chickenhound

3DS dangerous?!

Just for the record, games at a young age can actually be GOOD for kids. I mean, educational games, is a good instance. It's not like I'm saying you should let your toddlers play Call of Duty or Left for Dead or anything, but take it easy on them. It can be a positive learning experience.

Just for the record, games at a young age can actually be GOOD for kids. I mean, educational games, is a good instance. It's not like I'm saying you should let your toddlers play Call of Duty or Left for Dead or anything, but take it easy on them. It can be a positive learning experience.

The critics aren't saying "raaaa games evil destroy them all" they're saying that the 3D technology is harmful to developing eyes. It isn't an outlandish claim, 3D movies are the same, the only difference being that a movie is over before it can really do any harm. People will play games for hours longer than a movie.

I think the 3DS is pretty neat. I'm especially excited for some of the upcoming games for it. As far as I know, isn't it only a certain age group that can be affected negatively by the 3D? When I play on my friend's, I usually turn the 3D down halfway. It's just easier for me to play that way.

And the whole Electric Soldier Porygon thing was pretty creepy. I can understand why some parents may be a bit skeptical when it comes to Nintendo's products. I mean, that whole incident was pretty scary! And after watching the video, WOW. Those flashing red and blue lights are intense! What were they thinking when they added that?

Actually, Nintendo has very little to do with the anime, so only the company that makes it is responsible for that episode, not Nintendo or Nintendo products.

i would say it is the parents decision whether their children play or don't play as long as the parent understands the side affects that the 3DS causes

I've looked at a few demo 3DS in stores, but they make my eyes go weird. 'If' I ever got one I know I'd be playing with the 3D off most of the time, which would be kind of pointless really.

I've looked at a few demo 3DS in stores, but they make my eyes go weird. 'If' I ever got one I know I'd be playing with the 3D off most of the time, which would be kind of pointless really.

Same here. I got one for my birthday and I played it with the 3D turned off nearly the whole time. You kind of have to look at it from a perfect distance and angle, and I can't sit perfectly still for that long.

I really wish some better games would come out soon.

Psp and Xbox fanboys will do just this.

I dont even use the 3D.

I'm in it for the gameplay.

Except that when I tried playing on a 3DS I had to turn off the 3D because turning the 3D on even a tiny bit actually did cause a lot of stress. I didn't even do anything and in the 15 seconds I had the system in my hands I acquired a rather serious headache. Probably due to the fact that I have glasses already and my ability to see relies on lenses that focus light into my eyes for me. I'm only going to buy a 3DS if Pokemon, Harvest Moon and Rune Factory require it. And even then the 3D stays completely off at all times.

So no, don't blame my Sony preference for my physiological inability to use 3D.

Edited by Lythiaren

I haven't had a chance to demo the 3DS, but 3D has been proven to hurt my eyes. I can't even watch movies in 3D(though cartoons to 3D isn't too bad, so I'm going to see the Lion King this weekend)

So yeah... unless some games I really really want come out in 3D... I don't have a huge problem with implied depth perception xd.png I'm actually rather good at it, seeing as I've been playing video games since I was four. Judging gaps? That's part of my thought process in puzzle solving/running away from things that are trying to kill me. It's all ingrained into my head.

I'm with Lyth on this one. Glasses + already sensitive eyes + 3D = not good for me. I do like the slide pad on there, as the control pad is one of the more annoying things about the DS(had considerable trouble navigating KH 358/2 Days with it) but I'll probably have the 3D feature always off. I'll probably get a 3DS when the next Pokemon games come out on it, or something else I'm dying to play(...Like Luigi's Mansion 2 D8)

It strikes me as a bit strange that so many people seem to buy a 3DS and then have to turn the 3D bit off. It's like buying cable and then only using it to watch the regular channels.

The 3D hype has died down quite a lot in my area. There are scores of second hand 3DS' for sale which is quite sad considering they didn't come out all that long ago. I don't think an updated version has been released yet has it? That is the only other reason I can think of for people selling them so quickly.

I have a 3DS its ok I guess. Only reason why I got the thing was because my ds Light died and gamestop was haveing a deal on tradeing it in and taking off 79 bucks for it. The 3D feture can hurt your eyes as well as your head if you try playing in the dark lol. I just can't wait to see how they make Monster Hunter on this.

Neat Nerd fact about the 3DS games and system. DO NOT TRY THIS!!! Wounder why there is a little tab on their games? Well (guy showed me this from Play N Trade) if you cut the tab off and put the game in a old DS system it will in a way still load the game. Problem is the sec it gets past the nintendo load screen it cuts itslef off in sleep mode (kinda like with a Action Replay) and will keep trying to load the game over and over untill it frys its system.

It strikes me as a bit strange that so many people seem to buy a 3DS and then have to turn the 3D bit off. It's like buying cable and then only using it to watch the regular channels.

I don't really care about the 3D myself (it's neat, but I don't have any 3DS-only games yet, so I don't use it much), but I had to get it because games I really want are going to be released for it. Mostly I got it for Tales of the Abyss' 3DS port, but I'm interested in a few others down the line, too. And eventually there'll be 3DS-only Pokemon I'm sure. I could have waited, but I wanted to take advantage of the "trade in your old DS(whatever) system for a better price on it" deal GameStop had, since I love saving money when possible.

So some of us buy it not for the new features, but because it's the only way we can play upcoming games.

Edited by KageSora

I don't really care about the 3D myself (it's neat, but I don't have any 3DS-only games yet, so I don't use it much), but I had to get it because games I really want are going to be released for it. Mostly I got it for Tales of the Abyss' 3DS port, but I'm interested in a few others down the line, too. And eventually there'll be 3DS-only Pokemon I'm sure. I could have waited, but I wanted to take advantage of the "trade in your old DS(whatever) system for a better price on it" deal GameStop had, since I love saving money when possible.

So some of us buy it not for the new features, but because it's the only way we can play upcoming games.

Yeah pretty much this. Hard to play games I want when my console that doesn't give me headaches won't play it just because Nintendo wants to push its gimmick that I can't use.

Yeah pretty much this. Hard to play games I want when my console that doesn't give me headaches won't play it just because Nintendo wants to push its gimmick that I can't use.

Yeah, it's sad. I loved my DSi, and it was a real hard choice to trade it in, but ultimately my loyalty to Tales games drove me to part with it. I'd have been perfectly happy to just keep my DSi if the 3DS games were playable on it (minus the 3D, of course), and so many others would have...

At least, though, the 3D is optional--Nintendo made a great move with that, and I'd hope that future 3D systems would support that, because otherwise they'd alienate an entire group of people who can't stand 3D for long periods of time--I know that if the 3D isn't optional, I won't be doing much with a game since if I have my glasses on, I get a headache (a nasty one) by the end of any 3D movie even... At least with a handheld I can sit in bed and hold it close enough to see without my glasses...

The 3D hype has died down quite a lot in my area. There are scores of second hand 3DS' for sale which is quite sad considering they didn't come out all that long ago. I don't think an updated version has been released yet has it? That is the only other reason I can think of for people selling them so quickly.

That analogy doesn't work too well. The 3DS is more than a DS that can process 3D. You're comparing a console that can process graphics somewhere between GC and Wii (depending on which site you ask) graphics to one that can barely display N64 era graphics. Beyond that, the system relies more on save data being in the system itself, meaning the games have more space for more features rather than having a designated spot open for save files. There's also more flexibility with internet connection, console to console communication (that isn't based on the carts), and, of course, exclusive games. For your analogy, it would be paying for cable and not only getting the channels in HD now, but you're also using exclusive features like picture-in-picture and instant movie downloads, and somehow, magically, you're able to watch DVDs entirely because you bought cable (and before had to deal with worse quality VHS). However, you're not using the most publicized feature of cable (being the extra channels) so people think you've gotten cable for nothing.

Even that's not really a perfect analogy, since people probably wouldn't pay monthly for cable for just those features (unless they REALLY liked HD channels), and you don't pay monthly for consoles, it's pretty much a one time buy.

Ultimately, what's selling these consoles isn't the 3D, it's the games and the promise of games. Not everyone uses every feature of what they buy. Those consoles returned were probably by people who bought the product because the purchase was worth it to them at the time, but their experience led them to believe that the features didn't meet up to their expectations in some way. Maybe they actually bought it for the 3D and found that the feature didn't work to their liking (hurt them to look at). No one except them knows. Consoles tend to have some returns after the hype of a brand new gadget dies down (especially since most consoles have a dry spell of games after release, which can be jading to many first-day/early buyers. It seems today people think that games fall from the sky and that all of the past consoles have had weekly releases of great games).

Hype for consoles usually leads more people to buy the systems than will actually want them. It's the thrill of having a brand new gadget that's been hyped up because of all of the shiny new features. But for the consumers, after stripping away the novelty of the product, it ultimately has to be worth it. For some, it just may not be.

The PS3 suffered from lots of returns in the months following the release (to the point where our local gamestop had a sign refusing anymore because they already had over 20 used systems that they couldn't get rid of at the time), even though it was a very hyped up console on the heels of the very successful PS2. Opinions can change, especially after experience. This is all just the normal cycle of things.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

Hype for consoles usually leads more people to buy the systems than will actually want them. It's the thrill of having a brand new gadget that's been hyped up because of all of the shiny new features. But for the consumers, after stripping away the novelty of the product, it ultimately has to be worth it. For some, it just may not be.

Very true. This is why I don't buy shiny new things until I've had time to stew over it and decide if I really have use for it. I have several PSP systems because they do what I bought them for and I actually use all of them, but not one was bought until I had use for it. I only bought my second DS Lite because I'd snapped a hinge right off my original one. I will likely stay with my Lite (notice I don't have a DSi; I had no use for the camera and my Lite serves just as well for playing games) until the first 3DS game that I want comes out.

This applies to buying anything that isn't a necessity. You should decide for yourself if you're actually going to use it for long before you go out and buy the latest shiny new things.

It's also cheaper this way.

Edited by Lythiaren

And another thing is that a lot of games the 3D has doesn't make them any better, but i just got the new Star Fox game for the 3DS and the 3D is actually pretty cool on some levels.

I don't own a 3DS myself but I have played on a few...its the same concept for me as a 3D Television. Where it might be cool for a few particular items, not everything works perfectly. And I can only stand to look at something in 3D before it starts up horrid headaches...

I might make an upgrade to a 3DS only for particular games, but it certainly will not be for a three dimensional experience.

I don't have a 3D..... wink.gif ....but I do have a DSiXL laugh.gif .The screen is so big tongue.gif

Anyways my friend has a 3D but every time it goes on "3D MODE" It makes my eyes go blurry blink.gif ......................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Scroll spam Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I've owned a 3DS since it's US release date and i've yet to have any problems from actually playing/viewing/watching anything in 3D. I have some eye strain, yes, but I get that from playing console video games on a TV as well.

Some games and movies work really well in 3D and my eyes have no problems adjusting. The 3DS's built in games are a perfect example. They never once hurt my eyes because they're MADE for 3D. Same with some of the Videos on Nintendo Video.

However, there are some games that really weren't made for 3D and you can tell. They were obviously added just to get to put the '3D' label on the game case. Most of them the 3D doesn't really bring anything new to the table, either. A great example of this would be the Samurai Warriors game. The 3D is only really neat during the text cut scenes (the video cut scenes don't have 3D). In actual gameplay, it's not that exciting. And it hurts your eyes after a while.

And then there's some where 3D use is impossible because you have to be directly infront of the screen. Starfox 64 3DS is a perfect example of that. When i'm playing, I generally tend to jolt the system in the direction i'm trying to move, a habit of using both the N64 controllers and the Wii Retro Console Controller. And, the weird thing is- This is also encouraged as there is a motion control option for flying your plane. However, every time you move your system a little to the left or right, you get blur screen. Which is horrible when playing a fast paced game like Starfox. The opening scene in 3D is amazing, though. When it shows the side of the ship and the wing jolts out of the screen is just amazing. I want to reach out and try to touch it every time!

There's also the fact that some games have so little 3D that you forget the 3D is on at all. Devil Survivor: Overclocked is a perfect example of this. This game would have benefited greatly by adding the 3D to the long text cut scenes. Instead, they tacked on 3D effects when you create a monster. Which is probably only seen 4% of total time you play this game. And you generally skip it because it's long and repetitive.

Also, for those parents out there worried about these reports, there is an option on your 3DS to password-protect the 3D option. So, if you don't want your child playing in 3D, just password lock the option off the system.

Edited by MysticTiger

MysticTiger pretty much explained it, so I'm not going to say too much.

The 3D does take a short time getting used to - playing someone else's for a short time really isn't enough to get an idea of how you'll react. (Part of it's just getting used to how to hold it.) I remember just playing it in brief but frequent intervals to make sure I was used to it before I'd start letting myself play for hours. Working my way up was just fine. I've never had any problems with the 3D, no headaches or eyestrain or anything.

I been using 3DS as well good for use playing games and YouTube, Netflix,etc. I not use it as 3d too much for my eyes.... blink.gifsmile.gif