TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I feel the same way.

Room for one more?

I'm off as well.

Getting tired and judging these trees seem to be affecting it.

Am I the only one giving blank trees high scores just for lulz? XP

I don't even vote for them, I hit refresh to get another tree dry.gif

Yeah. Before I even started voting I made a list of things that I'd most likely see as a common decorating theme. Once I'd come up with that, I started off voting critically. I think the shape trees are actually really creative, it's all the variables involved that determine my vote. Like color scheme, other decorations, garlands, toppers, etc.

Yeah, that's what I thought. smile.gif I've tried building images out of ornaments on my Christmas tree when I was little and it never worked out - couldn't give up the opportunity here to be creative. xP

As for voting, I try to be as minimally biased as possible. By this, I don't compare image trees to traditional trees. I kind of set each entry into either category (or a little bit of both like mine) and rate accordingly. I've seen really beautiful image trees and some really beautiful traditional trees as well - don't want to vote down one just because I prefer one style over the other. smile.gif

Am I the only one giving blank trees high scores just for lulz? XP

No, you're not. ;D

Also, I just gave the tree that simply said "Yo" on it a 10. Because that is so ridiculous it made me smile.

Yeah, I'm having that reaction to a lot of things. Blue/purple/silver is a nice color scheme, for instance, but I've seen *so* many trees like that now that I'm becoming more critical of them.

I saw one tree that used the silver and gold dragon tree toppers with just a slight overlap to produce a halo effect, which was nice, and unique so far.

I've seen the overlapping treetopper dragons a few times, but I never noticed a halo effect.

Wonder what it looks like?

Oh dear, the more I read these posts, the more worried I get. xd.png I tossed around all these different ideas and decided to go for an attempted hybrid between an image and traditional tree... yet it looks like images aren't really getting good votes. I do love my tree though, despite me having to replace everything so many times because of the string of lights /shakefist. I only hope there are some players who don't mind images. xP

Exactly me too. I wanted to have a DragCave theme, so I did the word "DC" with a world map out of ornaments underneath.

Personally, I adore the image trees, as they take just as much - if not more - work planning, an they're much more unique. I've been rating what seems to be higher than everyone else so far: 6 or 7 for the most part, 8 if it's above average. My lowest was a 4 so far.

Here's one with all of the dragon toppers, and I'm giving it a 7. Why? Because the toppers are sitting on the "floor" hugging the presents.

The fact that the rest of the ornaments are "strewn" about the "floor" takes off two points. Pity. This was a cute idea.

I kinda feel bad about it, but I'm not very impressed with what I've seen so far. :|

Katamari Trees

I love this term. (And I've unfortunately seen a bunch of these trees, too.)

I haven't really seen many 'image' trees or 'I <3 TJ/DC' trees yet, though. Not that I'm looking forward to the latter. >_>

You know what I just thought of when I read your post?

Imagine if someone made a "WILL YOU MARRY ME, TJ/DC?" tree. xd.png

I think that if there were different coloured tree toppers, we'd see more variation in theme.

Eh, thats true... Would be kinda a neat if you could choose different styles of trees... Personally, I'd go for the ol' stand by, the natural green but talk about 'AHH, it hurts my eyes!' if you saw a gold tree...

Might be just me, though... I have sensitive eyes.

I actually made out a list of categories of the trees I've seen so far.

Empty Trees: Yeah...there's maybe 1 or 2 ornaments or none at all.

Messy Trees: Even if the tree looks nice, the random ornaments floating around the tree sort of detract from the over all affect. It's obvious the ornaments don't belong there (like the garland floating to the right far away from the tree). Maybe it was a glitch, maybe not, all I know is that the overall affect looks messy.

Basic Trees: There are some ornaments, 5 or 6, but the majority of the ornaments are from the first day(s).

Simple Trees: These trees have about 10 ornaments, but other then that they're arranged in a simple way and don't really stand out.

Traditional Trees: These are the trees that are covered in lights, with ornaments sort of striping across the tree. Maybe one of the stars/dragons/parrots are used as the toppers.

Random trees: No matter the ornaments, the entire tree looks random. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's bad.

Word trees: Trees where ornaments are used to spell out words or letters.

Colored trees: These trees are typically color coordinated. Maybe it's silver and blue, or gold and red. Whatever the color combination, it's obvious the tree was decorated with a certain color in mind.

Orderly trees: These trees were designed in an orderly way. It's obvious just by looking that there is a specific pattern, design, or style used. Maybe it's how the ornaments are laid out or how the garlands are strung.

Garland Trees: Trees where the garlands are the main decoration. No matter how many ornaments you put on it, the garlands are first and foremost important. Maybe the large 1 piece garlands are used, maybe the smaller individual garland pieces are used. The point is they're there, and you can tell that they are the center piece.

Star/Dragon/Parrot Trees: The large ornaments are the most important on these trees. They cover the trees and there is little room for the other ornaments.

Border Trees: Trees where the ornaments are not only on the trees, but around the tree as well.

Full Trees: What is this Katamari? This kind of tree seems to be covered with every single ornament that became available during the 12 days.

Shape Trees: Like the word trees, shape trees use the ornaments to form shapes like hearts, crosses, stars, etc.

Overlapping Trees: These types of trees have ornaments that overlap each other. The most common are the same dragons, same parrots, over each other to create a layered silver/gold look. Another popular overlapping scheme seems to be when a clear ornament is placed over a colored ornament.

This is the list I've been using to vote on the trees. Once I've placed it into a category then I vote based on smaller variables like layout, color layout, design, creativity, originality.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have enough ornaments for that, but you know what...

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I seen one.

@ Dawnwing: You're not alone. =) I've seen pretty decent image trees so far so I've been dishing out 6-7s mostly. There was one extraneous vote of 10 though.

@ below: I saw that one too! biggrin.gif Was very cute c:

Edited by Vampiric

xd.png

This has the gingerbread man on top, with the candycane as a "cane" and the trumpet as a hearing horn. ADORABLE!

Posting links, I'm attempting to get this straightened out, members are reporting their trees are being posted and they want the links removed. I have no real way of knowing which link belongs to who so please be patient, until I figure out what we need to do.

Until I hear from TJ please do not post tree links.

I actually made out a list of categories of the trees I've seen so far.

This is the list I've been using to vote on the trees. Once I've placed it into a category then I vote based on smaller variables like layout, color layout, design, creativity, originality.

Thanks, that was interesting.

Mine sort of falls into the "XXXX" category. You were almost spot on, made me cringe a little. I was happy with my tree though, but it's still nerve-wrecking to have it judged by so many others..><

Edit: Hopefully, I wasn't breaking any rules..so just in case..

Edited by geminigrl016

is TJ going to tell us if we are on the top 200 ??

I hope he will

I hope he does. I don't think I will but the email I used to sign up is my dad's so I don't check it and it won't let me change it to mine.

Well, if you see a tree with the following traits:

-rainbow color-shift going down the tree

-the silver and gold garlands layered almost on top of each other to give a "shadow" effect

-a dragon, three birds, and a tiny raptor using teamwork and creativity to put the finishing touches on the tree decorations

-one silver dragon perched atop the tree, trying to play a trumpet plugged up with a pinecone

-one gingerbread man clinging for dear life to a candy cane hooked on the silver dragon's tail while trying to escape a fiery doom

...Then that's my tree.  I *really* hope you like it.

EDIT:  If I should remove this post, someone just let me know.

For those, you get a 10 from me.

I LOVE creative ideas, rather than just decorating.

You know what I just thought of when I read your post?

Lol! I's feel bad for him if there were. No one needs a whole bunch or random people creeping on them with christmas trees. It's just not right.

Imagine if someone made a "WILL YOU MARRY ME, TJ/DC?" tree.

I lol'd. It'd, uh, certainly be a change from everyone who "<3's" TJ/DC. xd.png

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have enough ornaments for that, but you know what...

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I seen one.

Oh, logging in for all twelve days nets a lot of ornaments, I can imagine with enough creativity someone could maybe pull it off.

For those, you get a 10 from me.

I LOVE creative ideas, rather than just decorating.

Aw, really?? Thanks! xd.png I just really hope that when people see my tree, they can tell what I was trying to do.

The "DC", "YO", "TJ", "(Heart)", etc. trees are getting passed on by when they come up for me. Honestly, is this how people decorate their real trees? sad.gif

*joins everyone else bailing from the voting over crankiness*

Lol! I's feel bad for him if there were. No one needs a whole bunch or random people creeping on them with christmas trees. It's just not right.

Lulz, people have done it anyway.