~!~

VirtualDex Project

I did a manual search and didn't see anything concerning this site, so here goes:

There's this Pokemon-themed adoptables site called the VirtualDex Project or VDex for short. It's pretty much a copy of the first four gens, complete with comparable catch rates and rarities. You travel the map searching for Pokemon to catch.

I'm not trying to advertise the site, here, I just think it's a really cool site, and it's remarkable playing both it and GPX Plus because I can see two completely different takes on the exact same basic theme: Pokemon adoptables.

It's not actually better than GPX Plus, but it's really, really different. Some pros, and some cons.

• You don't compete with other players for Pokemon
  • You don't "hatch" Pokemon; you catch them live
  • You buy PokeBalls with money
  • There are pay-only items, but these are mostly jokes
  • There is no AP equivalent
  • There are no 5th gens (yet)
  • There are no "events"
  • There are no custom Pokemon (afaik)
  • There are fewer fancy features
  • Dungeons
  • Partners
  • BERRIES that you can grow (unless GPX Plus has those and I wasn't aware)
  • Your Pokemon don't need to be shown off to level up
  • Retro sprites
  • Gacha Corner
So yeah, some pros and some cons. It's more like UniCreatures, really, than Dragon Cave, except it lacks the fatal flaw of pay-only pets.

There are far fewer fancy features, probably because it's newer. No dressing up, no Underground, no PokeWalker, no "Interactions Today," no battling. The achievements are less creative. There are, however, a lot of different kinds of Pokemon that you can catch. You can get "retro" sprites, i.e., sprites from older games, and you also have a (pretty high) chance of running into the wrong frame of the animation. There is trading and there are things called "dungeons" which are pretty much text-based adventures with Pokemon-themed graphics, but which are fun anyway. Legendaries are earned, not randomly given out (a feature I am particularly fond of), and Pokemon take a lot less time for a relatively inactive player to train. A lot more is based on time, rather than interactions (money, exp., how much your partner likes you, etc.). And speaking of partners, that brings me to the most characteristic difference of all.

You'll see this if you go to make an account on the site, but I'll give you a synopsis here. A while back, all the Pokemon turned into humanoids. Nobody knows why. So, to fix things, some people decided to bring the old Pokemon back. They created this virtual world where humans and "Pokehumans" can live together alongside virtual old-fashioned Pokemon. You are given a Pokehuman partner upon arrival (there's a list of these somewhere) and he or she will give you some advantage as they become happier. Right now, I'm partnered with a fellow named Yun who gives me a discount at PokeMarts. His happiness goes up with every 200 pen I spend. There are like 15 or so partners currently in the game. Once you max out your partner's happiness, you can get some special item that will let you get a legendary Pokemon of some kind. Apparently, Yun will eventually give me a twistedspoon that can be used to trade for a diary that will let me catch Mewtwo. But I don't know much about that yet, because I just recently got some money to spend. You get money by putting money in the bank, but you get more of it by showing off your party.

Despite their differences, GPX Plus and VDex do share some important characteristics:

• Shinies
  • Repels (repel Pokemon you already have)
  • The PC
  • Happiness
  • No Hatcheries (afaik)
  • Attached forums (VDex's is actually completely integrated)
  • Breeding
  • Evolution items
Here's the thing, though. In order to buy the evolution items, you need to feed other players' Pokemon. (This is their alternative to the "guilt" system GPX Plus uses.) So it's kind of useless if you're the only person on a forum that uses VDex. xd.png

So, I guess this can be like all the other threads in here. Post your party and it will get fed. Also, I don't think they have a built-in way to link directly to Pokemon. *goes to search*

EDIT: Yep, no way. You can do it, it just takes some manual work. So, in theory, you could pass that work on to anybody passing through this thread and have them go to each member of your party individually, but feeding involves a lot of clicking already, so... yeah. Your call.

Also, you have to be a member to feed. Which is dumb, but whatever. I guess they want to grow their site.

Here are mine, all easy-ified. You still have to click frikkin twice to feed them, but it's better than the four times you would have had to had you just clicked on my party.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Edited by ~!~

Hey, someone else who play VDex! biggrin.gif I just started last week, but i already like it a lot, probably because it strives to emulate the original games so much. I also really like the dungeon-crawling, but i pretty much love dungeon-type games of all types, so... tongue.gif

Anyway, here's my party:

user posted image

Yep, just a general link, sorry. How did you do the individual links, ~!~?

No custom Pokemon? My Aerodactyl begs to differ.

user posted image

Anyways, I love this site and keep my party link in my signature all the time.

There was an event where members could make their own sprite for any non-legendary Pokemon they chose, and it would be added as a unique Pokemon for that member. I joined during that event, and made myself a Syncdactyl.

user posted image

I only started a couple weeks ago, and Meganium's already at Level 99. <3

No custom Pokemon? My Aerodactyl begs to differ.

user posted image

Anyways, I love this site and keep my party link in my signature all the time.

This site is amazing. There are custom pokemon, though, you should edit the post.

http://forum.vdexproject.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2419

And there are events, there's an event forum. xd.png Like the xmas event, or what do you mean?

I was thinking of making this thread awhile ago tongue.gif

My Pokemon are in my signature.

I think this website is a lot better than GPX just because you don't have to spend a lot of time clicking Pokemon just so you can level Pokemon/hatch eggs. They all hatch/level just by sitting in your party.

Plus there isn't a ton of users so you know most of the people that post on the forums.

Here. They are so pretty smile.gif

5th gen are coming smile.gif

yep, 5th gen is on the way, there ARE events and custom pokemon, maybe you dont searched well...

or perhaps your too new to the site to now it, but, in my opinion, is better than GPXPlus since you ont have to spend hours a day clickin someone else's pokes to make yours grow... at least for the ones(like me) that dont have the time(or the will) to SPEND that much time, is better biggrin.gif

I joined a few days ago, it's pretty fun. I haven't gotten very far, though. xd.png

user posted image user posted image

I'm sad to see this topic is sorta dead. I love vDex to pieces. :3 The admin is awesome, the events are fun, and I love the way things are set up there. The member-base is similar to this one in that there are a lot of generous people who help out those who didn't have time to catch special 'mons and I think that's what I love most about it. The only thing I really don't like is that you can't link your party on Yarold's. :(

Hey, I saw that site before! I joined, but it kinda confused me so I just dropped it. Let me see if I remember my account info...

I apologize for resurrecting this thread ^^; Seen this advertised in a few people's sigs for a long while now, and finally thought to give it a try (even though it's a tad confusing ^^; ) :3

user posted image user posted image

Edited by FluffyPillow