Jaceevoke

Question about a trade?

which I think is completely ridiculous

There are generally a lot of completely ridiculous things in the trading section, really. smile.gif The trading section in general isn't much of a good indicator for values, unless you focus entirely on what people are asking (rather than offering). Sadly, that situation's only going to get worse as more and more species enter circulation, really; trying to keep track of the relative value of all of them is gradually getting more and more difficult for any single person to do.

On the topic of blusangs, I'd say Amazon_warrior has the right idea.

Are PB Nebulae in any kind of demand? A while back their cave drop rates increased a lot, but I could still get a pair of hatchlings for a 2nd gen egg. I haven't bred any Nebulae in a couple of months, but I don't see them in trades any more either - just the occasional CB color swap. Is it still reasonable to ask for 2 common hatchlings for a PB egg?

Edited for typo's biggrin.gif

I would say that would still be fine. A hatching or a low time egg would help you get the hatchlings for sure.

With the very recent influx of CB Blusangs dropping more frequently in the cave, what are they worth right night?

Last week I saw people with CB Silvers asking for a 1:1 trade for them. Now I've locked myself with them (7) and can't get a bite. I'm asking for CB Coppers/CB Green Opals, and I'm more than willing to negotiate ratios with someone...but so far, nada.

I know CB Coppers are dropping more often now as well, but I am locked so I'm not able to grab any. CB Green Opals still seem to be pretty elusive as far as I can tell. So,

what would be a fair trade if those are the two breeds I'm looking for and have multiple CB Blusangs to offer for them?

Last night I was hunting and at one point there was a Blusang that sat there for 4 refreshes. Which isn't forever, but it's enough in cave time to show that they're changing from an insta-grab.

Right now, if people are making high level Blusang trades it's because some people A. don't hunt or haunt the trade threads much and aren't aware of the population shift, B. fear the upswing may be temporary, C. really, really, really love the sprite.

The problem is that anyone who has been hunting enough lately to have CB Coppers and Green Opals has probably seen the Blusang population surge and will be less likely to trade them, and those who got their Coppers and Green Opals by trade probably asked for those breeds specifically, so they probably won't be eager to trade them, either.

However, we're still on the edge of this shift and so you still may find people who haven't fully noticed the current drop rate and will give you a good rate for them (although the amount you have may work slightly against you there as it's somewhat of a tip off to the rarity decrease). But in my hunting last night I saw no Coppers and 2 Green Opals so I'm not sure how many Blusangs it would take to shake one lose from someone who caught them.

Personally, I don't see why blusangs became rare in the first place. Back then, they were merely uncommon.

I compare everything to a CB gold for value.

Some people are asking a CB gold for their copper or blusang, which I think is completely ridiculous. In a few months coppers are going to be a lot more common (besides, the wiki lists them as "uncommon").

Blusangs were almost a no show in the cave for a while, and during the metal rush it was actually easier to grab a CB Gold than a Blusang. On top of which, everyone was desperate for them because they were an early Shimmer line breed, which forced value even higher. That's when they really shifted from valuable uncommon to being seen as rare.

Also, the Wiki, while an absolutely wonderful resource, isn't always conclusive for everyone given that it's not an official extension of the site. For instance, the categorizing of Papers as rare is disputed.

I do agree with you about the rate of Coppers increasing. Apparently TJ said it was okay for the spriter to let us know that they would be uncommons. But he also said Papers were uncommons, and if they drop at that rate, and have the benefit of being considered a (lesser) metal while lacking the liability of being unbreedable, they're still going to go super fast and be valuable in trades.

Good points. I've just never seen a dragon breed go from so ultra rare to "meh" so quickly, and I've played this game for well over 5 years. People would've clawed my eyes out a week ago and now.... *crickets*...

Like every other dragon that has waxed and waned, I suppose I should just hang on to them and have a comfy number for breeding projects, since they'll probably not drop like this forever.

I hate unpredictability and value blabbity blah. I would've never made it in the stock market. xd.png

Which egg is harder to get right now, the Blackcap or an Imperial? And how on earth do you guys keep track of the valubleness of all of these eggs? Ya'll are geniuses

Which egg is harder to get right now, the Blackcap or an Imperial? And how on earth do you guys keep track of the valubleness of all of these eggs? Ya'll are geniuses

Ehm, for me it'd be Imperials since I do find Black Caps (CB) much more than Imperials. Though there are CB Imperials in AP as well.

Is there a current trend for peeps to hold on to trades for days? I seems to have encountered this problem for the past week and it is beyond annoying. Do you keep your trade partner waiting because you are waiting for better offer to come in or using the declining button is not your nature? If you are considering a trade, what is the time limit that you usually allocate?

Is there a current trend for peeps to hold on to trades for days? I seems to have encountered this problem for the past week and it is beyond annoying. Do you keep your trade partner waiting because you are waiting for better offer to come in or using the declining button is not your nature? If you are considering a trade, what is the time limit that you usually allocate?

I don't know how others do, but I don't hold trades longer than ~24 hours; I don't like an extra unwanted egg occupying my scroll space forever. The fastest trade I made (nobody knew about it beforehand) lasted less than 10 minutes.

It really helps me when people with nice offers also PM me, that way I can let them know I am considering it. I do turn down offers I am definitely not interested in.

But yeah, seeing if there are going to be better/actually valid offers (I get a LOT of "well this is nice but not what I asked for" offers on my trades) is generally the main idea of keeping a trade open. :/ Most people I know will say up front if they're going to do that, though.

—T.

It doesn't bother me when people keep their trades open for days (although it's nice to mention that you're doing so). What gets me is when they do that and then lean on folks not to cancel their offers.

A trade offer is money that is unspent until it changes hands. If someone wants to take that and spend it somewhere else then they're under no more obligation to maintain other offers they made - especially given that eggs can only be offered in one trade at a time.

That's part of the balance - the person offering the eggs doesn't know how long they'll be tied up, if their offer is actually being considered, how many offers they're up against, etc., and the person posting the trade doesn't know how long an offer will hold. The first circumstance pushes the person offering on a trade to make the highest offer they can if they really want the trade, while the second pushes the trade poster to make a decision.

But holding offers for days and making people feel bad and/or think that it's somehow unacceptable to cancel offers that might be under consideration is having one's cake and eating it, too.

But I think some of it has to do with the upswing in Coppers and Blusangs. More people are catching these and still thinking that they're ultra-rares (and Coppers are still rare, but they are visibly increasing and there's little reason to think that trend will stop). So they want a chance to get a lot of offers because, to them, it's almost like having a CB Gold.

I'm not sure if that's a good strategy right now. The longer they hold the trade, the more people are going to see those eggs in the cave, in the trade threads, and being remarked on in forum discussions. Also, it's very likely that other people will begin offering them for less in newer trades, so older trades with super high demands could be left out in the cold.

It's hard to tell, because we're still on the cusp, but I have a feeling that once it's more widely seen that the Blusangs and Coppers are in upswing you'll see the "holding trade for X days" thing go back to being mostly about CB metallics and very low gen Prize dragons.

Thanks for all the input. I am already being very selective in what trades I offer on. If I am not going to play the waiting game with a trade partner, I would never offer on trades which are :-

• Very open ended aka Have no clue on what they want (i.e - I don't want to part with this egg unless there is a tempting offer / I don't know if I want to trade this egg but try me / Lets see what kind of offer I can get for my egg!)

• Post and Go (i.e - I am going to bed, will see offers when I wake up / I will let this trade sit for (hours/days/week) until I see something I like)

• Go Shopping aka Just Absurd (i.e - Come shop at my scroll and let me know what I can breed for you!)

However, when a trade is posted with specific wants and I offer on what is wanted, I would at least expect a shorter waiting period. Sure, some people may come up with better offer so it is perfectly fine to just decline mine. I wish that this suggestion could be implemented so trading can become enjoyable and not a hair pulling / head desking / face palming / body slamming experience. tongue.gif

However, when a trade is posted with specific wants and I offer on what is wanted, I would at least expect a shorter waiting period. Sure, some people may come up with better offer so it is perfectly fine to just decline mine. I wish that this suggestion could be implemented so trading can become enjoyable and not a hair pulling / head desking / face palming / body slamming experience. tongue.gif

Agreed. If someone asks for something specific they should take it. I once offered on a trade that said a Black egg was auto, and I offered one and then the person posted the trade again later and said that they'd gotten an offer for one, so now they wanted to see if they could get two...which would be auto. I think sometimes the meaning of "auto" is not clear to everyone.

Needless to say I cancelled my offer. laugh.gif

If people have a list of things that they'd like, then I understand if one might be more preferable that the others or they might like one combination more than the next, but it's annoying to for someone to say "I want X" and then not take X.

I do not post often, but I feel the need to chime in to this. I've ended up leaving trades up longer because either people cannot read or don't care to take the time to do so. The last couple of months I've not received hardly any offers of what I ask for, but what people feel like offering. I've taken to bumping threads just to get an offer that is acceptable because the other problem I run in to is people offering hatchies for eggs with no egg room to take a trade. I am not one of those people asking for unrealistic things either so I just don't get it. It is very frustrating for me and makes me want to really not post on trade threads anymore.

I do not post often, but I feel the need to chime in to this. I've ended up leaving trades up longer because either people cannot read or don't care to take the time to do so. The last couple of months I've not received hardly any offers of what I ask for, but what people feel like offering. I've taken to bumping threads just to get an offer that is acceptable because the other problem I run in to is people offering hatchies for eggs with no egg room to take a trade. I am not one of those people asking for unrealistic things either so I just don't get it. It is very frustrating for me and makes me want to really not post on trade threads anymore.

I have also be on this side of the fence so, yes I also understand this kind of frustration. In this case, I really doubt the people who offered on your trades would want an immediate reaction and will not mind waiting to see if they can just *get lucky*. I am sure you will decline unreasonable offers and not keep them waiting. I have read on another thread though that there are people who will not decline and let their trade offer *hang* as a kind of punishment for not reading trades. tongue.gif

However, when a trade is posted with specific wants and I offer on what is wanted, I would at least expect a shorter waiting period.

When someone offers what I've actually asked for, I usually accept that offer very quickly. smile.gif It just happens so rarely that I have to note "This trade will likely be open for a few days to allow offers to accumulate". Meaning valid offers.

Sometimes I'll take other fair offers if what I've asked for isn't forthcoming, but I like to at least wait and see if I can get what I've actually asked for. I've had cases where waiting one or two days resulted in someone actually giving me a valid offer. Which, given I'm working on completion right now, is important to me. tongue.gif

—T.

I have also be on this side of the fence so, yes I also understand this kind of frustration. In this case, I really doubt the people who offered on your trades would want an immediate reaction and will not mind waiting to see if they can just *get lucky*. I am sure you will decline unreasonable offers and not keep them waiting. I have read on another thread though that there are people who will not decline and let their trade offer *hang* as a kind of punishment for not reading trades. tongue.gif

Yes, I do decline. I've had a rash of people make the same offer I've declined multiple times, but I also put a line in my posts if I'm going to end up waiting an amount of time before I decide. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I do try to be as up front as possible if that is going to happen. I did not post in defense of anyone in particular, just to say sometimes life happens.

But I think some of it has to do with the upswing in Coppers and Blusangs.  More people are catching these and still thinking that they're ultra-rares (and Coppers are still rare, but they are visibly increasing and there's little reason to think that trend will stop). 

I'm not sure if that's a good strategy right now.  The longer they hold the trade, the more people are going to see those eggs in the cave, in the trade threads, and being remarked on in forum discussions.

But...how do we know they're *not* still rares? And what makes you feel that the current increase in their numbers trend will not stop? (just curious)

I'm skeptical. To me, they're still rares. (I know the coppers aren't supposed to be classified as rare and all that but I call hokey, lol) I don't think a week or so of increased numbers suddenly make them not rare. I just look back to the cycles over the years of CB Metals dropping like flies, then drought for several consecutive months (including even bred metals) then back to the so-so appearance in cave. Regardless of any sudden increase in drops, they're still rares.

I dunno. This whole rare/not rare/only temporarily rare classification stuff confuses the heck out of me. laugh.gif *Shrug*

But...how do we know they're *not* still rares? And what makes you feel that the current increase in their numbers trend will not stop? (just curious)

I'm skeptical. To me, they're still rares. (I know the coppers aren't supposed to be classified as rare and all that but I call hokey, lol) I don't think a week or so of increased numbers suddenly make them not rare. I just look back to the cycles over the years of CB Metals dropping like flies, then drought for several consecutive months (including even bred metals) then back to the so-so appearance in cave. Regardless of any sudden increase in drops, they're still rares.

I dunno. This whole rare/not rare/only temporarily rare classification stuff confuses the heck out of me. laugh.gif *Shrug*

I don't know if you just mean Coppers or Coppers and Blusangs, so I'll explain what I meant with both and you can skip the useless bits. xd.png

Blusangs - The Blusangs are having a bit of a population explosion. I was in the Coast for an hour drop and in that initial 30 second - 1 minute flurry I saw 5 go by. Adding to that, the trade threads and fansites are filled with CBs, when a couple of months ago I actually combed through thousands of eggs/hatchlings in hatcheries and found 1.

Personally, I think that Blusangs will, eventually, settle into uncommonish territory. Clearly there's an increase in drop rate, but I think that even if the upswing is really large it will be countered by a few things that keep their value up:

1. They're widely considered a beautiful sprite

2. They're part of that core group of first Shimmer lines that were bred which means that there will be an ongoing need for them in Shimmer breeding

3. Because the Blusangs disappeared they haven't really been used in too many large-scale lineage projects. A lot of people make metallic checkers with them, but because of the metals involved, those tend to be more individual projects. As the population rises I think we'll see those projects start and then Blusangs will get snapped up for those.

4. Perception of rarity often lingers. The "Missing Spring" a few years ago still has people convinced that CB Seasonals are rare and they're not really. There are folks who still see Stripes as, not rare, but more uncommon than is keeping with the fact that they're edging towards blocking the Forest.

I'm not writing Blusangs off as commons or anything. But we know that they can't be, in the grand scheme of things and temporary aberrations aside, truly rare because they only drop in one biome. And I think we've definitely passed the time where people were talking metal trades for them. Because even during the metal boom earlier this year, metals didn't start dropping like this. I think that in a few months, after some ratio re-balancing, they'll end up in a more sustainable uncommon state.

Coppers - I think that Coppers are going to be an interesting case. But here's my thinking behind the current upswing and why I think it will continue:

The lack of Coppers has been real and it's been an anomaly. And we know both those things because there were too many people reporting the lack of them for it just to be slow people not seeing them, and TJ apparently let the spriter know that it was okay to let us know they were supposed to be something along the lines of uncommon, which means they should have at least been visible.

So their initial numbers were never normal, and even if it took quite a while eventually their numbers were going to increase. And while the cave may abruptly start pouring eggs out or suddenly cut them off, it doesn't tend to do so for something like the span of only a week. Even the metal boom was extended over months. So even if there's a swell of Coppers that then pulls back some, there's going to be an upswing that will be identifiable. I haven't even hunted all this much this last week and I caught two, so we know A. the increase is there, B. it's supposed to be there, and C. that there doesn't seem to be anything that would suggest it will only last a few days.

Which doesn't mean I think that they won't be rare, only that I don't think they'll continue to be ultra-rare.

Like I said, the spriter said that TJ told her that it was okay to let us know that Coppers were somewhere around uncommon territory. But TJ also said that Papers were uncommon. So suppose for a moment that Coppers had a similar drop rate. They'd technically be uncommon, but they're considered metallics (although I would suggest the lesser of the three even though the sprite is to die for) and they also wouldn't have the limitations that Papers have of being unbreedable. So they would get snapped up at a rate that would mark them as rares for most people.

I don't think that the value of Coppers is just going to drop away. However, I think that the desperation will begin to level off. Because one of the things that propels our economy here is hope. If people believe that they can eventually get something, even if they can't get it now, prices fall a bit. That happened with ND as more and more people figured out how to turn them, and it's happening with Hollies higher than 2nd gen. Every post in the "Have you seen a Copper" thread that confirms a sighting and every trade post offering a Copper gives people one more reason to stop panicking, even if their personal chances of getting a Copper haven't really gone up in a noticeable way.

Again, to me the big key here in predicting that an increase in Copper stays around for a while is that we know that their initial drop rates were abnormal. So it's not like when we have steady metal numbers, then a boom, then a rebound drought. This is a case where the upswing is the actual correction as opposed to a boom. The rate they were falling before was Gold rarity times 10. Since there's no evidence to support that as their intentional drop rate, and there is evidence against it, the upswing may end up not being huge, but it has to be sustained because whatever ends up being their "normal" state, the past rate of falling isn't it.

Having said all of that, I freely admit that I don't actually know anything for certain, this is all speculation, and that everything I say (and probably not just in relation to DC) should be taken with a whole shaker of salt because I've had days where I'm wrong 11 out of 10 times. laugh.gif

I have a tendency to just want to get rid of an egg if I've got it up for trade, so I tend to not go for more than a day without selecting an offer (assuming I get offers, which doesn't always happen). I always decline offers I definitely won't accept promptly, as well as ones that I likely won't accept based on better offers. It's just common courtesy to free people's trades so they can offer elsewhere.

It drives me nuts when people hold onto my offers for days on end, especially if I'm holding an egg slot open in the even they pick mine. And yes, I do cancel my offer if I either see another trade I can offer on or if they repost their trade despite the fact that I offered something they're asking for. The only time I bother leaving an offer for days is when I literally have nothing else I can do with that offer.

While I haven't been on the end of a trade that lasted for days, I've had offers held for a couple of hours. Which is protocol in most trades, so I'm not complaining.

However, I think when that happens, its because people are expecting a much-better-offer-than-I-currently-have. Personally, I think a trade should just be an exchange where two people get what they are looking for, not an attempt to climb and get more out of it. I've seen people offering 8th gen prizes asking for 2nd gens, trading 4th gen shimmers but saying they won't accept any bigger than 3rd gen, have 2x GWs and will ONLY accept 2x CB Golds for them, etc.

For my trades, I dare say they never last for more than a couple of hours - the longest is a day or two (and thats because I had to be away from the computer, or had no internet access). I've had trades last for one minute, because when I ask for things, I actually WANT them, and will accept right away if I see it. I avoid trades that simply say "I just want offers!" under their "Want:" like the plague, because I'd rather not play the guessing game.

Although, I do sympathize with the newer members having to compete in a community where a lot of people have already established their presence.

What would I normally have to give to someone to get a chicken?

Edited by gollark9

Seriously, if you don't want to wait, withdraw your offer.

What would I normally have to give to someone to get a chicken?

Chickens are all over the place as far as trade value goes. Some people (like me) would let them go cheap because we don't really need more chickens. Other people hoard them and offer some pretty nice things for them.

Best bet is to find people who have an offer up and check to see if they have a wish list in their profile, see if there is anything there you can do.

GW, red dorsal, tan ridgewing, thunder, would probably get one, maybe a couple of BSA hatchies, or something with an unusually pretty lineage. Other than that give it your best shot and hope for the best.

While I haven't been on the end of a trade that lasted for days, I've had offers held for a couple of hours. Which is protocol in most trades, so I'm not complaining.

However, I think when that happens, its because people are expecting a much-better-offer-than-I-currently-have. Personally, I think a trade should just be an exchange where two people get what they are looking for, not an attempt to climb and get more out of it. I've seen people offering 8th gen prizes asking for 2nd gens, trading 4th gen shimmers but saying they won't accept any bigger than 3rd gen, have 2x GWs and will ONLY accept 2x CB Golds for them, etc.

For my trades, I dare say they never last for more than a couple of hours - the longest is a day or two (and thats because I had to be away from the computer, or had no internet access). I've had trades last for one minute, because when I ask for things, I actually WANT them, and will accept right away if I see it. I avoid trades that simply say "I just want offers!" under their "Want:" like the plague, because I'd rather not play the guessing game.

Although, I do sympathize with the newer members having to compete in a community where a lot of people have already established their presence.

Well the longest I've been was just for a day and still am waiting on that person. I have no clue how people can get a CB Metallic and hold onto it all the way until it only has a day left to trade for it with other tempting offers on it already. ._.

I tend to avoid "offers" as well because there's just not much I can offer being a new member. As for me trading I'm just the same, I will usually accept it right away unless I'm kind of feeling iffy about it. As for the newer members thing I think I can speak for them currently. I have noticed quite a few things. If I dare post offer on any of my trades that should get me *a* CB Metallic (neglecteds & other CB Metallics for swaps) I will be offered just a few (sometimes even one) common hatchling that may even be MESSY. Even when I say "Please don't take advantage of me for being new" they still lowball me. Sometimes they'll even PM you and give you a long paragraph on how it's fair (and hell sometimes it's really convincing and I'm not so sure myself LOL) when it's not. xd.png As for IOUs I've noticed you're going to ignored if you're a newbie on forums, but that I can't complain too much about. I understand that part, but still sucks for any newbie coming in here.

Only a small amount of the time when I say offers I actually don't know what they're worth and know what they're not and not sure if I could get anything that I'm looking for them so I don't want to look like I'm asking for anything that's way more priced than it because that makes me look bad. dry.gif

Well the longest I've been was just for a day and still am waiting on that person. I have no clue how people can get a CB Metallic and hold onto it all the way until it only has a day left to trade for it with other tempting offers on it already. ._.

I tend to avoid "offers" as well because there's just not much I can offer being a new member. As for me trading I'm just the same, I will usually accept it right away unless I'm kind of feeling iffy about it. As for the newer members thing I think I can speak for them currently. I have noticed quite a few things. If I dare post offer on any of my trades that should get me *a* CB Metallic (neglecteds & other CB Metallics for swaps) I will be offered just a few (sometimes even one) common hatchling that may even be MESSY. Even when I say "Please don't take advantage of me for being new" they still lowball me. Sometimes they'll even PM you and give you a long paragraph on how it's fair (and hell sometimes it's really convincing and I'm not so sure myself LOL) when it's not. xd.png As for IOUs I've noticed you're going to ignored if you're a newbie on forums, but that I can't complain too much about. I understand that part, but still sucks for any newbie coming in here.

Only a small amount of the time when I say offers I actually don't know what they're worth and know what they're not and not sure if I could get anything that I'm looking for them so I don't want to look like I'm asking for anything that's way more priced than it because that makes me look bad.  dry.gif

Honestly, it's not just you that gets that kind of offer. Partly it's because value is subjective and partly it's because people will try and get a good thing for cheap. Maybe some people are taking the piss, sure, but others may not *have* anything else and offer anyway in the hope that someone will take pity and trade with them. I would tend to look rather askance at people who send PMs to justify why you shouldn't receive a fair offer on your trades, though. :/

The problem with old vs. new player trading is that older players have had lots of time to set scroll goals and then reach them. Thus, while a Blusang (for example) might be a rare and exciting thing for a new player, for an older player who has all the Blusangs they need right now, they're going to be unwilling to part with anything too costly to get yet another Blusang that they could probably catch themselves, unless they happen to really love the sprite or they're trying to build an army or they want to do some special lineage. This leaves newer players trading between each other, and that does suck because this game takes some time to get good and fast at, so other new players don't often have exciting stuff to trade. I'm not sure if there's a quick solution for this, though, other than "win a raffle".

I also tend to avoid putting "Offers" on my trades these days unless I genuinely don't know what something might be worth to someone else (e.g., bred Royal Crimson with perfect name code - seriously, what would you ask for?) or I really don't care what I'm offered. Otherwise, there has to be some idea what I want or randomness ensues.

Edited by Amazon_warrior