calligogo123

gas station bathrooms

I only use gas station bathrooms if it's an immediate emergency.

My worst bathroom experience though had to be a diner in Manhattan. The walls were about 17 different colors from terrible paint jobs, graffiti on every corner, mysterious brown smudges on the walls and (dare I say it) a bullet hole in the wall by the sinks.

That'll freak the hell out of any 7 year old kid.

I mean damn. I was used to NYC sanitation but that was awful. :|

I only use gas station bathrooms on road trips, and that's only if I really need to.

The worst bathroom experience I've had though was at sixth grade camp. The girls cabin had apparantly been used by boys before we got there, and there was writing and pictures all over the walls about the stuff they saw when the peeked in on the girls cabin. Seeing as we were quite sheltered sixth grade girls, that was a bit creepy... Some people even hung their dirty clothes in front of the windows because they were scared the guys would look in.

Recently I went to a gas station restroom and it was quite nice. Although, there was a Subway and a McDonald's attached to the normal gas station store, so it's probably expected that the bathrooms would be a little nicer than most. Anyway, what sticks out in my mind is the little poem that someone had carved into the toilet paper holder:

"If you love your man

please have some class

Don't write his name

where you wipe your *** "

"Since writing on the toilet wall is done neither for financial award nor personal acclaim, it must be the highest form of art."

"Why do so many people sh*t with pens?"

"Because we're in a university."

My two fav bits of graffiti from the loos at Uni.

Not quite public, but one of the girls bathrooms at schools just happens to smell exactly like the monkey house at the zoo.

I don't even remember going to gas station bathrooms, though I do remember doing a number on a movie theater bathroom.

Stomach bug caught from my cousin, end of a movie, I couldn't hold the puke in

It was lovely

Felt bad for the guy cleaning it

I actually have some minor problems with my bladder, so I need to use the washroom a few times a day. There's a gas station near my house, so if I have to go when I get off the bus, I use theirs. Never had any issues there, it's always pretty clean. The room itself is usually cold and their dispenser likes to suck the paper towels back into it so I have to use the little dial, but that's really not a big deal. They don't mind me using it and leaving without buying anything, and sometimes I do buy something on my way out. *shrug*

The washrooms that gross me out the most are actually the ones at my university. Seriously, half the time there's piss on the seat. In the ladies' washroom. Whenever I see it, I actually make a point to pull out my pencil and write on the door, "STOP PISSING ON THE SEAT." =_=

And you know what? The great irony of that is that the people who do it are the people who are afraid of bacteria and/or piss getting on their butts. They're causing the very problem they're trying to avoid. Just wipe the freaking seat before you sit on it, yeesh.

I don't think I've had terrible experience with gas station/public restrooms aside from the smell and the occasional unflushed toilet. I tend not to pay attention to writings on the stall walls because I don't use public restrooms to read. And I've also worked with infants and toddlers, so messes don't disgust me as much as they used to.

When I do use gas station restrooms, I like to use the large, truck gas stations (or OnCue and QT out in Oklahoma) because they tend to keep the restrooms in order and clean. They would have to with all the truckers that go in and out of those places everyday.

I also clean the restrooms at work. The worse I had to do was clean off urine from the rim (fortunately, only one toilet in each of the restrooms) and empty the 'prize box' of the woman's restroom. However, my coworker had to clean up after a child who had just lost a tooth. According to her and my boss, the child lost the tooth at the register and dripped blood from there to the restroom where the blood gushed. Glad I didn't have to do that cleaning job. But I'm sure my day is coming.

The thing that annoy me about public restrooms: why can't people flush the toilet when they are done? Is it really that hard? Do you not flush the toilet in your own home?

The thing that annoy me about public restrooms: why can't people flush the toilet when they are done? Is it really that hard? Do you not flush the toilet in your own home?

Which is worse: a person who doesn't flush, or doesn't wash their hands?

Maybe this is required in all restrooms?

I only use gas station bathrooms if it's an immediate emergency.

My worst bathroom experience though had to be a diner in Manhattan. The walls were about 17 different colors from terrible paint jobs, graffiti on every corner, mysterious brown smudges on the walls and (dare I say it) a bullet hole in the wall by the sinks.

That'll freak the hell out of any 7 year old kid.

I mean damn. I was used to NYC sanitation but that was awful. :|

Makes you wonder about the standard of hygiene around the food. If they don't care that their toilets are more unhygienic than a sewer, who's to say they care about the standard of hygiene in their kitchens.

Ah, how did I forget my recent train journey? I took a train up North to see Amerylis - the toilet on board didn't flush, so it had four hours worth of pee and tissues blocking it.

Four days later I took the same train home - the same toilet was still blocked. A toilet half-full of wee-soaked tissues? Nomnomnom.

Yes, I still used it.

A person who doesn't flush is pretty bad, unless the toilet's not working properly and they didn't realize it.

It's weird, most places don't have food that would make you barf that much. But looking at the public restrooms in there... ew.

Maybe people are afraid of bacteria multiplying on the toilet paper. But seriously... I have to agree, if you're afraid of germs on the seat then actually wipe it with toilet paper or just put some down on it before using it. Do not use something as a urinal if it isn't one.

I haven't really had that many experiences, but the only thing worse than stains covering the walls and the ceiling are spitballs. Humongous wads of them. And this was at school when I was a lot younger, so I guess you can call it public. *shudders*

That's it... make it a law to clean up public restrooms even if they aren't dirty with anything but words written all over the walls and bathrooms. And make the people who own those do it.

Maybe this is required in all restrooms?

I'd print that out and paste it on the boys bathroom if it weren't for the fact that

1. The boys I go to school with are idiots.

2. I'd get suspended. For a long while.

Most of our school restroom prolem are from the boys. Girls have a share of the problems, but mainly the boys.

Edited by Ryuu2

In one small time in my life, i loved gas station bathrooms. This is when we were in Yosemite where the bathrooms were disgusting. It was dark, smelled, ton of flies, and of course, the toilet had a hole in it instead of water if you know what i mean.

The toilet was on top of a deep hole with tons of flies flying out of it when you go near it.

My dad went inside a porta potty when we went to a small beach and he said it was better then those bathrooms blink.gif.

Ick, I'm leaning more towards not washing hands *shudder* At least the stuff in the toilet isn't on the handle that everyone uses. My dad has actually left restaurants because he noticed an employee didn't wash his hands after going to the restroom.

People who don't flush. The stuff sits there, and often makes the area stink. Also, I have a weak stomach, so I am more likely to go to the next stall than stand that close to flush it. People not washing their hands really doesn't bother me that much. Germaphobia honestly irritates me more.

Ewwww, I hate actual little gas (or petrol as we say in UK) station toilets but the huge service station ones aren't that bad

All this talk of restaurant bathrooms has reminded me

During free period last year one guy went to use the bathroom. He comes out and remarks "There are donuts in the sink"

Another guy goes in and confirms it

After lunch period the donuts had disappeared, and weren't in the trash.

wat

You guys think those are bad then I have two words for you. Festival. Toilets.

Now don't get me wrong - some festivals have toilets that are kept quite nicely (Beautiful Days being one). Many on the other hand... you're lucky if it's a porta-loo they clean out once a day. The worst one was at Download in '06. The toilets were, I kid you not, a big metal container (think shipping container) with a row of stalls above it. The thing wasn't emptied for the entire five days we were there, and the heat that summer was up to around 100 degrees. You almost needed a gas mask to use the damned things by then end of it!

You guys think those are bad then I have two words for you. Festival. Toilets.

Now don't get me wrong - some festivals have toilets that are kept quite nicely (Beautiful Days being one). Many on the other hand... you're lucky if it's a porta-loo they clean out once a day. The worst one was at Download in '06. The toilets were, I kid you not, a big metal container (think shipping container) with a row of stalls above it. The thing wasn't emptied for the entire five days we were there, and the heat that summer was up to around 100 degrees. You almost needed a gas mask to use the damned things by then end of it!

This^

Glastonbury'94. Unofficially the biggest Glastonbury ever (due to about 200,000 jumping the fences rather than pay the ticket price) at 250,000 people.

Around a couple of hundred portaloos for a quarter of a million people for 4 days. I cannot even begin to describe the smell and mess. The portaloos were not emptied and were full to overflowing after the first day. There was a couple of small blocks of military style latrines with the lime pit underneath the wooden plank with a hole in it which you sat on. In the 90F heat the smell (and flies) was overwhelming. No washing facilities other than the few standpipes in each field which always had huge queues for fresh water.

It was enough to make me lose my faith in humanity (and use the woods for a dump).

The toilet was on top of a deep hole with tons of flies flying out of it when you go near it.

My dad went inside a porta potty when we went to a small beach and he said it was better then those bathrooms blink.gif.

It's because they don't care to make a lid for the toilet hole. :|

That said, outside toilets with no water, just a hole in a bench are quite common in the countryside in my country. They're not really that bad, if the owner cares to have a lid on it and if it's generally clean above the glory hole.

Ugh, the horror of festival/city event toilets. Really, on one local night event I just discreetly went to take a dump in the bushes of a park because I didn't want to face what could await me in the portable cabins.

While it's not quite a loo, while we're on the subject of camping I did have one drunk decide he needed to go for a number two but couldn't make it to the toilet in time. So he squatted next to the tent and let rip - this is after throwing up all over the entrance to the tent. Thankfully although my tent was about 5m away, at least he did it on the other side of the tent.