TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

@Seriousness32

I was looking at my tree, and almost burst out in tears after I saw that I couldn´t remove the ornaments *lol*

Childish reaction, but I wanted to have a pretty tree, now I am totally embarassed.

Can't say that I blame you, I would have raged hard if my tree had that happen to it. But that's why I made sure to drag everything I wasn't using far away xd.png

I don't think it is fair that people are voting one's with pictures low because a lot of people put a lot of effort into making those. Just because it's "unoriginal" doesn't mean it should be voted lower. I actually like the ones with pictures because they ar unique. Most trees I see have a simple theme. I vote those low because there is no spark to them. The people who took the time and effort to put pictures on them make me smile and they get a higher vote from me.

I think that's completely fair.

I vote based on my own view of what a good tree is. Why shouldn't everyone else do the same?

Judging anything comes down to personal preference.

People will vote how they want to and that's how it should be.

I don't think it is fair that people are voting one's with pictures low because a lot of people put a lot of effort into making those. Just because it's "unoriginal" doesn't mean it should be voted lower. I actually like the ones with pictures because they ar unique. Most trees I see have a simple theme. I vote those low because there is no spark to them. The people who took the time and effort to put pictures on them make me smile and they get a higher vote from me.

I'm a bit confused O,o

picture = unoriginal?

Doesn't make sense to me. xd.png

Would be the other way round to me ;P

I am voting on each tree as I like it. If I see a picture. they're getting a higher rank for their originality, but the end result depends on how I like it.

Personally I lke the "unoriginal" normal "could be the same in my home" trees more. So they can get a high ranking as well, depending on if I like the colours and arranging ^^

bad votes are most for the "where is the tree?", the "poor strangled dragons", the "flowing mess" and the no decoration at all trees.

just my personal opinion.

I like the shadowed idea, where you have silver as a shadow of gold or vice versa.

I like the shadowed idea, where you have silver as a shadow of gold or vice versa.

I did that with my garland biggrin.gif

@Seriousness32

Ah well, now I have to live with that

Doesn´t mean that my tree isn´t pretty anymore!

(which i think it is, because I worked hard on it to get the ornaments where I want them to be)

*is still optimistic*

At this point-

1 - A mangled cluster of toppers, garlands, every thing on the tree with no plan. Many have no actual tree showing. blink.gif

2 - Blank trees. They're better than the mangled messes. Some sloppy trees end up here too, and a number of the DC trees. ohmy.gif

3 - Unclear on the concept. They tried putting something together, but they may just never have decorated a real tree, or have no sense of perspective. Lights and other ornament don't actually make straight horizontal lines on a tree, but curve, following the branches of the tree. You don't place garland over the ornaments, because it makes the ornament pointless. Many of the reset problems end up here. huh.gif

4 - Some real thought to what they're doing, but still not working for many of the factors listed under 3. Most of the better ones with too many tree toppers end up here. unsure.gif

5 - They get it, but the tree doesn't say anything. Basic, but boring. smile.gif

6 - They get it, I like it, but it isn't exceptional. wink.gif

7 - There's some good thought and execution in the plan. Very pretty or inventive. It makes me smile. These trees would be welcome in my house. biggrin.gif

8 - Stepping it up. Well thought out. Good attention to detail, fun or beautiful ideas. a couple of the multi-topper trees have made it here, but they're rarely well done! laugh.gif

9 - Makes me stop. Makes me smile. Whether pretty or funny, this is very clever. almost there! xd.png

10 - Awesome. No question! No doubt! wub.gif

Me too thats really cool I also like where the big bird is flying to the tree holding something like he is decorating the tree thats pretty cool

I think I'm going to stop voting. Seeing too many of the same trees I voted on last night, and to me, it's not fair that they get more than vote per person. What worries me more is that I'm not getting to see all trees, which would increase chances of other folks getting a fair vote.

Blah.

Everyone give my tree a '10.'

That is all I ask. xd.png

I don't pay attention usually if there are any not-planned ornaments floating in the air near the tree... I'm rating the tree itself smile.gif

What is the difference between full and cluttered? I guess it is subjective but I like a full tree. Reading this forum I think I will probably not do well- so many people post that they like sparse decorations. There are sooo many beautiful and creative trees I am a bit disappointed with my own! I would have to give it less than ten. I tend to vote higher for creativity and effort and originality. Though I have only given a few tens most of my votes have been six, seven, or eight. As a newbie I am also really glad the voting is completely anonymous because some posters have written they don't want a newbie to win. If a newbie wins a newbie wins. Even TJ must have been a newbie at some time!

I have to say that some users ruined a very good decorated tree putting around it flying random tree-toppers. This lowers my rate of 1, sorry.

Oh Holy...

who's the crazy genuine genius that put the big red bird on the head of a gold dragon topper, on a quite traditional tree??? laugh.gif

I'm laughing 'til crying my eyes out! laugh.gif That one is so funny, between all those iper-pimped tree... it just screams "so you all tried to do something very impressive? I'll do better. Here, take this bird placed on the head of the huge, luxury, golden dragon. And that's enough!"

So are candles usually put on trees? *is not christian*

Meyer : What is the difference between full and cluttered? I guess it is subjective but I like a full tree. Reading this forum I think I will probably not do well- so many people post that they like sparse decorations. There are sooo many beautiful and creative trees I am a bit disappointed with my own! I would have to give it less than ten. I tend to vote higher for creativity and effort and originality. Though I have only given a few tens most of my votes have been six, seven, or eight. As a newbie I am also really glad the voting is completely anonymous because some posters have written they don't want a newbie to win. If a newbie wins a newbie wins. Even TJ must have been a newbie at some time!

I think the difference is if the tree looks like he had been decorated or like someone said :

Christmas vomited over it

Just saw the =( tree xd.png

I have to say that some users ruined a very good decorated tree putting around it flying random tree-toppers. This lowers my rate of 1, sorry.

same here. If someone just puts in all top dragons somewhere to have them in, I think about the rest of the tree and then give it one or 2 points less for the toppings, depending on how bad they look in there.

All tree tops are nice. I liked all of them too, but there can only be one (or a shaded xd.png), so, if one can't chose... well ;P

I'm only rating 1 or 2 to the trees where it looks like it's been submitted for the sake of it.

I've seen the TJ one, a DC one and a few others where the designer has obviously been artistic but the pattern just doesn't say 'christmas tree' to me.

What would I rate my own? Well, I'd definitely have it in my house, it's a full, traditional tree. Having said that, I've seen people do better so I'd give myself a 7.

in the old days thats what they did untill the trees caught on fire too many times, then it switched to little lighted candles its pretty on trees or in your windows in the house on the cills

Once upon a time, before electric lights (i.e. 100+ years ago). They're considered a fire hazard now.

I'm screenshotting the trees that I like the best... ^.^

So I'm not the only one, then! laugh.gif

I saw one with a lovely menorah made out of the ornaments.

I only give 1's for trees with nothing on them.

Candles were used before lights, birdie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

ninja.gif 'd! xd.png

Edited by Lagie

The first chistmas trees were indeed decorated with candles. I think the original idea of having them was to symbolize the night sky.

Ooohhh. That makes sense. I was thinking that it wouldn't be very safe. tongue.gif