DragoneAddict

The Inheritance Series

I almost brought the last book with the money my University gave me to buy books with, but I brought the newest DiscWorld book instead... It should be a lot better, and carrying it won't break my spine.

I'm currently reading the last book in the series and half way through it. So far I like the book but noticed that there could of been better ways to written some of the chapters I've read so far.

I also hate how much he flips between Eragon and Roran. It's annoying and honestly, I hate Roran.

*raises hand* I did.

Also, relevant link is relevant.

That article is wrong beyond camparison.

Eragon... a sociopath... please. If any character in the series is a sociopath, its Galbatorix because (book 4 spoiler alert) He had Murtagh capture Nasuada, and her and Galbatorix share dialouge.

Eragon... a sociopath... please. If any character in the series is a sociopath, its Galbatorix because (book 4 spoiler alert) He had Murtagh capture Nasuada, and her and Galbatorix share dialouge.

I totally agree with you on that. Eragon is a hero, not your average day Batman, but a hero still.

Eragon... a sociopath... please.

Well then, prove 'em wrong.

Refute their arguments. Provide counterexamples.

'Cause just saying "Oh please" doesn't convince me, but I haven't read the third and fourth books, so I have no examples of my own.

I don't like these books very much. the only reason people seem to like it is because it has dragons in it.

Dragons, as plot devices, are almost never used well.

I agree.

*pokes quote*

I agree. Yet, I always knew Galbatorix would be a sociopath... one of the things I found all too predictable in these books.

Now I can see some of what that 'relevant link' is getting to... some of the stuff Eragon did was without need- completely wrong or otherwise- we still didn't see a good enough reason (or one at all in some cases) for him to do whatever it was in question at that moment. Though for that to completely toss everything else out the window... ok, now why'd we throw that out the window? Because we wanted to. No real reason aside from want. Which, Eragon does as well.

So, aside from me making something in this post that drudges up an article from Jan 19th... lets drudge up stuff from recent... like, say, the new book.

I liked it. Not loved it. Liked it. I would've liked to see Roran die in the first chapter (which is what I thought when I read it before promptly getting it thrown across the room by a friend who asked me to read aloud what I was laughing about) than continue on to chapters being switched from one person to another. I've read books like that before (Icefire, Firestar and the rest that goes with those) and it ended up annoying me for a while before confusing me for a second then getting back to being annoyed. I really could have cared less about Roran, but then again, I'm not here to bash about how I'm not too fond of Roran (or Eragon for that matter). I'm here to add my two cents on what 'twists' I would have liked to read about. Which, now I'm done with.

One more thing: Angela, if something comes up to where we will know more about you than we do already... I'm looking forward to it.

Now commence the rock throwing! I'll be over here watching smile.gif

some of the stuff Eragon did was without need- completely wrong or otherwise- we still didn't see a good enough reason (or one at all in some cases) for him to do whatever it was in question at that moment.

Which is why I grew sick of the Sword of Truth Saga. It was becoming a blatant tool for the author to preach his beliefs. I liked Richard, sure, I just got annoyed when he was doing the same thing as the anti-hero. Same goes for Eragon. Vegan atheist elves? I'm an atheist and I found it ridiculous. Eragon progresses from a mary-sue-esque-but-somewhat-believable-under-the-circumstances-boy to what I see as a bully. I hated that. There should have been actual, believable character changes, as with Arya in A Song of Ice and Fire series. I also think that under no circumstances should an author a. preach his/her beliefs in the book or b. make his/her character inconsistent with the story. The kid progresses from a guy on a farm to killing everyone in a relatively short period of time-with no PTSD. Guy must be pretty hard-hearted.

Edited by ylangylang

Can contain spoilers!

I was surprised how much I liked book 4.

I liked the first three, but there were lots of things which got on my nerves (e.g. Eragon), but in the end I think it came to a good end and I'm absolutely happy with Murtagh's end. He was the character I worried about the most ♥

I found it somehow unnecessary that Eragon has to leave Alagaesia for good - but okay, Paolini said it in book one, now he had to go the way he chose to the end. But I am very sure Eragon could find the time to visit his old friends sometimes - especially because he has a veeeery long time to live.

But okay, it's fine.

I hope there will be another book. Paolini wrote something about a standalone sequel. I hope for a book about Murtagh's life biggrin.gif

I liked Roran at the beginning, but as he kept just surviving everything and slamming everything down with his hammer, he seriously began to go on my nerves, I didn't read the parts with the fight against Barst completely (didn't care about Islanzadi either). Bah.

Eragon developed in my eyes from a whining kiddy to a character I at least didn't absolutely dislike any more.

Besides Murtagh, I liked Angela and Glaedr the most. And, of course, every single werecat and Saphira.

Edited by Gluria

Inheritence was a cop-out. A complete cop-out.

The ending. The beginning--wait, no, I liked the beginning. Most of the middle.

The Roran chapters were so boring that I almost stabbed my own eyes out.

Katrina remained perfect and uninteresting.

And I still like Arya.

Islanzadi's death was so non-epic, I have nothing else to say about it.

Inheritence was literally the best book I have EVER read in my life. I loved it sooooo much, and I hope the Pallioni doesn't give up on Alagaesia just yet smile.gif

I was really hoping Nasuada and Murtagh were going to get together. They were so perfect!

Inheritence was literally the best book I have EVER read in my life. I loved it sooooo much, and I hope the Pallioni doesn't give up on Alagaesia just yet smile.gif

I was really hoping Nasuada and Murtagh were going to get together. They were so perfect!

While I did enjoy the book, I would suggest reading more books if that was the best you've read. Harry Potter for one is far better, both based on pure quality of writing/literature AND story wise. Ender's Game is a classic, and a fabulous read whether you like Sci-Fi or not. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books are also far superior to Paolini's writing.

While I did enjoy the book, I would suggest reading more books if that was the best you've read. Harry Potter for one is far better, both based on pure quality of writing/literature AND story wise. Ender's Game is a classic, and a fabulous read whether you like Sci-Fi or not. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books are also far superior to Paolini's writing.

I started to read Lord of the Rings, but it was incredibly boring to me. Eragon captured my attention, and when the book got started it just took off. Right now I'm halfway throught the fourth, and blasting through it. I love it, but Roran is seriously starting to get on my nerves. A lot.

I really hope Paolini writes some more about after Eragon left Alagaesia. I mean, he really left off with a lot of things unanswered, and the series has a lot more potential.

Also, I wasn't surprised at all when the last egg hatched for Arya in Inheritance.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in Paolini. Very.

He had so many things going on that could've made the plot richer. In fact, even though the fans might scream bloody murder, I think he should've split Inheritance up to fit all those in. Otherwise, he should've just not written those things. For example, there was sort of a brothers' love triangle going on; Nasuada-Murtagh, Eragon-Arya, and Roran-Katrina.

He could've also expanded upon the discrimination between the different races and not made the confrontation between Galby and Eragon so stereotypical (aka: hero marches into room w/ boss after going through lots and lots of hardships and challenges and traps and then fights boss, directly or indirectly, nearly loses, and then makes [epic] comeback and kills boss).

Paolini also didn't fulfill all his promises. he did say that he'd have a few chapters from Murtagh's POV. And what do we get? Nothing.

My theory on what happened to him:

He mentioned in the Steinbeck festival that he was TIRED of the story and really wanted to move on to other stories he had brewed up during those ten or so years he was chained up doing Inheritance cycle. So he was so eager to get to those stories that he tripped over himself in his excitement and left a sloppy ending in Inheritance.

Well, if I was copying the Star Wars plot for four whole books I'd be tired of writing it too. There's nothing original or unique to have made Paolini excited about writing. He's not a very good author, period.

ohmy.gifohmy.gif Major Spoiler Alert!! ADVERT YOUR EEEEYES or not if you don't care.

You know how there are some people who appreciate good, well-developed, twisted, realistic literature... who also love to read Twilight but hate themselves for it because it's like a drug(no word play intended)? I feel the same way about the Inheritance cycle.

The writing may not be superb, nor the plot depth... nooor the character development... and he might have bummed ideas off of other authors... but there is something about getting completely lost in a fantasy world for hours that pulls at a person's soul, you know? This cycle has that effect on me, and I love it. (even if I am still frustrated about all thee--*mrrmphgrrrrrincoherentmuttering*)

I have to say that one thing I really appreciate was the spell... that ONE spell that Eragon and the Eldunari cast over Galbatorix. That spell that made him understand... wow! How powerful! That spell and the vision of the sleeping starlings' dreams being as important as the concerns of a king. I wish Paolini had worked on that and developed that more, because that is so beautiful!

I wish that Galbatorix had not killed himself after that spell. It would have been great to have him live and see what he would do with his life after that spell.

Anyway, there is my two cents smile.gif

I love this series. I attempted to read Eragon several times when I was younger but never could understand what was happening. I tried again a few months ago and found that hey, it's a great series. Personally, I think they are written very well...I can never quite predict what's going to happen in these books, where, in most series, I can tell pretty early on. I just started the fourth book today...it's great so far.

*dances around happily holding Inheritance*

It finally came in!!!! biggrin.gif

Edited by evangeline5432

When I first picked up the Eragon book I was skeptical, and once I finished it I was hooked.

Most sites I join now my name is always Saphira3883, based off Saphira of course tongue.gif

A lot of people said they were upset with the last book, but I still liked it. I love the inheritance series, its one of my favorite series of books.

I have grown to disdain these books. The thing is, they aren't as popular as the series that shall hereafter been known as the T, (Twilight) which lulls people into thinking they are good.

Sure the series is good.. but it doesn't deliver like other stories do.

The last book just made me really mad. But it was at least better than the T

Well, I got Inheritance when it first came out... and... due to my life eating my freetime, I have only read the first two pages... which is killing me.

It's sitting there yelling at me to read it (or so my head says... which may or may not be a good thing- haven't decided) and I can't. Don't have time...