm angry. There's one person I know who constantly does it and I can't stand it. I'm the kind of person that when I'm angry or upset, I just want to be left alone. Touching is out of the question. tongue.gif

People who cough and/or sneeze into their hands.

It's like, the crook of your arm is right there. I don't have to shake the crook of your arm. xd.png

And also people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. -.-

(Why yes I am a clean freak)

People who cough and/or sneeze into their hands.

It's like, the crook of your arm is right there. I don't have to shake the crook of your arm. xd.png

And also people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. -.-

(Why yes I am a clean freak)

I don't really feel like the crook of your arms is much better. Going to rub against the rest of your body, which is going to touch other stuff anyway, or rub against your clothing, what have you.

I don't really feel like the crook of your arms is much better. Going to rub against the rest of your body, which is going to touch other stuff anyway, or rub against your clothing, what have you.

Yes but if you're less likely to touch other people with the crook of your arm or body.

Plus, if you already have the germ, if it rubs over you it won't make a big difference, while you can get someone else sick if you touch them and transmit the bug.

Yes but if you're less likely to touch other people with the crook of your arm or body.

Plus, if you already have the germ, if it rubs over you it won't make a big difference, while you can get someone else sick if you touch them and transmit the bug.

You're going to touch stuff with your body one way or another. You can get someone sick by touching surfaces and having them touch it later. Your arm is still going to come in contact with stuff, maybe less, but the way I see it you're going to rub on your clothes, which are likely to rub against anything your seated in, which is likely to come in contact with your hands anyway.

It should be noted I have obsessive compulsive disorder, but, really, crook of the arm and hand don't seem like they make that big of a difference to me.

You're going to touch stuff with your body one way or another. You can get someone sick by touching surfaces and having them touch it later. Your arm is still going to come in contact with stuff, maybe less, but the way I see it you're going to rub on your clothes, which are likely to rub against anything your seated in, which is likely to come in contact with your hands anyway.

It should be noted I have obsessive compulsive disorder, but, really, crook of the arm and hand don't seem like they make that big of a difference to me.

I suppose your right. It's just the idea of someone directly transferring their germs/bug to me makes me shiver. If I'm getting sick but I don't directly know it then I'm fine. I'm weird that way. I'm also constantly washing my hands, and cleaning things. xd.png

Edited by Dawnfur

When people say all pythons are dangerous and/or big. I don't think my 3.5 foot python could inflict more than some puncture wounds if she tried, and even so she's never struck except for feeding responses.

I love when people respect and fight for animal rights, I love it very much.

But I absolutely despise when people make comments over animal abuse that are incredibly violent. Something along the lines of "I hope the abuser is starved in a dark room/beaten/burned/etc. and learns how it feels."

I mean, there's no excuse for animal abuse, and they deserve all the proper, legal punishments for their actions. But the people who make comments like that scare me, and don't sound any better than the person who did the abuse. They both sound like monsters.

When I tell someone I'm asexual and they say, "Oh, you just haven't met the right MAN yet!"

Yes, thank you for ignoring me and assuming I prefer men. Gold star for you.

People who don't tell you they're sick when they invite you over or try to share a drink with you, they tell you later "oh yeah, my cousin had mono just to let you know."

People who pretend to listen to you, wait for you to finish and then go back to their point.

People who won't admit to being wrong or not understanding, people who are unwilling to learn.

People who think their choice of music is better then everyone else's.

When I take off my glasses and people give me the "how many fingers am i holding up lol" thing, or treat me like I can't see anything *at all*. Okay, I might have 5 and a half dioptres (quite a lot from what I've seen), but seriously. Glasses don't help completely blind people see. I'm not blind, I'm just shortsighted. Which, moreover, means that I can see your hand pretty clearly when you wave it right in my face. I'd maybe start having problems counting your fingers if you stood ten meters from me or so. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Orlageddon

Unfortunately I have a lot of pet peeves. :<

(I'll just list a few. Or what I think to be "a few".)

- Hypocrites/close-minded (or judgemental) people/people who are really vague about what they want.

- People who want to torture criminals in the worst way possible. Two wrongs don't make any sort of right.

- Textspeak. Especially people who say "soz" or "sozzies".

- Bullies/trolls.

- Those people that keep changing sides when you walk past them.

- People that blame everything on others but never themselves.

- Extremely hyper people.

- Dependant people or those with no common sense.

- Loads of exclamation marks/improper grammar/etc.

- People who hold the door for you, then leave it a few seconds before you're able to catch it.

- The foreigners who rent a car and think that the speed limit is in km and not miles.

- The question "Describe yourself" (or along those lines).

that wasn't really a few, was it

When my dad changes the channel on me when I'm watching predators hunting on shows like Planet Earth. I mean, come on...I was watching that, dammit. He'll always either change the channel on me, or he'll make faces at me and say stuff like "I don't want to see this". Half the time he's not even watching, he just walks over when that part comes on...

Then if I don't change it, he'll be visibly disappointed in me for as long as I keep the show on.

For kipz' sake, go somewhere else if you don't want to watch.

How appearance obsessed most women are. I'm trying to find motorcycle pants that will protect me the best in a crash so I'm looking at reviews. All the reviews are about how the pants look, and the ratings are based on how nice it makes their asses look. I don't care how they look, all I want to know is if they will protect me in a crash because nothing else matters. Who cares about how sexy SAFETY EQUIPMENT makes you look?!

How appearance obsessed most women are. I'm trying to find motorcycle pants that will protect me the best in a crash so I'm looking at reviews. All the reviews are about how the pants look, and the ratings are based on how nice it makes their asses look. I don't care how they look, all I want to know is if they will protect me in a crash because nothing else matters. Who cares about how sexy SAFETY EQUIPMENT makes you look?!

I agree

------------

When people say that the task is done when in fact they are merely starting/cramming

When people assure you of things but they don't do anything about it

Erm, the construction area near school. It's dusty! And well, strong winds blow particles to my eyes! Aargh SM, why build so many malls, housing and more malls? We don't need more malls.

I HATE leet-speak. Or as I call it, baby talk.

Hai, instead of hi. Hai is yes in Japanese, not hello. I love manga, but I hate when people pretend to know Japanese and use leet speak.

Adding "eh" onto words like Kitteh, shineh, etc.

What, are we tweens, or adults? It may be cute when you are 10, but just makes you look un-intelligent if you are over the age of 15.

Just...DON'T. Ok? Use regular human speech, like the rest of us, not baby talk.

Sorry, just pretty much my biggest peeve.

Edited by Riverwillows

Hmmm, pet peeves...

People.

Chronic complainers. If it's not one thing going wrong or bringing them down, it's another, and they can't wait to dump their latest problems and misery all over you. Lovely to be around, those types.

People that absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for their actions or lives or decisions, and play the blame game/victim at every conceivable opportunity, without ever once looking in the mirror.

People that require others to define who they are.

People that are just too damn needy. All. The. Time. They take, but don't have much to give. Spare me those types.

People that are so admittedly fragile that they claim one wrong word from the 'insensitive' masses is enough to cause them to nose dive immediately into a black pit of despair and utter darkness. I say if they're that fragile, stay off the damn net and talk to a professional. I don't want to be blamed, or held in any way, shape, or form responsible for some strangers mental health. dry.gif

People that make the same mistakes, over and over and over, never learn, then cry to anyone who will listen about how rotten their lives are, but seem clueless as to why that may be.

People that like being seen as a victim, not a survivor. blink.gif

People that always want and require a whole lot of sympathy, coddling, and babying. I don't have the patience for them, sad to say.

People that can't handle being told to stand up and be responsible for themselves.

People that live their lives saying 'I can't'. Yeah, actually, you CAN.

That's all. smile.gif lol

"I could care less"

*bangs head on desk* Do the people using that phrase have any idea how gramatically incorrect it is? Seriously. It's a total corruption of "I couldn't care less" which makes faaaaaaar more sense.

Edit to add: And cyclists. Especially at the moment. Do you guys not realise that travelling in packs of 10 or so (up hills in a small village!) is going to cause serious traffic issues. If you want to ride in groups - go ride on the bridleways and not on the main road! How is that fun or companionable anyway?

Edited by TikindiDragon