TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Frankly, I totally decorated for myself and I'm willing to take the hit on judging if it comes to that.

If there weren't a prize at stake, that's the approach I would have taken too. But this is my only chance ever to get a CB of those prize dragons. I'm not going to waste my chance by making a tree that I like if it means compromising my chances at winning one of those dragons.

Having said that, I do like my tree. A lot.

But I think the highest ranked trees are most likely going to be trees that are lulzy at first glance. No, I don't have any proof of this. But that's what I think is going to happen. I just hope my tree is sufficiently lulzy.

Edited by Renorei

I've no problem waiting two weeks for the results, the 20th is my birthday. If I at least get an honorable mention then I can consider it a birthday present from the Cave. biggrin.gif Not that I will, I'm just saying.

Edited by Lightstorm12000

I'm using the gold/silver dragons...I couldn't resist, shinnny xd.png

Me too. They showed up on the last day and my eyes nearly popped.

If there weren't a prize at stake, that's the approach I would have taken too. But this is my only chance ever to get a CB of those prize dragons. I'm not going to waste my chance by making a tree that I like if it means compromising my chances at winning one of those dragons.

But I think the highest ranked trees are most likely going to be trees that are lulzy at first glance. No, I don't have any proof of this. But that's what I think is going to happen. I just hope my tree is sufficiently lulzy.

Yeah, I did make mine mostly to appeal to me (in hopes that most of the people judging my tree will have similar taste), but I also took into account what other people would like. There was one design I really liked, but I decided against it because it was really girly, and I figured that would hurt my chances with any male judges (and I know I would have at least one male judge, since TJ is judging the finalists.) My current design isn't totally masculine, but it's not nearly as girly as before.

I didn't really go for lulzy, though; I went for pretty/elegant. It's something I think will make a good impression without extra explanation or naming, though.

I wonder if it would be possible to see what our scores are while the judging is going on? It'd probably be better for it to just be a big surprise, but I'd love to see how people were rating my tree. c:

It's not like we can change them after the contest starts, anyways.

If there weren't a prize at stake, that's the approach I would have taken too.  But this is my only chance ever to get a CB of those prize dragons.  I'm not going to waste my chance by making a tree that I like if it means compromising my chances at winning one of those dragons. 

Having said that, I do like my tree.  A lot.

But I think the highest ranked trees are most likely going to be trees that are lulzy at first glance.  No, I don't have any proof of this.  But that's what I think is going to happen.  I just hope my tree is sufficiently lulzy.

I think it's a good strategy. Like I said, not foolproof, but there are certainly things that seem to be popular trends and taking advantage of that isn't a bad idea. Nothing wrong in playing this to win.

It's going to be interesting to look at all the winners when this is over and get an idea of what people's tastes. If nothing else, it will be good info in case we do this again next year.

I think that's what's going to happen too, the funniest trees will probably win.

That said, I didn't make my tree funny whatsoever. Every christmas when my mom decorates the tree, it looks awful. It's just a jumble of random misplaced ornaments and hyperactive blinking rainbow lights of different sizes and blink-rates. I don't have a great eye, and I'm not creative, so the chances of me winning are pretty much zero. So I suppose I gave up on the contest and decided to not appeal to the DC public at all and just finally get to decorate and have MY tree that I've always wanted.

I think that's what's going to happen too, the funniest trees will probably win.

That said, I didn't make my tree funny whatsoever. Every christmas when my mom decorates the tree, it looks awful. It's just a jumble of random misplaced ornaments and hyperactive blinking rainbow lights of different sizes and blink-rates. I don't have a great eye, and I'm not creative, so the chances of me winning are pretty much zero. So I suppose I gave up on the contest and decided to not appeal to the DC public at all and just finally get to decorate and have MY tree that I've always wanted.

My tree is a jumble with hyperactive lights but I like it. smile.gif I'm not creative at all but I did have fun. smile.gif

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered in advance:

How are we going to know who is participating in the contest and where we can find their trees? Is there going to be a thread or something that allows us to promote our tree? I mean, I'm pretty quiet here and I don't really know many people? How do I get my tree out there?

Thanks!

BDQ

NEVER MIND! rolleyes.gif

Edited by blackdragonqueen

that's so cool. To bad you can't get bright pinks they are my favorite dragon in the world

How are we going to know who is participating in the contest and where we can find their trees? Is there going to be a thread or something that allows us to promote our tree? I mean, I'm pretty quiet here and I don't really know many people? How do I get my tree out there?

Thanks!

BDQ

(I'm sorry again if this has been answered or if I completely missed the obvious. Thank you again}

We will not know whose tree we are voting on. So it is not a popularity contest, but a contest of who did the best job of decorating their tree. There is no need to worry about getting your tree out there and promoting it -- thank goodness!

I know the voting will be anonymous and such, but will we at least be able to see a count of how many people have voted on our tree? I don't even care about seeing what the votes *are*, but I'd like to know how many, because honestly I'm a little concerned that some trees might not get viewed/voted often enough. If there are so many trees....

edit: (also, i'm in the process of decorating my tree like ten different ways and taking screenshots, just so I can have them after the tree-decorating is frozen)

Edited by Marie19R

Thanks!

BDQ

(I'm sorry again if this has been answered or if I completely missed the obvious. Thank you again}

Voting will be completely anonymous (no one will know whose tree they are rating). There will probably be some sort of option on your account page similar to the review descriptions option only for reviewing trees and trees will be viewed/rated that way.

THANK YOU PURPLEHAZE AND RUBYSHOES! Now I feel much better and less stressed. wub.gif

Edit: Epp. Too big a font tongue.gif

Edited by blackdragonqueen

THANK YOU PURPLEHAZE AND RUBYSHOES! Now I feel much better and less stressed. wub.gif

Edit: Epp. Too big a font tongue.gif

Your welcome. smile.gif

TheDarkLatias - Nope. I'm not talented enough for that. smile.gif

Easy humour does seem to do the trick in these sort of contests.

But I agree, I'm not going to bother trying to please the crowd. I'm going to decorate the tree as suits my sense of aesthetics.

Thank you very much for the enjoyable event. This has been fun smile.gif

I really enjoyed learning about the little traditions too, enough that I had to find a spot for the pickle and potato. And being that this is DC, I had to find a spot for the TJ ornament and raptor. The pickle is nicely stashed. Find it if you can! xd.png

I just randomly decorated my tree with as much colour as I possibly can xd.png Silver & gold has taken over my tree.

I feel pretty good about my tree (except of course for the bothersome Western Dragon) even though I'm pretty sure I won't get far. The only thing I worry about is what if not enough people even see my tree? It'd put me at ease to know how voting will work, would it be like descriptions where you're shown a tree with Y/N or will you be shown a group of trees and you pick the best looking one? Yeah, I'm pretty jittery XP

Did anyone else make a "picture" on their tree with ornaments? xd.png

I did biggrin.gif I hope nobody else created the same design as me D:

I covered it in blinky lights.

Blinky light FTW!

I did too >_> Lol it's probably the same idea everyone else had...but that's okay! It will be fun to see it executed in different ways. happy.gif Good luck everyone!

Using the decors to make them into a pic wasn't easy to do. I just went with the regular traditional way but with a few kinks of my own.

I couldn't help but to keep working on my tree. I want it to be just right.

Anyone still urging to keep working on their tree?

Yes.

I think I'm suffering from blinky light OCD

xd.png

Wish there were bigger blinky lights!