TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

It looks rather like a small, orange rodent, trying to take a drink out of a glass of milk perilously tilting over...

I could be wrong, though.

xd.png

Edit: seriously, anyone know?

This would be driving me nuts if I hadn't taken a cab there already...

I think its a cotton ball

Maybe angel wings? No I think they're white shoes and skates.

Aw, I didn't get the holly dragon in the globe D8

but ill live without it... i guess :T

xd.png

i need to remember to log on every day to get the ornaments :v

Haa, how could I have missed this entire thread? xd.png

In any case, this sounds AWESOME! I'm excited to see what other ornaments we'll get. Still waiting for inspiration to hit. All I have on my tree now is the little red bird sitting at the very top. :3

I was wondering about the lights and garland, too. Is it supposed to expand or what? And what about the presents? Is there anything to them besides decoration? :3

Sorry if this was asked before, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread

Are people outside this forum able to compete as well and how will they be contacted if they win?

I have a really silly question.....users are able to...vote. But HOW can people vote if they don't know so much ...ähh people. I dunno if i asked right....you vote on the Cave site right? so...and there won't be a list with all trees....so how are the users first of all found?

aaaargh does anyone understand my question??

I have a really silly question.....users are able to...vote. But HOW can people vote if they don't know so much ...ähh people. I dunno if i asked right....you vote on the Cave site right? so...and there won't be a list with all trees....so how are the users first of all found?

aaaargh does anyone understand my question??

Generally how these contests are handled is that there will be a page you can go to in order to view the trees. When you look at the page, 1-4 submitted images will be randomly selected, and you can vote on these. You are free to continue refreshing and voting on as many as you like, with every refresh giving you another random handful of submissions.

This is just a guess, I have no idea how it will actually happen.

I'm sure this question has been posted before, but...

If we can vote as long as we want, maybe some trees will be voted more than others? I mean... For example:

Person X votes tree 1, tree 2, tree 9

Person Y votes tree 4, tree 2, tree 7, tree 6, tree 1

Person W votes tree 2

Tree 2 has been voted 3 times...

Sorry if you don't understand, I can't speak very well 'cause I'm not English :S

Generally how these contests are handled is that there will be a page you can go to in order to view the trees. When you look at the page, 1-4 submitted images will be randomly selected, and you can vote on these. You are free to continue refreshing and voting on as many as you like, with every refresh giving you another random handful of submissions.

This is just a guess, I have no idea how it will actually happen.

From the way TJ explained it in the first post, you will go to the main site (dragcave.net) and click a link at the top to vote for trees. Then ONE tree with show up, and you rank it 1-10, after you rank it, another shows up. Similar to how you review descriptions now. You won't know who your voting for, and the tree owner won't know who voted for them. I do have 1 question though:

If your tree is submitted, will there be anyway to check your votes? Like your average rating, or how many votes, or anything? I don't mean WHO voted, but the status, or maybe your ranking overall to know if your even close to the top 200?

relaks,

Yes, I'm sure that would be possible. But there will be HUNDREDS of trees and hundreds of voters, plus some people will sit here and vote all day long just to look at the different trees (I know I will lol). I think because of the randomization each tree should be viewed somewhat equally, but there is no guarantee.

Edited by MollyElizbeth

Ooo, sounds fun! Will enter, though I don't think I'll have a chance. tongue.gif Good luck to all the entrants!

Edit: Question: Will the trees entered in the contest be anonymous? As in, we don't know who decorated 'em?

Edited by Vampiric

Is it a snowman?

My monitor isn't great, and going by the shape and what I thought were wings, I thought it might have been a chicken, or a duck! xd.png

The orange on top should perhaps have been a hint, lol, but it looks long-necked on my puter...

The leaves on the side branches seem to be a little larger everytime I look today - is that just me being over-tired and woozy?

I haz flu and everything looks weird to me, lol.

/Monty Python voice A duck?!

It's a dragon though. Confuse it. :3

Trees will appear at random, I'd say. And you vote on them depending how you think of them. But tension would probably kill you if you don't see your ranking. Oh, how amusing!

Ooo, sounds fun! Will enter, though I don't think I'll have a chance. tongue.gif Good luck to all the entrants!

Edit: Question: Will the trees entered in the contest be anonymous? As in, we don't know who decorated 'em?

Yeah, I think it will be anonymous!

TJ has said in a previous thread it will be totally anonymous. You will not know whose tree you are voting on and you will not know who voted on your tree.

Those are white baby booties by the way.

Ooooh yay this is going to be so much fun, the prizes sound so awesome!! cant wait to see what this new never seen before dragon looks like!!

As I am getting ready for work and don't have time to scroll through two dozen pages to see if this has been answered I'm going to ask - considering the number of players on Dragon Cave, will a system be set up to assure that everyone's tree actually has a REAL chance at getting picked?

Random generators are known to not actually be all that random and certain trees could pop up for voting on more than others.

Also, how long will the first round of voting be? I'm hoping it's actually going to last long enough so that ALL of the trees have been cycled through, each getting the opportunity to be voted on, as otherwise it will be a completely unfair contest.

Everyone's tree will probably have a real chance of being picked. And no, most of us don't know the answer to your last question, forcryinoutloud.

Random generators are known to not actually be all that random and certain trees could pop up for voting on more than others.

Actually that would be the definition of "random."

What we need is some sort of protocol to make sure that the trees selected are not random, but that trees which have already been shown have less of a chance of being shown again.

From the 8th until midnight on the 15th (exactly 7 days), users will be able to rate trees (on a scale of 1-10) anonymously. Users may rate as many trees as they wish, but each user will only be able to vote on any given tree once.

From the first post.

Edited by Drakrono

Ah, the question is, since they are exclusive dragons, does that mean that they'll be able to breed in multi-clutches? Because that would be really awesome, though if they were able to... it'd lower their value. sad.gif

Ah, the question is, since they are exclusive dragons, does that mean that they'll be able to breed in multi-clutches? Because that would be really awesome, though if they were able to... it'd lower their value. sad.gif

Well, the fact that the winners would have the first one, as evidenced by their stolen, hatch and grow up dates, would be enough for me if I won. Plus, I dunno, it would be a kind of cool feeling to populate DC with a new dragon. It would feel nice to me. ^.^

I was wondering about the lights and garland, too. Is it supposed to expand or what? And what about the presents? Is there anything to them besides decoration? :3

You can add your decorations to the tops or sides of those presents if you wish. They seem to stay there.

You can add your decorations to the tops or sides of those presents if you wish. They seem to stay there.

Yeah, that's what I was doing with things like the nutcracker and angel and snowglobe and stuff 'cause I didn't like how they looked on the tree... and they seemed like presents themselves.

Hah I know what my choice would be biggrin.gif Well I have been going in every day to decorate my tree. Cool now all those sprigs at the sides have bloomed and I now have 3 presents under my tree.

The reindeer I think it's that is cool. So is the rockinghorse and the snoglobe. Even a blinking one. Keep them coming TJ smile.gif

On the fifth day of Christmas I rang the bells on my tree^^

I have no idea what the white thingy is??

~Xylr

What if users go around rating every tree they come across poorly, to increase their own chance?

I'd really like to know that.

As I am getting ready for work and don't have time to scroll through two dozen pages to see if this has been answered I'm going to ask - considering the number of players on Dragon Cave, will a system be set up to assure that everyone's tree actually has a REAL chance at getting picked?

Also, how long will the first round of voting be? I'm hoping it's actually going to last long enough so that ALL of the trees have been cycled through, each getting the opportunity to be voted on, as otherwise it will be a completely unfair contest.

Ahhh good point! I never thought of that.

But some people won't vote for many. TJ said that in the first post. There is no set amount you have to vote on. So that sounds that he has something in mind.

@fancypants: I was wondering that, too. But it sound like the majority of the people are going to vote honestly. And besides, if everyone did that, then everyone would loose pretty badly. tongue.gif

Edited by funny12321