TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

well, i'm sure i can finish voting by midnight on the 16th!!! i'm surprised i'm not done already! but i've been kind of slow today, been more interruptions with my kids, but at night time is when i'm most productive at the voting!!

oh oh oh!!!! just saw a kitty face tree!!!! happy.gif that was the first "kitty" tree i've seen!!! and probably my favorite "face" tree i've seen so far!!!

wow, and right after that, i saw the "tree in a tree" tree!!!!! laugh.gif

finally seeing some more of the trees that i've heard about on the forum!!!

Edited by misfitknits

I don't think I will ever get through all the trees -- did we ever figure out how many there are? I start getting pretty random after looking at 40 or 50 trees and have to quit. I take a break and come back and am better for awhile. Rinse. Repeat. wink.gif

I think someone said around nine thousand? I could have hallucinated that number, though unsure.gif

I think someone said around nine thousand? I could have hallucinated that number, though unsure.gif

nope, you're right about the number!!! i think it was right under 9,000!!! that's a lot of trees to slog through!!!

Day 10

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

- JOTB, Starscream, Starscream, Skinst, TheAntimonyElement, TheAntimonyElement, Earthgirl

Theme: Green/Hide in your treeeez

ok, this is killing me!!! what is the thing from the picture, the thing in the middle, to the left of the green candle. people are using it as a garland on some of the trees. but what is it, really??? to me it looks like those marshmallows you can get at easter time- the pastel bag- it looks like someone took the green and pink marshmallows from that bag and strung them up like a traditional popcorn garland.

is this some tradition i am not familiar with????

Edited by misfitknits

Holy cow, finished voting! blink.gif

Now that I'm done with that, and there's nothing but waiting left, I just have to say that this has really been a blast. Everyone involved - TJ and the artists - are completely awesome for providing this much fun. Seriously, this has been my favorite DC holiday celebration ever.

And the members here are beyond creative. I loved getting to look at all the trees and I'm blown away and more than a little jealous of all the talent I saw. I think I finally let go of the last bit of hope that my tree might win now. xd.png

IF my calculations are correct I'm just over 5,200 in voting. *deep breath* Now if only my eyes would stop going cross eyed and focus. haha.

I wish the stupid garland didn't layer incorrectly. :/ When I decorated the tree, the garland was nice and underneath everything else, but now that I look at my tree, it's messed up. ;_;

And yeah, all these people with decorating ideas that would never work irl make my tree seem lame. sad.gif

ok, this is killing me!!! what is the thing from the picture, the thing in the middle, to the left of the green candle. people are using it as a garland on some of the trees. but what is it, really??? to me it looks like those marshmallows you can get at easter time- the pastel bag- it looks like someone took the green and pink marshmallows from that bag and strung them up like a traditional popcorn garland.

They could be a couple things. I know we've got some similar ornaments that are clusters of small glass balls. I've seen that as ornaments several times and in many colors. I haven't seen it as a garland, but I think it works well. I'm assuming that is what it is.

I heard that they're strings of beads...

they're strings of beads. smile.gif

Edit for vagueness.

Edited by Blood-Otherium

which DC tree? there are many! is there an "official" DC tree??? tongue.gif

I dont think there is, but if so I would vote the tree that made the DC logo (with the dragon head and wings coming out of the "D") as the official "DC" tree. smile.gif

they're strings of beads. smile.gif

aahhh, thank you for the explanation!!! i wish the creator would say officially, but....

anyways, about an "official" DC tree, i don't think there really is one either, it was a joke. i just didn't know which tree that person was referring to as "the DC tree". BUT, i just saw a cool one. the ornaments made the symbol, for technoized? it's the one that there's an actual ornament of: the blue and silver with like a lightning bolt down the middle. i thought it used to be on tj's avatar, but it's not there right now.... anyways, it was that symbol, but big and made out of a bunch of ornaments, it looked pretty cool!

and, @ zaverxi: i feel kind of the same way- that while the art or "concept" trees are cool, if you couldn't do it in real life, it doesn't get as high of a vote from me as ones you could pull off in your own home. after all, it isn't a "make something cool out of ornaments" contest, it's a "tree decorating" contest!!!!

aahhh, thank you for the explanation!!! i wish the creator would say officially, but....

Technically, it was officially stated. When you click the more popcorn garlands and lights thing and you had the original beads, the message reads "...You have recieved 19 more strings of beads" or something like that.

haha I've already come across multiple trees with nothing on them. I'm slightly tempted to rate one of them as a "10" just for kicks...... but I don't think I will. rolleyes.gif

How could you even submit your tree for voting?

Well, there was an option button for submitting your tree between the 6th and the 8th.....

Maybe I can finish them all this weekend when I have nothing better to do... I hope I can. I want to see all the pretty trees.

haha I've already come across multiple trees with nothing on them. I'm slightly tempted to rate one of them as a "10" just for kicks...... but I don't think I will. rolleyes.gif

hah i did xd.png 10 for NOTHING!!!! xd.png

Just gave my first 9. Considered giving it a 10, but decided against it. It was a tree that had so many clever little elements all over the place it couldn't have been any lower than that.

YAY!!! just saw a really nice rainbow tree that i gave a 10 to!!!!!

and then only a few trees later, another really cool dragon tree!! it was a completely decorated tree, with a little baby dragon flying next to it!! laugh.gif it was too stinkin' cute!!! and unlike some of the concept trees, this person did not ignore the actual tree decorating part of the contest!!!! even if you put something cool on your tree, that doesn't count as "decorating" a tree to me. but if you put something awesome and decorated the tree!!! now that deserves a high score!!!!

ETA: to those of you who think it is funny to give a tree a higher score, when it doesn't deserve it: please don't!!! that completely ruins the contest for anyone who actually put alot.png of time and effort into their tree, and it's also disrespectful to the voters who have literally dedicated days to this contest, and do actually take it seriously. i know it's just a game, but how would you feel if you had a freakin awesome tree that lost to a blank tree because people thought it would be "funny" to give it a 10.

Edited by misfitknits

Does anyone else think that two of the ornaments look like little death stars?

Me. xd.png

There is no way I will ever make it through all the trees.

I wonder how it works.. You think all the trees will end up with about the same number of votes?

I don't think I will ever get through all the trees -- did we ever figure out how many there are? I start getting pretty random after looking at 40 or 50 trees and have to quit. I take a break and come back and am better for awhile. Rinse. Repeat. wink.gif

I totally agree and posted just about the same thing a few hours before you, my friend! Nobody answers me though...unless I miss it. I have too much work to do and a big deadline in 36 hours. I try to rate a few as breaks for myself, but I can't do it all day long, and there could be thousands and thousands! blink.gif