Saif

Pet Peeves

"Why?"

"Because I said so/I told you to/I'm the mom."

dry.gif I'm in the Psychology major. A SCIENCE. "Just because" is a HORRIBLE reason.

People who preach about how generalizing is wrong and then go on to talk about how all Twilight/Justin Bieber/Kesha fans are all crazed idiots who will assault you if you don't share thier tastes.

When people think all southerners are stupid or "slow" because they speak with a southern drawl and don't talk fast.

Stupid questions, when people make fun of lower grade people, and when everyone crowds around my locker when i'm trying to get my stuff.

When people can't think for themselves/do things for themselves/be independent..

When people think its cool to be awkward or they are just naturally awkward..

Sometimes I just want to curb stomp their face..

And when I try and be nice, and try to talk to people, because Im a nice person and they don't allow the conversation to flow, because they are to cool or some sh$%

It really pisses me off..

How my sarcasm/humor is a little more complex and people think Im retarded... >_>

And how lately I've just been invisible to everyone.. It pisses me off so much, if youre a nice person and you do your job, your a NOBODY..

"Why?"

"Because I said so/I told you to/I'm the mom."

Ugh, this, so much. Parents only ever say that when they know their kids have won.

When people think its cool to be awkward or they are just naturally awkward..

The first part I can understand, but what's wrong with people who can't help it? I'm one of those naturally awkward people... (aspergers ftl, though I'll try to act differently if I end up offending someone)

Same here, one of my sisters has autism, so this bothers me. I have a disease that affects my behivior (graves disease). I also have ADHD, which influences how I act. People often judge me as either akward or weird, so I personally do not agree with that.

Ugh, this, so much. Parents only ever say that when they know their kids have won.

The first part I can understand, but what's wrong with people who can't help it? I'm one of those naturally awkward people... (aspergers ftl, though I'll try to act differently if I end up offending someone)

Im sorry, I guess I worded it wrong. It's just irks me that it's in style to be awkward, and I feel like people are being awkward on purpose.

Ah, I understand now. Yes, that is very annoying, and it makes it harder for people who can't help it to be taken seriously.

Text speak.

Bad grammar and bad spelling.

People that hate you and you pass them and accidentally brush shoulders or something they act like they're poisoned and yell eww.

People who overuse the word 'like'.

Little kids that have iphones and androids. Why do four and five year olds need cell phones?

Teachers that favor a certain genre of people.

Teachers that say that they will take your phone if you have it out and then just ignore the popular people when they pull it out right in front of them and text for about 5 minutes. Then the other people get theirs taken away.

Popping knuckles.

When people pop their back and it pops 20 times.

People that copy each others tests and trade answers on tests as soon as the teacher goes out of the room for 2 seconds.

When People Capitalize Every Word In Every Sentence Without A Reason.

When the words 'a lot' are mushed into one 'alot'.

I'm irked by a lot of things and I could probably think of more. dry.gif

"Metal isn't music"

There are never any good arguments to back it up either wink.gif

People who think that you are WAY below them - in everything! So, no matter how much you may really know, that person discards as 'inadequate' and doesn't hesitate to tell you so! mad.gif

One thing that is almost more than just a pet peeve is people that belittle other people's problems. Just because you do not have it as bad as X person doesn't mean that your problems are not real, for there will always be someone out there who has it worse than you. People who are whining continuously, whether or not they actually have problems is another matter.

People who make a mountain out of a molehill. Look, I don't have anything against imagination, but I do mind when it's presented as absolute truth.

Text speak.

Bad grammar and bad spelling.

People that hate you and you pass them and accidentally brush shoulders or something they act like they're poisoned and yell eww.

People who overuse the word 'like'.

Little kids that have iphones and androids. Why do four and five year olds need cell phones?

Teachers that favor a certain genre of people.

Teachers that say that they will take your phone if you have it out and then just ignore the popular people when they pull it out right in front of them and text for about 5 minutes. Then the other people get theirs taken away.

Popping knuckles.

When people pop their back and it pops 20 times.

People that copy each others tests and trade answers on tests as soon as the teacher goes out of the room for 2 seconds.

When People Capitalize Every Word In Every Sentence Without A Reason.

When the words 'a lot' are mushed into one 'alot'.

I'm irked by a lot of things and I could probably think of more. dry.gif

All of these exactly.

Mass generalizations/exaggerations.

'All republicans are conservative anti-women anti-gay pro-racism hateful and horrible people.'

'All democrats are tree-hugging idealist naive hippies.'

'All rich people are scum that never worked worth a penny for all their wealth.'

'All poor people are lazy fat leeches on society.'

'All women are hormonal and unpredictably manipulative foxes who take advantage of men.'

'All men are grunting apes that only care about what's between their legs and are barbarically violent.'

Etc etc. There's just literally no reason for this, and yet I see it many times.

Edited by soullesshuman

Probably unpopular, nit-picking, killjoy pet-peeve ahoy!

It irks me when people say they have viking ancestry only because they have Scandinavians in their family.

"Viking" is not an ethnicity. Nor a nationality. It was a... profession for the lack of a better word. Saying "My ancestors were vikings!" is sorta like saying "My ancestor was a praetor!" in reference to having Italian heritage.

Scandinavia have some very old, very well preserved family records, dating very far back in time. However, not even they can reach as far back as the viking age (it ended roughly 1000 years ago).

Vikings were a minority. The majority of the people in Scandinavia at the time were farmers, peasants.

People move around a lot. They have moved around a lot during the course of history. Even my family who's been Scandinavian for a good number of centuries eventually trace back to finno-ugric and middle-european areas.

Given above, there should be a extremely small amount of people in the world who actually have ancestors who were vikings, and it should be incredibly difficult to trace and prove.

Of course I realize that some people only say it for the sake of the romantic fantasy. And usually I let them have that fantasy, even though I feel a twitch of history-nerdy irritation every time.

And because it's a pretty irrational annoyance of mine, it qualifies as a pet peeve.

/end mini-rant.

Edited by Ripan

Probably unpopular, nit-picking, killjoy pet-peeve ahoy!

It irks me when people say they have viking ancestry only because they have Scandinavians in their family.

"Viking" is not an ethnicity. Nor a nationality. It was a... profession for the lack of a better word. Saying "My ancestors were vikings!" is sorta like saying "My ancestor was a praetor!" in reference to having Italian heritage.

Scandinavia have some very old, very well preserved family records, dating very far back in time. However, not even they can reach as far back as the viking age (it ended roughly 1000 years ago).

Vikings were a minority. The majority of the people in Scandinavia at the time were farmers, peasants.

People move around a lot. They have moved around a lot during the course of history. Even my family who's been Scandinavian for a good number of centuries eventually trace back to finno-ugric and middle-european areas.

Given above, there should be a extremely small amount of people in the world who actually have ancestors who were vikings, and it should be incredibly difficult to trace and prove.

Of course I realize that some people only say it for the sake of the romantic fantasy. And usually I let them have that fantasy, even though I feel a twitch of history-nerdy irritation every time.

And because it's a pretty irrational annoyance of mine, it qualifies as a pet peeve.

/end mini-rant.

If you consider how many woman were raped by vikings, then people may have a case. Not maybe something you want to be proud of, but....

If you consider how many woman were raped by vikings, then people may have a case. Not maybe something you want to be proud of, but....

Then again, how do we know for certain those stories were true, or not exaggerated? Considering nowadays we often look back at older depictions of vikings and decide lots of it is simply demonization: horned helmets and the full package.

Can't deny that plundering and fights happened, but nowadays it's more believed that the vikings were more commonly tradesmen.

And again: how can you prove that it was a viking rape?

Don't be surprised to find that people in your (general "you" here, nobody in particular) family might not have told the entire truth about certain members of your family tree. There has been times when blood relations to certain ethnicities were considered shameful so they'd rather lie about it, and it happens even today.

One of my pet-peeves is non sequiturs, especially when they appear to have some content meant to shock, but no good reason to deliver that shock.

One of my pet-peeves is non sequiturs, especially when they appear to have some content meant to shock, but no good reason to deliver that shock.

The point isn't to shock anyone. The point is that these would be

a) difficult to track in a family tree

b ) could lead to a large number of "viking" descendents despite vikings being a minority.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Sorry for the long list, but I just love ranting!

-People who lie to make you feel better. (Happens to me ALL THE TIME.)

-Bad gramar nd speling on teh inturrnetz nd TXTSPK. (Seriously, can't people spend that extra time to write out real words that people can understand? If you didn't know what I wrote, it said "Bad grammar and spelling on the internetz and textspeak.")

-When people confuse "their, they're and there.", "your, you're" and whatever else.

-Writing stuff like -'es instead of -'s. (Example: Patch'es verses Patch's. I know someone who insisted that Patch'es was correct.)

-People who spend one day of "experience", like on Dragon Cave, and act like an expert on the subject the day after when you've known everything they said for a while. (Or is it awhile???)

-People who object your opinions with stuff like "BUT IT'S LIEK AN INTERNET SENSATION WHY DON'T YOU LIEK IT???"

-Writing Every Word With A Capital

-Hypocrites. Even if it is me who is being the hypocrite.

-Accidentally saying "line-age" for the word lineage, and then correcting yourself. (It's the correcting that I hate. DX)

-Whenever I talk to myself in my head, pretending I'm typing or talking to someone/an audience. (Which I did while looking through other people's posts, but that was mainly to think of ideas.)

-People who copy drawings and insist that it is original, when you know that you drew the exact same thing, only better, only a day before.

-People who steal ideas. (Someone stole a great idea from me 5 seconds after I said it... Guess how I felt?)

-People who trace art, or any other form of art theft. (I know someone who has traced a lot of my work and other people's work.)

-People who insist that they do not steal, when you know otherwise...

-Whenever I feel like I'm using commas incorrectly...

-Insults, whether they are racist, sexual, or just plain rude.

-Family Guy and American Dad. (I just hate those shows! They make the same jokes that are listed in the bullet before this.)

-Cartoon violence on above said shows. (It can be really creepy sometimes.)

-Call of Duty. Nothing to explain here.

-Swearing. (or is it swaring? Ugh, I'm a terrible speller...)

-When people use the f-word after just about every word, even if it's during school or in a public place.

-People who swear at a young age. (Even if it's in the grade I'm in. The people I know went from sweet Elementary School kids to rude and obnoxious Middle Schoolers...)

-Girly-girls. (Just shut up about Justin Beiber and how pretty you look and how it's weird how I like anime and violence!)

-Being a girly-tomboy. (I enjoy those violent anime shows and I'm obsessed with Minecraft and computer stuff, but I also have a soft spot for flowers and butterflies because of their beauty. And Rainbow Dash. I've loved that pony ever since I was a kid.)

-Never finding Soul Eater on TV and having to find it on YouTube. (When ONLY the first 4 episodes are in English. Seriously, why couldn't Stein's episode be in English, too?)

-Buffering videos/web pages.

-When people insist that their drawings/video game team/writing/whatever else is better than you, and have stupid friends to back up their narcisstic opinions. (Is it proper to say narcisstic? Or would selfish be better? I'm not sure how to describe it.)

-Whenever I (or someone else) write something really really long and it's a headache to look at, let alone read. (EXAMPLE: THIS LIST. Man, I love ranting!)

I know I have more to list, but I bet you haven't read any of this at all, so I'll leave the list at this.

The point isn't to shock anyone. The point is that these would be

a) difficult to track in a family tree

b ) could lead to a large number of "viking" descendents despite vikings being a minority.

OK, I was being a tad dense. Mea culpa.

Chalk up another one where people put down 'I bite' in their post. Why not simply put 'no other offers' instead?

Edited by GokaiPink

Oh boy, I could rant ALL day on this thread. I'll have to limit myself to...three.

When the emoticons appear instead of the text. Like smile.gif instead of : ) without the space.

When people scratch their seatbelts/jeans.

When people use 'your' instead of 'you're ' ect.

MUST...REFRAIN...FROM...RANTING...

Im the same Swoop, I could rant all day and possibly offend a LOT of people.

Anyway, a small fraction of what annoys me is as follows:

- People that do not use proper grammar and punctuation. Especially when people type 'Wat'- Ugh, it is not hard to put an extra letter in there to spell it right!

-Typos. I get them A LOT.

- My little pony Avatars. Sorry, but I thought you had to be 13 yours old to join dragon cave? Seriously, My little pony?

- People that dont listen to you when you say 'No other offers than what has been listed, please'. I find myself aggressively typing in caps because of this and repeating it over for people to actually get the point, and even then...

- People that want mega things for nothing, like when people ask for a CB ND for their common eggs. Or people that ask for like, two metals for one CB stripe and stuff.

- People that dot reply to PM's.

- The go compare adverts. URGH GO AND censorkip.gif OFF!

- Eating noises, bad table manners (like putting your elbows on the table, not wiping your mouth etc), eating noisily. I cant stand this.

- People that call all rock music 'Gothic'. Hate this, I get it enough from my family and friends.

Must stop now. Must not rant on. dry.gif

Edit: Typo fail was pointed out... Blah. dry.gif It is came out as it ss.

Edited by Sinister-by-Nature