TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

A great to know TJ.

Even though its more of a popularity contest I will probebly not win what so ever. It's fun to know they're all breedable.

Have you tried the direct link someone suggested ?

http://dragcave.net/tree (when you are logged in, of course...)

OOOH I just made an AMAZING discovery.... But I shan't share because I have decided to win.... biggrin.gif

Please do remember to tell us afterward - I'm sure I'm not the only one dying of curiosity, lol.

I hope we're going to get some sort of ... tinsel rope garland with no backing... that being the sort we always used when we used to bother with Christmas trees.

Perhaps it's just association, but I'd much prefer something like that.

I've tried it on both IE and Firefox. Cleared cookies, updated Flash Player, etc, but no dice. I refreshed for half an hour yesterday, but I really don't have the time to refresh for an hour every day.

Could the flashing lights be causing it (for me)? The page was slow to load but fine until I placed the flashing light string on the tree...

Have you tried safari? I just have to refresh twice to get it to work on my Mac. I think there's a download for windows on the apple website. smile.gif

A great to know TJ.

Even though its more of a popularity contest I will probebly not win what so ever. It's fun to know they're all breedable.

Did you even bother to read the first post? It's anonymous.

He does not mention Leetle Trees in the "Holiday Dragons" section. I believe the Leetle Tree is not included and is not requestable for one simple reason: They aren't dragons.

I could be wrong, but...

Neither are dinos and chickens. I'm pretty sure they're requestable.

And I'm so glad that we got tinsel. I had to redecorate my entire tree to use it, but still, I couldn't resist. Ah well, it still looks pretty good.

Just checking, as long as the ornament is visable (Not all see-through) then it will appear when people vote right?

Just checking, as long as the ornament is visable (Not all see-through) then it will appear when people vote right?

Yes.

Did you even bother to read the first post? It's anonymous.

From the 8th until midnight on the 15th (exactly 7 days), users will be able to rate trees (on a scale of 1-10) anonymously.

Voting is anonymous. The actual contest is a popularity contest.

On another note, can someone show me exactly where the three ribbons on the tree go? Everywhere I put it, it... just looks awkward.

Edited by Seriousness32

I am putting eveything to the side until all the decorations are done then will do my tree. I would love to win or even get the honorable mention but still will decorate it to suit me lol

btw do these stay like the easter basket and the halloween?

On another note, can someone show me exactly where the three ribbons on the tree go? Everywhere I put it, it... just looks awkward.

How so? You don't know who you're voting for.

I have a question, do you just have to click on the tree once a day to get all of your ornaments or do I have to keep visiting it throughout the day?

The reason I'm asking is because I had clicked on it a few hours ago and got a few ornaments, and the I clicked it again a couple minutes ago, and there was one more ornament … huh.gif

I have a question, do you just have to click on the tree once a day to get all of your ornaments or do I have to keep visiting it throughout the day?

The reason I'm asking is because I had clicked on it a few hours ago and got a few ornaments, and the I clicked it again a couple minutes ago, and there was one more ornament … huh.gif

You just have to click once per day, however, nothing stops the new ornaments to spawn behind existing ones, so its possible to miss a couple.

But that's the thing, I had hit "reset" so my tree was empty.

I'll just check it again later …

Wowz... This is awesome! THE ABILITY TO ASK FOR A HOLLY? Forget the new dragon, I could get an egg from someone else's anyway. YOU ROCK TJ!!!

That's kind of what I worry about, too. Will people have to actually go to our scrolls to vote, or will everyone just have a link from, say, their tree to vote on random trees? There are going to be a lot of trees to vote on!

Oh, thank you for the explanation! Sounds awesome - and very fair all around. I should think this would resolve all the concerns people have brought up regarding the process.

I'm even more excited now!

*very much hoping to win something*

Honestly, I think I'd be equally happy with any placing there. And regardless of whether I place, I'm happy that all the dragons will be breedable. At least there's some chance!

I agree that it looks like TJ has made this contest as fair as he can and still leave it in the control of the masses. I hope I won't be lambasted as a whiner, though, if I point out that it's still basically a popularity contest. Even if we assume TJ will be strictly fair in selecting the winners (and I, for one, am willing to assume that), you still need to get into the top 200 for him to have a chance at doing so. So ultimately it's more about how many people you can get to view your tree and vote for it as it is about how good your tree is.

The final 200 will consist of long-established players who have built-up extensive networks of friends in the game. The only way that newer players or those who aren't as active in the forum will really have a chance is ro be verrrrrry creative in terms of getting views :-)

Let the games begin!

Y'know, I thought this tree-decorating thing was going to be boring as heck, but it's actually ridiculously fun. I hope we get to continue decorating them once the contest is over. :3

TJ posted on page 6 or 7 of this thread the following:

"It's all anonymous. You don't know who you're voting for, and you don't know who voted for you. "

....So ultimately it's more about how many people you can get to view your tree and vote for it as it is about how good your tree is.

The final 200 will consist of long-established players who have built-up extensive networks of friends in the game. The only way that newer players or those who aren't as active in the forum will really have a chance is ro be verrrrrry creative in terms of getting views :-)

Let the games begin!

I don't think that is the case.

TJ's post says, "a scroll link for rating trees will appear near the "Review Descriptions""

I can't see who's description I'm reviewing, and neither can I pick who's descriptions I will be reviewing. It's chosen at random, and from what I understand, the trees you'll be shown to vote on will be presented to you in a similar fashion.

The voting AND the votee will both be anonymous. You won't be able to go to someone's scroll and vote on their tree, you'll have to click a special link that takes you to where you'll be given trees to view and vote.

I agree that it looks like TJ has made this contest as fair as he can and still leave it in the control of the masses.  I hope I won't be lambasted as a whiner, though, if I point out that it's still basically a popularity contest.  Even if we assume TJ will be strictly fair in selecting the winners (and I, for one, am willing to assume that), you still need to get into the top 200 for him to have a chance at doing so.  So ultimately it's more about how many people you can get to view your tree and vote for it as it is about  how good your tree is. 

The final 200 will consist of long-established players who have built-up extensive networks of friends in the game.  The only way that newer players or those who aren't as active in the forum will really have a chance is ro be verrrrrry creative in terms of getting views :-)

Let the games begin!

Popularity Contests cannot be anonymous. So, since the decorating is anonymous, and the voting is anonymous, it is not a popularity contest.

Popularity contests revolve around voting for your friends. However, in this contest, you don't know which tree is your friend's. It is done anonymously. You don't know who you're voting for, and they don't know who voted for them.

A lot of people are getting tired of saying it. It's been posted repeatedly, it's even been posted by TJ himself. So, I'm bolding important aspects in the hope people will see it and understand it. Of course, five pages more in this discussion and someone else will end up saying "it's a popularity contest". If you guys think that anonymous voting makes it a popularity contest, then those are some messed up contests you've participated in. laugh.gif

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

I don't think that is the case.

TJ's post says, "a scroll link for rating trees will appear near the "Review Descriptions""

I can't see who's description I'm reviewing, and neither can I pick who's descriptions I will be reviewing. It's chosen at random, and from what I understand, the trees you'll be shown to vote on will be presented to you in a similar fashion.

The voting AND the votee will both be anonymous. You won't be able to go to someone's scroll and vote on their tree, you'll have to click a special link that takes you to where you'll be given trees to view and vote.

Yes, you're right. I misread that. Thought the link to rate "tree x" was on tree x's page.

Well, then...Congrats, TJ...I think you came up with a scheme that will satisfy even the nitpickers among us. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.