calligogo123

gas station bathrooms

I went on a trip to Europe with a summer camp program a few years back. We became well acquainted with gas station and rest stop bathrooms. They were extremely hygenic.

The staff were somewhat less pleasant... but I can't blame 'em. I don't think anyone would appreciate fifty high schoolers storming through on their shift. Particularly when none of us spoke a word of Danish...

I went on a trip to Europe with a summer camp program a few years back. We became well acquainted with gas station and rest stop bathrooms. They were extremely hygenic.

The staff were somewhat less pleasant... but I can't blame 'em. I don't think anyone would appreciate fifty high schoolers storming through on their shift. Particularly when none of us spoke a word of Danish...

That may have had more to do with you being American than anything else. Especially if you were pulling the classic 'American Tourist' trick of speaking English very loudly at people, because obviously volume will help them understand rolleyes.gif

I will say, though, that I've rarely seen public toilets in teh UK that are as bad as some of the one you guys are describing. Festival toilets, yes, but not regular ones. And you kind of expect it at a festival - low numbers of toilets for large numbers of people will do that.

I will say, though, that I've rarely seen public toilets in teh UK that are as bad as some of the one you guys are describing. Festival toilets, yes, but not regular ones. And you kind of expect it at a festival - low numbers of toilets for large numbers of people will do that.

Same here- I actually have seen practically none of the horrors you described over here. Not in malls, not in terminals, museums, restaurants or the air-stations. I don't recall using one in actual gas-station lately... But I doubt those are that much worse than those of other local public places.

Even the festival ones I've been to have been tolerable for the most part... The smell in a few has been horrible, though.

Actually, though, I haven't really gotten any "out of the ordinary" washrooms at gas stations yet. xd.png But I have seen swear words all over the place.

Edited by dragonryaman

Ugh, I hate public toilets.  I won't sit on a public toilet seat.  When I have to go in public I just hover over the seat a pray that I don't drip on myself.  I stopped at a gas station somewhere in the New Mexico desert last summer while on a road trip.  When I went inside, I was greeted with the worst smell ever and the walls of the stall were smeared with poo. wacko.gif  Needless to say, I held it for nearly 2 hours until I found a McDonalds with much cleaner bathrooms.

I hope you wipe the seat when you're done, just in case. Because if you don't, you're the cause of your own problem.

Remember guys, urine is sterile. Its main ingredient is urea, derived from ammonia by the body. It's not toxic unless something in your body is adding something toxic to it, and the only bacteria in it are the bacteria that it encounters right at the end of its journey out of your body.

Edited by Lythiaren

Exactly what I do. I never use gas station bathrooms. Though my school's bathrooms are just... Yeah. A couple of scribbles, paper over the floor. Not that bad, 'cept sometimes people don't flush.

Your school bathrooms are only that bad? My old school's bathrooms were horrible. feces smeared everywhere, no-one ever flushed, the works, so I never, ever, ever use public bathrooms because of that(except for one coffee shop's, it was so clean in there it was freaky).

Yeah, I hate it when people graffiti all over the walls. <.<

Converesly I love it, due to some of the brilliant things you find in there.

I'm germaphobic. So you can probably determine my stance on public restrooms for yourselves. xd.png

Today I visited the cinema. This particular establishment has built up great trust in me over the years concerning the issue of sanitation. However, when I walked into the bathroom last afternoon--and there's no gentle way to put this--it smelled like someone had literally defecated in the sinks.

Mhm

I hate it to use public toilets too >-<

its awful and i wil get sick if i

sit on a Toilet!

I wait until i'm at home

to go to toilet there smile.gif

I hate using public restrooms in general. I feel so uncomfortable, like I'm being watched. I don't mind public bathrooms meant for one person at a time, though.

Also, why is everything always wet? When I use the ladies room, the areas around sinks (counter tops, floors, mirrors, walls ...) are almost always drenched in water and have pieces of damp papertowel everywhere. It's so messy.

I hate using public restrooms in general. I feel so uncomfortable, like I'm being watched. I don't mind public bathrooms meant for one person at a time, though.

Also, why is everything always wet? When I use the ladies room, the areas around sinks (counter tops, floors, mirrors, walls ...) are almost always drenched in water and have pieces of damp papertowel everywhere. It's so messy.

Agreed, Every bathroom i have ever used (except for at home lol) IS SOAKING WET!

And as for being watched i was in the bathroom and this woman kept peering in cracks of the doors...checking if they were empty ninja.gifblink.gif

Disturbing?

Another time in a gas-station i went in and every bad word under the moon was written on the walls. unsure.gif

Mhm

I hate it to use public toilets too >-<

its awful and i wil get sick if i

sit on a Toilet!

I wait until i'm at home

to go to toilet there smile.gif

You are very very unlikely to get sick from simply sitting on a toilet. Most bacteria found on one would be stuff that our bum is already well equipped to fight off. :|

I don't understand people who are merely afraid of germs (short of phobias, since they're unusual by definition) and take such great leaps to avoid them, like a single germ will kill you. This is what your immune system is for, isn't it? :x

I mean when it's really gross, yeah I understand. But if it looks clean and smells clean, give it a wipe and just sit down.

Edited by Lythiaren

Agreed, Every bathroom i have ever used (except for at home lol) IS SOAKING WET!

And as for being watched i was in the bathroom and this woman kept peering in cracks of the doors...checking if they were empty  ninja.gif  blink.gif

Disturbing?

Another time in a gas-station i went in and every bad word under the moon was written on the walls.  unsure.gif

Yeek, that does sound creepy ...

I also hate when people lock the doors from the inside then crawl out and leave it like that. This happened throughout school, all the time.

Also, I haven't read through this thread, but has anyone been guilty of using the wide, handicap stall ... without being handicapped? I've done this a few times. Eheh ... ;^^

I'm germaphobic. So you can probably determine my stance on public restrooms for yourselves. xd.png

Today I visited the cinema. This particular establishment has built up great trust in me over the years concerning the issue of sanitation. However, when I walked into the bathroom last afternoon--and there's no gentle way to put this--it smelled like someone had literally defecated in the sinks.

What is a cinema?

Yeek, that does sound creepy ...

I also hate when people lock the doors from the inside then crawl out and leave it like that. This happened throughout school, all the time.

Also, I haven't read through this thread, but has anyone been guilty of using the wide, handicap stall ... without being handicapped? I've done this a few times. Eheh ... ;^^

I'm Guilty...mostly when all the other stalls are full blink.gif

I've done it even if other stalls aren't taken ... I don't do it anymore though, I mainly did it in school when I wanted to be far away from the open bathroom entry door.

Edit: I'm relieved I've never had any awkward, "an actual handicapped person is waiting for you to get out of their stall" moments. I'd be slightly embarassed. lol

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

I must be pretty luck my family takes an annual car trip up to Maine from our home in Indiana and I have yet to see a perticulay gross gas station bathroom

I have smell a few foul ones but that cant be blamed on the bathroom itself

I have also seen graffiti but only names written in sharpie really..

I guess the closest to a truly gross one was

was a rest stop (the kind that is a gas station several fast food shops and a lame gift shop rolled together) one of the toilets was busted and there was potty water over about 25% of the floor (but at least there was someone working on it)

oddly enough the best bathrooms over all are at Mcdonalds worst tend to be at the other kind of rest stop the kind that are just an info booth and vending machines (I am looking at you Pennsylvania, new jersey and new york) because they tend to be clean but missing stuff like toilet paper or towels or have broken stuff

Edit: on a side thought the other day I saw pocket lysol sanitizer (the stuff used to clean bathrooms/kitchens not hand sanitizer) for sale I though it was funny and only a total hypochondriac would buy that but looking back I suppose if you often ran in to gross bathrooms you might want it..

Edited by chickenhound

I had a dream where I went into a restroom but it heavily reeked of urine...

Oh wait, THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Yeah, one of the school bathrooms, namely in the gym.

On a outting to a statepark for a Savenger hunt in 8th grade. They had public bathrooms outside. I don't even know what they looked like you could smell Human extrument from HALF WAY ACROSS THE PARKING lot...

I held my nose and locked a guy inside of the men's (had a twenty on me and he was stupid) Cause I wanted someone to look inside

needless to say I got to keep the twenty poor guy bailed out , so did the door

I had a dream where I went into a restroom but it heavily reeked of urine...

Oh wait, THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Yeah, one of the school bathrooms, namely in the gym.

Our school gym bathrooms REEK of that.

I am actually not that iffy about public bathrooms. They're fine as long as people know how to keep them clean... But the place I used to work at here in town had an awful bathroom. I offered to clean it, but they said no it was someone else's job. The locks, yes two, didn't work, and there was muck and grime all over the mirror, they hardly ever restocked the toilet paper, and when the door was open/when someone walked in, the camera could see into the bathroom. -shivers- I hated using that bathroom.

There was, however, a beautiful public bathroom in a thrift store once, it was clean, and decorated to look like a home bathroom, with warm colors and patterns. I want to model my bathroom after that one, it felt so comfy.

Ever since I was old enough to talk and read very little but somewhat I just did not like public bathrooms. First of all because how dirty and disghusting they are. Second of all (I sound like such a censorkip.gif** when I tell people this) I feel like something is going to crawl out of the little hole at the bottom and like eat me or somthing. I'd have to say the worst gas station bathroom I've ever been to (or well experience I should say) was when I was on a trip to Oklahoma. Me, my mom,and my dad stopped at a gas station and after being trapped in a car for say I don't know 8 hours strait with nothing to do but drink nice large mello yellos from the last stop you need to pee at the next one. I immedeatly jumpped out of the car when we stopped and ran strait to the bathroom. There was a few terribal words on the walls and some toilet paper and stuff like that on the floor and 1 stall/toilet cause well one person at a time in that bathroom you could say and right when I sat down one of the workers there barged in on me and I was really embaressed and felt just so..., how do I word this? Ummm...... well like I had been innapropreatly seen. (not to mention I actually was) So now I deffinatly DO NOT LIKE PUBLIC BATHROOMS!!!