TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I like the idea of annonymus participation and annonymus voting. That way, creativity will be judged, and not popularity among players of Dragon Cave.

Popularity Contests cannot be anonymous. So, since the decorating is anonymous, and the voting is anonymous, it is not a popularity contest.

Popularity contests revolve around voting for your friends. However, in this contest, you don't know which tree is your friend's. It is done anonymously. You don't know who you're voting for, and they don't know who voted for them.

A lot of people are getting tired of saying it. It's been posted repeatedly, it's even been posted by TJ himself. So, I'm bolding important aspects in the hope people will see it and understand it. Of course, five pages more in this discussion and someone else will end up saying "it's a popularity contest". If you guys think that anonymous voting makes it a popularity contest, then those are some messed up contests you've participated in. laugh.gif

Well, if I may be so bold to point out, "popularity contest" and "anonymous" are not actually mutually exclusive. Look at most high school homecoming elections. Sure they are "anonymous," in that the candidates will never know for sure who voted for them. But that doesn't make them any the less popularity contests.

The missing element here that keeps it from being a popularity contest is the ability to choose whose tree you are judging. If you have to go through thousands of trees to have a statistical likelihood of hitting your friend's, I'd say any benefit to having a strong network of potential voters is pretty much negated.

Good show.

I think it should work for voting as there is a page people go to and look through the tree. No names of the trees owners or anything and whichever tree someone feels looks the best is what they will vote for.

Did you even bother to read the first post? It's anonymous.

Yes I did, but I misunderstood that part.

I'm still not going to win though. It's just my luck.

TJ posted on page 6 or 7 of this thread the following:

"It's all anonymous. You don't know who you're voting for, and you don't know who voted for you. "

Well I guess it was silly of me to assume all of the information was on the first post.

But seriously, that's what I was going off of... would have been nice if TJ made a little edit to clarify that for people that aren't following every page of the thread.

Thanks for the added details about this contest happy.gif

Is anyone else getting a database error when trying to view their trees? It keeps happening to me. I'm using IE, don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the added details about this contest happy.gif

Is anyone else getting a database error when trying to view their trees? It keeps happening to me. I'm using IE, don't know if that makes a difference.

I get that a lot, usually a refresh or two lets me view my tree though.

I get that a lot, usually a refresh or two lets me view my tree though.

Oh sure, now that trick works xd.png Bother.

Thank you.

My tree has nothing on it...

I visited everyday but I don't want to decorate it untill I get all of the decorations on it, that way I can see what work and what doesn't^^

~Happy Xylr

Yeah, I'm not even trying to put the tree together until I see all of the ornaments we have to work with! I have a cool design in mind, but I need more of the little colored balls! xd.png If we don't get more, I'll improvise somehow...to see what it is, you'll have to look at the tree sideways! xd.png lol

Well, if I may be so bold to point out, "popularity contest" and "anonymous" are not actually mutually exclusive. Look at most high school homecoming elections. Sure they are "anonymous," in that the candidates will never know for sure who voted for them. But that doesn't make them any the less popularity contests.

The missing element here that keeps it from being a popularity contest is the ability to choose whose tree you are judging. If you have to go through thousands of trees to have a statistical likelihood of hitting your friend's, I'd say any benefit to having a strong network of potential voters is pretty much negated.

Good show.

Your comparison is completely invalid. You neither know who voted for you, nor who's tree you are voting for.

YOU ARE VOTING FOR A RANDOM TREE WITHOUT ANY SCROLL NAMES ATTACHED.

YOU DO NOT GET TO CHOOSE WHO'S TREE YOU ARE VOTING FOR.

Why can't people read?

I got data error for the first time this morning. It didn't take long to get sorted out.

It's all anonymous. You don't know who you're voting for, and you don't know who voted for you.

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING

GREAT

And a special thanks for answering the questions!

I just can't even begin to imagine all the work that has gone into making this new every day. New ornaments, new presents, blooming holly. Contest or not, I think this is just so nice.

Thank you

Well I guess it was silly of me to assume all of the information was on the first post.

But seriously, that's what I was going off of... would have been nice if TJ made a little edit to clarify that for people that aren't following every page of the thread.

Well, hopefully TJ will make that clear in the first post as soon as he has a moment he might have wasted on having a breather or something, lol.

Don't expect he's had one of those for a while, though I know we all hope he had a great Christmas and will have a fabulous new year celebration despite all of his labours.

But certainly, people wouldn't pick up on the fact that the actual voting is on trees with no means of ID of any kind without that being added to the appropriate section...

Heya, guys - give TJ a break. Let him enjoy his holiday TOO. Same goes for the sprites who made the artwork for Halloween and the winter holidays.

A lot of work went into setting Halloween up, then barely two months later, all this for the winter holidays.

That's in addition to having a real life out there. I'm amazed at how much was done. And actually set up a contest where it will be judged fairly - I'm freaking impressed with how that was set up - I can't even see any way to get "around" the anonymous factor and THAT is amazingly awesome.

Give the artists and TJ lots of applause! smile.gif

Y'know what I find funny about this whole contest?

People are getting all angry/frustrated/nervous... Over a punch of pixels.

I love dragcave and its sprites, spriters, and people who use it as much as the next person but guys, there is no reason to get butthurt over pixels.

/End rant

On another note... Does anyone know what those 3 red ribbon looking things on the tree are?

Oh good I'm not the only one!

Anyone know what's going on?

I think it has something to do with updating the tree with new ornaments. Refresh a few times. I find that it only does it the first time I view in a day, all other times, it's seamless. If refreshing doesn't work I would try a different browser. I'm using Safari and I only get the error the first time I use the tree each day. It works every other time.

Oh how delightful :3 well then I should be working on my tree then when I can get back to it. right now I am getting a page error

Good show.

Ah yes, but I am not talking about some little high school contest, I'm talking about this DC contest. No, the two terms are not mutually exclusive, but here, on DC, with this contest, they most certainly are.

Boo. Missed yesterday's decorations, thanks to Civ Revolution. What was added yesterday?

Yesterday, we got the following items:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Just in case you wanted to see the actual images.