TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

A shooting star tree! Aww so pretty! wub.gif

Woah it's a bit of a shock for your eyes when you first get a naked tree and the following one is a Katamari tree. blink.gif

Edited by Nyastara

A shooting star tree! Aww so pretty! wub.gif

I know I loved that one to!! smile.gif

Edited by majors

Ugh, one thing I dislike is that if you click on a rating but it doesn't 'register' (doesn't 'fill in') and you do not notice it before you hit 'vote', the site tells you to you have to chose a rating (as it should), but doesn't give you the means of going back to that exact tree. I've 'missed' voting on dozens of trees because of that lack of feature (the database error folks were getting at the beginning could apply as well, considering I have no idea if the only '9' worthy tree I've seen so far actually got that rating from me....).

Ugh, one thing I dislike is that if you click on a rating but it doesn't 'register' (doesn't 'fill in') and you do not notice it before you hit 'vote', the site tells you to you have to chose a rating (as it should), but doesn't give you the means of going back to that exact tree. I've 'missed' voting on dozens of trees because of that lack of feature (the database error folks were getting at the beginning could apply as well, considering I have no idea if the only '9' worthy tree I've seen so far actually got that rating from me....).

Errr..you use the back button on your browser? I've had that happened and I just hit back and get the same tree again.

Nope. When I hit the back button I get 'webpage has expired' page, when I refresh, I get a different tree then the one I had.

Hm. Lots of 1s and 2s lately. And I'm not even in a bad mood. But I finally saw one of the beautiful ones mentioned earlier, so I'm happy! cool.gif

People need to chill out. I see so many people on all the tree threads going on about how much they just haaaaate a certain kind of tree and how they'll automatically give it a 1 or lower points. I...don't quite understand. These are just trees, right? You don't have to look through them all and you don't have to come onto the forums and shout about how so many of them suck. It seems like every other post is just unpleasant.

I admit that I've been a bit down on certain trees. So today, whenever I post in a Christmas thread, I'll include something nice I've noticed about a tree I saw. See if I can balance out some. smile.gif

You know you are spending too much time voting when:

You get back onto your own scroll, look at your tree, and think "meh, i would only give this a three. A couple days ago, it would have gotten a 7.

Sadly, done it.

You assume every tree has a hidden picture

Spent way to much time doing it.

You give up on voting, and ask your kids for advice on how to score them

I make my niece help every time she wanders by. Now she's avoiding me. laugh.gif

You open your tree link and immediately wonder where the vote button is.

Done it and was then glad it wasn't there since my score for it has lowered over the last few days. lol

Do keep in mind that we will almost certainly have teleport by the time hollies are  produced by breeding again.  No one can promise more than one egg, and anyone who takes an IOU should do everything they reasonably can to ensure they are the only one promised an egg.

So glad this was mentioned. I think that it's hard to keep teleport in mind until it's actually here, and I feel bad for people when I see them making plans with all of their potential holiday multi-clutches. sad.gif

You know, now that I see that people have managed to finish voting on all the trees, I'll never be able to stop. D8 Oh trees, you're like Lays potato chips - i can't stop with just one.

- I saw a tree where the birds were on the top edges of the gold garland and it looked like they were hoping from one level of it to the next. Cute use of the garland. smile.gif

I think that it's wonderful that everyone wants to be fair. But, in this case, fair is just about expressing your honest opinion, and people shouldn't feel bad about doing that at all.

That was elegantly put!

I want to see the shooting star tree... sad.gif

Passed the one with the number 42, though. smile.gif

For the second time, (should have known it wouldn't last, lol) I'll abandon my determination to stop posting here to mention the fact that various (probably much younger) people likely used whatever left-over ornaments they had to fill in the missing bits on the dragons with no idea of how they might appear to those of us enjoying purient minds.

Well, as one of the perpetrators, I'd like to share my thoughts when I decorated: We got four candles - and four ginormous dragon candle holders. Never in my worst dreams did I think that people might see anything but a dragon holding a candle. (If someone thinks the candle is a body part, well, let me ask you one thing: Whose mind is dirty now? tongue.gif)

I also saw some trees with dragons on top of birds - even one with a tiny bird on a dragon on a bird topper. What did it look like to me? "Oh, the teeny tiny bird is riding on the dragon, and the dragon is riding (piggy back) on the bird - how cute!"

Yes, I also saw one of the pickled dragons. And my mind went straight into the gutter. Still, the person decorating this might have seen just a dragon with a pickle. Who am I to judge? (Anyway, I tried to see beyond the pickled dragon - and judged the tree accordingly.)

Wait, so these lewd trees I keep hearing about are just the ones where the dragons are holding something?

...Huh. My mind is cleaner than I thought. All I see is a dragon holding something, and I kind of wished I'd thought of the dragon-candle-holder thing. I'd love to have one of those in real life, actually.

Well, as one of the perpetrators, I'd like to share my thoughts when I decorated: We got four candles - and four ginormous dragon candle holders. Never in my worst dreams did I think that people might see anything but a dragon holding a candle. (If someone thinks the candle is a body part, well, let me ask you one thing: Whose mind is dirty now? tongue.gif)

I also saw some trees with dragons on top of birds - even one with a tiny bird on a dragon on a bird topper. What did it look like to me? "Oh, the teeny tiny bird is riding on the dragon, and the dragon is riding (piggy back) on the bird - how cute!"

Yes, I also saw one of the pickled dragons. And my mind went straight into the gutter. Still, the person decorating this might have seen just a dragon with a pickle. Who am I to judge? (Anyway, I tried to see beyond the pickled dragon - and judged the tree accordingly.)

All I see when the dragons are holding candles are dragons with candles and I appreciate that they made the effort to conceal the missing parts of the dragon. The pickle on though? Yeah, I think that was intentional. lol

- I just saw a tree that used three golden tree toppers and was absolutely lovely. 9 from me.

I'll try to recreate it and PM you the pic. smile.gif

Also, just what is with this pickle? Someone explain please?

The pickle is an old tradition. Some families would put a glass "pickle" ornament on the tree, but being green and lumpy it blends in well. The tradition usually involves challenging the kids (or other family members) to find the pickle. Whoever does it gets a small prize (like a candycane)

Although perhaps we'll do something like gingerbread houses next year and then alternate back and forth with different themes.

Gingerbread houses? blink.gif

Ooooo....Shiny! Want! biggrin.gif

I read that the winners will not be publicly announced. Does that mean that unless the winner reveal himself/herself, we would never know who won what and we won't get to see the winning trees either?

It's probably to protect their scrolls. Think of how many views TJ's dragons get. The contest eggs might be protected from sickness but anything else on the scroll wouldn't be? Which, as a thought, if you win, you may want to turn your scroll name off. If people see them on the click exchanges, they will click on them. If they see your name over it they may visit your scroll. Enough so that your other hatchies/eggs will be in trouble.

just saw a tree with a little baby dragon holding the snowglobe, and the little silver swirl ornament coming from his snout like smoke!! it was cute!! <3

cutest one i've seen in a loooong while actually! i haven't come across many "concept" trees lately..... waiting for something i can look at for more than a few seconds!!! xd.png

Just saw the first tree that used both the silver and gold garlands that I actually liked. It had a very nice rainbow theme, and it used most of the ornaments without turning into a katamari mess. I gave it a 9, and that's only the second or third 9 I've given (I still haven't given out any 10s. I guess I'm a pretty harsh judge.)

I tried an icy color theme. Only blue, white and silver ornaments. Doesn't look terribly impressive though.

How are we supposed to rate people's trees?? I click on them but nothing happens.

Edited by Vic

Just saw the first tree that used both the silver and gold garlands that I actually liked.  It had a very nice rainbow theme, and it used most of the ornaments without turning into a katamari mess.  I gave it a 9, and that's only the second or third 9 I've given (I still haven't given out any 10s.  I guess I'm a pretty harsh judge.)

Just saw it, too! Also a 9 from me. I didn't think it was possible to make the garland work that well, much less two of them!

Well done, mystery decorator. Well done.

@ Vic - Go to your scroll and click the link under "Generate Incubator" that says something about the tree decorating contest.

Edited by skauble

The pickle is an old tradition. Some families would put a glass "pickle" ornament on the tree, but being green and lumpy it blends in well. The tradition usually involves challenging the kids (or other family members) to find the pickle. Whoever does it gets a small prize (like a candycane)

some wierd tradition i never heard of it o-o

I visited my scroll everyday so why am I seeing so many ornaments and lights I never got??

I visited my scroll everyday so why am I seeing so many ornaments and lights I never got??

The important thing was not to visit your scroll, but your tree. Did you click on your tree every day?