TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I just saw one that I thought was really nice...and then the image fully loaded and it was like - Ornament Overload!

Too bad. If they stopped sooner I would have given it an 8.

Oh dear, the more I read these posts, the more worried I get. xd.png I tossed around all these different ideas and decided to go for an attempted hybrid between an image and traditional tree... yet it looks like images aren't really getting good votes. I do love my tree though, despite me having to replace everything so many times because of the string of lights /shakefist. I only hope there are some players who don't mind images. xP

Yeah... at first I thought that it was pretty creative, and then I saw it again, and again, and... again. o.o

Yeah, I'm having that reaction to a lot of things. Blue/purple/silver is a nice color scheme, for instance, but I've seen *so* many trees like that now that I'm becoming more critical of them.

I saw one tree that used the silver and gold dragon tree toppers with just a slight overlap to produce a halo effect, which was nice, and unique so far.

Ugh....stopping for now. I think my voting is getting worse the longer I go, lol. *needs to go to bed*

I think what might have happened was I hit submit before I started actually decorating, not realizing it wouldn't actually submit the saved changes afterwards.

Oh well.

Chalk it up to not reading the fine print I guess.

Kyshradi

I've had almost all Katamari Trees so far! (ie: Trees with almost, if not all, ornaments on it)

I've seen two smiley faces with ornaments for hats. I've seen a 38 and a 60. I've seen two hearts as well.

I've run into about three totally blank trees and two trees where all the ornaments were off the tree entirely.

And UFO Lights. Those are the best. (ie: Where a string of lights flies off the tree like it's floating there)

I don't think i've given any trees above a 6 yet. Nothing has really made me go "WOW! I wish I had done that!"

Although, I did like the dragons holding candles or snowglobes as toppers. I thought that was pretty unique.

Edited by MysticTiger

I think that one was completely on purpose, especially since the original tree had an angel tree topper.

I wasn't sure, TBH.

I saw one tree that I really liked- the birds were decorating it. biggrin.gif And there was a nice "traditional" style tree used only blue/silver ornaments. I gave both 9s. smile.gif

Edited by Khymarea

If I had a holly for every tree that spelled out "I <3 DC" I'd have over a dozen holly's by now.

Everyone of those gets a 1 from me.

I don't care whether they thought it was cute or they were intentionally sucking up. I think it looks cheesy and childish.

Ahh, but that I could show some examples of the two I gave 9s. THOSE are examples of artistic talent.

I've given about 60 trees 1-4. dry.gif

Decor Images here are the main attractions, IMO. People tend to give high numbers on those.

I'm actually giving 'image' tree's higher votes if they're well thought out. I like the creativity of them, and the fact that people were trying to do something different, actually make something out of the ornaments. smile.gif I've seen so many tree's that all look the exact same it's not even funny. I'm giving tree's that really stand out, that are really different, much higher scores! smile.gif

I think what might have happened was I hit submit before I started actually decorating, not realizing it wouldn't actually submit the saved changes afterwards.

Oh well.

Chalk it up to not reading the fine print I guess.

Kyshradi

Whatever your tree looks like when you click the little tree icon on your scroll is what's being voted on.

Oh dear, the more I read these posts, the more worried I get. xd.png I tossed around all these different ideas and decided to go for an attempted hybrid between an image and traditional tree... yet it looks like images aren't really getting good votes. I do love my tree though, despite me having to replace everything so many times because of the string of lights /shakefist. I only hope there are some players who don't mind images. xP

Yeah. Before I even started voting I made a list of things that I'd most likely see as a common decorating theme. Once I'd come up with that, I started off voting critically. I think the shape trees are actually really creative, it's all the variables involved that determine my vote. Like color scheme, other decorations, garlands, toppers, etc.

If I had a Holly for every silver-themeds, I'd have over a dozen. xP

Though, I will admit; the silver ornaments are very pretty but going for just a silver theme, is... Well, meh.

Now if it was silver decorations on a silver tree, then I think the person is a little addicted to silver. tongue.gif

Whatever your tree looks like when you click the little tree icon on your scroll is what's being voted on.

Carp. I had this awesome design and everything. I've no idea what went wrong.

MAN. If I had a holly for every time I saw someone put the TJ Diamond in between the silver western's wings...

I would have ... two hollies. Whoops.

If I had a SILVER...

Aw, and I thought I was being original... who announced that idea to the world? -looks around acusingly-

Anyways, up to now, I've seen a rainbow tree, a hundred traditional trees, and one literal shrine to TJ. blink.gif

~~~

Yeah, I realize that, I just didn't know if there was something wonky or not with it.

Kyshradi

I saw one tree that used the silver and gold dragon tree toppers with just a slight overlap to produce a halo effect, which was nice, and unique so far.

I've seen at least two like that and I-don't-know-how-many that overlapped the stars. Still and all, though, it's not a bad look.

Ugh....stopping for now. I think my voting is getting worse the longer I go, lol. *needs to go to bed*

I feel the same way.

it might be, when submit tree first came out

the changes weren't saving and some trees reset

I made sure to go back and check my tree often after hitting submit to make sure everything was in order, especially after I saw TJ fixed it and it starting saving changes again wink.gif

edited to add: no it's not just you, I know I saw the same tree twice :/

Edited by Merenwen

If I had a Holly for every silver-themeds, I'd have over a dozen. xP

Though, I will admit; the silver ornaments are very pretty but going for just a silver theme, is... Well, meh.

Now if it was silver decorations on a silver tree, then I think the person is a little addicted to silver. tongue.gif

I think that if there were different coloured tree toppers, we'd see more variation in theme.

I've had a few trees come up where an ornament was in the way of the voting button... I feel bad for the decorators because, unless that's fixed, they're not going to get any votes and won't have a chance at the prizes.  Edit: Oooh, thank you, Silverstreak, that's very good to know.

I'm getting a real feel for the voting, or at least for how I do it...

1 = tree not decorated at all, either blank or with random junk thrown around the page.

2 = tree kind of decorated but really messy and lots of random floaters that weren't cleared off.

3 = tree very messy/busy or has barely anything on it, ornaments overlapping where they shouldn't, and/or lots of floaters, but some thought put into it.

4 = Thought put into it, but either too much or not enough on the tree.

5 = Decently balanced but not especially exciting.

6 = Decently balanced and I kinda like it.  Some kind of theme has appeared.

7 = Good thought put into it, and I can keep looking at it for a little while without getting uncomfortable.

8 = Something made me smile or snicker for a minute.

9 = It got a big grin or a real laugh out of me.

10 = Pure awesomesauce.

Now that I've kind of figured that out for myself it's getting really easy to vote on the trees quickly and not dither over where it falls on the scale. smile.gif

I have to say these guidelines are pretty much in agreement with what I'm looking for. It's got to be at least a seven or eight if I'd allow it in my house! smile.gif

I kinda feel bad about it, but I'm not very impressed with what I've seen so far. :|

Katamari Trees

I love this term. (And I've unfortunately seen a bunch of these trees, too.)

I haven't really seen many 'image' trees or 'I <3 TJ/DC' trees yet, though. Not that I'm looking forward to the latter. >_>

That's why I waited until yesterday to submit my tree. And that was after setting my ornaments out just the way I wanted, clicking back to my scroll, and then back to my tree to make sure things stayed the way I wanted. It's a good thing I did, because a couple of the ornaments glitched a few times until it stayed the way I liked. It's that way now