CYDA LUVA83

Acting like your age

I always find this sort of question odd...

Right now, it seems like a lot of 20-somethings are going through a lot of trouble to redefine how their age should act. If they are in college (especially here in Portland OR) it is a lot of social justice, with relationships being "too much work" or "taking up too much time I could be using to do other things." If they are out of college there is either consideration in going back, implementation of any graduate skills in getting a job, or this sort of clamor for entry-level positions.

This all seems end up in an extended (in some cases, imposed) adolescence that leaves me at least somewhat confused as to what I "should" or "should not" be doing. Thus, I am not sure if I act my age, as I cannot be sure what my age is supposed to act like.

It depends who i'm around and what i'm doing. If i'm around people my own age i act like a 15 almost 16 year old would act if i'm around adults and family i act more mature.

Psssshhhhhaaaawwwwwwwwww

I don't believe in acting older or younger. The funny thing is, when we're younger, we want to act older, and when we're older we want to act younger. That's how it works. biggrin.gif

For the most part I guess. I don't know...I guess I could pass off for 15 or something even though I'm only 13 ^___^ I try and act not like a bratty 13 year old...

In fact, I act more mature for my age... and look it.

I'm a high school student and people mistake me as a college student.

My older sister is mistaken as my younger sister due to our maturity level.

How funny hmm?

Ive been told I can act any age. It's just achieving a state of mind.

But the fact remains that I am 19. I might feel 14 or 30... but I am 19.

I'm 13... But at times I act like a 16,18, 21 or older... then again there is also 9, 6 and 4

Funny. Almost everyone on here under the age of 20 seems to think they act more mature than they are... and almost everyone over that age seems to think (or should I say hope wink.gif ) they act younger than they are.

We can't all be right, guys. If everyone in a certain age group acted 'mature' then that maturity would be considered normal for the age. It isn't, and it's therefore statisticaly very unlikely that everyone here in their teeens is 'more mature' than a normal teenager.

Rather like how (as reported in the UK recently, anyway) some 90% of drivers think they are better than average....

I agree, not everyone who is young will act more mature. In fact, going off of the people on the IRC, it is extremely easy to tell how old someone is. They just simply act young, if they're young. Thirteen year olds are obviously thirteen.

However, I personally have been mistaken for 19-21 on several occasions.

I think it also depends on who you associate with. I personally spend my time with either people 40-55 or college students. I spend no time with people my own age. Not only am I associating with college students, but I'm taking all upper division classes. That means my fellow students are between 20 and 23.

When I was 13 I got mistaken as a 20+-year-old. In an eyeglasses shop. I've also been mistaken as a guy, a drug dealer...

When I was 13 I got mistaken as a 20+-year-old. In an eyeglasses shop. I've also been mistaken as a guy, a drug dealer...

Srs bzns? blink.gif

My students think I'm as old as 35yrs old. My Dad is only 43yrs.

In person, I've always been mistaken to be older than I am. But I can be incredibly child-like as well.

I agree, not everyone who is young will act more mature. In fact, going off of the people on the IRC, it is extremely easy to tell how old someone is. They just simply act young, if they're young. Thirteen year olds are obviously thirteen.

However, I personally have been mistaken for 19-21 on several occasions.

I think it also depends on who you associate with. I personally spend my time with either people 40-55 or college students. I spend no time with people my own age. Not only am I associating with college students, but I'm taking all upper division classes. That means my fellow students are between 20 and 23.

You can usually tell within a few posts how young a person is I think. You might not be exactly correct but you can tell if they are a teen under 17 for example. One exception on here is Murder, who I think is still 17 (aren't you Murder?) but he comes across as in his mid twenties.

I'm 18 but I know people have thought I was 21/22

I also get told all the time when i buy cigarettes that I'm 16 and my id is fake...

I'm a teen but all the older people that get to know me tell me I act like an adult. Pssh, just mature when it matters and not when I get to be free. >:D

according to my age I should be obsessing over Edward cullen and having raging hormones,

I'll turn the birthday back on in my profile for a couple minutes , let's see how many people are surpised or not by my real age... sleep.gif

I can be childish and silly, but I'm a generally serious / mature person. But if you didn't know my age, and I told you, I don't think it would come as a shock.

I always say that I am 16 with 8 years of extra experience.

why act all mature and boring? I'm young! Woman in my family tend to reach the age of 90 or even 100. So I have about 70 more years on this planet and I want to enjoy every single one of them wink.gif

Acting your age is overrated.

Nipple.

LOL.

Yeah, you can so tell that I'ma be 18 this year...

But, even though my sense of humor, habits and the general way I act is far less mature than the age I am, people often think that I am at least 20. Which is weird.

Edited by Googleplaxin

I try to not act my age, and pretty well succeed at it. I'm supposed to act 19 but I act more like i'm maybe 14 or 15. I still watch cartoons, still play pokemon cards, still tell immature jokes all that stuff. Why would anyone want to be an adult? It sucks. So yeah I can act mature but prefer not to.

Well I've always been told I act too old... by my parents no less >.<. My mother was always going on on how I should act more like my age when I was like 16-17 and not particularly interested in going out all night long to parties and stuff. Now she's given up, but still tells me from time to time to "have more fun" I guess I'm too settled down for a 21 year old. On the other hand, no later than last summer I was asked if I was 12 and on another occasion it was assumed that I was younger than 16 by looking at me >.<

Mostly..., noes, I like to play computer games ( pokemon was/is a favorite of mine), and never did outgrow fantasy type stories. I and my teenage sis get along fine, mostly. I can be "Responsible when I wnat , but I know how to relax and be myself also.

Mostly..., noes, I like to play computer games ( pokemon was/is a favorite of mine), and never did outgrow fantasy type stories. I and my teenage sis get along fine, mostly. I can be "Responsible when I wnat , but I know how to relax and be myself also.

Trust me - liking fantasy stories is not related to maturity levels. I like them, my mother likes them, my granmother likes them. A good story is a good story, regardless of your age/maturity level.

I'd like to see a list of how you are supposed to act at each age.

Seriously.

My "maturity" varies depending on the situation.

If it's ok for me to chill out and have some stupid fun, then I will.

In a more serious situation, I become more "mature" as appropriate for said situation.

Based on other people my age, I suppose I act normal, maybe slightly more mature because I don't do any reckless behavior.

But on the other hand, I do a ton of immature things... Guess it all balances out, I'm neutral ~ true neutral.

In general guesses (really, not based on behavior, but based on looks) people range me from 18-22

(20)