CYDA LUVA83

Acting like your age

Trust me - liking fantasy stories is not related to maturity levels. I like them, my mother likes them, my granmother likes them. A good story is a good story, regardless of your age/maturity level.

+1.

I likewise love a good story as well as I write in almost all possible genres. Not to mention I also play computer-games of certain kinds. (Pokemon is not my line, though. More real-time tactics, FPS and the kind. Surprisingly even rally, give or take.)

Whether people consider me older or younger on general basis, or whether I "act my age"... Good question. rolleyes.gif

In real life, people usually guess my age according to my appearance rather than actions, so they will land me in the right decade... On the net... People have sometimes guessed close to my true age, sometimes made me younger, sometimes older... Usually they do not misjudge my age by more than ten years on average.

(I'd figure it also depends on/from where and on which time of the day they mostly meet me, no?)

Edited by Shienvien

My students think I'm as old as 35yrs old. My Dad is only 43yrs.

Kestra, students are usually bad judges of ages. I don't know how old yours are, but mine were usually waaaaay off, because they thought someone teaching must necessarily be much older xd.png It's just - you're on the other side or something like that.

TikindiDragon: I admitted acting my age. But then, I'm older than 30 which makes it not so difficult, I guess.

Trust me - liking fantasy stories is not related to maturity levels. I like them, my mother likes them, my granmother likes them. A good story is a good story, regardless of your age/maturity level.

This. Pokemon is very popular in university.

Well, you see now, I'm 57, played the original computer games like 3D Noughts and Crosses and Colossal Cave Adventure back when you only had mainframes or minis to run them on. Nowadays, I'm new to DC (my daughter and wife made me do it wink.gif ) but an MMO veteran and still revist some of my old DOS games for nostalgia. Am I a nerd, oh hell yeah!! And proud of it. tongue.gif

Along the way I tried being adult, really I did. It was such a traumatic experience (dramatically flings the back of one hand to his forehead) that I hurried straight through my adult phase to second childhood. Worst week of my life, really.

Sure I can hold down a job, wear a suit, talk currency exchange rates, but man, the strain is a killer. So do I act my age? Nah, I'm just a kid with a white beard, bald top and laugh lines, but I kave a lot more fun than most people my age. biggrin.gif

By the way, does anyone know a good way to glue pages back onto a calendar? laugh.gif

Naaaa, don wanna act like my age, its way more fun to act like a little kid...

I'm 12 - 13 in a month - and I think I act like a ... 12 year old (or 13 year old).

Although I lose my cool around snow and start throwing snowballs like a 3 year old kid...

I am 26 and I act like a 18 yo... When I have my good days...

Maturity is overrated.

In my opinion, the sole statement of calling yourself mature is immature. However, I can't honestly state that I act with the same attitude toward goals in life compared to most of my peers. I'm 14.

In my opinion, the sole statement of calling yourself mature is immature.

While generally yes, people are just calling themselves mature to boost their own ego and whatnot, some people are genuinely mature, and they see that in themselves. Saying so doesn't make them any less mature.

In my opinion, the sole statement of calling yourself mature is immature.

I'll have to agree with Cheeze on this - while normally if someone says they are mature for their age I'd ignore them, I can't doubt that some of us really are more mature than our years. Given I've always been assumed to be five to ten years older than I actually am, when asked it's because people point out I seem to be remarkably more mature than they would expect for someone of my age. I'd argue this is due to experience - I've gone through a fair amount more than someone of my years would expect.

It's often a mark of a person who has been through a lot - they'll seem much older than they actually are. It's reflected almost perfectly here on the forums - there are people who seem much, much older than they are simply because they've suffered through more than their years should have allowed.

Although I lose my cool around snow and start throwing snowballs like a 3 year old kid...

This is a basic requirement of people wherever there is snow, no matter the age.

@Kestra, although it could be caused by other things than suffering too. If they are serious all the time perhaps it's more likely suffering, but I know a few people on the forums who are more mature than their age because they had parents who taught them the "adult way of things" before they needed to adjust to it. I also know some of the opposite. I think suffering can be related to parenting as well, but I know that many of the "more mature" group just had good role models.

By suffered, I don't mean they've been beaten, or other such highly negative connotations. Simply they've had to do more in their childhood than simply worry about what Mum and Dad are cooking for tea, with

When I'm in a serious discussion/situation, I generally act more mature than most people my age. When I'm not, it's fun to act like a little kid.

Do you act your age? Immature? More mature? Post your thoughts/debates here.

Generally you mean?

Well, serious stuff should be taken seriously while the fun stuff should be fun, it's all about timing tongue.gif

NEVAHHH!

I'm an Aspie, so I find it very hard to act my age- sometimes I act like a 17 year old, but sometimes I can seem as young as 14... I like Pokemon, baby animals, stupid jokes, dumb socks with patterns on, cupcakes and having nonsense conversations with my friends. I'm hopefully going to uni this year, BTW...

Times when I'm ultra-serious,

When I perceive a task that needs doing, that'll take years to finish, it's a bit depressing to devote so much time to doing this one thing, so I become serious when doing it ninja.gif

I've always acted more mature than most in my age-group, according to the adults around me. I'm 14 years old, at the moment, but is into philosophy and know how to get it out on paper, in the form of both writing and drawing. I've also got my own book published a couple of months ago. I've dealt with my mother's incureable sickness and is helping her out whenever possible, using the time we've got left for the better, instead of whining about it.

However, others my age usually think I'm immature, because I'm more interested in cartoons and video games than my own looks and attitude (I never do anything to look pretty and act on my own logic, which somehow doesn't include being sassy and outgoing). However, being myself somehow earns me respect and magically turns their opinion upside-down. Most of the time.

Personally, I think doing what YOU like and slapping those who judge you across the face with a giant, neon-colored "Screw you"-sign is more mature than knowing about politics and economy and yadda-yadda (or, as suggested one should do above, not admitting your true opinion of yourself, in an attempt to sound humble).

And yes, you may start nit-picking at my logic now, but please direct your questions at before-mentioned neon-sign, because I'm busy stroking my ego further elsewhere. All in good spirit, of course. Thanks for reading. ;D

I think maturity and responsibility are closely linked..

I'm taking up someone's time (and my own limited mortality) and space and resources here on this earth while I'm alive so I might just as well make it count rather than wasting it for nothing

Usually not. I usually come off as younger than I am. Because I usually have a silly, chipper demeanor and I look younger than I am. But saying that, in a lot of ways I am more mature than people my age. I know that doesn't make sense but yeah. xd.png

Some times, i go all childish like an eight year old* other times i act so technical and confusing even my teachers can't understand me**

* which isn't too bad considering i'm eleven about to turn 12

** which is probably why i am two years ahead of myself and will be starting year 8 this year...

Some times, i go all childish like an eight year old* other times i act so technical and confusing even my teachers can't understand me**

* which isn't too bad considering i'm eleven about to turn 12

** which is probably why i am two years ahead of myself and will be starting year 8 this year...

Wow... I'm impressed.

Twin card, that is pretty cool.

Me? Just muddling along acting like I'm a looney. tongue.gif I'm supposedly 15 but people say I act like I'm 12.

Who defines how each age is supposed to act? I live my life as I want, and if others think I am acting older or younger than my age, it doesn't matter. I am not defined by my age, but by what I do.

Erm, well...I'm 21 and I act how I act. I've got friends of an applicable age that think I'm too serious and need to loosen up more often, and I've got others that think I'm too silly/spontaneous and need to be more grounded. They don't think I act my age.

Granted, the ones telling me to be more loose and partiers that don't know what it's like to have a full time job. The others telling me to be more serious are full timers, and seem to have forgotten life outside of work exists.

Then I have another group of friends, who act similar to myself.

I'll stop myself right there...I don't want to get all philosophical on a question that wasn't supposed to be serious, xd.png

it would seem no because other players on stream dont ever believe me when I say im 22