TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Found one where the horn was blowing bubbles and there was a bird holding booties for the nutcracker and angel. Yay Mr. Stork!!! <3333

Awwww! I wish I'd've thought of cool things like that.

Wow, there are a lot of fugly trees in this contest. I feel better about entering my unimaginative and rather generic tree now. It's boring, but at least it's not actively repugnant, like around 70% of the trees I've seen so far.

Blech.

I want to vote on everything, but looking at them is putting me in a pissy mood.

When some people's trees come up the unused garlands are showing up way below the voting numbers, that seems like it shouldn't happen because it's way outside the box around the tree. It's making me all worried where I put my unused stuff.

I think originality is the most important factor, anyone can make a pretty traditional tree.

Wow, there are a lot of fugly trees in this contest.  I feel better about entering my unimaginative and rather generic tree now.  It's boring, but at least it's not actively repugnant, like around 70% of the trees I've seen so far.

Blech.

I want to vote on everything, but looking at them is putting me in a pissy mood.

I fear quite a few will have been people who hit the glitch and got fed up and abandoned.... Pity. After the glitch kicked in, I put ALL my unused stuff in the brown area around the edges of the scroll, JUST IN CASE !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Woah. I feel like I'm being too strict in my judging. o.o I'm giving nearly all 1-4s, the random 5-6 and the rare 7. X___X

Maybe I'm too strict in my demands. xd.png

Of course, I'm also sure my tree isn't making it. xd.png But what the hey! I had fun. X3

I'm harsh with my scoring too, especially if I think the poor dragons and birds are caught in the garland and trying to fight their way out.

My average "bad" score seems to be a 3; I have given out quite a few 6's and 7's.

The highest I have given out so far is an 8.

I really wish that there had been a way that the totally undecorated trees didn't even make it into the voting.

I hope, when the contest is over, that we can find out how many entries there were.

I also wonder what people would have given there own tree as a score, if they could have voted on there own (even if the vote didn't count).

My favorite so far was one where the nutcracker and the angel were getting married in a heart made of ornaments and the heart was the smile of a smiley face. The dragon toppers were the audience.

Huh i feel like I'm being too liberal with my voting after reading here. xd.png I almost never vote under six...unless the tree obviously had no effort put into it. Or if it's really just unpleasent to look at...but generally a six for trying.

It's hard to tae it seriously when someone has just loaded on ALL the ornaments. tongue.gif Sorry, but I don't give a good score for that.

On another note, I wonder whether there'll be a geographical spread in how people vote. I think US tradition is much more for the multicolours (blink lights, many different bulbs etc.) whereas the European (at least north where I come from) is much more monochromatic - like only one or two colours themes, white lights, etc.

I'm not a big fan of traditional trees... I mean, they are not real life trees, they are pixel trees and it gives one so many possibilities it would be a shame not to use them wink.gif But if something looks really stylish and elegant in the classic traditional way, I do rate it high (6-7).

8-10 I give for creativity and originality. It's so refreshing to see something unexpected after all those normal traditional trees smile.gif It's the funny and original trees that make it really worth to look at all the rest tongue.gif I'm definitely for more DC-ness and less christmas-ness smile.gif But it's only my opinion and I'm sure the classic ones will have many fans as well.

ummm, ok, but I thought the whole idea was that this was a CHRISTMAS tree decorating contest? So I am doing the opposite of you. If it's obviously too DC low marks - traditional, elegant, classic Christmas, higher marks. If it shows thought and effort went into it, higher marks. If it's too simplistic or too jumbled up, lower marks.

Awww *_* I saw a rainbow tree! smile.gif

What kind of a rainbow? Mine had a rainbow-y thing on it. Kind of. xd.png

I don't feel as bad about mine looking at some of the others...but seeing how so many people threw up ornaments all over theirs makes mine feel kinda sparse. I just wasn't inspired. sad.gif

On another note, I wonder whether there'll be a geographical spread in how people vote. I think US tradition is much more for the multicolours (blink lights, many different bulbs etc.) whereas the European (at least north where I come from) is much more monochromatic - like only one or two colours themes, white lights, etc.

I wouldn't be too sure; I'm American, but the brightly-lit stuff doesn't appeal to me as much as the monochromatic stuff (in RL they're about even, but meh).

I'm voting mostly 5's (average), and then if it's bad it gets a 3 or 4...better than average is a 6, and then better than that is 7, and so on and so forth...7's my highest yet (for a monochromatic gold tree tongue.gif). Make that 8 as my highest, for a really cute Christmas tree face!

Edited by princessleopard

LMAO! You have to love someone asking for a favor with the rage smiley. xd.png

I've gotten to the point where if people even tried and it doesn't make my eye crossed I'll give them a 5. So many trees that Christmas threw up on.

Same here. I don't think those deserve the same rating as the ones that are totally hodge-podge. Thought now I'm kinda wishing we had tree categories like was posted earlier. I'll be a bit sad if only one type of category walks away with everything. Might be something for a future time smile.gif

I wish I could find the trees, all I am getting are dragon desc. rolleyes.gif

update neve rmind I found them

Edited by millsj13

You know, for all of my complaining about trees with everything, including the garland covered kitchen sink, on them, I've really seen some very lovely trees. And, as far as the others go, I figure this is pretty new to everyone, so of course there will be some rocky starts. But if we do this next year? I bet my socks will be knocked of every other tree! laugh.gif

ETA:

Thought now I'm kinda wishing we had tree categories like was posted earlier. I'll be a bit sad if only one type of category walks away with everything. Might be something for a future time smile.gif

I would love to have categories next time!

Edited by skauble

Boy I was worried about sending in my tree, because I thought everybpdy elses would

be so beautiful.

I've only seen one tree that was worth a 6, most are 3 but quite a few are 1 and 2. I still haven't seen that 10 yet.

I just saw a tree with a dragon made out of ornaments clinging to it xd.png

thank you mystery person for making my day.

My favorite so far was one where the nutcracker and the angel were getting married in a heart made of ornaments and the heart was the smile of a smiley face. The dragon toppers were the audience.

HAHA! I got that one too. It was really cute <3

What kind of a rainbow? Mine had a rainbow-y thing on it. Kind of. xd.png

Seen two from-bottom-up rainbows so far. One of them was really good, got one of my highest marks. smile.gif

When you click your own tree, is that how it shows up to the voters? Because I'm afraid that my unused ornaments might be showing and I don't know it. I'm seeing an awful lot of floating unused stuff around other's trees.

There are many Trees that are overcrowded. Some people just put everything on the tree. I rarely vote 8-10.

I wonder how many trees are there to vote laugh.gif

First, I love this idea, and to see all the wonderful versions that were created. I also like that some of the area around the tree could be used. And I am so amazed and thankful for all the wonderful artisans that created the page and ornaments for this fun. biggrin.gif

If this is done again next year, it would be great to have an "ornament box" where you could place the ones not used, that way all the space could be used, and you would know which ones wouldn't show.

I am really more than astonished to see so many crap trees with decoration stuff flying all around...on floor on top and I don't know....

BUT I found a lot lot lot of lovely trees as well. So far I've given out 2x 9p. as highest score. And I have really fun looking at all of your trees no matter if naughty or nice smile.gif

Edited by saphiria

I've been seeing some really good trees. Mine doesn't stand a chance now! biggrin.gif

I have to say, though, I'm glad I didn't throw on so many ornaments at once. I did put on a lot and placed many of the items on the bottom, but I think it looks organized, in a way. I feel like some of the randomness detracts from the look (but not all the time! I still love the originality of some of them!).

Darn, I should have done a rainbow theme, too! I was thinking about it, and then I was like, 'nah, it wouldn't be original enough'. It probably would have looked so much better! Now mine is all bright and sparkly with all the christmas lights (slung on everywhere from beneath the bubbles to the wings of the dragons... overboard much? tongue.gif )

Good luck, everyone! smile.gif

Edited by saphirekestrel

When you click your own tree, is that how it shows up to the voters? Because I'm afraid that my unused ornaments might be showing and I don't know it. I'm seeing an awful lot of floating unused stuff around other's trees.

I believe so.

I really wish we had categories, for like traditional trees vs picture trees...creative trees, I dunno. xd.png

My rating scale is

1-2: badly done (likely glitch-ridden) or looks like everything is piled randomly or is a face

3-4: ornaments chosen at random with questionable placement, creative ideas tried but ended up tacky looking

5-6: decent looking with a theme or obvious care

7+: nice looking, creative ideas or a theme well executed

I will take pretty traditional over cheesy, silly, or ugly creativity. I think lots of colors makes a tree look festive and cheery, but a 1-3 color scheme can look elegant and pretty, so I'm okay with either. I'm giving mostly scores in the 3-6 range, but more 1-2 than 7+. I did see someone else who used the same theme I did but executed it differently.