DragoneAddict

The Inheritance Series

ReadinG the series is on my to do list..

After reading so many good comments on the swords Im really interested biggrin.gif

I enjoyed the books for the most part, but I found Inheritence was hard to finish. He tends to over explain things, and it got dry in many places. I also ended up liking Roran more simply because he was more relatable and realistic than his Gary Stu cousin. Eragon turned into a perfect character, who always did everything right, and had little actual personality besides that.

Crits aside, being a science nerd, I found the twist of the nuclear spell quiet interesting. I loved the way he explained it, however the damage wasn't as extensive as it should have been. The castle in Uru'braen was still mainly intact, which is unrealistic considering the spells Eragon and Galbatorix cast. Look at me, trying to be realistic with a fantasy novel... *shakes head*

I also like the way he gave Galbatorix a purpose, and instead of just being evil for the sake of being evil, making him believe that what he was doing was right and that he had been kind. Those kind of characters have you wondering who to hate and who to root for, making for a more interesting read, or at least I think so.

Anyways... It was a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I do wish he had been more original. The plot, as well as some of the names were borrowed from Tolkien, Star Wars, and even Poe (a line of "The Raven" refers to a city named Gilead, just in case you didn't know).

So I'm guessing Eragon has a relationship with Arya? (I think that's her name.)

Sorry about any spoilers...

SPOILER ALERT:

In the chapter when Arya and Eragon are in Tialdari Hall (I think that's how you spell it), Eragon makes a romantic advance on Arya which she rejects and says that he should give up trying to get her to love him, and that their love would never last.

Doru Araeba had monsters that could harm them. A rider, a long time ago, cast a spell on it to protect the island, releasing all his, magic energy, making new creatures develop on the place.

What happenened to Doru Araeba sounded much like radiation to me.

"Bad energy" on the island, mutated animals ... I keep asking myself what the heck this rider did xd.png

But maybe I simply didn't understand it well enough. Didn't want to wait for the release of the German version and read it in English.

But if I'm right - radiation would be a very good reason to NOT raise little dragons in a certain place biggrin.gif

Edited by Gluria

When I first read the books I thought they were wonderful, but now...not so much :/ The concepts are really cool, but I honestly felt that it was too much 'tell' and not enough 'show'- the books could have been a lot shorter if the unnecessary details had been cut out.

I found the first one great- but the second was difficult to get into, and there were some unnecessary detail, but without letting you into what the characters were thinking. In short- it was a good storyline, but could have been told better.

This is by no stretch of the imagination the best book series ever. Loved it so much that I am the registered "Shadeslayer" on the IRC. I think the story never left me out of suspense and ALWAYS kept it glued to my hands.

Kvetha Fricaya. Atra du evarinya ono varda.

i loved the inheritance series! i have read all of them now and the only real complaint i have with the whole series or rather the last book of it was that Chris ended it so suddenly and left us all with questions through the whole series. i can't remember My questions right now... i would have to reread the series again and write down those questions again to remember. but those were my only complaints, other than that it was a wonderful set of books and i loved the interaction of all the characters and their development of both character and plot. i just wish that they would remake the movie so that it fits more precisely with the first book... the movie had many wrongs done with it and actually i think Chris should never have allowed it to pass with so many flaws in it especially with Saphiras' wings!!! why on earth would he allow them to place feathered wings on her instead of normal leather'ed wings as was described in the first book??? it is very beyond me... i know the movie cannot be totally complete as that would be forever long sitting in the theater but still the details they did give in the movie could have at least obtained a quality of upholding to the book better than what was the final content... sigh...

Edited by blazingstar22

Finally finished the last of the books. It took me a while to finally sit down and read it.

*generic spoiler warning*

I was disappointed the last dragon egg went to Arya. That was too predictable for me; I was hoping for a surprise or even someone we'd never met before.

Finally finished the last of the books. It took me a while to finally sit down and read it.

*generic spoiler warning*

Ah, but then it wouldn't be the Inheritance cycle. Honestly the book was filled with cliches.

Ah, but then it wouldn't be the Inheritance cycle. Honestly the book was filled with cliches.

I honestly was hoping it would be Elva. That would have been all sorts of awesome, but yah, it is a sort of classic storyline.

I honestly was hoping it would be Elva. That would have been all sorts of awesome, but yah, it is a sort of classic storyline.

I'm not the only one who wanted that? xd.png Cool!

...for whatever reason... I seem to favor the "evil characters" in books. Here too, though everything seemed a bit shallow in the end. Sudden endings... constant questions (am I the only one who wants to know more about Angela or are there others?) about certain people... predictibleness and it repeats. The books had their moments though, sometimes a bit too much of a moment *shudders on pages of sword making*

Oh and Gluria: what happened there made me keep thinking radiation (possibly because I was going through nuclear in chemistry and we were talking about it) but I mulled it over a bit afterword... all I came up with was that energy does weird stuff depending on who uses it and the purposes.

Sad, yes. Not anywhere close to what all that probably meant? I'd bet it isn't close at all.

All other sayings aside... I did love the books. I wished for a bit better storyline and less explanitory explaniness on certain things that didn't really need to be explained in so much detail but in the end I'll always be a fan and look forward to whatever books come next. Especially if they tie up secrets unanswered.

(yes I used words that are not really words- please don't yell.)

I need to read the last book. Eragon really cannot be considered "normal" emotionally, but that may or may not have come with the psychopathic dragon.

And having Elva as a dragon rider would have been so awesome.

Oh and Gluria: what happened there made me keep thinking radiation (possibly because I was going through nuclear in chemistry and we were talking about it) but I mulled it over a bit afterword... all I came up with was that energy does weird stuff depending on who uses it and the purposes.

I was thinking the same thing (we just started learning about nuclear energy when I read that part too). It's been a while, but IIRC, energy is loose atoms and electrons and if they're excited, they can create nuclear fusion and cause radiation. But I'm probably way off on that. Way, way off. Anywho, the science nerd in me enjoyed the way he explained that bit.

What I found a little too Sue-ish was when Eragon and Saphira were in the storm and were pushed up so high they could see the earth curving and the stars clearly, which makes me wonder if they got pushed beyond the atmosphere into space. While I thought the description of it was nice and not in too much depth as most of the book, it was just too unbelievable, even for a fantasy book. And the fact that a simple, effortless spell kept them warm and enabled them to breathe. There were a lot of other Sue-ish scenes, but the storm stood out the most IMO.

What I found a little too Sue-ish was when Eragon and Saphira were in the storm and were pushed up so high they could see the earth curving and the stars clearly, which makes me wonder if they got pushed beyond the atmosphere into space.

No storm pushes you up into space, and if Paolini honestly wrote that to mean they were pushed up into space, I am surprised at his lack of knowledge. But then again, I shouldn't be surprised. There are so many Sue stuff in there already.