Jaceevoke

Question about a trade?

why do people consider named lineages rare?

like the dorkface/dusk lineages.

i seriously don't get it. all they do is add in a name to their dragons and suddenly they're special..?

i'm not trying to be rude i just don't understand why it's become a thing lol

i seriously don't get it. all they do is add in a name to their dragons and suddenly they're special..?

Because those lines grew, and they're popular. You may not understand why, but that's how it is.

Well, the Dorkface dragons (the genuine ones, anyway, not the fake ones) are all descended from the original Midas Dorkface and his mate, the original Shallynaar. I don't even know what the 'dusk' lineage is but it's probably something similar. Another example is Thuwed dragons, descended from TJ's Thuwed dragons.

They're rare because they are sought-after. People want Dorkfaces because they're just one of the most popular name lineages - I don't know why, but they always have been. People want Thuweds because they're descended from TJ's dragons.

It's just a thing. They get popular and from then on everyone wants them. It's like when fads start. You don't really know where or why they start but suddenly they're in high demand.

Because those lines grew, and they're popular. You may not understand why, but that's how it is.

what an answer A+ you must have thought really hard c:

Well, the Dorkface dragons (the genuine ones, anyway, not the fake ones) are all descended from the original Midas Dorkface and his mate, the original Shallynaar. I don't even know what the 'dusk' lineage is but it's probably something similar. Another example is Thuwed dragons, descended from TJ's Thuwed dragons.

They're rare because they are sought-after. People want Dorkfaces because they're just one of the most popular name lineages - I don't know why, but they always have been. People want Thuweds because they're descended from TJ's dragons.

It's just a thing. They get popular and from then on everyone wants them. It's like when fads start. You don't really know where or why they start but suddenly they're in high demand.

i understand why Thuweds are popular, though, because they're TJ's bred dragons and he owns the site.

i guess these type of fads just seem pointless to me lol a dragon is a dragon, no matter the name.

i guess these type of fads just seem pointless to me lol a dragon is a dragon, no matter the name.

Yeah, I understand. I never really understood why Dorkfaces were so popular, but I remember joining the site and seeing that everyone made such a fuss about them, making me want one as well. I got one - not as exciting as you'd think. It was basically like 'hey, I got a Dorkface and did nothing with it.' They just get popular somehow. People make lineages like that all the time but only a few of them are really successful.

I currently have a 4th gen gold shimmer (holiday mate), a 4th gen silver shimmer (holiday mate), and a 4th gen bronze shimmer (common mate) offer on my CB silver. I've tried offering for a couple 3rd gen bronze shimmers (along with some new release hatchlings), but my offer was declined each time. Is 4th gen the best I can hope to get with one CB silver? It had been years since the last time I caught any CB metallics, so I'm not really sure of their value in trades these days. happy.gif; I've played around on DC for years without ever venturing into the forums until very recently, so I'm not very good at the whole trading thing...

edit: I also got a 3rd gen tinsel offer, but I haven't a clue how much tinsels are worth?

Edited by Krad_Hikari

There were a lot of factors that went in to making the Dorkface lineage popular.

I think that a lot of it had to do with the fact that DC used to be a much smaller community, breeding wasn't exactly the way that it is now, and, maybe most importantly, the lack of gender influence.

When the Dorkface lineage started it was over in the LJ DC communities, and there was a lot of focus there on breeding. So it's not odd at all that a specific line would get passed around enough to eventually become recognizable.

And, frankly, the story was amusing in a way that most players could identify with - having to keep hunting new rares because they kept gendering wrong was a pain for everyone and so the frustration that gave birth to the name was something that was a common thread. So she named her dragon "Dorkface" in retaliation and friends thought it was funny and wanted an offspring, and then their friends started seeing them around, heard the story and related and wanted one and, over time, it became a recognizable lineage.

Which, when you think about it, is how a whole bunch of things gain popularity in life - humor, commonality, relatability, etc. - so it makes sense from that angle.

I currently have a 4th gen gold shimmer (holiday mate), a 4th gen silver shimmer (holiday mate), and a 4th gen bronze shimmer (common mate) offer on my CB silver. I've tried offering for a couple 3rd gen bronze shimmers (along with some new release hatchlings), but my offer was declined each time. Is 4th gen the best I can hope to get with one CB silver? It had been years since the last time I caught any CB metallics, so I'm not really sure of their value in trades these days. happy.gif; I've played around on DC for years without ever venturing into the forums until very recently, so I'm not very good at the whole trading thing...

edit: I also got a 3rd gen tinsel offer, but I haven't a clue how much tinsels are worth?

With the recent metal boom, a lot of players with lower gen Shimmers might not need a Silver as badly as pre-boom. And even though metals have become much more rare again, the collective mindset hasn't completely caught up with that yet and so metals still feel a bit less valuable then they did this time last year.

I think that, in another month or two, you'd have a much better chance of getting a 3rd gen for a CB metal. 4th gen is kind of the stepping stone between "low-gen" and "mid-gen", so people are often more free with them then with a 3rd gen, because even though it's one gen difference it bridges a pretty substantial divide in value.

You might want to try posting your trade at a different time of day, or staggering your posts in the various trading threads so that they cover more time zones.

As for the Tinsel, that's a hard question. First, we'd need to know the color of the Tinsel, the CB Tinsel it comes from, what breed the partner is, is it stair-step, spiral, or even-gen, and is it just two breeds?

Tinsels are in a place right now where they're less popular than Shimmers to many because they've been available so much longer. But, assuming that we keep getting new Prize dragons every few years (as opposed to going back and forth between Tins and Shimmers), then some of the lower-gen Tinsels will eventually see an upswing in value as CB Tin owners and low-gen Tin owners eventually stop playing.

But that can be a long term investment trade, and a lot of it hangs on the questions above. If you get a 3rd gen pairing that 50 other people also have, then that may not be worth your Silver. But a rare pairing, especially from certain Tins, may be a good trade if you're thinking a bit farther down the road.

With the recent metal boom, a lot of players with lower gen Shimmers might not need a Silver as badly as pre-boom.  And even though metals have become much more rare again, the collective mindset hasn't completely caught up with that yet and so metals still feel a bit less valuable then they did this time last year.

I think that, in another month or two, you'd have a much better chance of getting a 3rd gen for a CB metal.  4th gen is kind of the stepping stone between "low-gen" and "mid-gen", so people are often more free with them then with a 3rd gen, because even though it's one gen difference it bridges a pretty substantial divide in value.

You might want to try posting your trade at a different time of day, or staggering your posts in the various trading threads so that they cover more time zones.

As for the Tinsel, that's a hard question.  First, we'd need to know the color of the Tinsel, the CB Tinsel it comes from, what breed the partner is, is it stair-step, spiral, or even-gen, and is it just two breeds?

Tinsels are in a place right now where they're less popular than Shimmers to many because they've been available so much longer.  But, assuming that we keep getting new Prize dragons every few years (as opposed to going back and forth between Tins and Shimmers), then some of the lower-gen Tinsels will eventually see an upswing in value as CB Tin owners and low-gen Tin owners eventually stop playing.

But that can be a long term investment trade, and a lot of it hangs on the questions above.  If you get a 3rd gen pairing that 50 other people also have, then that may not be worth your Silver.  But a rare pairing, especially from certain Tins, may be a good trade if you're thinking a bit farther down the road.

Aw, I didn't know there was a metal boom.

So, I guess I'll try to aim for a 4th gen for now. I'd like to try for common mates, though people only seem to be offering holidays so far.

I'm in Taiwan, so the forums are always dead whenever I post my trades. I tried posting right before bed, when people in the states start waking up. I DID stay up late once just to see if I actually got more trade offers, and I did, but I noticed that people would also cancel them well before I would have seen then when I woke up the next day. D: edit: I ended up trading for the gold.

Here's the link to the tinsel.

Edit: I AM still curious about how much a tinsel like this would be worth though.

+ Thanks so much for detailed response. c:

Edited by Krad_Hikari

what is the worth of a cb copper egg?

just wondering

To get or to trade away?

To get: Currently, off the charts, since no one seems to be catching any. Which is to say regardless what you offer, you may not get any bites.

To trade away: You can probably ask almost anything you want, with one caveat: It's unlikely someone is going to trade you a CB metallic for one... yet, at least. smile.gif If this drought continues (which by all rights it should simply not, but that's never stopped things from being wonky), anything is possible.

I'd recommend waiting for at least one other opinion, though! Since I'm not hunting for them, I'm not entirely aware of what the lowest price in trades for them currently would be.

Edited by pinkgothic

what is the worth of a cb copper egg?

just wondering

I saw a trade for a CB gold for 2 copper eggs. Although that might be a need trade (cb gold owner needed the 2 coppers), I would say that at the moment, coppers are about equal to blusangs in value.

I've traded a CB blusang for four coppers (admittedly shortly after the big release), but I wouldn't quite say that coppers are commonly that desirable yet.

Aw, I didn't know there was a metal boom.

So, I guess I'll try to aim for a 4th gen for now. I'd like to try for common mates, though people only seem to be offering holidays so far.

I'm in Taiwan, so the forums are always dead whenever I post my trades. I tried posting right before bed, when people in the states start waking up. I DID stay up late once just to see if I actually got more trade offers, and I did, but I noticed that people would also cancel them well before I would have seen then when I woke up the next day. D: edit: I ended up trading for the gold.

Here's the link to the tinsel.

Edit: I AM still curious about how much a tinsel like this would be worth though.

+ Thanks so much for detailed response. c:

I would trade my soul for it, and I think you can get quiet a good offer on it. Perhaps a CB silver or gold.

How much would you say Black Capped Teimarrs are worth? On the DC wikia it says their rarity is unknown. In some of the trading threads, I've seen people offering (lineaged) metallics for Black Caps. I haven't seen anyone offer a CB metallic for a Black Cap, but still, I didn't think they were worth a metallic.

Perhaps it's because they're a bit harder to find in the cave - I've only seen a few since the release, and they're in the Coast which is a pretty slow-moving biome. But what is their worth? I'm interested in getting a few more and was wondering what I'd have to offer.

I've traded a CB blusang for four coppers (admittedly shortly after the big release), but I wouldn't quite say that coppers are commonly that desirable yet.

Coppers just don't drop. So trading them is not hard, but mostly impossible, as people who catch them, keep them most likely for themselves.

after the release, people still traded them, because they have heard fionas obviously false statement that these won't be rare. yet currently, they are the rarest of the rare.

Coppers just don't drop. So trading them is not hard, but mostly impossible, as people who catch them, keep them most likely for themselves.

after the release, people still traded them, because they have heard fionas obviously false statement that these won't be rare. yet currently, they are the rarest of the rare.

She said they were uncommon.

Blacks and tsunamis are uncommon and were not dropping for a long time. An uncommon dragon can appear rare due to desirability.

Yes, coppers are quite "expensive" at the moment.

Black Caps are dropping fine, they're not as common as the salt egg (black tips, I think they are called?), but they're still fairly common.

However, bred metals aren't exactly at their usual rarity at the moment, so I imagine there are plenty of people who would trade a blackcap for a metal.

An uncommon dragon can appear rare due to desirability.

That's how it is with blusangs. Maybe a year ago, it was other breeds.

But right now - Coppers are not uncommons that get snatched up to fast to grab them before others do, like blusangs are. they are a no-show.

and you can't put a price tag on something that's pretty non-existant, thats not real value, its more like the blue and the red mauritius stamps...

Since coppers are a no show, I can understand not getting any in exchange for my Ice or Black Tea but does a CB Seragamma Wyvern for either of those seem fair?

I would not set my expectations too high on getting either of those traded for the seragamma - people tend to trade new releases for stuff they'd not get normally, because rich people arw often lazy and still want the new ones.

Or: they keep them. The tea, and maybe also the ice, should have enough trade value. Nevertheless, it might be a while to find a tradepartner for this kind of trade.

Looks like I got lucky with that Blacktip for Blackcap earlier, ah well sad.gif

Edited by Chaos Rider

@ whitebaron - that a rather un fair attitude you have towards "rich" peolpe here on DC. i have nice things on my scroll but i worked my butt off to get a lot of what i have on my scroll.

@ Chaos - you probably wont get many bites for the 3rd gen Ice, but i can see a swap between CB Black Tea and CB Seragamma *nods*

edit - what do you guys think is a fair value for a 5G Silver Shimmer lineage

Edited by Red2111

I would not set my expectations too high on getting either of those traded for the seragamma - people tend to trade new releases for stuff they'd not get normally, because rich people arw often lazy and still want the new ones.

Or some people don't have time to compete with 30+ others for elusive new release drops.

Red2111, the egg is fogged.

the baby shimmer was from this girl

a 5G wave 2 breed with shadow walkers. you can see siblings to the one i just gifted in Dotz progeny

@red: i don't consider you as being one of the rich ones, sorry.

As for your shimmer, its mid-gen, with holidays, and 3 step wave. So trading worth is rather low, unless you find someone who has no shimmers at all and rip them off. ;-)

@noxion: Yes, amounts to about the same, they just breed 2g metals or 3g prizes and don't participate in the hunt. your best bet to get stuff you otherwise could never afford, is to collect new releases, hatch them, then search for trades.

@chaos: i'm not saying that trade is impossible, just that most people tend to not bother picking up new releases just to swap them for other new releases, especially if they are from the same drop.

telling a person to find another who doesn't have a shimmer and "rip them off" is poor play adn very bad advice imo. a person who does that will have Karma to answer to imo

Edited by Red2111