chickenhound

3DS dangerous?!

Everytime I'm just bored and have a game instruction packet to study, I always read the safety warnings and wonder who's parents exactly could NOT know these warnings naturally.

The bolded part is what I think is just plain wierd. Stand or sit as far from the screen as possible? What, do you think a kid can play Mario Kart standing 5 feet from it? The second is only for systems like Gamecube, Xbox, etc. And it specifically says Nintendo DS.

As possible, as in, stand as far away as you can and still enjoy the game. I can enjoy Red Dead Redemption at 2 feet away or 5 feet away. Both distances deliver the same entertainment but 5 feet is just better for your eyes.

As possible, as in, stand as far away as you can and still enjoy the game. I can enjoy Red Dead Redemption at 2 feet away or 5 feet away. Both distances deliver the same entertainment but 5 feet is just better for your eyes.

The point of the post was that you can't do that with a DS. Red Dead isn' exactly a handheld game.

Nintendo released a statement saying that the 3D mode of the upcoming 3DS is dangerous to small children saying it may damage their eyesight..

this makes me worry some crazy and stupid parents may try to ban it after they dont hear this and let their kids play it anyway dry.gif

like that pokemon card that was never released here becuse the japanese verison had a "swastika" on it (really it had the buddest luck symbol on it that the swastika was corrupted from) or the 3 episodes that had jinx in them becuse a bunch of parents thought jinx was racist and lude... and those are just the pokemon bans I know

anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

source

I think there is a third, I beleive the episode of the original pokemon series where ash got his taurus was banned due to its focus on firearms.

I honestly think having a 3D gaming system is extremely stupid. U don't need to see something in 3D to make a game better, plus i really do think there will be serious side effects. Games are meant to stay 2D.

I honestly think having a 3D gaming system is extremely stupid. U don't need to see something in 3D to make a game better, plus i really do think there will be serious side effects. Games are meant to stay 2D.

Having games in 3D actually help make them more enjoyable. When you're playing a 3D game in a 2D plane, you have no depth perception, so your brain has to develop an idea of how far away X object is from you, and whether you can jump across a chasm. The self-illusion of depth can actually be very tolling on gamers, old and new, and many times, you have to adjust to things like "This Playable character jumps lower than the PC in another game", and this adjustment often means there's going to be a tutorial/very easy stage to get you used to the controls, especially for the camera and getting used to judging distances.

So 3D does have legitimate uses, it helps take a bit of an unecessary load off of a gamer's mind so the gamer can worry about hitting that question mark block or outrunning a wall of lava rather than constantly thinking "Am I close enough to the edge to make the jump?". Now to some gamers, this is seen like a way to make games "easier", but frankly, I don't think having no depth perception in a video game is a challenge that needs to be in a game. Without it, moving about is smoother, you don't have to worry about running into enemies because they're closer than they appear, and frankly, I'd rather have my brain chugging along to find out how I'm going to make it through this level rather than trying to convert a 2D image into a 3D one in my head.

And the same argument about "games need to stay 2D" was used back in the days of the N64. Many people thought video games were ruined when they went to 3D models/worlds/movement. The difficulty for games like Zelda and Mario was now dependent on finicky cameras and uncertain distances. With 2D graphics, you has sidescrollers or topview games for the most part. Everything was seen, there were no surprises, the gap wasn't larger than it appeared, it was a gap.

However, 3D graphics came, and they're here to stay, and, frankly, I think 3D will be the next step in that... if they can figure out a way for home consoles to work on ANY 3D TV and if they can convince consumers to buy those TVs at very low prices... But I'd say we're about a decade or so away from that happening outside of handhelds...

And the side-effects are just a warning. Many medicines have nasty side-effects (including death), but you don't see everyone using them getting said side-effects. The fact is, the 3D is going to affect everyone differently. Some people could play it 24 hours straight and probably not see any harm done. Some people might play for 30 minutes and start getting a headache. The reason for the warning for kids under 7 is two-fold. First off, kids at that age are still developing their eyesight, which is why it's very important for kids to not stare at the sun (but for adults... the damage is less), because if they do, or they have anything else damage their eyes, that damage is more likely to be permanent (some damage can be fixed, but at a certain point, it can't keep up with the damage). Secondly, kids are more likely to be glued to the handhelds, especially during family trips, and many parents don't see the harm in playing hours on end. While regular games aren't good for kids to play for long periods of time with no break (the same goes for adults, but again, our eyes aren't as easily screwed up), 3D can really mess with a kid's eyes in large doses (though, again, there will be some exceptions of kids who can play for 3-5 hours straight with no effects). Hence Nintendo's warning, since parents aren't exactly the most well-versed in the intricacies of gaming handhelds, Nintendo has put a warning (like the warnings for staying a certain distance away from the screen and taking breaks for the Wii and DS), not only to inform parents that they need to be sure their kids don't play with the 3D setting on (or if they're old enough, that they should take constant breaks from playing), but also because inevitably, there's going to be a parent that buys their 5 year old a 3DS and will be upset that, having not read anything about the system or monitored the use of the system, their child now has been damaged by the gaming console, and this way, Nintendo's covered (this is similar to why we have ESRB rating and seizure warnings in/on games).

ANd beyond all of this though, the 3DS doesn't require you to use the 3D setting, you can turn it off entirely if you want to. The system works perfectly fine and will be reminiscent of the Gamecube (or apparently, even the Wii) in graphics, and I believe almost every game released will be perfectly playable with no 3D (The only thing that I'm unsure about is 3rd party developers). However, Just because you don't see the value in 3D gaming, doesn't mean that everyone shares your opinion, so I think this feature is nice, as it allows gamers who want 3D to enjoy it, and allows those who don't like the change to play games in the traditional way.

However, I would advise you to try the system (there's tons of places all over to demo the 3DS... go to Nintendo.com and see if you can find one near you) before judging whether 3D is not the next step in gaming/inferior to 2D.

-K-

That's like saying that games don't need good graphics at all and all games should have graphics like Pong or Space Invaders. Sure, games don't need good graphics to be fun, but it does help immerse you in the game. Same with 3D graphics.

I think 3D is definitely coming, which for me is a bad thing because I get horrible headaches after 30-45 minutes of watching 3d movies.

That said, you can turn 3D mode off, so I will buy one in the future. I will be waiting until it has an increased game library. My DSlite will do until then. That thing is sturdy. Even after being dropped in a bowl of mashed potatoes I was making it still works fine.

All I know is that studies show that its not dangerous, BUT Nintendo is playing it safe and slapping a warning on it. It's the same 3D you'd get a movie theater, so I figure it'll be ok for kids, just not for long periods of time.

Also, if the parents do care there is parental settings on the 3DS to which you can limit the amount of 3D your kids can use. They can override it without a 4 number code. So if you are a worried parent you can do that. <3

(I own a 3DS and have tested the feature, after the allotted amount of time, it just shuts off the 3D, you can slide the 3D slider all you want but its not coming back unless you give it the secret pin number.)

EDIT: Here is a guide to setting up Parental Controls on your 3DS, in case any worried parents are reading this. smile.gif

Also everything Kamak had said. (You didn't mention the Parental settings though xd.png)

Edited by athdaraxen

Also everything Kamak had said. (You didn't mention the Parental settings though xd.png)

I sorta mentioned it (by having them make sure their kids play with it off), but I didn't cover it very much... :/

I'm definitely having to take more constant breaks from the 3DS, especially in games like Face Raiders (which may be better to take the 3D off because all of the moving around you do causes your eyes to have to keep adjusting).

-K-

*Clutches DSi XL tightly* I am VERY happy with my DSi, and my parents probably won't let me have both, so personally, 3DS can wait for a few years! (I'm just about to get into DSi Ware!) I think that the system would be nice, in small doses, I'm not really THAT involved in gaming, so the "quality" of the image (Am I close enough to the edge to jump it?) isn't all that cool to me. Basically, I'm just not comforatable with 3D gaming... But you never know!

I do think that staring at screens for prolonged periods of time isn't good for you, 3D or not. 3D sometimes gives me headaches though, similar to FPS. >:

Psp and Xbox fanboys will do just this.

I dont even use the 3D.

I'm in it for the gameplay.

Edited by ToonYoshi

I play the 3DS for the graphics. The 3D hurts my eyes so I never use it. Besides, it uses up the battery. And, the whole reason we got a 3DS was for Ocarina of Time.

I can understand why the 3DS may hurt your eyes, but it's a myth that regular screens can. While your eyes can get fatigued from focusing on a screen too long, it can't actually do any physical damage to the eyes. (At least, TV screens can't.)

Edited by TheDarkCynder

I tryed to play on a 3DS and i found the 3D part was quite a pain it made the game quite hard to play. sad.gif which was too bad since the game looked cool.

~~~~~~

I also saw one banned Pokemon episode in Japanese w/ subs it was so weird I can understand the ban.Children back then were so innocent cause the didn't have things like that on tv.

Edited by LunaBriarwood

I am no parent, for I'm a child, I do believe the DS3 is not reliable, and can hurt many people's eyes. Due to recent happenings on the 3DS, plus the banned pokemon videos, many parents now make sure there kids will never get a 3DS.

Well the 3DS' 3D mode hurts my eyes. But there is something called turning the 3D mode off, so they're not going to ban the system. And if they did, why don't you just ban all the other gaming systems? Most video games have the same amount violence, there's also rating the games so kids can't get games that are too violent. And for the Pokemon episodes that were banned, lots of other episodes of lots of other shows have been banned. So far, Pokemon is one of the safest anime's I have ever seen.

I am no parent, for I'm a child, I do believe the DS3 is not reliable, and can hurt many people's eyes. Due to recent happenings on the 3DS, plus the banned pokemon videos, many parents now make sure there kids will never get a 3DS.

Are we talking about Electric Soldier Porygon, or what?

And SakuraLeaf, no one said anything about banning the system. For one, it's already out, which would make it impossible, really, and we can't even ban truly dangerous things, let alone a video game.

OMG, Electric Soldier Porygon caused 200 Hospital visits, 4 dead! sad.gif

If I could, I would ban Nintendo for a week or two for making that 3DS! The mode can be turned off? Good. I think pokemon is one of the safest Anime shows, also.

Edited by Discontinued

OMG, Electric Soldier Porygon caused 200 Hospital visits, 4 dead! sad.gif

If I could, I would ban Nintendo for a week or two for making that 3DS! The mode can be turned off? Good. I think pokemon is one of the safest Anime shows, also.

Because... why, exactly?

I hate 3D in general. I never watch any new movies with it, and before the camera angles drove me crazy I never had the 3D turned on on my 3DS I hated it.

Really what's the appeal of 3D? It makes me think of that one Fairy Odd parent's episode (before poof thank you very much) where Vicky and her family have to stay over at Timmy's house and they have those cheesy blue and red 3D glasses.

Which personally only David Tennet can pull off and NOT look stupid

Everytime I'm just bored and have a game instruction packet to study, I always read the safety warnings and wonder who's parents exactly could NOT know these warnings naturally.

The bolded part is what I think is just plain wierd. Stand or sit as far from the screen as possible? What, do you think a kid can play Mario Kart standing 5 feet from it? The second is only for systems like Gamecube, Xbox, etc. And it specifically says Nintendo DS.

Laughed my arse off.

My dad has a 3DS, and i play on it for like 5 hours on end with no brakes. I have no problem with that.

My brother is 7 and plays on it too, but not as much as meh. No one in my family has had any problems with this 3DS.

So i dont want it to be banned or anything.

But even younger kids should have it on lowest 3D setting (i have it on middle 3D since i dont like it full 3D). :3

I havnt had much of a variety of games, but will be getting mariokart and supermario when they come out on 3Ds wink.gif

-Ra

Hmm... but, then again, any screen (DS, IPad, etc.) could hurt your eyes, but by far parents are mostly worried/angered of the 3DS...