chickenhound

3DS dangerous?!

Nintendo released a statement saying that the 3D mode of the upcoming 3DS is dangerous to small children saying it may damage their eyesight..

this makes me worry some crazy and stupid parents may try to ban it after they dont hear this and let their kids play it anyway dry.gif

like that pokemon card that was never released here becuse the japanese verison had a "swastika" on it (really it had the buddest luck symbol on it that the swastika was corrupted from) or the 3 episodes that had jinx in them becuse a bunch of parents thought jinx was racist and lude... and those are just the pokemon bans I know

anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

source

Edited by chickenhound

pokemon swatstika card??? never heard of it but i heard about all the other ones,and i wont be buying a 3DS i have a PS3 and a DSi

You know whats more dangerous? DS Lite on the highest brightness dry.gif It damaged my friends eyes so now she can only play half an hour at a time.

...Can't staring at anything with a fairly bright screen damage your eyesight if you use it too much at one time?

I probably won't get a 3DS (I'm happy with my DSi) but I don't see why it would be banned. There are probably plenty of other things that have health risks to small children and parents still let them play with those. I think as long as Nintendo puts that somewhere on the box/instructions or something for the 3DS it should be fine.

Call me old fashioned but TBH I don't think kids younger than 7 should be playing video games anyhow. >_>

Call me old fashioned but TBH I don't think kids younger than 7 should be playing video games anyhow. >_>

well your just a party pooper xd.png

pokemon swatstika card??? never heard of it but i heard about all the other ones,and i wont be buying a 3DS i have a PS3 and a DSi

user posted image

its one of the gym leader cards its called koga's ninja trick they did manage to release a english version with an altered symbol after heated talks

but really its just silly the size of the thing is itty bitty and its not like any kid would care

Edited by chickenhound

You all realize that the 3DS is a whole new handheld system and that any 3DS game will be totally incompatible with previous DS systems right? So if Pokemon Gray or a game from any other series you may like comes out exclusive to the 3DS then you wont be able to play it without one.

As far as being dangerous, I'm no longer a kid so I don't think it's a problem for me.

Edited by Lightstorm12000

Aren't all handheld consoles with bright screen lights dangerous for your eyes? I became crossed eyeded for a few hours when I finished playing 2 hours of handheld gaming in the middle of the night during an out of state trip.

I never actually seen the 3DS in real life action so I wouldn't know how it really effects the eyesight.

Don't every game or console come with a hazardous warning. Besides, parents should know better not to buy anything technological new as the 3DS for a 7 year old child.

Aren't all handheld consoles with bright screen lights dangerous for your eyes? I became crossed eyeded for a few hours when I finished playing 2 hours of handheld gaming in the middle of the night during an out of state trip.

I never actually seen the 3DS in real life action so I wouldn't know how it really effects the eyesight.

Don't every game or console come with a hazardous warning. Besides, parents should know better not to buy anything technological new as the 3DS for a 7 year old child.

They should, but I have seen 4 year olds spilling salsa on DS's that they were using dry.gif

I have played for 3 hours and nothing has happened to my sight xd.png I have amazing sight lol

user posted image

its one of the gym leader cards its called koga's ninja trick they did manage to release a english version with an altered symbol after heated talks

but really its just silly the size of the thing is itty bitty and its not like any kid would care

There weren't heated talks, it was changed to avoid heated talks when the translators noticed that it could be offensive... It was never deemed to be banner either, they've altered plenty of cards while on their way stateside.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

If Nintendo said it themselves, then of course it'll be written on the box and it's not their fault if parents don't listen to them. There's even a parental control thing to keep the 3D setting off, so smart parents' kids will be okay.

Anyways, still looking forward to all of the new games biggrin.gif

user posted image

...I actually have this card @_____@'''.

Anyways: Hm.

Interesting.

I don't get it. People can get eyesight problems from staring at their DS for 2 hours when I could play for hours and I wont even get anything o.0. Therefore I don't think I would have a problem playing the 3DS. btw whats with that big and random button on the 3DS?

I don't think it'll get banned if there's a 3D setting and a warning. My brother damaged his eyes from having 'lets-see-how-long-we-can-stare-at-the-sun' competitions. Pretty much everything damages your eyes.

lolwut. I can play for 6-5 hours. But I pretty much have an immunity since I play so much.

And I play my DS with fairly low light so I can save batteries.

I don't figure it'll be banned--as others have said, there are plenty of ways to damage your eyes, and if Nintendo is making sure people know about it, then anybody who suffers from it is suffering because of not paying attention to safety warnings.

I'm still getting one, no matter what. Really, really want one. I'll probably trade in my DSi when I get one.

And I can play games for hours on end and have no problems, but my vision's already screwed, I need glasses to go anywhere, ahahah... But srsly, I play games for hours at a time sometimes and never get problems. Well, sometimes I can be a little disoriented if I was really involved in the game, but same thing happens after reading a book for a long time, so...

Edited by KageSora

Oh, I've heard of some pretty ridiculous bans in the past. California banned toys in McDonalds meals with more than a certain number of calories.

I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS banned in California, but for the rest of the world, I don't know.

Oof, no. Onus should be on the parents to actually check on what they're getting their kids instead of running out to snatch it up for Junior. Nintendo's warning is pretty appropriate - I can sort of grasp at where they're coming from, since I'm aware that the human brain perceives pixels differently, and combining that with 3D and moving images, that can have negative effects on some. Headaches and nausea come to mind. If they're going to argue about eyesight and eye health, it probably will be the same argument that cropped up with television sets and computers, albeit in a different format. The old 'don't sit too close you'll ruin your eyes' thing.

And to be honest, I think I would have to laugh a bit at parents who don't check and then pitch a fit about it - only takes a little bit longer to sit down and go through the fine print to save you a world of pain later.

btw whats with that big and random button on the 3DS?

That's an analog stick, like those on Playstation and Xbox controllers.

Everytime I'm just bored and have a game instruction packet to study, I always read the safety warnings and wonder who's parents exactly could NOT know these warnings naturally.

Playing video games can make your muscles, joints, skin, or eyes hurt. Follow these instructions to avoid problems such as tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, skin irritation or eyestrain:

• To reduce the likelihood of a seizure when playing video games:

1. Sit or stand as far from the screen as possible.

2. Play video games on the smallest available television screen.

4. Play in a well-lit room.

The bolded part is what I think is just plain wierd. Stand or sit as far from the screen as possible? What, do you think a kid can play Mario Kart standing 5 feet from it? The second is only for systems like Gamecube, Xbox, etc. And it specifically says Nintendo DS.

i read the other part... it says that there is a 2d mode yes...?

and im sure it ain't THAT bad, cus im 12...

like that pokemon card that was never released here becuse the japanese verison had a "swastika" on it (really it had the buddest luck symbol on it that the swastika was corrupted from) or the 3 episodes that had jinx in them becuse a bunch of parents thought jinx was racist and lude... and those are just the pokemon bans I know

There were also banned episodes that supposedly caused seizures in epileptics. And there was the one that was banned because they gave James from Team Rocket boobs...

I don't think that Kids that young should even have a DS or any handheld system.

Sorry but when I was a kid, I tended to drop things and abuse them. I would never let my hypothetical kid have a handheld system because they'd go and break it and then want another one and I'm not putting up with that.

The banned Porygon episode wasn't just "supposedly" because of seizures. It caused seizures in well over 500 kids when it aired.

Personally, with a seizure disorder myself, I was unable to view it because of the flashing that occurs in the episode.

There were also banned episodes that supposedly caused seizures in epileptics. And there was the one that was banned because they gave James from Team Rocket boobs...

Oh yeah, Beauty and the Beach, where James had...inflatable boobs.

The Legend of Dratini was also banned because Jessie, James and Meowth had guns and were holding someone hostage D:

Wouldn't the 3D screen being harmful to a child's sight be negated by turning off the 3D? Anyways, I don't see the 3DS being banned anywhere since it only takes a bit of good parenting to prevent it from being harmful. Now, if the 3DS didn't have the ability to turn off the 3D then I can see some places banning it or at least a health warning on the box.