DragoneAddict

The Inheritance Series

I love this series! I read each of the three books already out about thirty times a piece. happy.gif I have the money to get number four, but my mom says, "NO! Not during holiday season when somebody might already have gotten it for you!" So... I can no longer read it until after effin Christmas. :|

Oh god, philpot123 that is even more disappointing.

Y'know, I had a fanfic in my mind, where Eragon manned the censorkip.gif up and did something. I am going to write it, just to make myself feel better.

censorkip.gif you, Paolini!

First, I crashed Eragon/Arya, just for lulz. Mwahahaha! Then the green egg hatches for a avid (female) supporter of Galby and together with Murtagh they force Eragon into hiding and running. LOL! He realizes that he really needs backup and goes to...um...Vroengard, was it?...with two elves to, y'know, get help or something. That part needs more brainwork.

Then foreshadowing! Lots of it! So, they stop at that old Rider outpost, Utgard. And, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! The Vault of Souls is there instead! Mwahaha! It does not contain Eldunaris, oh no! It contains four dragon eggs. Ha. So they go back to the Varden to get the eggs to hatch, one egg hatches for one of the elves who are with Eragon. I decided to call the elf Radhur and the dragon Ohen. He is black. Oh, and two of the eggs are female.

So, they get back to Varden (who haven't gone anywhere from Feinster. Frrrr.) and let people to try and get the eggs to hatch. But, OHNOES, Murtagh and [green Rider] show up again. But this time Eragon has a plan. He works together with the elves and cuts off Murtagh's Eldunari supply and gets them to work against [green Rider]. LOOPHOLES! Eragon takes Murtagh's Eldunaris so Galby can't use them anymore. Murtagh falls captive along with Thorn and [green Rider] escapes. And yes, she has managed to do a lot of damage.

First, she cut off Eragon's right hand, so he has to learn to do things only with his left hand. Hrrr. Secondly, she killed Katrina, who had given birth meanwhile. (Timeline needs work.) And this drives Roran half-insane and he blames her death on Eragon. Roran absolutely hates Eragon. EMOTIONAL CONFLICT IN YOUR FACE, PAOLINI!

So, Eragon tries to set things right but Roran doesn't listen to him anyone. It's just him and the baby. And Eragon has more important things to do. Like getting info from Murtagh. Watching over new dragon eggs and Riders. Getting a freedom license from Nasuada (He's bound to her, remember?) to establish a new Rider order. He hasn't got time for a grieving cousin.

Meanwhile, another (orange) dragon called Briam has hatched for a human called Huril. He's with the Varden. Eragon and the elves need to train him. So they do. The remaining two eggs are sent to the elves, where a blue female hatches. (Why do dragons hatch so rapidly? I came up with an explanation that they sense that they are needed and try to repopulate really fast or some censorkip.gif like that. Needs work.)

The war turns into the waiting game. Varden wait for their dragons to grow up. Galby waits for the Varden to come to him. Eragon talks to Murtagh. Is nice to him. Gets him a cat. Tells him about his plan to build a new Rider order. Tries him to coax to give the Varden a second chance. Promises to take him into the new Rider order so Eragon's reputation would protect Murtagh being revenge murdered.

Meanwhile, Thorn and Saphira get close and have eggs. That seems a bit too out of character, so I probably need to cut it out. *thinks* Yeah, I'm going to leave that out. Or have them do it towards the end of the fanfic.

censorkip.gif happens. [green Rider] may or may not have something to do with this. Needs work.

Ha. The Varden have decided to take the first step and conquer...Belatona, I think it was. Murtagh overcomes his hating on the world, changes his true name and helps the Varden. Thorn having a crush on Saphira might have something to do with this but IDK.

Glaedr comes out of his shell and continues to tutor Eragon. Eragon figures from the hints Murtagh has been dropping that he's gay Galby is looking for the true name of magic. So he casts the same spell on the name of magic that Galby cast on his own name. Some assistance from Murtagh, Glaedr and Radhur is needed. Or some censorkip.gif like that.

censorkip.gif happens. [green Rider] may or may not have something to do with this. Needs work.

The new order expands even more; a human girl called Ciala and her dragon Luadha join it. Ciala is from Belatona but Eragon convinces her to join him. Possibly with his ruggedness and the 'Trust me. I'm a professional and I know what I do.' attitude. A giant dragon standing behind him might have something to do with this but IDK.

Lots of time pass, dragons mature and stuff happens. Stuff that I won't discuss here.

Ciala and Eragon get close. She's a fiery, short-tempered thief girl and he has ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY!!! They're opposites. Opposites attract. He's also her mentor.

Too bad she gets killed in the final battle. That will be gruesome. Eragon fight Galby, others fight [green Rider], yaddayadda.

Galby is really powerful and tries to show that he has even more dance moves power and tries to speak the true name of magic, the universe and everything. He dies. [green Rider] tries to resist but Eldunaris, now free from Galby, refuse to assist her and she is killed.

Eragon decides that he can't live in Alagaesia anymore and leaves. Before leaving, he passes the leadership of Riders over to Murtagh and Radhur and tries to mend the broken family ties with Roran one more time but he still won't listen to him.

Eragon flies away with Saphira.

THE END. There may or may not be a sequel to this. ninja.gif

And I'm totally not insane.

What do you think?

*brick'd*

*shot*

*brick'd again*

*brutally murdered*

I like it! I'd totally read that. xd.png

Oh god, philpot123 that is even more disappointing.

Y'know, I had a fanfic in my mind, where Eragon manned the censorkip.gif up and did something. I am going to write it, just to make myself feel better.

censorkip.gif you, Paolini!

First, I crashed Eragon/Arya, just for lulz. Mwahahaha! Then the green egg hatches for a avid (female) supporter of Galby and together with Murtagh they force Eragon into hiding and running. LOL! He realizes that he really needs backup and goes to...um...Vroengard, was it?...with two elves to, y'know, get help or something. That part needs more brainwork.

Then foreshadowing! Lots of it! So, they stop at that old Rider outpost, Utgard. And, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! The Vault of Souls is there instead! Mwahaha! It does not contain Eldunaris, oh no! It contains four dragon eggs. Ha. So they go back to the Varden to get the eggs to hatch, one egg hatches for one of the elves who are with Eragon. I decided to call the elf Radhur and the dragon Ohen. He is black. Oh, and two of the eggs are female.

So, they get back to Varden (who haven't gone anywhere from Feinster. Frrrr.) and let people to try and get the eggs to hatch. But, OHNOES, Murtagh and [green Rider] show up again. But this time Eragon has a plan. He works together with the elves and cuts off Murtagh's Eldunari supply and gets them to work against [green Rider]. LOOPHOLES! Eragon takes Murtagh's Eldunaris so Galby can't use them anymore. Murtagh falls captive along with Thorn and [green Rider] escapes. And yes, she has managed to do a lot of damage.

First, she cut off Eragon's right hand, so he has to learn to do things only with his left hand. Hrrr. Secondly, she killed Katrina, who had given birth meanwhile. (Timeline needs work.) And this drives Roran half-insane and he blames her death on Eragon. Roran absolutely hates Eragon. EMOTIONAL CONFLICT IN YOUR FACE, PAOLINI!

So, Eragon tries to set things right but Roran doesn't listen to him anyone. It's just him and the baby. And Eragon has more important things to do. Like getting info from Murtagh. Watching over new dragon eggs and Riders. Getting a freedom license from Nasuada (He's bound to her, remember?) to establish a new Rider order. He hasn't got time for a grieving cousin.

Meanwhile, another (orange) dragon called Briam has hatched for a human called Huril. He's with the Varden. Eragon and the elves need to train him. So they do. The remaining two eggs are sent to the elves, where a blue female hatches. (Why do dragons hatch so rapidly? I came up with an explanation that they sense that they are needed and try to repopulate really fast or some censorkip.gif like that. Needs work.)

The war turns into the waiting game. Varden wait for their dragons to grow up. Galby waits for the Varden to come to him. Eragon talks to Murtagh. Is nice to him. Gets him a cat. Tells him about his plan to build a new Rider order. Tries him to coax to give the Varden a second chance. Promises to take him into the new Rider order so Eragon's reputation would protect Murtagh being revenge murdered.

Meanwhile, Thorn and Saphira get close and have eggs. That seems a bit too out of character, so I probably need to cut it out. *thinks* Yeah, I'm going to leave that out. Or have them do it towards the end of the fanfic.

Ha. The Varden have decided to take the first step and conquer...Belatona, I think it was. Murtagh overcomes his hating on the world, changes his true name and helps the Varden. Thorn having a crush on Saphira might have something to do with this but IDK.

Glaedr comes out of his shell and continues to tutor Eragon. Eragon figures from the hints Murtagh has been dropping that he's gay Galby is looking for the true name of magic. So he casts the same spell on the name of magic that Galby cast on his own name. Some assistance from Murtagh, Glaedr and Radhur is needed. Or some censorkip.gif like that.

The new order expands even more; a human girl called Ciala and her dragon Luadha join it. Ciala is from Belatona but Eragon convinces her to join him. Possibly with his ruggedness and the 'Trust me. I'm a professional and I know what I do.' attitude. A giant dragon standing behind him might have something to do with this but IDK.

Lots of time pass, dragons mature and stuff happens. Stuff that I won't discuss here.

Ciala and Eragon get close. She's a fiery, short-tempered thief girl and he has ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY!!! They're opposites. Opposites attract. He's also her mentor.

Too bad she gets killed in the final battle. That will be gruesome. Eragon fight Galby, others fight [green Rider], yaddayadda.

Galby is really powerful and tries to show that he has even more dance moves power and tries to speak the true name of magic, the universe and everything. He dies. [green Rider] tries to resist but Eldunaris, now free from Galby, refuse to assist her and she is killed.

Eragon decides that he can't live in Alagaesia anymore and leaves. Before leaving, he passes the leadership of Riders over to Murtagh and Radhur and tries to mend the broken family ties with Roran one more time but he still won't listen to him.

Eragon flies away with Saphira.

THE END. There may or may not be a sequel to this. ninja.gif

And I'm totally not insane.

What do you think?

*brick'd*

*shot*

*brick'd again*

*brutally murdered*

Ok, you apparently don't like Eragon. You don't have to be mean bout it. Go take your hate and cursing somewhere else where people will care.

I love this series! I read each of the three books already out about thirty times a piece. happy.gif I have the money to get number four, but my mom says, "NO! Not during holiday season when somebody might already have gotten it for you!" So... I can no longer read it until after effin Christmas. :|

That usually means yur mum already gots it for you. My dad pre- ordered it in April and the price got cut in half. I got it the day after it wuz realesed and I got it as a 6 day late birthday present!

That usually means yur mum already gots it for you. My dad pre- ordered it in April and the price got cut in half. I got it the day after it wuz realesed and I got it as a 6 day late birthday present!

Yea, that I kind of figured. I can't wait until Christmas though. D'X That's over a month away, and I could easily go get it now. I will have a spaz attack if I can't get my hands on it soon. >.>

Yea, that I kind of figured. I can't wait until Christmas though. D'X That's over a month away, and I could easily go get it now. I will have a spaz attack if I can't get my hands on it soon. >.>

Don't worry! I bet you can find online excerpts!

I'm so happy tongue.gif My scroll is now crawling with name placeholders with names from various dragons, elves, and other creatures mentioned throughout the Inheritance cycle! >:] Of course I'll have to guess the color of most of the dragons.

Which got me to thinking that I would really like it if C.P came out with a short guide or something that lists all known dragons and their color, gender, and rider (or if they were wild) from before the fall. I'd buy it in a heart beat tongue.gif

Go take your hate and cursing somewhere else where people will care.

I care. So they've come to the right place, now haven't they? ;)

How big is the last book? If it's shorter than the third one, I might try to wrestle my way through it over Christmas break.

Ok, you apparently don't like Eragon. You don't have to be mean bout it. Go take your hate and cursing somewhere else where people will care.

Nono, you don't understand. I like the series. If I didn't, I would have killed him, right? And do other nasty stuff to him. I was just very disappointed and angry with Inheritance. I'm not that much anymore. But I still like my version more.

And, like Stromboli said, this is the place where people care. Where else? InheritanceForums? Well, I do have an account there but I'm afraid to show my face to them because I started a Sci-Fi story about Dragon Riders in space with plasma cannons and other hi-tech stuff. But then I realized that I can't write and I'm afraid that if I go there, people will demand more chapters which I can't give them. unsure.gif

If you find that something could be improved about my ideas, don't be afraid to PM me. smile.gif But please don't insult me, OK? sad.gif Then I will be polite and respectful towards you as well.

Oh, and the 'Roran hates Eragon' comes from another fan. I just really liked the motive. It's...original.

AS all you readers of the Inheritance cycle may know, the final book came out Nov. 8.

I created this thread to hear your thoughts on the book and the series in general. I am sad to see the series end, but if you love something (especially with dragons) let it go. sad.gif

I can`t read that tropic here without knowing what`s in the new book. Here in germany I can buy it at the 19.11 I still have to wait until Saturday.

I really want to know how it end and I wish that Arya and Eragon can be together I really feel sorry for Eragon as she told him that they can`t be together.

I have to wait 3 days, then I will hold the new book in my hands and when I read it I can tell if I like how it ends or not. I loved the other Eragon books and I read all of them again because it is years ago until I read them the last time.

I don't like these books very much. When I was in middle school I liked them, but then I realized they were basically high-fantasy copies of Star Wars. The plot's not that good and the only reason people seem to like it is because it has dragons in it. :\

Dragons, as plot devices, are almost never used well.

Oh, wow. After reading what Philpot wrote, I'm glad I dropped this series after 2nd book, continuing would have been a waste of my time.

Thar be better books about dragons out there. /brick'd

Oh, wow. After reading what Philpot wrote, I'm glad I dropped this series after 2nd book, continuing would have been a waste of my time.

Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight and Dragon Spear by Jessica Day George.

Go find them. They healed the hurt Eragon did to me. (Every dragon and person in Eragon don't even come close to forming a particle of the characters that are Shardas, Creel, Luka... all of them. ... why have I not bought these books for my own/made a topic for them?! -goes to fix that-)

I dropped it after the second book - actually never even finished the second book was finding it far too boring.

But true there are far better dragon books out there.

I dropped it after the second book - actually never even finished the second book was finding it far too boring.

But true there are far better dragon books out there.

When you never end reading the 4 eragon books how can you say there are better dragon books? I never forming myself an opinion over an book where I don`t know the end.

When you never end reading the 4 eragon books how can you say there are better dragon books? I never forming myself an opinion over an book where I don`t know the end.

That's like, if you're eating at a restaurant and you eat some bread that has mold on it, and decides to eat at another restaurant-and the manager comes up to you and says, "how do you know if there is better bread when you've not finished it?"

An book is nothing to eat...

I meant that you can pretty much gauge how good a book is by the time you go to chapter 2, for me anyways. Because the author's ability is reflected in his style of writing, for me the dialogue and description and all that, and Paolini had me bored and questioning certain decisions he had made from the very start. The book itself, while wasn't very good, showed various points that could have been made better- but it didn't, as I see from the plot and the way he devotes 100+ pages to Dwarf politics. I mean, come on! I'm a pol-sci major and that stuff is a. a bit unrealistic and b. boring. Sadly there were too many such points to really hold my attention.

For example, in Agatha Christie's books, there's at least one murder before chapter four-which immediately draws our attention. Eragon didn't really have that AHA! moment except in the first book. Christie's books also have much more fluid and developed characters and dialogue, whereas in Eragon everyone speaks like a high school geek. As for the description-I really have nothing to say but that Paolini needs to hone his writing skills. Lots of stuff in Eragon isn't really developed, there are many questions that gets unresolved, leaving the reader clueless-which isn't a good sign.

It's impressive for a 17 year old, sure, but it really doesn't deserve the hype it got. Yeah, I wrote an impressive story when I was 13, did I publish it? No, as it was impressive for a 13 year old and a 13 year old only. It's nowhere the level as it should be for a professional writer, and when I look back on it as a 20-something year old, it's pitiful, and it should be. (Which is why I'm still not pursuing a career in writing even though many years have passed-I think I need to be a bit older, have more experiences, and practice more before I start writing. Many great writers were quite old when they started writing.)

But whatever, that's why people stop reading the books before the series is finished, I do still have to read it to my nieces and nephews though, who are understandably a bit bored with it already.

Edited by ylangylang

I wrote a good 320 pages being the tender of 12. Now the story is as bad as it could be, considering the age. I've grown, matured, and I see myself reflected in Paolini in many ways because I also made some of his mistakes when I was 15 (like purple prose, and uber awesome characters). The difference is that now, being 26, and with more experience, I take into account all criticism I receive, I try to look at my work from a very critical perspective and learn from my mistakes.

Whereas, Paolini, being 29 right now (that's right, guys, he was born in 1982), is still making the same mistakes.

I haven't read the book, but I read a summary and how could Eragon kill the King? I was puzzled by that.

All I care about is that there are more dragons involved in the book finally. I was expecting Saphira and Thorn to have kids and they don't.

Oh well, guess everything can't happen the way you want it to.

I like the series, mainly because dragons but also because I like Paolini's vivid style of writing. I feel like I'm there.

New book came out on 11/11, ended up fourth on the library list and I'm currently reading it eagerly. I can predict the ending, with a traditional protagonist-trumps-antagonist, but that doesn't mean that the road leading up to it won't be good.

My main problem is that he sometimes gets too hyped up with battle and then suddenly it's tea for everyone! Then he stays in that passive state for far too long, like in the third book where he goes over dwarf politics so many times, and suddenly jumps back into battle. Whut.

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

The only book series that manages to capture my attention. Read the latest book in 2 days.

Any other series i try to read... i lose interest in. But not the inheritence cycle.

I'm disappointed that we still do not know Angela's back story. She is an amazing character.

Just finished the last book. It was reasonably well-written and exciting in my opinion, but it, unlike what I had hoped, concluded a fairly predictable plot with an unfortunately predictable ending.

Even though I am no good writer, I saw things that could have been added or removed(spoilers!):

As others said, too much detail about Roran. I liked most of the book, save for those chapters. Because they served absolutely no useful purpose to character development or major events in the plot, Paolini should have cut those out altogether except for maybe a select few. Or alternately,he could have actually killed off Roran when the wall fell on him. It would have made the story more interesting as it progressed.

The scenes with Nasuada and Murtaugh in the dungeon had a lot of wasted potential in my opinion. There could have been some much more major character development or plot twists coming out of those. And Murtaugh's rebellion against his master was not surprising to me in the least. It was entirely consistent with his behavior up to that point from my observations.

Galbatorix was way too overpowered. Period. A trump card over magic? And on top of that, dragon ghosts who don't mind trying to destroy the last free creatures of their race? I was hoping they would commit suicide or turn against their master once they met dragons who wanted to free them from misery. If believing their race was completely subjugated and doomed was part of who they were, Sapphira's presence would have nullified their oaths. Finally, omniscience? I would have enjoyed seeing his reaction to surprises without knowing the "name of magic" instead of seeing a character with powers just short of God's.

Honestly, after finishing book 3, I didn't even think Arya would get the green dragon because it was too predictable. I was hoping it would be Roran, Elva, or possibly even Angela after I read the third book. Looking back, it would have been much more interesting if a Varden spy or elf managed to snatch the green egg and bring it back, only for a half-dwarf or half-urgal in the Varden to accidentally make it hatch and give the good guys another rider, as well as bringing one of the other races into the pact via the rider's ability to be a rider. This could have been a major surprise for Galbatorix and made my thoughts on dragon ghosts turning around and killing him very much feasible.

Despite my criticisms, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look foward to any new series Paolini writes if he continues the improvements in writing I saw and learns from his mistakes in the Inheritance cycle.